Start by marking “Gone to the Dogs” as Want to Read:
Gone to the Dogs

Gone to the Dogs

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Published July 7th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Gone to the Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone to the Dogs

Lorihudeck
While this book did arrive before I left for the beach, it is not going to make it there as I finished it in one day. I loved Rena, the casually Jewish protagonist. Guterson manages to make Rena's struggle to get over Brian (her fiance who moved in with someone else and let his dad break the news) in a way the felt very real. Told in the first person, I felt as if I could be telling parts of the story. The pacing was good, moving fast enough to keep me from wanting to slap Rena and yet taking th ...more
Susan
This book caught me with the first paragraph. It takes you on rides that are funny and at the same time heart wrenching. Females around the world will relate with the main character. Like most females at one time or another, Rena gets dumped. The difference being that Brian had been her boyfriend for seven years. Rena takes you through her bouts of anger and depression. You walk with her through moments of insanity--like when she decides to steal the dog that belongs to Brian and his new girlfri ...more
Wendy
This was a very easy and enjoyable book to read. Fans of Jennifer Weiner and Meg Cabot will love this book. The main character is Rena, a college-educated waitress with no motivation to live up to the potential everyone else thinks she has. Rena's fiance (together 7 years) finds a new love on a trip and doesn't have the decency to break up with her properly, instead allowing his father to tell her. Rena is obsessed with the fact that his new relationship seems to be moving faster than the one th ...more
Wendy
This was a nice, light, quick read. Great for the beach. I have been reading so many intense books this summer, that I really enjoyed a break. However, even tho it was light and fun, it was well written. Kind of reminded me of Jennifer Weiner's books...which I always enjoy in spite of myself! The main character of the story is Rena, who is broken up with her long term boyfriend and is having trouble getting over him. I'd probably diagnose her as depressed. Her well meaning family tries to help h ...more
Nicole
Rena's fiance's dad was the one to break the news about the new girlfriend, so she stole said new girlfriend's dog. Makes perfect sense. Of course, Rena lives in building that doesn't allow dogs and a friend of the ex is another tenant, but really what could go wrong? Then there's the whole bit where Rena's mom starts dating again and thinks Rena should too, her sister is in crisis, and her job pretty much sucks. It should be depressing, but it's really just funny.
Mary Guterson
Jul 10, 2009 Mary Guterson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
well i wrote this book so what can i say? it was great!
Jane
Jan 18, 2010 Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Patt
Totally entertaining and laugh-out-loud funny. Rena is the endearing narrator in this wonderful Jewish satire. Rena, the younger of two daughters, has earned graduate school credits but, she has spent the last too many years with Brian and waiting tables. And she cannot understand how her main supplier of recreational drugs, her older sister, has become an Orthodox Jew, replete with wig and all-things-kosher, at the behest of her husband. Brian, Rena's long-time boyfriend who actually proposed m ...more
Just - The romance reader
The pages of Gone to the Dogs are dripping with sarcasm thanks to the story's main character, Rena. She is a hugely sarcastic, witty, albeit unmotivated and somewhat confused Jewish girl.

After being unceremoniously dumped by her boyfriend/fiance of seven years, Rena decided to steal his dog. The decision isn't made out of revenge so much as it's an event that sort of just happens for lack of anything better to do while Rena is angry and hurt by the break-up.

Overall, the story of Rena's dog the
Cursingmama
It is amazing what the green eyed monster can drive good people to do. After years of believing shes found "The One" Rena finds he didn't feel the same way when he goes and moves in with a tall, athletic, blond; what other choice did she have but to steal borrow what she sees as the symbol of this new relationship..... their dog.

This not so simple act leads the reader down a fast paced and cleverly written tale of learning to lift the veil of self deception and accept that things aren't really a
Theresa
LOVED this book!! It was such a fun read, honestly, I don't think I've enjoyed a character this much since Jennifer Weiner's Good In Bed. I just felt that Rena was so down to earth, so disorganized, confused, etc. at times, that you couldn't help but love her!! The story was one we can all relate to I feel, getting dumped and then doing something stupid....I even enjoyed the peripheral characters like her sister & mother- and ESPECIALLY Chuck!!
Diane
I really enjoyed this book. I was caught up right from the opening paragraphs. It is a story about relationships and family and just how life and events can just start spiraling out of control.
The main character, Rena, is funny and real(and possibly in need of some therapy!)I will definitely recommend this book to my girl friends. A thoroughly fun and enjoyable summer read!
Definitely a guilty pleasure, about as close to chick lit as I can bring myself, but very snarky and funny in spots, and how can you resist a book where, in the very first chapter, our heroine steals her exe's dog? I haven't had a romantic break up since the 1980s, but for some reason, strongly identified...maybe cos I love dogs?

Anyway, fun but lightweight.
Emily Crow
Summary:

After Rena, a slovenly and underachieving 30-something, is dumped by her long-term boyfriend/almost-fiance, she gets a bit obsessive and kidnaps his yellow lab. And she doesn't even like dogs. Meanwhile, she has plenty to distract her due to her mom's sudden new love interest, her sister's religious crisis, and the personable yet shy new man that her family keeps trying to steer her towards. Will she get over the creep and settle down with Mr. Nice? Will she figure out what she wants to
Gwen
Gone to the Dogs was a pretty easy read, and at the same time was funny and keep me interested. Overall I really enjoyed the book, and would definitely read it again! One thing I really liked, is how the author provided enough pertinent information about the Orthodox Jewish faith, without distracting from the main plot of the book.
A. Gamble
I won this in a First Reads contest in July of 2009. It is completely not my type of book, but someone who's a fan of so-called "chick lit" might enjoy it. Guterson is witty, but her plot failed to grasp me. I gave this book to a coworker who loves the Twilight series and she enjoyed it on a rainy Friday afternoon.
Anne
Happy, funny, light....great dialogue, and engaging characters with just the right blend of two versus three dimensionality to let you really enjoy the dissing that the jerk of the story gets, and totally believe in the happy-ever-after ending for the main characters. Fun summer read!
Diane
I absolutely LOVED this book! It was the perfect light read and very hard to put down. It was packed with humor on every page and truly enjoyable from start to finish. I look forward to reading another of Mary Guterson's books!
Christine
Another Guterson and another enjoyable fast read. The author isn't trying for a Pulitzer but she creates characters that are real people in (unfortunately at times) real situations. Will continue to read her next book.
Jan
I've been waiting for the next book by this author and I wasn't disappointed. It was funny and I read it in 2 days which is pretty fast for me. If you like Sandi Shelton then you will probably enjoy this author also.
Gina
cute enough quick read.
Katie
Very cute story. All the characters were likable and the writing was funny and made it a hard-to-put-down kind of story, which are my favorite. This is a book I'll keep and read again when I need a good laugh.
Kate
I actually really enjoyed this book. Its a cute coming of age book about a young Jewish woman in Seattle. Its a very fast and light read. Perfect palette cleanser or beach reading.
Perkimom
What a fun book! Lots of laughs at old boyfriends and revenge, our parents, our siblings, and ourselves. Great beach or lazy afternoon read for pure enjoyment.
Molly
Ever had a bad breakup? Wanted to claw that other bitch's eyes out? Great book, even a little therapeutic! She steals the happy couples dog, got to love that :)
Candace
Hillarious! Quick easy read. I enjoyed the charaters and the authors wit. If you want something to make you laugh out loud, read this one!
Bobbi
Sep 22, 2014 Bobbi added it
Rena never meant to steal her ex-boyfriend's dog. She was just casually driving by his new house, taking stock of his new life, when the dog invited himself into her car...Okay, so she stole the dog. But how could Brian, her boyfriend of seven years (not to mention “unofficial” fiancé), have done this to her? Fallen off the face of the earth, only to resurface with a gorgeous, live-in girlfriend and live-in dog? Honestly, a girl can only take so much. Besides, how could a yellow lab as great as ...more
Mary Anne
I'm not a regular "chic lit" reader but this one slipped into my book group list! Enjoyable.
Allison
Very enjoyable, light reading about a woman who "accidentally" steals her ex-boyfriend's dog.
Nikki
Jun 13, 2011 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: friends, chick lit fans
This was a pretty good chick lit book. It was light and entertaining - not too predictable either.
Lisa Pfeffer
Cute story about family relationships and couple relationships
  • Cowboy (The Harmony Series #1)
  • The Shiksa Syndrome: A Novel
  • A Date You Can't Refuse
  • Turning Japanese
  • Courage Dares (Sisters of Spirit, #4)
  • Brenda's Christmas Desire (Dreams Come True #2)
  • When She Flew
  • Always Ready
  • No More Running
  • Barbie & the Beast
  • Somewhere My Love (Somewhere in Time, #1)
  • Always Yesterday
  • Dare Me
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
  • Love Can Be Murder (boxed set of humorous mysteries)
  • Saving Grace (Madison Falls, #1)
  • Worth The Trouble (Texas Trouble, #9)
  • Hardly Knew Her: Stories
We Are All Fine Here Ein Hund ist auch keine Lösung Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices