Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor

Her Mother's Daughter: A Novel of Queen Mary Tudor

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A new novel of sixteent-century royalty from the author of A Question of Guilt

Her name was Mary Tudor. First of the Tudor queens, she has gone down in history as Bloody Mary. But does she deserve her vicious reputation?

She was the daughter of Henry VIII and Katherine of Aragon, and half-sister to Edward VI and Elizabeth I. Mary Tudor's life began as the sweetly innocent...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Berkley Trade

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirThe Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa GregoryThe Constant Princess by Philippa GregoryThe Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory
Best Books About Tudor England
288th out of 385 books — 1,106 voters
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryPersuasion by Jane AustenPippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey
Headless Women
197th out of 431 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

MAP
This is not the subtlest rendition of the life and times of Mary Tudor.

It's obvious from the prologue that this book was not meant to be read by people who are already knowledgeable about Mary Tudor and her story. The book makes it clear that it wants to shatter your preconceived notions about Mary, which, of course, if you've read a lot about the period, have long since been shattered.

Historical events are over simplified, and people often seem to be broad brushstrokes of their true selves, pre...more
Marie
Dec 04, 2009 Marie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Julianne Lee attempts to bring to modern day readers the sympathetic view of Mary Tudor, the misunderstood queen of the sixteenth century. Queen Mary did not have an easy life, and the author immediately sets off to show her readers the myriad of different situations that she was placed in due to the fact that she was the daughter of King Henry VIII. Most Tudor era fans know the story of this Mary Tudor, who was otherwise known as Bloody Mary due to her excessive execution of heretics. She was t...more
Wendy
I was intrigued by the subject and by the author's intention to offer a different perspective on the monarch affectionately known as Bloody Mary. The biggest problem for me was not the fact that the author's attempts to humanize Queen Mary often came at the negative portrayals of those around her (for I am sure Henry VIII was no picnic), nor was it the unapologetic justification for her later actions as Queens (i.e. being banished and declared illegitimate by her father; her nearly life-long per...more
Gail
I really enjoyed this book. It was a very relaxing read and very well written. I am looking forward to reading more of Julianne Lee, and I am sure I will become a dedicated fan.
The story goes very smoothly and Mary Tudor is not as bloody in this book. This gave me more of an insite into Phillip too. Until now I have been very uncomfortable when reading about these two. But now I feel that I know them better and look forward to finding out more about them.
The story includes some of the everyday...more
Clare
History has taught us to be sympathetic to Elizabeth Tudor, but generally ignores Mary Tudor, Henry’s rightful heir from his legal marriage to Catherine of Aragon. This book was a sympathetic look into Mary Tudor’s life, from her carefree spoiled childhood; to her bewilderment at her father’s marriage to “that whore;” to banishment and loss of title, struggle to maintain her faith, loyalty to her mother and father and her marriage.

The sexism in this book was rampant and only emphasized for me El...more
Anne
Overall this is a great read, especially for Tudor fans. It shows Mary Tudor as a sensitive and lonely woman with a very sad and troubled life. The religious and relationship aspects were well explored. But a few extra characters in the book made the story disjuncted at times and distracted from what really matters.
Hannah Kirkhart
I think the author did a pretty good job trying to argue Queen Mary's point of view, and I did become more sympathetic, but overall she did not succeed in winning me over. And that may be my fault as the reader, not being open enough. Otherwise, I did enjoy reading this book and learning more about this historical figure that I didn't know as much about. She is too often eclipsed by her sister Elizabeth or the infamous Anne Boleyn, so I appreciated getting to know more about the problems she dea...more
Shannon
Mary Tudor, the only surviving child of the union of Henry VIII and his first wife Catherine of Aragon, was born into royal splendor but life soon taught her that nothing lasts forever. She was truly her mother’s daughter, clinging to the Catholic faith they shared while at the same time this very devotion separated them when they needed the comfort of the other the most. Mary has been vilified by history; “Bloody Mary” really says it all. Personally, I have never cared for the woman I have come...more
Amanda
After reading Lee's take on Mary, Queen of Scots, I had high hopes for what she might do with Queen Mary Tudor. Bloody Mary is one of the most hated and reviled monarchs in English history and Lee has uncovered a side of her that shows Mary as a sympathetic character.

I'm not usually a fan of prologues, but as soon as I opened the book and started reading I was hooked, and it was the prologue's doing. From then on everything just kept getting better. Mary was not a vicious woman, determined to ki...more
Robin
This was my first Queen Mary book. I had little knowledge of her, other than what I saw on The Tudors and had read online. I thought that this was a very good book as far as explaining who Queen Mary was and what she had endured throughout her life. If this was the only thing that I knew about her, I would never truly grasp why she was referred to as Bloody Mary. This book does make me want to read more to understand her better and why historically she is so disliked as a Queen. This book almost...more
Teddy
Mary Tudor had a very hard life as a child. First she was the object of her father's, King Henry VIII affection. Then cast out as a illegitimate child with her mother Catherine of Aragon. She went from Princess to Lady and was to be re-trained to accept her new rank and the new religion.

When Henry married Jane, Mary was finally returned to the Castle and reunited with her father but still as a Lady not a princess. Before his death, Henry VIII reinstated Mary as princess and was to be queen in t...more
Mar 28, 2014 Jennifer marked it as didn-t-couldn-t-finish
This was a weirdly written book. The short blurbs of first-person narrative followed by much longer and plodding third-person was poorly executed. If Lee had focused on one or the other, this may have been more successful.
Alex
This was definitely a different type of Tudor book. I loved the first chapter - where a group of modern-day girls are having a slumber party and decide to call up "Bloody Mary" in the mirror. That's where the story begins, when Mary does appear after they have fallen asleep to tell her story.

I enjoyed this, but something felt a little "off" the entire book. Maybe it just sped through a little too quickly. She talks about Anne having Elizabeth and being executed in about two sentences, and more t...more
Maria
This book paints Mary as a sympathetic character who lived and died tragically lonely and was prudish. I believe that Mary would have been as convicted that she was right as depicted in this book, but I don't understand how someone so pious and "Christian" could possibly burn heretics. I don't think in this book she seemed aware of the horror of burning people, and maybe that's how she was able to do so. Her resentment of Elizabeth is understandable, her devotion to Philip sad, and her pregnanci...more
M
I did not like her writing style. Mary wasn't telling the story, but her comments (made after her death) were sprinkled throughout the book. Bit of random commoners' stories were thrown in, too. It seemed like a strange patchwork. The story was okay. I think the author was trying to be creative with subject matter that's been done many times before, but I just didn't like it.
Thalia
This was so superficial I could hardly stand it! And so full of modern words and idea it was ridiculous. I'm having a hard time coming up with some redeeming qualities....um....it was relatively short? One dimensional characters, an author who seems to have very little understanding of tudor life, and an absolute ridiculous "voice" of Mary. Steer clear folks.
Rachel
This book is O.K. I'm sure there are better written books out there about Mary Todor and this book made me want to read one of them. Overall it seems she had a lonely difficult life. It makes me glad I'm not royalty. I have read other books about this time period and this book did help fill in some of those places looked over in the other books.
Christine
This is the first historical novel I have read about Mary Tudor and it was refreshing to change from the other Tudor stories I have read. Mary was certainly a tragic figure in the Tudor saga. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the Tudors and who would like to a change from the characters whose stories are usually told.
Paula
This book was pretty slow-going at some points and I felt that the ending was a bit corny. Other that, though, it was a very good book. All too often in books regarding the Tudor family, Mary's point of view is largely ignored. This was an enlightening book in regards to how Mary must have felt thoughout the events of her life.
Rebekah
Great Historical fiction. I loved, loved, loved the prologue and epilogue about the slumber party playing "Bloody Mary". There were certain moments in her life that I would have liked to have been covered in more detail but for the most part this was a great read. I will being looking for more of Lee's books in the future.
Elizabeth
lee skips over important sections of mary's life, while dwelling on trivial details. not to mention that the prologue & epilogue are entirely pointless. not that great of a tudor novel, but still provides a half decent chronology of mary's life.
Tracy
Not a fan of this one. The book is basically a long, drawn out exercise for the author to tell me Mary's life story. The characters are one-dimensional and I hated the 'Bloody Mary' front and end tags.
Linda Lipko
As I systematically try to read books on my shelf, I found this one regarding Mary Tudor. While it was disappointing, I managed to finish the book. That is about all I can say.

Not recommended. No Stars
Amanda
I like real historical fiction...this doesn't even come close. Should've stopped myself right away after reading the "bloody Mary" prologue, but I kept going thinking it would get better. It didn't.
Lauren Koffs
It wasn't bad, but some of the devices used by the author were gimmicky and some of the information was...outdated, or just plain wrong. And the author certainly needs to brush up on royal forms of address.
Sandie
I loved this book! I thought the author did a fabulous job creating a visually stimulating story that was full of intense emotion. It was so difficult to put this book down. Definitely a good read.
Cynthiaj
A nice story. It read quickly without getting bogged down in the historical facts. An interesting take on Mary's "motivations." I thought the end of Mary's reign was glossed over a bit though.
Caroline
It was interesting to read a different perspective on "Bloody Mary". It's as if she was, well, human. Weird.
Jackie
Now it's time for Mary Tudor to tell her accounts of growing up in a world of turmoil.
Anne
The first half of the book seemed to drag. The second half was better.
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Plain Jane
  • Young Bess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #1)
  • His Last Letter: Elizabeth I and the Earl of Leicester
  • The Sixth Wife
  • Mary Boleyn: The True Story of Henry VIII's Favourite Mistress
  • Dear Heart, How Like You This?
  • Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love
  • Edward VI: The Lost King of England
  • The Fifth Queen
  • The Mistresses of Henry VIII
  • King's Fool: A Notorious King, His Six Wives, and the One Man Who Knew All Their Secrets
  • In the Shadow of Lady Jane
  • The Queen's Handmaiden
  • Vengeance Is Mine: A Novel Of Anne Boleyn, Katherine Howard, And Lady Rochford  The Woman Who Helped Destroy Them Both
  • The Queen's Mistake (In the Court of Henry VIII, #2)
  • Rival to the Queen
  • The Concubine
In the words of Bill Cosby, "I started out as a child." I was born in California, at the age of about zero, on the United States Naval Base at Point Mugu. Dad was a pilot and Mom a former WAVE. For about a year I was an only child, but then my brother was born, and over the years I collected siblings like they were beanie babies. A brother, two sisters, later on a half sister, and we'll not get in...more
More about Julianne Lee...
A Question of Guilt: A Novel of Mary, Queen of Scots, and the Death of Henry Darnley Son of the Sword (Mathesons, Book 1) Knight Tenebrae (MacNeil, #1) Sword of King James (Mathesons, Book 3) Knight's Blood (MacNeil, #2)