Start by marking “The Maxims of Manhood: 100 Rules Every Real Man Must Live By” as Want to Read:
The Maxims of Manhood: 100 Rules Every Real Man Must Live By

The Maxims of Manhood: 100 Rules Every Real Man Must Live By

Your dog must be larger than a toaster. Tip well. Never use the word "blossom." Outperform the GPS. Know how to chug a beer (and know that you shouldn't). Always hold the door. Never use emoticons.

These are The Maxims of Manhood. They cover every aspect of life: women, sports, sex, the office, family, entertainment, fashion, fitness, and more women. Some of these you'd exp
Published May 18th 2009 by Adams Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Maxims of Manhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maxims of Manhood

Becki
Nov 11, 2009 Becki rated it really liked it
Kyle and I both read this and it was laugh out loud hilarious! The rules of manhood laid out in a "how to."
Warning..... there are a few rules that don't necessarily fit into a conservative culture.
Amy
Oct 08, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
This book is so hilarious.
Matthew
Jun 15, 2009 Matthew rated it liked it
This is one of the funniest books that I have ever read. It has some interesting info on life, love, and many other aspects of manhood. Definitely a must read.
Dachokie
Jul 29, 2011 Dachokie rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology
You've got to admit ... men really do need books like this., July 13, 2010

My interest in this book was sparked by a quest to find a simple, humorous and self-deprecating book about the "man's world". While there are several book titles available that piqued my interest; I chose "The Maxims of Manhood: 100 Rules Every Real Man Must Live By" primarily because it covered a wide range of topics and more importantly, the simple, structured format of the book: a finite and tangible list of items (maxi
Drew
Mar 03, 2010 Drew rated it it was amazing
OK, so I highly recommend this book to all men. Especially men with a desire to become men.

First off, it's hilariously written. I actually would regular crack up, out loud, completely alone while reading.

Secondly, despite some hyperbole for comedic sake, many of these maxims are very good and useful advice. Seriously.... this is the kind of book men should read and quote to each while out. I have already found myself telling friends gems from the book like:

-You don't cheat.
-Your dog is larger
Kelly Crigger
Feb 24, 2013 Kelly Crigger rated it it was amazing
What I like about this book is how WIlser comes right out and says "Why would a real man buy a book about being a real man?" Wilser doesn't purport to be the expert on manliness, but takes no remorse in diving headfirst into the little nuances of life where we make the seemingly innocuous decisions that actually define how manly we are. This book covers a wide range of topics like tipping, shaving, dancing, drinking, grilling meat, bro-hugging, using a GPS, working out, testing yourself, and of ...more
Frank
Jan 22, 2016 Frank rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
The Maxims of Manhood is well-crafted, entertaining, and true to life. As the sub-title indicates, the book includes "100 rules every real man must live by", and below are some partial examples of what you'll find among the maxims:

* Your dog must be larger than a toaster.
* Tip well.
* Never use the word "blossom."
* Know how to chug a beer (and know that you shouldn't).
* Always hold the door.Never use emoticons.

The Maxims of Manhood is definitely light reading and targeted at men, but it's funny a
Scott Smith
Got pitched this by a publicist via work and decided to check out a review copy in case I ever needed the author as a source for an article. So far it's really good and a lot smarter/funnier/mature than I expected.
Aug 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
It was a good casual read. There were definitely parts that had me laughing out loud. It was easy to read when I was busy: reading a maxim or two and being able to put it down was convenient.
Richard
May 15, 2016 Richard rated it liked it
Easy and enjoyable enough. Good couple of chuckles along the way.
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Garrett
Garrett rated it it was ok
May 24, 2013
Bartonbrewery
Bartonbrewery rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Brandon
Brandon rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2013
Jen Ng
Jen Ng rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Griffoncloud
Griffoncloud rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Yuri
Yuri rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2014
Cody
Cody rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2010
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
May 05, 2010
Geoff Fuller
Apr 04, 2017 Geoff Fuller rated it really liked it
This book is a great, quick read. It has many "rules" for being a man. Some are true, like knowing how to properly tip, knowing how to make a good breakfast, etc. and some are purely for humor, like only knowing primary colors or things of that nature.
Dolly
Dolly rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
S
S rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Laura rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Alexandre Andrade
Alexandre Andrade rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2013
Farhan T-fix
Farhan T-fix rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Gemar Fantillo
Gemar Fantillo rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2015
Daniel Edgren
Daniel Edgren rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2012
Philip Shing
Philip Shing rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeff Wilser is the author of Alexander Hamilton's Guide to Life.

He's also the author of four other books, including The Good News About What’s Bad For You… and The Bad News About What’s Good For You, which was named an Amazon Best Book of the Month.

His writing has appeared in print or online in GQ, New York magazine, Time, Glamour, Cosmo, VH1, Esquire, mental_floss, MTV, Los Angeles Times, Chicag
More about Jeff Wilser...