Start by marking “Liberty's Crusade (Starcraft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Liberty's Crusade (Starcraft, #1)

Liberty's Crusade (Starcraft #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,540 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Far in the future, 60,000 light-years from Earth, a loose confederacy of Terran exiles is locked in battle with the enigmatic Protoss and the ruthless Zerg Swarm. Each species struggles to ensure its own survival among the stars in a war that will herald the beginning of mankind's greatest chapter -- or foretell its violent, bloody end.

Danny Liberty was a good reporter...t

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Liberty's Crusade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberty's Crusade

Turd Ferguson
This book is okay, but not nearly as transcendent in literature as Pride and Prejudice. 0/10 would not read again.
Nathan
Sep 21, 2014 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best if read: right after playing Episode I (Terran) of Starcraft.

This book is actually pretty good. It gives a really good background to pretty much all of the events in Episode I of Starcraft. Though told from the point of view of Michael Liberty, you still get a really good glimpse into the characters of Raynor, Kerrigan and Mengsk.

Being a news reporter, Liberty tries to give you all of the pertinent details that go on in the Zerg start coming into the Koprulu Sector without tainting the eve
Dino
Sep 10, 2015 Dino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, i'd question my objectivity on any book that's related to StarCraft, simply because i consider myself to be a HUGE fan of the series and the story. Bearing that in mind, this is my opinion on the book.

The book takes place during the Terran campaign in the video game StarCraft.

At first i was a bit skeptical as to how the story would be told through the eyes of a Confederate reporter, but it turned out to be very good (in my opinion). The book covers a lot of background story that p
Hsien Ming
Liberty's Crusade is set in the popular video game universe of Starcraft, following the story of Michael Liberty, a journalist with a conscience, as he is sent to the front lines of alien contact, in search of a story. Although Liberty is the man whose eyes we see from, this vignette truly centers around two of the main characters of the video game, namely Jim Raynor and Sarah Kerrigan. Liberty provides a retelling of their circumstantial meeting, and their burgeoning relationship through the ho ...more
Steve
Apr 13, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica
Nov 05, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I am really enjoying this book! Sci-fi isn't a my normal reading material. Also I have never played the video game.

I am reading this book with my boyfriend, we are going back and forth each chapter. I am excited he is reading, and he is excited I am enjoying something StarCraft.

Nick & I have completed this book. Since we are reading together I am excited to see what book we will jump to next.

For someone who has limited knowledge of the Starcraft game this book was entertaining. I sta
Dactyl
Aug 31, 2015 Dactyl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun little read. StarCraft was one of the first video games I ever played, so it has a big nostalgia factor.

The loose story of the games give room for a lot of artistic liberty. The main character of Mike Liberty (he's called 'Danny' on the back cover) is a little cheesy, but not unlikable. The plot follows closely to the game's, using Mike as a plot device to get from scene to scene.

The other characters are written pretty well, this is not high art by any means, but nothing stood out
Marcos Bolaños
Un libro que fue de mas a menos... Los primeros capítulos si te dejan con ganas de seguir leyendo, la "intriga" la desarrollan muy bien en los primeros capítulos, pero conforme avanza el libro, este se "desinfla" totalmente, pasando de ser un muy buen libro a pasar algo "normal" casi llegando a lo mediocre.

Al ser un libro, uno se esperaría que el autor profundizará en algunos detalles, como por ejemplo en como fueron las batallas pero no, nada de eso pasa.

Creo que en este libro no le dan la impo
Muhammad Qayyum
Brian Lewis
Mar 24, 2015 Brian Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really entertaining book. Initially, I wasn't too interested in starting it, thinking that it would just be a boring rehash of the game's story elements, however it's very well written. I was also very skeptical about this being from a reporter's perspective, but the character is really well done, interesting, and fit right into the action. I'm glad to be proven wrong, and I'm glad that I read this book. If you like this universe, definitely give this one a read.
Kayl Karadjian
Oct 12, 2015 Kayl Karadjian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The StarCraft universe is one that has always been interesting. Liberty's Crusade reflects that, showing us the perspective of a news reporter during horrible attacks from Zerg and revealing the truth of conspiracy. That's what has always made StarCraft compelling: nothing is black and white. Every side has its own agenda.
Petrow
May 28, 2014 Petrow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is a 5* for a Starcraft fan, and 2* if the words Terran/Protoss/Zerg mean nothing to you. Some humour, some battle scene, and a likeable hero in a setting of very strong characters from the SC universe. I liked that one.
Frank Caron
Told through the lens of a character who actually isn't in the game, Grubb's "Liberty's Crusade" is a surprisingly compelling retelling of the events that make up the Terran campaign of StarCraft, and it does a great job at framing the action of the game's narrative in a way that further fleshes out the lore of the world. Is it world-class writing? Of course not. But it succeeds at further entrenching fans in the universe and its characters. Of note, and of particular interest to me, is the way ...more
Hyann
Sep 28, 2011 Hyann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I never really played any starcraft games so I don't really know if this really respect the atmosphere of the computer. I didn't really expect anything from this book since most of the time, adapatation aren't good.

Well this book isn't really deep and didn't really bring anything new in the world of sci-fi. Just simple action, bad Confederation, rebels, aliens menace. I don't know if other books in the serie explain more thing but in this one you just have to take what happening without th
Timothy McNeil
Kind of underwritten, so I'm assuming it meant for a 10-15 year old audience. Having never played the game, some of the attempts at inclusion and description felt clumsy at best. Maybe it would have been better if I were a fan of the setting going in.

And Grubb needed to find a better way to handle the 'Swallow situation'.
Timothy
Nov 26, 2014 Timothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the novella that got me into reading the Starcraft stories. The character that is Michael Liberty, has proven to be a fan favourite, and it's obvious that it pays off for the subsequent stories.
Rob
Aug 03, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Speedtribes
Surprisingly readable; especially as I hadn't been expecting much of anything. It reads as a 'futuristic'(and clearly, fictional) Generation Kill sort of thing where an embedded reporter follows a group of a lobotomized-and-reprogrammed marines on a mission, only to discover that there are some Very Bad Things out there. There was more of a political twist than the basic monster survival story I had been expecting. Which... I'm not sure why I thought that, considering the game world and its stor ...more
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
With the first book, Liberty's Crusade, we are more into the characters of the game. We see how Raynor falls into the grasps of Mengsk. How the confederacy falls as well. We see the beautiful Sarah Kerrigan and how she is crossed and turned into the Queen of Blades. In the end I enjoyed the book. The book was a fast paced one and unfortunately the characters pay dearly with it being a bit more than two-dimensional ones with the sole excpetion of the main character, but what can you expect? In th ...more
Christine
Jul 06, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Starcraft has to be one of the best games ever created. It has an amazing story line, three unique races, amazing leader characters (my favourite being Kerrigan). I was a bit anxious reading this novel that it would not live up to the high standards of Starcraft but I was pleasantly surprised. The book was well written, fast-paced and kept true to the Starcraft world. I loved the points in the novel where they took lines straight out of the first game.

I would probably not recommend to those that
Dragonfire
This is, in fact, just a Terran campaign from SC
Matt Mazenauer
Jul 10, 2007 Matt Mazenauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fun sci-fi romp through the politics and intrigue of the war torn StarCraft universe. It fits in with the plot of the Terran campaign, but as opposed to an adaptation, it runs alongside the action following side characters that are equally important. I enjoyed the detailed descriptions of the things we're used to seeing from an eagle eye view, the horros of the discovery of the zerg are very well written. If you like the game for it's plot I'd recommend the novels as well. God I'm a geek.
Claudiu
A surprisingly competent Sci-Fi read that may not shake the genre in any meaningful way, but can offer a few hours of enjoyable action.
Jeff Grubb is a decent writer and I can see myself being interested in more of his works in the future.
Steer away from the book if you don't have ANY Starcraft knowledge beforehand. A lot of the things described are pretty hard to imagine without the visual aid of the games behind it.
Neil
Dec 15, 2012 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
certainly not amazing literature, as it's a novelization of the storyline in the first starcraft videogame, so nothing new for anyone who's played it (i didn't play it back in the day and recently found the controls unplayably frustrating by today's standards). for the goal of absorbing the setting, it's mainly terran forces with some minimal zerg bestiary, not much protoss.
Matthew
Jun 03, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good sci-fi novel that can get anybody into the StafCraft universe. It was a very easy read, I finished it in one day. This books sheds some light on how Starcraft came about with the different races of the zerg and protoss. Good book and would recommend it to anybody that likes a classic sci-fi novel. I also love Starcraft the game so it could be easier for me.
Parsia
Jun 05, 2010 Parsia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOved the book, only because I LOve Jim Raynor as a Character in the Starcraft game.

The idea of adding another character into an existing plot and to view the world from his eyes was interesting and too familiar as I was doing the same thing in my day-dreams with my beloved books and characters. I would insert myself into the story as a new character.
Samuel
If you played the first campaign of the first StarCraft and wished you could read its plot as a book, that is what this is. That’s pretty much all it is. It’s pretty good as far as that goes, but if you were hoping for more than a novelization of a third (or sixth) of the overall story, this book is not for you.
Ovidiu
Jan 13, 2009 Ovidiu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is like an bonus for all the people out there that enjoy StarCraft. Compare to other SFi Books that I've read, this a average book. The story is simple, I would say to simple (or maybe to short).

Anyway - I don't recommaned this book to anyone that didn't play the game. The other 2 books, don't worth any of your time.
Matt
Aug 04, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book, it follows a reporter named Michael Liberty and he meetsup with famous characters from the game. The book holds pretty true to the story line followingup to kerrigan's demise as a ghost with a few changes here and there..... I highly recommend this to anyone that is a SC lore fan!
Bryan
Apr 17, 2014 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • Shadow Hunters (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #2)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Starcraft: Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost Series #2)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • The Kingdom of Shadow (Diablo, #3)
  • StarCraft: Frontline, Volume 2

Starcraft (6 books)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • The Starcraft Archive (StarCraft, Uprising & #1-3)

“The brew was military style "A"—freshly made and scalding, suitable for pouring down on peasants attacking the family castle.” 1 likes
“Propaganda is a weapon that the Confederacy wields best, and wields heaviest. It is their hammer. And when all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.” 0 likes