Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else

Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  271 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Training Camp is an inspirational story filled with invaluable lessons and insights on bringing out the best in yourself and your team. The story follows Martin, an un-drafted rookie trying to make it in the NFL. He's spent his entire life proving to the critics that a small guy with a big heart can succeed against all odds.
Published May 18th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published April 15th 2009)

Andrea
One of the best books I've ever read! Not just for athletes, but for anyone pursuing greatness and searching for purpose in their everyday life. It is so motivational, and I hope the message gets through to other members of my team who are also reading the book. The author is so positive and inspirational. It is a quick and easy read, but the message is long-lasting and life-changing. Some great quotes can be taken away from this book. Definitely read it if you're interested in self-improvement.
Ryan Dejonghe
Okay, I’ll admit it: this book’s title is what lured me in: what the best do better than everyone else. But something went wrong when I tried ordering all of Jon Gordon’s books from my library system—they didn’t have them all. I think I’ve figured out why. Gordon’s book are not only allegorical, but they are faith-based. While helpful, that is still a one-two punch in the world of business books. Gordon is dealing with a niche market here.

Let me back up, and start with this: Gordon’s best book i...more
Stefanie
the book tells a story about Martin Jones, a sportsman who play rugby - but unfortunately suffers leg injury after his amazing goal at a game. this leg injury might cause him to be kicked out of the training camp; and he also won't get any money to pay for her mother's operation. during his injury, he met a very special coach who shares eleven life-changing lessons that keep Martin's dream alive-and might even make him the best of the best. even though the story is about a sportsman, the lessons...more
Tina Klinesmith
If you have ever read anything written by Jon Gordon, you know that he often writes in fables. Training Camp is no exception and the first book that I am recommending to my children. Both of my boys are football players and this book is a great playbook for life.

A personal development book disguised as a fiction tale of Martin Jones, a young football player attempting to be drafted by an NFL team in training camp. When what could be disaster strikes and an injury sidelines him, he’s stressed, sc...more
Kirsten Davis
Personally, this book was one of the most inspirational books I have read. One of the reasons this book is so inspirational is the characters came to life, and spoke like they are talking to the reader but they are really not.
The pace of the book was perhaps slow, not a lot would happen within four or five chapters. For example, Martin got injured in the third chapter, but for a few chapters Martin was talking about his recovery more than him actually saying his experiences at the NFL camp.The...more
Gary Baker
This book was ok. It has some decent self-leadership lessons, but mostly cliches that are worked in through a somewhat corny sports story. It also surprised me in being a spiritual book to a degree, which I wasn't expecting. About halfway through it shifts into having faith in God and relying on a higher power. I don't have any issue with that except that nothing in the description indicated that.
Jose Martinez Hernandez
Easily read and inspiring story with 11 great tips to become better at what you do.
Michelle
This was a really quick read, which I always enjoy, but more importantly, it got me thinking about my own life and faith as I progressed through the book. It was given to me as a gift from a friend and I'm so glad she thought of me after reading it herself. I will be passing this along to others in my life!
David
Motivation for one to be the best they can be.
Jim
This book has some value and some common sense advice based on several coaches the author has been influenced by. I found myself wishing the author would let the reader draw conclusions based on the story without being so direct in the lessons the reader should glean. Guess this made it feel a little “preachy” to me and difficult to digest unless you had the author’s theological/philosophical orientation. That being said, there were some good quotes in the book and the “playbook” contained withi...more
Robert Chapman
I didn't really get anything new from this book. What it does have going for it is that it's a relatively quick read and if you have not read a lot on the topic then there are some good takeaways to be had. Although I am not a football fan, the football setting did work well to convey the message.

The reason I gave it such a low rating is that towards the end of the book it turned into a hard sell on religion and how God is the answer. I'm open to any point of view, but this was very much unexpec...more
Emily Leathers
Apr 27, 2014 Emily Leathers marked it as to-read
3/19/14 read kindle sample
Roarvoll
Ikke særlig
Kelly Haithcock
I really liked this book. I love the setting of this one because I love football and I could relate to it.

The message in this is as good as the rest of Jon's books. I really loved how you could trace the characters back to some of his other books.

Very good read.
Mehmet Yildirim
worth reading..useful experience..
Roger Huddleston
One more motivational business book on achieving your peak performance. Pretty much they same as many of this type of book, just packaged slightly differently. This one seemed to have a stronger emphasis on the spiritual/faith-in-God aspect than some others. Bottom line for me - be crystal clear on your goals, vision, and values, both at work and in your life, and you will do the things it takes to accomplish those goals.
Nicole
I loved this book - much better than The Energy Bus. I recently heard him speak at our company's annual meeting, and he was phenomenal. I'm usually not that riled up by motivational speakers, but I really thought he had a great, basic message that was just very well spoken. He has a new book coming out in September too that looks very good..
Lorenzo
I'd say that training camp is the best book I've read in English.It teached me so many values of what the best do better than the rest. It also teached me how to strive to get what you want. Apart from teaching you about that stuff,it has an intereesting story about a football player.

I REALLY recommend you to read this book
Ursula Biloschaetzke
This is by far my favorite Jon Gordon book. It moved me to sobbing tears, made me laugh out loud and literally changed the way I think about life. I read it in one night and when I finally turned the last page, I immediately got out my notebook and started making plans and jotting down ideas.
Kyler
Very good book.
Chris
One of the better books I have read. Great insight into what makes us better and what drives us to beat ourselves to achieve greatness. This is a quick and easy read for anyone. Great book and will be on my reading list every year!
Bill Donhiser
Like many other management parables. Just done much better. I really enjoyed it. A little more religious based than I care for in my management books it has great points and it is a good way to occupy yourself on a plane trip.
Becca
I didn't find this book inspirational - nothing new as far as insights and I didn't realize when I bought it that it was a religious book either. I wouldn't particularly recommend it to anyone - just nothing exciting about it.
Matthew
I had higher expectations for this book going into it, especially since his previous book, The Energy Bus, was so good. It was a quick and easy read, but it just didn't deliver for me liked I hoped it would.
Chad Stutzman
I read this in one day. Great fundamental lessons on how to succeed in life. I enjoyed the football story line. It is worth the read, a book every teenager or young adult should read.
Priya
I don't usually like sports analogies, but this book was an easy read and it impacts you to become a more motivated leader.
Ravi Sony
Very inspirational - though a bit brief though - I wish Jon had added some more inspirational material on Mental Strength.
Steele Beatty
This was a all around a amazing book. It was a great inspiration to young athletes to get up and try. Even in Tough times.
Jon
Excellent tool to help athletes and young people to think beyond their game to the critical areas of life and faith.
Denise
The ending was good. The beginning and middle were slow. Found myself skip-reading to get to the good stuff.
  • Toughness: Developing True Strength On and Off the Court
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better
  • The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth: Live Them and Reach Your Potential
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • Kicau Kacau: Curahan Hati Penulis Galau
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Turn The Ship Around!: How to Create Leadership at Every Level
  • The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM)
  • 1000 Musim Mengejar Bintang
  • Skill With People
  • Get Out of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior
  • Fitness Confidential
  • 12 Menit
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal...more
More about Jon Gordon...
The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work The Seed: Finding Purpose and Happiness in Life and Work The Positive Dog Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture