Start by marking “Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else” as Want to Read:
Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else

Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else

Training Camp is an inspirational story filled with invaluable lessons and insights on bringing out the best in yourself and your team. The story follows Martin, an un-drafted rookie trying to make it in the NFL. He's spent his entire life proving to the critics that a small guy with a big heart can succeed against all odds. After spraining his ankle in the pre-season, Mar ...more
Published May 18th 2009 by John Wiley & Sons (first published April 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Training Camp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training Camp

Andrea
Sep 09, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read! Not just for athletes, but for anyone pursuing greatness and searching for purpose in their everyday life. It is so motivational, and I hope the message gets through to other members of my team who are also reading the book. The author is so positive and inspirational. It is a quick and easy read, but the message is long-lasting and life-changing. Some great quotes can be taken away from this book. Definitely read it if you're interested in self-improvement.
Tina Klinesmith
Mar 28, 2013 Tina Klinesmith rated it really liked it
If you have ever read anything written by Jon Gordon, you know that he often writes in fables. Training Camp is no exception and the first book that I am recommending to my children. Both of my boys are football players and this book is a great playbook for life.

A personal development book disguised as a fiction tale of Martin Jones, a young football player attempting to be drafted by an NFL team in training camp. When what could be disaster strikes and an injury sidelines him, he’s stressed, sc
Michelle Hoelscher
Jul 28, 2015 Michelle Hoelscher rated it really liked it
Inspiring story about being one's best. It's a very straightforward, easy read. The ideas in this book are not new or secret. However it lays out steps to take to improve and become better than one was before.
Donald E Keim Jr
Very Inspiring!

I really enjoyed this book! It was the right book for me at this time! It helped bring a lot of ideas I had together. I also had a good cry. God works in mysterious ways. Have a great day!
Sam LoPiccolo
great book, very relatable
Jeff Scofield
Dec 12, 2015 Jeff Scofield rated it liked it
"Training Camp" introduces us to Martin, an undrafted rookie running back who enters his first NFL training camp looking to make that leap into the pinnacle of the sporting world. Considered undersized and a relative long shot to make the team, Martin takes the opportunity of his first preseason game and tests his doubters when he makes a couple of truly electrifying plays. Unfortunately, they come with a cost as he injures himself during his final run. The coaches still liked what they saw enou ...more
Kirsten Davis
Oct 11, 2013 Kirsten Davis rated it really liked it
Personally, this book was one of the most inspirational books I have read. One of the reasons this book is so inspirational is the characters came to life, and spoke like they are talking to the reader but they are really not.
The pace of the book was perhaps slow, not a lot would happen within four or five chapters. For example, Martin got injured in the third chapter, but for a few chapters Martin was talking about his recovery more than him actually saying his experiences at the NFL camp.The
Ryan Dejonghe
Feb 20, 2014 Ryan Dejonghe rated it liked it
Okay, I’ll admit it: this book’s title is what lured me in: what the best do better than everyone else. But something went wrong when I tried ordering all of Jon Gordon’s books from my library system—they didn’t have them all. I think I’ve figured out why. Gordon’s book are not only allegorical, but they are faith-based. While helpful, that is still a one-two punch in the world of business books. Gordon is dealing with a niche market here.

Let me back up, and start with this: Gordon’s best book i
Meg Brandt
May 02, 2016 Meg Brandt rated it it was amazing
I will be taking on the opportunity to play college soccer next year and plenty of nerves run through my body. I have been made great relationships with several coaches but one in particular has impacted my life greatly and told me to read Training Camp. As I started reading it, I thought it would be just like every other motivational book about athletes. But Training Camp is not that stereotypical book. I did not want to set the book down and I believe the writing style had a lot to do with th ...more
Stefanie
the book tells a story about Martin Jones, a sportsman who play rugby - but unfortunately suffers leg injury after his amazing goal at a game. this leg injury might cause him to be kicked out of the training camp; and he also won't get any money to pay for her mother's operation. during his injury, he met a very special coach who shares eleven life-changing lessons that keep Martin's dream alive-and might even make him the best of the best. even though the story is about a sportsman, the lessons ...more
John
Dec 23, 2014 John rated it it was ok
Doesn't really say a lot that I don't get from reading blogs on the internet. The bits about God lacks nuance, and I never really appreciate it when someone tries to imply people who lack God in their life are missing something or are broken. This is especially the case because nothing said here really requires an explicit mentioning of God or religious faith just a belief in something larger than one's self (and I think most sensible people have an understanding of that).

Also, the whole thing
Luis
Dec 01, 2015 Luis rated it it was amazing
It’s a really good book. It’s about a football player. His name is Martin. He plays really hard to get in the NFL. In one of his game he made 2 touchdowns. But on the second one, he hurts his ankle, and his coaches and trainers give him advice. He reads books about football. He was on the bench for days. They his trainer called a friend Don. He made his leg better. He touched it and messaged it. And that day it hurt, but the next day it felt better. It was back to normal. Then he started to play ...more
Julie
Luckily, the main points were emboldened, so I did not have to read closely to find them. This is more of the same that I've read in other business/management/leadership books, but with an additional sports metaphor that did not appeal to me at all.

One interesting piece from chapter 32: "The best tap into a power greater than themselves" and "In fact, if you asked the people throughout history who changed the world, they would all tell you that they tapped into the greatest and ultimate power."
Jason Grubbs
Jan 26, 2015 Jason Grubbs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading Jon Gordon's books. I read "The Energy Bus" about a year ago and thought I'd give this one a try. I enjoy the way he tells modern day parables that relate to life. This book is about an athlete who has to face his greatest fear in life - failing and not being able to help his mother who is denying because they can't afford a needed surgery. He has to make the NFL team to get enough money to pay for his mom's surgery. Through training camp, he learns many life lessons from ...more
Jim Warnock
Jun 21, 2011 Jim Warnock rated it liked it
This book has some value and some common sense advice based on several coaches the author has been influenced by. I found myself wishing the author would let the reader draw conclusions based on the story without being so direct in the lessons the reader should glean. Guess this made it feel a little “preachy” to me and difficult to digest unless you had the author’s theological/philosophical orientation. That being said, there were some good quotes in the book and the “playbook” contained withi ...more
Robert Chapman
I didn't really get anything new from this book. What it does have going for it is that it's a relatively quick read and if you have not read a lot on the topic then there are some good takeaways to be had. Although I am not a football fan, the football setting did work well to convey the message.

The reason I gave it such a low rating is that towards the end of the book it turned into a hard sell on religion and how God is the answer. I'm open to any point of view, but this was very much unexpec
Roger Huddleston
Dec 10, 2009 Roger Huddleston rated it liked it
One more motivational business book on achieving your peak performance. Pretty much they same as many of this type of book, just packaged slightly differently. This one seemed to have a stronger emphasis on the spiritual/faith-in-God aspect than some others. Bottom line for me - be crystal clear on your goals, vision, and values, both at work and in your life, and you will do the things it takes to accomplish those goals.
Gary Baker
Jan 27, 2014 Gary Baker rated it liked it
This book was ok. It has some decent self-leadership lessons, but mostly cliches that are worked in through a somewhat corny sports story. It also surprised me in being a spiritual book to a degree, which I wasn't expecting. About halfway through it shifts into having faith in God and relying on a higher power. I don't have any issue with that except that nothing in the description indicated that.
Garret V.
Jan 29, 2016 Garret V. rated it really liked it
Martin wants his shot in the NFL. He got to go to a team's training camp. He played in the first preseason game and scored 2 touchdowns. However in that game he sprained his ankle. He went to one of the coaches who gave him a "playbook." This playbook wasn't like any others he had gotten. This one had ways to become the best of the best. Martin was scared he was going to get cut but the coaches gave him another chance.
Christopher Anderson
Feb 12, 2015 Christopher Anderson rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio
Well, at least its short. I fell for it. I'm not sure if others who gave this good reviews read a different book or if I just wasn't in the mood for this, but I thought it was just bad. I didn't find it inspiring in the least and the advice is about as lame as it gets. I will be asking for my money back on this one.
Nicole
Jul 01, 2009 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book - much better than The Energy Bus. I recently heard him speak at our company's annual meeting, and he was phenomenal. I'm usually not that riled up by motivational speakers, but I really thought he had a great, basic message that was just very well spoken. He has a new book coming out in September too that looks very good..
Scott Wozniak
Nov 09, 2016 Scott Wozniak rated it really liked it
This is a quick, inspirational fictional story. It does have some specific steps you can take, but they're mostly mental/emotional elements. A fun bonus is a strong spiritual thread to the story, where most of these productivity books are short-term and monetary-only. It's not deep precisely because it's short. If you're looking for a quick shot of motivation then this is a good read.
Michelle
Jan 12, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This was a really quick read, which I always enjoy, but more importantly, it got me thinking about my own life and faith as I progressed through the book. It was given to me as a gift from a friend and I'm so glad she thought of me after reading it herself. I will be passing this along to others in my life!
Lorenzo
Oct 19, 2009 Lorenzo rated it it was amazing
I'd say that training camp is the best book I've read in English.It teached me so many values of what the best do better than the rest. It also teached me how to strive to get what you want. Apart from teaching you about that stuff,it has an intereesting story about a football player.

I REALLY recommend you to read this book
Josh
Jan 11, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Training Camp

This is a wonderful store of triumph. However it is a must read for anyone looking to be a better person and leader. This book lays out 11 things to be aware of as you grow. Very applicable on an individual and team purpose.
Kelly Haithcock
Jan 03, 2014 Kelly Haithcock rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I love the setting of this one because I love football and I could relate to it.

The message in this is as good as the rest of Jon's books. I really loved how you could trace the characters back to some of his other books.

Very good read.
Matthew
Apr 23, 2010 Matthew rated it liked it
I had higher expectations for this book going into it, especially since his previous book, The Energy Bus, was so good. It was a quick and easy read, but it just didn't deliver for me liked I hoped it would.
Paul Caris
May 10, 2016 Paul Caris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, principles that apply to us all

I really enjoyed the simple message told through a story of a football season. Jon has a gift of sharing powerful principles through stories
Chris
Feb 12, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
One of the better books I have read. Great insight into what makes us better and what drives us to beat ourselves to achieve greatness. This is a quick and easy read for anyone. Great book and will be on my reading list every year!
Ashley Jonas
Oct 02, 2014 Ashley Jonas rated it really liked it
I listened to this audio book right after "The Energy Bus" and it was great as this was kind of a sequel to that book. But you wouldn't have to read The Energy Bus to understand this book. Again, a great story to illustrate the main motivational points.
  • Toughness: Developing True Strength On and Off the Court
  • Earn the Right to Win: How Success in Any Field Starts with Superior Preparation
  • The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team
  • Practice Perfect: 42 Rules for Getting Better at Getting Better
  • InSideOut Coaching: How Sports Can Transform Lives
  • The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • The Score Takes Care of Itself: My Philosophy of Leadership
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • 10-Minute Toughness: The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins
  • Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life
  • The Carolina Way: Leadership Lessons from a Life in Coaching
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Players First: Coaching from the Inside Out
  • Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh
  • Talent Is Never Enough: Discover the Choices That Will Take You Beyond Your Talent
Jon Gordon is an American business consultant and author on the topics of leadership, culture, sales, and teamwork.

Jon Gordon's best-selling books and talks have inspired readers and audiences around the world. His principles have been put to the test by numerous NFL, NBA, and college coaches and teams, Fortune 500 companies, school districts, hospitals and non-profits. He is the author of The Wal
More about Jon Gordon...