Start by marking “The Cloud Collector's Handbook. by Gavin Pretor-Pinney” as Want to Read:
The Cloud Collector's Handbook. by Gavin Pretor-Pinney
Preview

The Cloud Collector's Handbook. by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The perfect incentive for keeping your head in the clouds, The Cloud Collector's Handbook is a whimsical guide to the wonders of the sky. Throughout, author and cloud expert Gavin Pretor-Pinney catalogs a variety of clouds and gives readers points for spotting them and recording their finds. This fun and useful book features gorgeous full-color photographs that showcase a ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Sceptre

Be the first to ask a question about The Cloud Collector's Handbook. by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

Becky
Cloud collecting is my favorite hobby. I've always enjoyed watch the clouds, always considered myself a bit of a wonderbug, and have always had more pictures of clouds than people on my camera. Then one day when I was researching a supernumerary rainbow I had seen I came across the Cloud Appreciation Society, and subsequently, this book. Its forever changed the way I look at clouds. I've learned so much more about the different types, and the acquisition of bonus points for collecting is both fu ...more
Camelama
A very lovely book that I wish I could afford to purchase, instead of get from the library. I say this because the book is set up so that you can keep notes on which clouds you've seen where - collect them, basically! As I am a birder, this aspect of "listing" clouds appeals to me. I can go birdwatching and cloudwatching at the same time! Keep a yard list of clouds, just like I do birds! A ferry list! An airplane list! Travel list! Oooo, cloud twitchers?

I wish there were more photos of each clou
Arminzerella
This handy little guide offers a fun way to look at the heavens - clouds. With photographs of different cloud formations to help you identify types of clouds, this field guide will have you searching the sky for each kind. (Gavin Pretor-Pinney assigns point values to each of the cloud types/species, so you can rack up a nice score as you collect.) Cool concept. Wish there was an app available that you could use to id cloud types (i.e. take a photo and have it tell you what you're looking at). Si ...more
Katharine
Tried from the library. 6 year old loves it and brings it everywhere. We're ordering a copy! It's great fun to spot different clouds - like looking for ever-changing constellations during the day!

The book is small, hardbound, "pocket" sized.
Stasia
Awesome! This is definitely not the kind of book you'd read straight through, but it's a great reference for when you're looking in the sky and wondering what you're looking at. I keep bringing it out to get some background info about the amazing fall clouds we're seeing in Portland right now.

The pictures are amazing, and it gives you a lot of information in a very accessible way. I have NO background knowledge about sky or weather patterns or anything, but the book all makes sense to me. Pretor
Jenette
Comprehensive to the point and page turning. Photos are magnificent. I know I will be referring to this book quite frequently as my kids and I are tracking weather phenomena for a year. I like Ganin Pretor-Pinney's writing style and I like the humor he throws in. Covers not just meterological, but optical, genera, accessory, supplimentary, and other. Helps are fantastic and point system is very fun. A great addition to the other books in my meterological library.
Stephen
Few people can geek out like my good man Gavin Pretor-Pinney, and I am for sure thankful that for every book that he puts out. His book on waves (traffic waves, ocean waves, light waves, all kinds of waves) is one of my favorite books of all time. And his previous book on clouds shows the art available to every human being on the earth –clouds! This is a companion piece, and light as it is, it can travel with us everywhere there are clouds – which is everywhere.
Michelle-Marie
Sep 01, 2011 Michelle-Marie is currently reading it
Especially handy for a trip through the Southwest or out Midwest or out East in the summertime. Amusingly written, less dry than most field guides, and you get to add up points for the clouds you see. Covers the banal cloud ("It feels wrong to devote as much space to the rather drab and featureless Altostratus...few cloudspotters will be seen to punch the air and high-five upon adding this one...) to the breathtaking Stratocumulus Lenticularis.
Julia
I was meant to find and buy this book.
I've been a cloud/sky appreciator for years, but it never crossed my mind that there is a Cloud Appreciation Society, a book about clouds and even different genera of clouds!
A Fallstreak hole, with a Circumhorizon arc

description
Mountain with a pink "cap"

description
It was great to find out a bit more about my hobby and it is a book I can re-read again and again.
Besides, there is now a guide that can help me identify the beautiful clouds I see and photograph.
Definitely recommend to
Post Defiance
Originally posted at http://postdefiance.com/literary-gift..., written by Sweet Pea Flaherty.

This book is filled with every magical thing a cloud has ever done.Nature-lovers of all ages will become cloud connoisseurs and have a place to transcribe every wonder discovered.
Cathy Cole
I've never been accused of having my head in the clouds, but I should have been because it's one of my favorite things to do-- especially during the summer here in the Sonoran Desert. I knew all the different types of clouds had names, but didn't know them past cumulus and cirrus. When I stumbled across The Cloud Collector's Handbook, I knew I had to have a copy; I'm the type of person who likes to know the names of things.

This little hardcover is broken into five basic chapters: Ten Main Cloud
Eric S
Quite a good introduction -- manageable categories with memorable illustrations. Since my work is affected by weather, having some understanding of clouds (and fluid dynamics generally) is both useful and just interesting.

My big complaint is the near-total lack of metric...but I went ahead and fixed that.

The real win, though -- why I like this book so much -- is that it untangled clouds for me in clear, enjoyable and conversational prose. A very fun book.
Mark Rough
A great book for a small audience.
Adam Palmer
This book lists and shows the different types of clouds. The idea is to "collect" clouds by checking off which clouds you have seen. It is the same idea as bird watching.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
This is a life long companion! I love watching clouds and not only does it classify with great pictures you can journal your sitting.
Alix

You will never look at the sky the same. Beautiful illustrations, text is informative, readable, entertaining and even humorous.
Ann Fisher
What fun! Real information plus wit and lovely illustrations. I have to catch myself that I'm not staring at the clouds when I'm driving!
Miki
An interesting look at the different kinds of clouds and how to identify. Not sure I want to collect them, though.
Stephanie
Another great cloud identification guide, for those days when you can just stare at the sky...
Elsje
Een leuk boekje dat je eigenlijk altijd bij je moet hebben met allerlei wolkvormen erin.
Steve Mitchell
A book that helps with the cloudspotting and gives points if you should spot one
Levi
An entertaining way to learn the basic cloud types. Wish there had been more pictures.
Stuart Ridgway
Love this book. So concise and has a lovely feel. Enjoying it immensely.
Shin Furuya
a great book to read, to refer, to look at, to carry and to give.
Aad
Aug 02, 2011 Aad marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
Jadi tambah pengen baca buku-bukunya Gavin.....
Marianna Monaco
A good handbook for cloudspotters.
Zeee
Zeee marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Magali
Magali marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
  • The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age
  • Pantone: The Twentieth Century in Color
  • Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes
  • The Ultimate Bar Book: The Comprehensive Guide to Over 1,000 Cocktails
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • The Illustrated Insectopedia
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
  • Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth
  • The Oldest Living Things in the World
Gavin Pretor-Pinney is cofounder of The Idler magazine in England, and founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society. (http://www.cloudappreciationsociety.org)
More about Gavin Pretor-Pinney...
The Cloudspotter's Guide The Wave Watcher's Companion: From Ocean Waves to Light Waves via Shock Waves, Stadium Waves, and All the Rest of Life's Undulations A Pig with Six Legs and Other Clouds Hot Pink Flying Saucers and Other Clouds The Ukulele Handbook