Start by marking “The Crayon Box That Talked” as Want to Read:
The Crayon Box That Talked

The Crayon Box That Talked

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,047 Ratings  ·  143 Reviews
"While walking through a toy store, the day before today, I overheard acrayon box with many things to say..."
Once upon a time, Shane DeRolf wrote a poem. It was a deceptively simple poem, a charming little piece that celebrates the creation of harmony through diversity.
The folks at the AdCouncil heard it - and liked it so much that they made it the theme for their 1997 Nat
Unknown Binding, 24 pages
Published January 1st 1997 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Crayon Box That Talked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crayon Box That Talked

Halli
Oct 30, 2013 Halli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-stuff, art, colors
I read this book because it was mentioned in a review of The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt, which I recently read and loved. The reviewer said that Daywalt's book was a rip-off of this similar, older story, so I was curious to see how similar they were.

DeRolf's book is about crayons that do not get along, and are purchased by a little girl who uses them to draw pictures and show how well they all work together. The text is sweet and rhyming, and so is the underlying message. Daywalt's bo
Lisa Vegan
Oct 21, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Lee
When I was a young child I was a crayon fanatic. I loved my box of 64 (the biggest at the time, or the biggest I knew of) and my box of 8 large sized crayons too. So, I’m a fan of drawing with crayons.

I also appreciate books that show the value of teamwork and that show how to appreciate diversity, which this book does.

I really wanted to love it but I just liked it. I might not have been in the optimal mood to read this book.

The colors in the illustrations are crayon hued and I enjoyed that, but
Teri
Apr 14, 2014 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am such a big fan of picture books. Love them!! I had read a book, "The Day the Crayons Quit." I really liked it! I read a review of someone who favored this book and listed the reasons why. They are very different stories, although both are about a box of crayons. I love the message of this book. It is told in poem form and is so sweet.

I think it was published in 1997. This is the synopsis from the jacket cover." Once upon a time in a toy store, there was a box of crayons. The crayons in it
Kirsten Stuber
Nov 15, 2015 Kirsten Stuber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
The Crayon Box that Talked is a colorful book about a box of crayons that are not getting along. The story starts out in a toy store where a little girl hears the crayons bickering and decides to buy that box of crayons and take it home. When she got home, the little girl lays out all of the crayons so that they can see each other. The crayons were very curious and watch the little girl color with all the colors from the box. The green crayon makes grass, blue becomes the sky, yellow the sun and ...more
Maria Rojas
Sep 20, 2015 Maria Rojas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow-books
This is a wonderful story that teaches us about diversity. In The Crayon Box that Talked, a girl goes in a toy store and is drawn to a crayon box that doesn't get along. The Crayons don't seem to like each other. The girl decides to buy this crayon box and teaches them how all of them together create a more beautiful and interesting picture,than on their own. This beautiful story also gives a message to adults; children model what we do. The adults in the children's lives should foster respect, ...more
Kat
Apr 03, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, picture-books
My toddler son loves this book. He will sit and make me read it to him 4 or 5 times in a row. Seriously. A toddler boy will sit for multiple readings of this book. The art is cute, the facial expressions on the crayons particularly so, and the message is clear. The rhyming appeals to the ear without being stupidly sing-song. I'd give this book a 5 but I'm just so sick of reading it that I can't bring myself to give that final star. It's a good book- but toddlers love repetition, and I'm clearly ...more
Kayla
This book is also a story that shares a very important story for readers. This message is important to not just kids but to everyone. Most times in life people are to quick to judge or judge their opinion off of their friends and/or parents. This is not fair and it should be up to each and every individual to choose what it is the do or do not like. This story is about a box of crayons. The red and yellow crayon do not like the orange crayon. Another crayon comes into the story and instantly doe ...more
Kaytlyn Witcher

Activity: Even though this book’s theme is that beautiful things can happen when everyone works together, it can also be used to teach students about diversity. I would use this b
Jordan Smith
Summary: After overhearing some crayons in toy store complaining about one another, a little girl decides to buy them all and take them home. The girl picks up the colors one by one and draws. When the crayons see the picture they have all helped create, they realize that beautiful things can happen when everyone works together.

Jazzmyne
Mar 15, 2015 Jazzmyne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Crayon Box that Talked is a very short and sweet book. It get straight to the point. The message is for children to accept everyone and be kind, and when everyone is kind to one another then it makes others happy and a beautiful "picture". The message is very clear and easy for children of all ages to understand. I love the way that the author used crayons instead of people. The ideas of crayons eliminate any biases that come about when using actually characters. In the book, the yellow and ...more
Bethany McCandless
This is a great children's book that teaches not only about different colors (crayons), but also how each color(crayon) is significant. It also teaches about teamwork, and how when you work together you can accomplish a lot.
Regsly
Dec 21, 2015 Regsly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
A book that talks about how each individual's difference contributes in some way, even if small, to the bigger picture. It's our differences that balance this world, I'd say.
Caitlin
Aug 24, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We received this book as a gift, and autographed copy! My mom met the author at Barnes and Nobles and he was so kind to write one out to my kids.

This is a great story about how everyone is unique, but everyone serves a purpose and is "good at something." I love the lesson in this story as my son has autism, and I am always looking for new books about how everyone is special and different, but that is what makes them perfect!

The rhyming hums along perfectly and really adds to the fun of the stor
Robert Beveridge
Shane DeRolf, The Crayon Box that Talked (Scholastic, 1996)

Cute, if not terribly above-average, book about the celebration of difference—none of the crayons in the box gets along until an optimistic child buys the box, takes it home, and shows all the colors how they have to work together to create a picture. It took the Bean quite a while to warm up to this one, but I think he's getting the hang of it now. Not sure how well it holds up to repeated re-reads, since he never asks for them with thi
Jessica
Dec 04, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-A book about crayons that didn't like to color together.
-Once day their owner made them color together and they created a masterpiece.
-Shows that when you work together you can create something better.
-Working in teams is good and you can learn from others.
-Don't form an opinion on something or someone until you have tried it or got to know them.
-Everybody has a purpose.
-Good book to use when teaching how to write summaries about a book.
-Any grade its a great picture book with a great story.
Alice
Oct 09, 2013 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 3 1/2 stars for me. I liked this book because it is about diversity and getting along. I think people matter, and we all together come together to make a difference.

However, I am surround by people who are just there and don't contribute...they are the puke green color and isn't even in the box and if they are in the box no one wants to use them because it messes up the whole picture with the icky demeanor and sour coloring.

Sure, puke green has its place, but can we live without the puke
Eva Leger
Sep 01, 2011 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Shelves: julias-books
Julia received this on Meet the Teacher night about a week or so ago when we went to her Kindergarten. Her teacher, Mrs. Carroll, had made up a little bag for each of the kids and she had a copy of this book sitting on all of their desks.
While Julia looked around her classroom and participated in a small scavenger hunt I glanced through this book. By the cover I could tell it'd be a story we'd like but I didn't think it would go much beyond 'like'.
I do have to admit that, in our opinions, the st
Traci
Sep 27, 2011 Traci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Crayon Box that Talked by Shane Derolf is a simple story about how to get along with each other. A girl buys a box of crayons that do not get along at all. She begins to draw a picture with each of them, and the crayons begin to realize that when they work together they can make a complete picture. A group works better together than an individual.

While I enjoyed the message behind this book, I found the story too simple for my taste. I finished reading the book and wondered where the rest of
Meghan Porter
Sep 24, 2011 Meghan Porter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"We are a box of crayons that doesn't get along."

I absolutely LOVE The Crayon Box that Talked ! This book has a beautiful and complex message told in a very simple way. The poem starts with a little girl going into a toy store and finding a crayon box where none of the colors get along. The little girls buys the box of crayons and takes them to her house where she begins to draw a picture. The colors begin to see that even though they are all special in their own ways that when they come toget
Young
Mar 15, 2016 Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the better ones I have read. The story is about a bunch of crayons fighting about whose color is the best, and then one day, a little girl buys the box and draws a picture. The crayons look at the picture and see what amazing thing they created together. This book obviously promotes teamwork. All crayons fought over who was better, but once they worked together, their true colors began to shine. All in all, I would recommend this book to all people that wish to teach teamwork ...more
ZebraPrintRocks
This is a rhyming book that Small Stripes really liked to read. She pointed out that she appreciated the use of good grammar in the story, like using, "Nor do I", for example.
Instead of the crayons not liking each other like another book we have read recently, it really brought out the friendship and creative aspects that the box of crays create when used together.
Small stripes insisted on a quick little review, since it was a pretty quick and fun read for her.
Mikayla Sims
I thought that this book was cute and did a good job of explaining that every crayon is unique and that they all bring something to the crayon box.

This book could be used for informing students that they are all unique and that they all bring something to this world and more specifically the class. Each student could create a crayon with words that describe them and then as a class we could create a big box of crayons that could be displayed on a bulletin board.
Halea
This book is read in the form of a poem about crayons that are arguing. The crayons demonstrate diversity because they are all different colors. All cultures could be considered when reading this book. It teaches children to respect one another even though they are different. The book also teaches children how to work together and cooperate with each other because tasks can be completed better that way. Great book for children ages three to seven.
Kimberly
I love this book. My teacher in my block read it to us one day and it has such a good story to it. It is a great book for building team work in your classroom.
It is about a box of crayons that do not get along, at the end of the book, the crayons realize that they are a team and they complete each other.

In my block, my teacher gave us each a seperate crayon and asked us to draw something that is the color of the crayon we have (i.e. Purple crayon, would draw a grape). Then at our table we woul
Alexandria Hiam
Although they are many different colors, the crayons in a box discover that when they get together they can appreciate each other and make a complete picture.

Told in rhyme, this short story makes a great classroom read aloud to begin talking about colors, although illustrations are now outdated.
A

Liesl
Very similar to The Day the Crayons Quit yet not as clever or fun. The messages of teamwork and diversity are strong, but there is barely a conflict here between the crayons to begin with.
Anne
Jan 16, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpl, children-youth
I seldom have truly strong emotions about children's books. I love this book, which I read after reading The Day the Crayons Quit, with which it has been compared. The two books are total opposites. The Crayon Box That Talked is about getting along and diversity - no whining in it at all. The illustrations include a children's drawing (albeit traditionally colored). In The Day the Crayons Quit, the characters bicker and whine and talk about coloring inside the lines. I would consider giving The ...more
Kaquana Oreiro
Feb 15, 2016 Kaquana Oreiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-class
This book and its concept is so cute to me. I like the fact that it showed each crayon was unique in its own way. When we all work together things come out better and colorful. his book promotes communication and working together. This book is very cute . I highly recommend this book.
Fjóla
A fun story about humanized crayons who don't get along. The rhyme is fluid, if not terribly inspiring: "We are a box of crayons / Each one of us unique. / But when we get together ... / The picture is complete."

It's interesting to compare it with the recent The Day the Crayons Quit, and in particular the controversy that surrounded that book with regard to the use of the color peach and the slighted role of the color brown (see this review). The crayon box that talked has indeed a peach colore
  • The Night Before Kindergarten
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Goldilocks and the Three Bears
  • The Sandwich Swap
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick!
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Let It Fall
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • I Am a Rainbow