G-Dog and the Homeboys: Father Greg Boyle and the Gangs of East Los Angeles

G-Dog and the Homeboys: Father Greg Boyle and the Gangs of East Los Angeles

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Originally published in 1995, this paperback edition updates us on the lives of the homeboys with whom Father Greg Boyle continues to work, allowing for a unique analysis as to how some former gang members are able to make it out, while others are not.
Published October 28th 2004 by University of New Mexico Press (first published July 14th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about G-Dog and the Homeboys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G-Dog and the Homeboys

Kittykate
I read this book about Father Greg Boyle's work with the gangs in East L.A. after I read Boyle's own, recently published Tattoos on the Heart. I think this is the right order.
Although I knew something about Homeboy Industries, one of the business Boyle started to help gang members turn their lives around, I was amazed by some of the stories told in this book. I laughed at some of them, cried about others.
I learned a great deal about what motivates young people to join gangs, and about the deep...more
Ann
Having read Father Greg Boyle's book, Tattoos on the Heart, I got my hands on this book to read about the early days of his work among the street gangs of LA. Both books together have had a huge impact on me ... mainly to remind me over and over again never NEVER to give up on people. At the heart of the most hardened criminal gang member as well as the child who's grown up in the most loving and stable of homes there is that innate desire to know that we're loved "no matter what" ... to know th...more
Cheryl Klein
I'm roughly the same age as some of the Boyle Heights gang members whom Celeste Fremon profiles in her well written account of the early days of Homeboy Industries and the worst days of L.A.'s gang wars. While the homies in question were fearing for their lives, losing hope and getting in trouble, I was a few miles (and an entire world) away, buying into the media's gang hysteria as Phil Donohue shamed crunchy-haired cholas for their unapologetic attitudes. What becomes immediately obvious upon...more
Anna
Father Greg Boyle started his work in a working-class LA neighborhood during the worst of inter-youth violence in the 90's. Fremon shadows Boyle's relationships with the youth from the neighborhood who are very much in need of a friend. In the process, Fremon herself becomes involved with these soulful and engaging young people.

Many young men and and women have contacted Boyle and Fremon to let them know what this book meant to them, and that it is the only book they have read. The blessing tha...more
Tama Wise
Following the true story of a priest working in the more dangerous areas of East Los Angeles, this book paints the bleak life of those stuck in gang life. Partly the observations of the author as she followed along with Father Greg, and partly the stories of gang members themselves it's an uncompromising look at their lives, that paints them as human beings rather than monster kids out of control.

I found this book very heavy going towards the end. More often than not the gang members who tell th...more
Barbara
This is a must-read for everyone who has an interest in Los Angeles and the lives of the kids who end up in gangs. Written with incredible understanding and insight into the difficulties these young people encounter and what Father Greg Boyle has done with his life to help them, this is a book all Angelenos should read. It should be required reading in all middle or high schools.
Stone
What it's about: This book is about latin gangs in east los angeles. People in their community are tired of all the killing over turf wars , drug money or just Retaliation

What I think about it: I think its a very good book so far. it keeps me interested and it makes you want to read more
Tim
Amazing story... enough to make me want to move to California and help him. Parts of it get a little long, but the stories of the lives of the young men and women in East LA are incredible and Father Boyle's story is even more amazing.
Jango
Jun 14, 2007 Jango rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers interested in the human side of gang violence
Shelves: nonfiction
A great book for understanding gang violence in L.A. from the perspective of the kids and the priest that tries to help them.
Laurent
Fantastic book. A very different take on gangs than Gang Leader For A Day. Very touching.
Joe
Moving account of the legendary Father Greg Boyle and his ministry in Boyle Heights in '91-'93.
Melody
Jul 29, 2007 Melody rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
A great book with an inside look at the positive impact a person can have in a city ruled by gangs.
Kathy
FATHER GREG BOYLE AND HIS MINISTRY WITH THE LA GANGS IS VERY ENLIGHTING READING.
Sam
I liked Tatoos on the Heart so much I also read this and totally got into it.
Rachelkrokus
impossible to not feel inspired by father greg.
Joanne
There is no one like Father Boyle. No one.
Jewelbug19
Amazing man, who I met.
Sarah is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Ryandake
Ryandake marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Adrian Duarte
Adrian Duarte marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Anna Cabrera
Anna Cabrera marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Roger
Roger marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
An Award-winning journalist whose articles have been syndicated worldwide by Universal Press and The Los Angeles Times Syndicate. She is a regular contributor to the Los Angeles Times Magazine, plus numerous national magazines. She has followed Father Greg and his work with the gangs for four years. She lives in Los Angeles with her son.
More about Celeste Fremon...
Father Greg and the Homeboys