Start by marking “George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots” as Want to Read:
George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots

George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Fateful turns, choices and escapes from certain death dominate this captivating story of the most compelling figures of the Revolutionary War. When General George Washington appointed Benedict Arnold military commander of the Philadelphia region, military historian Palmer argues, he was not only making one of the worst personnel decisions of his career, but was also creati ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Regnery History (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington and Benedict Arnold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington and Benedict Arnold

David Eppenstein
I've read several books dealing with the lives of both of these men. While Mr.Palmer's book offers nothing particularly new about Washington (how could it considering how exhaustively his life has been examined?) it is the best treatment of Arnold I have read to date. This book chronicles Arnold's metamorphosis from selfless patriot hero to self-serving treacherous villain in vivid detail. Palmer also makes a convincing case for the complicity of Mrs. Arnold in the general's plot. I am hoping a ...more
Julie
Feb 25, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: personal growth, business mgmt, military history
Shelves: politics
Lauretta
May 16, 2009 Lauretta rated it really liked it
A very interesting, and easy to read contrast between Washington and Arnold. Although there were no footnotes, sources, or bibliography, it was filled with facts conveyed in such a way to make them highly interesting and easy to remember. The author had fun pointing out the irony that surrounded the events and people involved, making history engaging. I've read at least three biographies on Benedict Arnold, each filled with sources and footnotes, and didn't enjoy any of those near as much as thi ...more
Philip Cosand
This is a nice enough introduction to Arnold and Washington.

Most of what I know about Washington comes from passed-down cultural knowledge and Washington's Spies (look up book).

I had no idea that Arnold was such a daredevil. I didn't know that he was a brilliant and bold fighter. I certainly didn't know that he was a brilliant businessman and widely respected. Y'know, before that whole betrayal thing.

Palmer does a solid job of setting up the two main characters, telling you just enough about the
John Hanson
Aug 20, 2015 John Hanson rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the read. I am an American expat and have had much less American history in my schooling than the typical American does. I also live in Canadian the city Benedict Arnold moved to. I regularly visit the Second Cup coffee shop next door to where his home sat. I soaked in this book.

I am bothered by a couple of points. Mr. Palmer takes the typical American stance that Arnold is an evil, American traitor. His text reads rather neutral, until the late stages, and he actually devotes more pri
Bernard Goldbach
Jul 27, 2016 Bernard Goldbach rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Dave Palmer's treatment of both Arnold and Washington. Previously, the most I knew about Washington came from touring Mount Vernon and the most I heard about Arnold concerned his traitorous acts. Palmer shows Arnold's daredevil side along with his brilliant and bold fighting spirit. I appreciated reading about Benedict Arnold's astute business sense and how he enjoyed great respect i his community. I certainly didn't know that he was a brilliant businessman and widely respected. Y'know ...more
David Orphal
Jun 25, 2016 David Orphal rated it really liked it
First off, the bad news. The Audible version of this book is not very good. Lots of strange skips, hiccups, and short passages reread. Audible needs to reedit this product.

Now the good news. Great book. While there's not a lot of new information about either Washington or Arnold in the book, the approach of looking at the careers of these two men in parallel is interesting and refreshing.

The author also does a great job at the end of the book looking at how each of these men embodies the idea
Michelle Brooksby
This book was extremely interesting because of where I live. So much of the Revolutionary War was fought close by me and I'm familiar with their locations. I also learned much more than I'd ever known before about Benedict Arnold. Though what he did was wrong, after reading the book one can see how he might have felt justified in what he was doing.
Laura Stahl
Sep 27, 2012 Laura Stahl rated it it was amazing
A great read! I read this about 3 years ago. It is fascinating to read about the friendship between these two men. I didn't know anything about Arnold before reading this. I was unaware of why he became a traitor. And, to be honest, I can empathize with his anger. It's got to be difficult to be responsible for so many lives, yet the government can't or won't provide for their needs. Given the times, I can understand the government's very limited funds. Yet, I can see how Arnold became disenchant ...more
Daniel
May 18, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Embarrassed to say that I never knew exactly why Benedict Arnold turned traitor. This is a really interesting book that will deepen your appreciation for how great a person Washington was, and give you all the info on Benedict Arnold. A must read if you are an American!
Dan Hydar
Jul 13, 2016 Dan Hydar rated it really liked it
A good book to read while waiting for tye final season of AMC's "Turn" to come out. A very readable, well-paced book. It following the lives of George Washington and Benedict Arnold in parallel.
I didn't even finish this book and I don't even think I can rate it. I was disturbed not to find any source material listed. I also was disappointed when I found that it was more a history of of the Revolution with bits of Washington and Arnold's personal stories, instead of the reverse. Not a great book for someone who is serious about research.
Amitha
Jul 01, 2014 Amitha rated it it was amazing
Didn't realize how little I knew about George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Revolutionary War before I read this. Fascinating history.
Joe
Feb 04, 2014 Joe rated it it was amazing
This is a most appropriate read for anyone interested in learning about, not just these two patriots, the story of our country before and during our quest for independence. Dave Palmer lays out the events and places in a way that kept me craving to know and understand what comes next and why. The book climaxes with the details of Arnold's treason and how he lived after his deception became evident to all. The words describing the unparalleled leader, George Washington, are superb and left me wit ...more
Betty Ann Baer
Apr 09, 2012 Betty Ann Baer rated it liked it
This is an amazing book that I learned so much history from. I found out the war between England and the colonies began in 1776. It went for 4 years. Arnold fought diligently for the US but was picked on by other soldiers that were jealous of him or didn't like his style. The author made it feel like the US treated him poorly and he became so mad that he became a traitor right at the very end of the war.
Ken
Sep 12, 2009 Ken rated it it was amazing
A very well written book. The author is not necessarily giving historical facts here as much as he is using history to show how certain events can lead two different men to very different destinies. He really sums it up excellently at the end with a befitting quote about character. This is a remarkably well written book.
Brad
Nov 09, 2007 Brad rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. Unfortunately, I was expecting a little more out of it. There was nothing new in terms of historical significance that came as a result of this book. The author just recounts the same story that has been told for a long time. It is entertaining at least.
Emily
Jun 07, 2007 Emily rated it liked it
An excellent jumping off point -- well written, and gives a good overview of Washington & Arnold's lives. However, a bit fast with facts -- I should say: it doesn't document many of its claims, so I'm a bit skeptical of where the conclusions are coming from.
Thomaspaul79
Aug 20, 2008 Thomaspaul79 rated it really liked it
Shelves:
not a bad little book. has a lot of detail and does a good job of describing the circumstances that existed around washington and arnold. i feel a bit of bias in the read, but it is enjoyable to see the relationship between these two men of history
Sara
Jan 26, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fantastic. The parallels between these two great men are amazing. Many people think they know the story of Washington and Arnold because of what they may have learned in History class but this book takes it to another level.
Tyler Tatton
Jan 15, 2012 Tyler Tatton rated it it was amazing
Great book that gives you a in depth look into the character of these two men. I never knew the role that Benedict Arnold played in the American Revolution and that he was a patriot General before he betrayed America. I recommend this to everyone.
Ryan
Feb 19, 2013 Ryan rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable and illuminating read, Mr. Palmer separately tells the stories of both patriots as they each blaze their own path, until they artfully converge at the end, bringing the story to full focus.
Kellianne
Apr 02, 2009 Kellianne rated it really liked it
Simple reading of a complex subject. I liked the juxtaposition of these two men--both who wanted a country where they were free to choose--one who was selfless, the other who became selfish.
Amber Chaplin
Nov 03, 2008 Amber Chaplin rated it liked it
It's a dryish read but interesting. It' hard when I put it down and then don't pick it back up for a few days. I forget who is who of the lesser players.
Ajay
Aug 04, 2012 Ajay rated it really liked it
An interesting book that parallels two men with similar backgrounds, but different outcomes! To be honest, I did not know much about Arnold's history.
Christopher Lamb
Nov 29, 2011 Christopher Lamb rated it it was amazing
A history book that reads like a great novel. Although I've studied both men in school, this books gives a lot of insight into each of them.
Sep 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
What started out as 2 men on the same mission, turned very different. Great story putting them side by side.
Sandy VanderRoest
Jul 02, 2011 Sandy VanderRoest rated it it was amazing
Following a stirring trip to Williamsburg, VA.. I read this book. Many life parallels! Thought provoking!
Mike Keil
Mar 22, 2016 Mike Keil rated it liked it
A fairly good dual biographical sketch and the story of the relationship between these two men.
KR
Feb 25, 2011 KR rated it really liked it
I dont want to do this...
  • Nathanael Greene: A Biography of the American Revolution
  • Benedict Arnold: Patriot and Traitor
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution
  • Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • Setting the World Ablaze: Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and the American Revolution
  • The First American Army: The Untold Story of George Washington and the Men Behind America's First Fight for Freedom
  • Masters of Command: Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, and the Genius of Leadership
  • Twilight at Monticello: The Final Years of Thomas Jefferson
  • The Long Fuse: How England Lost the American Colonies 1760-1785
  • The Wrath of Cochise: The Bascom Affair and the Origins of the Apache Wars
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • Victory at Yorktown: The Campaign That Won the Revolution
  • Treacherous Beauty: Peggy Shippen, the Woman behind Benedict Arnold's Plot to Betray America
  • Valley Forge (Revolutionary War, #2)
  • Forgotten Patriots: The Untold Story of American Prisoners During the Revolutionary War
  • Broadsides: The Age of Fighting Sail, 1775-1815