Start by marking “George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots” as Want to Read:
George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots

George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Fateful turns, choices and escapes from certain death dominate this captivating story of the most compelling figures of the Revolutionary War. When General George Washington appointed Benedict Arnold military commander of the Philadelphia region, military historian Palmer argues, he was not only making one of the worst personnel decisions of his career, but was also creati ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Regnery History (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about George Washington and Benedict Arnold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about George Washington and Benedict Arnold

David Eppenstein
I've read several books dealing with the lives of both of these men. While Mr.Palmer's book offers nothing particularly new about Washington (how could it considering how exhaustively his life has been examined?) it is the best treatment of Arnold I have read to date. This book chronicles Arnold's metamorphosis from selfless patriot hero to self-serving treacherous villain in vivid detail. Palmer also makes a convincing case for the complicity of Mrs. Arnold in the general's plot. I am hoping a ...more
Feb 25, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: personal growth, business mgmt, military history
Shelves: politics
A very interesting, and easy to read contrast between Washington and Arnold. Although there were no footnotes, sources, or bibliography, it was filled with facts conveyed in such a way to make them highly interesting and easy to remember. The author had fun pointing out the irony that surrounded the events and people involved, making history engaging. I've read at least three biographies on Benedict Arnold, each filled with sources and footnotes, and didn't enjoy any of those near as much as thi ...more
John Hanson
I enjoyed the read. I am an American expat and have had much less American history in my schooling than the typical American does. I also live in Canadian the city Benedict Arnold moved to. I regularly visit the Second Cup coffee shop next door to where his home sat. I soaked in this book.

I am bothered by a couple of points. Mr. Palmer takes the typical American stance that Arnold is an evil, American traitor. His text reads rather neutral, until the late stages, and he actually devotes more pri
Laura Stahl
A great read! I read this about 3 years ago. It is fascinating to read about the friendship between these two men. I didn't know anything about Arnold before reading this. I was unaware of why he became a traitor. And, to be honest, I can empathize with his anger. It's got to be difficult to be responsible for so many lives, yet the government can't or won't provide for their needs. Given the times, I can understand the government's very limited funds. Yet, I can see how Arnold became disenchant ...more
Embarrassed to say that I never knew exactly why Benedict Arnold turned traitor. This is a really interesting book that will deepen your appreciation for how great a person Washington was, and give you all the info on Benedict Arnold. A must read if you are an American!
I didn't even finish this book and I don't even think I can rate it. I was disturbed not to find any source material listed. I also was disappointed when I found that it was more a history of of the Revolution with bits of Washington and Arnold's personal stories, instead of the reverse. Not a great book for someone who is serious about research.
Didn't realize how little I knew about George Washington, Benedict Arnold, and the Revolutionary War before I read this. Fascinating history.
This is a most appropriate read for anyone interested in learning about, not just these two patriots, the story of our country before and during our quest for independence. Dave Palmer lays out the events and places in a way that kept me craving to know and understand what comes next and why. The book climaxes with the details of Arnold's treason and how he lived after his deception became evident to all. The words describing the unparalleled leader, George Washington, are superb and left me wit ...more
Betty Ann Baer
This is an amazing book that I learned so much history from. I found out the war between England and the colonies began in 1776. It went for 4 years. Arnold fought diligently for the US but was picked on by other soldiers that were jealous of him or didn't like his style. The author made it feel like the US treated him poorly and he became so mad that he became a traitor right at the very end of the war.
A very well written book. The author is not necessarily giving historical facts here as much as he is using history to show how certain events can lead two different men to very different destinies. He really sums it up excellently at the end with a befitting quote about character. This is a remarkably well written book.
This was an interesting book. Unfortunately, I was expecting a little more out of it. There was nothing new in terms of historical significance that came as a result of this book. The author just recounts the same story that has been told for a long time. It is entertaining at least.
An excellent jumping off point -- well written, and gives a good overview of Washington & Arnold's lives. However, a bit fast with facts -- I should say: it doesn't document many of its claims, so I'm a bit skeptical of where the conclusions are coming from.
not a bad little book. has a lot of detail and does a good job of describing the circumstances that existed around washington and arnold. i feel a bit of bias in the read, but it is enjoyable to see the relationship between these two men of history
This book is absolutely fantastic. The parallels between these two great men are amazing. Many people think they know the story of Washington and Arnold because of what they may have learned in History class but this book takes it to another level.
Tyler Tatton
Great book that gives you a in depth look into the character of these two men. I never knew the role that Benedict Arnold played in the American Revolution and that he was a patriot General before he betrayed America. I recommend this to everyone.
An enjoyable and illuminating read, Mr. Palmer separately tells the stories of both patriots as they each blaze their own path, until they artfully converge at the end, bringing the story to full focus.
Simple reading of a complex subject. I liked the juxtaposition of these two men--both who wanted a country where they were free to choose--one who was selfless, the other who became selfish.
Amber Chaplin
It's a dryish read but interesting. It' hard when I put it down and then don't pick it back up for a few days. I forget who is who of the lesser players.
An interesting book that parallels two men with similar backgrounds, but different outcomes! To be honest, I did not know much about Arnold's history.
Christopher Lamb
A history book that reads like a great novel. Although I've studied both men in school, this books gives a lot of insight into each of them.
What started out as 2 men on the same mission, turned very different. Great story putting them side by side.
Sandy VanderRoest
Following a stirring trip to Williamsburg, VA.. I read this book. Many life parallels! Thought provoking!
I dont want to do this...
Mick marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Mark Roberts
Mark Roberts marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Kirk is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2015
Boni Peterson
Boni Peterson marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
  • Benedict Arnold: Patriot and Traitor
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • Setting the World Ablaze: Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and the American Revolution
  • Liberty! The American Revolution
  • Eisenhower: A Soldier's Life
  • Masters of Command: Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, and the Genius of Leadership
  • Twilight at Monticello: The Final Years of Thomas Jefferson
  • Valley Forge (Revolutionary War, #2)
  • Broadsides: The Age of Fighting Sail, 1775-1815
  • Treacherous Beauty: Peggy Shippen, the Woman behind Benedict Arnold's Plot to Betray America
  • Victory at Yorktown: The Campaign That Won the Revolution
  • Patriots: The Men Who Started The American Revolution
  • 1775: A Good Year for Revolution
  • Paul Revere's Ride
  • Forgotten Patriots: The Untold Story of American Prisoners During the Revolutionary War
  • Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams
  • If By Sea: The Forging of the American Navy--from the Revolution to the War of 1812
  • The Summer of 1787: The Men Who Invented the Constitution