Start by marking “The Nutquacker” as Want to Read:
The Nutquacker

The Nutquacker

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Clara the duck is so impatient to discover the farm animals' secret of Christmas that she puts herself in danger and almost misses the party.
Published September 1st 1999 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Nutquacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nutquacker

Edward Creter
MaryJane Auch's Nutquacker is Auch-some! A retelling of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite will have you doing the Sugar Duck Fairy sequence in no time! Clara the duck wants to know more about this new invention called Christmas, so she sets out to find the meaning of this holiday she knows nothing about. After a run-in with a tractor and being chased by a wily Drosselmeyer-esque fox she lands smack back into her home farm to find family and friends and the True meaning of the holiday. no Jesus, sad ...more
Patricia
Maria
All the animals on the farm are keeping a secret from Duck. She snoops and she listens and she learns the name of the secret, Christmas.

Why I picked it up: I thought that this was a farmyard Nutcracker ballet. Instead I found an original story about Christmas.

Why I finished it: I wanted to make sure that Duck made it safely home from her adventure.
Samantha
Jan 03, 2012 Samantha rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
Clara is spending her first year on the farm and all the animals seem to be hiding something from her. What is it? CHRISTMAS!!! Clara has never had Christmas before, so she doesn't know what it is. In order to find out, Clara leaves the farm and faces many dangers. Will she ever find Christmas? =)
Annie
I did not enjoy this book. I read aloud to my daughter, so while all the animal noises and stuttering was cute the first two pages... I soon started feeling like porky pig "th-th-th-that's all folks!" I also thought it would have been a re-telling of the nutcracker - which I LOVE! but it was not.
Kim
A duck goes looking for Christmas. My only problem with the book is wondering why Clara the duckling didn't fly to the mountain or to escape the fox.

themes: animals, bravery, ducks, Christmas, farms, friends
Michelle
The title and cover of this book are misleading. I thought it was going to be a story about The Nutcracker but it's a story about a goose searching for Christmas, and she's not blue!
Alexandria
Rachel
Rachel added it
Sep 29, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 25, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Dec 22, 2012
202355
Mary Jane Auch also writes as MJ Auch.

The thought of becoming a writer never occurred to MJ Auch as a child. Her only literary efforts in those days were the plays which she and her girlfriend, Noreen, wrote for their marionettes. They produced these extravaganzas in Noreen’s garage and organized the neighborhood boys into a sales force to sell tickets and refreshments.

Summer visits to both of MJ’
More about Mary Jane Auch...
Ashes of Roses The Princess and the Pizza The Plot Chickens Journey to Nowhere (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #1) Frozen Summer (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #2)