Start by marking “The Nutquacker” as Want to Read:
The Nutquacker

The Nutquacker

A duck is so impatient to discover the farm animals' secret of Christmas that she almost misses the celebration.
Published September 1st 1999 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Nutquacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nutquacker

Annie
Dec 03, 2012 Annie rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
I did not enjoy this book. I read aloud to my daughter, so while all the animal noises and stuttering was cute the first two pages... I soon started feeling like porky pig "th-th-th-that's all folks!" I also thought it would have been a re-telling of the nutcracker - which I LOVE! but it was not.
Edward Creter
MaryJane Auch's Nutquacker is Auch-some! A retelling of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite will have you doing the Sugar Duck Fairy sequence in no time! Clara the duck wants to know more about this new invention called Christmas, so she sets out to find the meaning of this holiday she knows nothing about. After a run-in with a tractor and being chased by a wily Drosselmeyer-esque fox she lands smack back into her home farm to find family and friends and the True meaning of the holiday. no Jesus, sad ...more
Patty
Jan 01, 2012 Patty rated it it was ok
The Brothers
I felt a bit deceived by the title of this book. I thought it was going to be a "duck-ish" retelling of the story of the Nutcracker, but it wasn't. It was about a duck named Clara who wanted to "find Christmas" but none of the other farm animals would help her, so she set off on her own and overcomes to some fears, and blah blah blah...

That's a little harsh, but still, it wasn't that good of a story.

The illustrations are kinda mediocre.
Maria
All the animals on the farm are keeping a secret from Duck. She snoops and she listens and she learns the name of the secret, Christmas.

Why I picked it up: I thought that this was a farmyard Nutcracker ballet. Instead I found an original story about Christmas.

Why I finished it: I wanted to make sure that Duck made it safely home from her adventure.
T Crockett
Dec 15, 2015 T Crockett rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Like so many other reviewers, I thought this would be a retelling of the Nutcracker, or at least a play on that. It wasn't.

My audience (4 yr old) asked me to "talk normal" when I read the animal's dialogue using the spellings provided (to sound like the animal). We made it about 1/2 way through before she asked if we could read something else.
Samantha
Jan 03, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria King
Clara is spending her first year on the farm and all the animals seem to be hiding something from her. What is it? CHRISTMAS!!! Clara has never had Christmas before, so she doesn't know what it is. In order to find out, Clara leaves the farm and faces many dangers. Will she ever find Christmas? =)
Olivia
Nov 21, 2015 Olivia rated it it was ok
This is a very loose adaptation of the nutcracker. Do not except any sugar plum fairies. This book would be better for kids who like talking animals, rather than children who are interesting in ballet. Some of the animals dialogue might be trying.
Kim
Nov 11, 2012 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A duck goes looking for Christmas. My only problem with the book is wondering why Clara the duckling didn't fly to the mountain or to escape the fox.

themes: animals, bravery, ducks, Christmas, farms, friends
Michelle
Apr 20, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
The title and cover of this book are misleading. I thought it was going to be a story about The Nutcracker but it's a story about a goose searching for Christmas, and she's not blue!
Alexandria
Jan 01, 2012 Alexandria rated it liked it
Caydence Clayton
I think this book is really good and that it is fanasty but it is really general fiction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jenn Swanson
Dec 28, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it liked it
A duck who is new to the farm learns about Christmas. The illustrations were beautiful and captured by daughter's attention. Overall was a good story.
George
George rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2011
Pauline
Pauline rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2008
Lexi
Lexi rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
May 08, 2017
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2012
Lorie
Lorie rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2008
Ashton
Ashton rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2010
Psalm
Psalm rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Cana
Cana rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2009
Diana Pettis
Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Keli Wright
Keli Wright rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2013
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Rodney Figueiredo
Rodney Figueiredo rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2017
Jacqui
Jacqui rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2013
202355
Mary Jane Auch also writes as MJ Auch.

The thought of becoming a writer never occurred to MJ Auch as a child. Her only literary efforts in those days were the plays which she and her girlfriend, Noreen, wrote for their marionettes. They produced these extravaganzas in Noreen’s garage and organized the neighborhood boys into a sales force to sell tickets and refreshments.

Summer visits to both of MJ’
More about Mary Jane Auch...