Start by marking “Chickerella” as Want to Read:

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  56 reviews
When Chickerella's new stepmother and stepsisters move in, life in the chicken coop takes a turn for the worse. Chickerella won't even be able to attend the Fowl Ball, that is, until her Fairy Goosemother appears. The unusually stylish Chickerella dazzles the prince in her eggsquisite gown, but at the stroke of midnight, she must race home before the spell is broken.
Published April 1st 2006 by Holiday House (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chickerella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickerella

This is an "egg-cellent" retelling of the Cinderella story.
(NS) Laura Jackson
Chickerella’s single father married a hen, who had two daughters, from another farm. The stepmother sent Chickerella’s father on a wild goose chase and he never returned. The stepmother then sent Chickerella to live in the springhouse and do all of the chores. While living in the springhouse, her eggs were becoming transparent and were made of glass. Then the stepsisters announced that the prince had invited them to a ball. Chickerella helped the stepsisters get ready for this ball, wishing she ...more
Genre: Fantasy

Review:From School Library Journal
Grade 1-3–"Chickerella had a wonderful chickhood until one night when a fox got into the coop and carried off her mother." Thus begins a new fractured fairy tale in which Chickerella lays glass eggs and everyone wants to go to the prince's Fowl Ball. Though Chickerella has no interest in getting married and only wants to see the fancy gowns, her stepmother will not allow her to go. To the rescue comes the Fairy Goosemother, who has a penchant for f
Bridget Cabbiness
“Chickerella” by Mary Jane and Herm Auch, is a picture book for primary readers ranging in ages from five to eight. “Chickerella” is a spoof fairy tale, where the classic Cinderella is now and chicken. I definitely judged a book by it’s cover, and when I picked this up thought it was going to be just another spin on Cinderella, but I actually really enjoyed it. This isn't’ close to the classic fairy tale we all know, right off the bat you can sense a humorist tone to the book. I’m not sure how t ...more
NS-Christine Johnson
This is an interesting take on the classic story of Cinderella! All of the main characters are chickens and roosters, and Chickerella's stepsisters are named Ovumelda and Cholestera! Chickerella is forced to do chores and make clothes for her two evil stepsisters. She doesn't even sleep in the coop anymore. When the prince announces he is having a ball to find a bride, the two stepsisters put Chickerella to work. When they finally leave for the ball, Chickerella gets a surprise from her Fairy Go ...more
I like the story, but I'm not wild about the pictures. Both Chickerella and the Prince go to the ball just to see the gowns. In the end, they both, along with the Fairy Goosemother, start a fashion line and work happily ever after.

The photos seriously can be a bit creepy as they're all of chicken doll forms covered in feathers. They remind me of old viewfinder pictures for some reason.

Okay for preschool storytime.
Emily Sirota
This book was very interesting. It was a very cute spinoff of the original Cinderella, the author used very funny replacements from the original Cinderella. This book has very cute photos that are realistic and colorful. These really catch the readers eye and keeps them interested in what they're reading. Over all I think this book is super cute and something different, and gets the reader insterested.
This is a charming and photographic tale of fowls gone wild. The traditional Cinderella take is retold with myriad feathers and scrap fabric samples. Words like 'eggciting" and " eggzample" are invented to add to the satirical feel. The photographs of hand-crafted chickens that illustrate this fun text are memorable for their unabashed tackiness. Chickerella lays precious, and translucent, glass eggs while the prince, who really wasn't looking for wife (that was his mother's idea--he loves fashi ...more
Cordelia Dinsmore
This book just worked for me in every way. My granddaughter loved the pictures with all the glittery fabric and the silly expressions. I loved the humor, although I realize very small children wouldn't get it. Nevertheless, it was a fun and unique rendition of the classic story with clever adaptations to fit the target age.
(NS) - Heather Hayman
In this new spinoff of Cinderella in a similar story involving chickens, Chickerella is forced to live with her step mother and step sisters after her mother is taken by a fox from the coop. The familiar storyline leads to their home taking a turn for the worst with Chickerella being forced to complete the chores and prepare the food. With so much to be done, Chickerella won't be able to attend the Fowl Ball until her Fairy Goosemother appears in time to save the day. Chickerella dazzles the pri ...more
This is a fun take on the Cinderella story that doesn't end with a wedding -- but instead a satisfying career!
Cute take on Cinderella, with the focus of speaking up for yourself and downplaying marriage.
Animal characters, more modern setting, glam. Cinderella. Lots of egg puns.

Provo Library
Egg-centric retelling of Cinderella, with a plucky cast of characters. Nice twist at the end!
Jessica Minnoia
This is a nice fractured fairy tale book based on "Cinderella." The characters are all changed to ducks, but it follows the same story line as Cinderella. On example of how the story is changed is instead of a glass slipper, the prince is seeking whoever laid the glass egg. The book uses creative language to help make the story unique to chickens. For example, uses eggtravagant. The illustrations are very colorful and would be considered silly for most children.
I would use this book as a read-
Wow, this is an interesting book. I was actually unsure of what rating I wanted to give it. There is some humor sprinkled throughout the book. Chickenrella's step-sisters are Ovumelda and Cholestera. However, the redundant use of "egg" became slightly irritating, and I'm pretty sure that the step-mom fed the dad to the wolves. Furthermore, the "illustrations" are wacky. They are almost too distracting.

I did, however, enjoy that Chickenrella and the prince didn't want to get married and that Chic
Three stars for a bit of girl (hen) power and punniness.
Karen Cheng
this was like my fAVORITE book in first grade lol
interesting twist on Cinderella
It was eggcelent!
Michelle zeringue
I liked this book, it was diffrent from a lot of other children's book's ive read, but the pictures kind of freaked me out. (yes im laughing)
4 stars :)
Stephanie Christy
This was a silly version of a classic Cinderella story. In this book Chickerella lives a happy life until her father marries a wicked women with two daughters, Ovumelda and Cholestera. The illustrations are very silly that the hens are dressed in fashionable special affect clothing. Even though the pictures are very silly, the message in the book is interesting. Instead of getting married and living happily ever after, they open up their own fashion line called Chickerella.
This book was quite a surprise at the end. My daughter loves Cinderella, so I grabbed this at the library because the photos looked hilarious and it appeared to be Cinderella themed. I don't want to put the ending into my review because I'd like people to be as pleasantly surprised as I was. Bravo to the author! This is a great twist to the classic story for girls to hear. I plan to buy a copy of our own when I return this to the library.
Sticking with the folk/fairy tale adaptation theme, this is a version of Cinderella. The note on the colophon regarding the art is worth reading as it explains how the chickens were made.

This one doesn't end like the typical Cinderella story. (view spoiler) Yup. This one fell flat with me.
 (NS) Maria

This story has great illustrations and it's a typical Cinderella story. It's about a chicken named, Chickerella. Chickerella's new stepmother and stepsisters move in the chicken coop. Chickerella is forced to cook and clean for her new family. Chickerella is upset because she cannot attend the Fowl ball. When her fairy goosemother appears things begin to change.

The illustrations in this book were scary. I don't think I would want to read this to my child. Too busy and bizarre. And some of the play on words and the adaptation of making this a chicken Cinderella would get completely lost on the young audience. I can appreciate, however, how much work it must have taken for them to create the book.
A very zany retelling of Cinderella. All of the characters are chickens and Chickerella and the prince are into fashion. Many chicken references throughout the book will be lost on kids not aware of farm life. Adults will need to read the book themselves before reading it to kids because of many made up words. All in all a very funyy story.
Emily Steffen
Any reader that loves Cinderella will love 'Chickerella', a slight spin-off. While it does follow the same story line as Cinderella, it goes off track at times. However, these small changes are what make the story unique and funny! The pictures of this book are also very interesting and eye-catching!
Mommy says: Auch has rewritten a number of fairy tales from a chicken's perspective. In Chickerella, as in her other books, Auch heavily loads the narrative with poultry puns. It went beyond annoying to downright distracting, to the point where I refuse to read any more of her books. Argh!
This is a nice fractured fairy tale. I enjoyed the twists and the altered character of the Cinderella-like Chickerella. She's certainly a more independent soul than the traditional character. I think kids would enjoy this. It'd be good for a fractured fairy tale discussion.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Cinderella
  • Adelita: A Mexican Cinderella Story
  • Sootface
  • Domitila: A Cinderella Tale from the Mexican Tradition
  • Cindy Ellen: A Wild Western Cinderella
  • The Korean Cinderella
  • Cinderella (As If You Didn't Already Know the Story)
  • Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella
  • Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella
  • Cinderella's Rat
  • Dinorella: A Prehistoric Fairytale
  • Cinder Edna
Mary Jane Auch also writes as MJ Auch.

The thought of becoming a writer never occurred to MJ Auch as a child. Her only literary efforts in those days were the plays which she and her girlfriend, Noreen, wrote for their marionettes. They produced these extravaganzas in Noreen’s garage and organized the neighborhood boys into a sales force to sell tickets and refreshments.

Summer visits to both of MJ’
More about Mary Jane Auch...
Ashes of Roses The Princess and the Pizza The Plot Chickens Journey to Nowhere (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #1) Frozen Summer (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #2)