Start by marking “Morlock Night” as Want to Read:
Morlock Night

Morlock Night

What happened when the time machine returned?

Morlock Night is a memorably different excursion in science fiction - a gripping classic adventure in past, present and future - with some startling surprising!
Published 1989 by Grafton (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Morlock Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morlock Night

☮Karen
I read this for a challenge. It was a challenge.

This is Steampunk, as I go with legs  kicking and arms flailing into a genre that two weeks ago I'd never even heard of.  Time machines; the infamous Merlin the Magician; an apocalyptic invasion;  long walks at night, not to mention a submarine ride, within the underground sewers of London.  What the heck.

Imagine what would happen if a gent from 1892 England invented a Time Machine, traveled millions of years into the future, and then died there.
Andrew
Aug 18, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So what do I make of this book - good question and one I am not sure how well I can answer - especially so since I do not really want yo give the story away. However one thing I will say is that there is an introduction by Tim Powers which actually explains some of the points I picked up and the similarities to one of his books I read some years ago.

So the book, well first of all I didn't feel t was a sequel as such to the Time Machine (did I feel disappointed since I had gone out my way to read
Marvin
Aug 27, 2011 Marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The idea of a sequel to H. G. Wells' Time Machine is irresistible. Morlocks stealing the time machine and invading England of the 1890s? Fascinating. If only someone other than K. W. Jeter wrote this. Someone who actually had respect for the classic science fiction story. Instead we get a jumble in which the original plot of the Time Machine is jettisoned for a mishmash concerning King Arthur, Merlin and the lost city of Atlantis. Even then this could have been salvageable if not for Jeter's poo ...more
Ian Tregillis
Mar 03, 2012 Ian Tregillis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in the roots of steampunk fiction
This book wasn't for me, unfortunately. I'm a little surprised, and more than a little disappointed, to have to say that.

As a reader I'm attracted to big, wild, crazy ideas. If the ideas are cool enough, I'm more than willing to look past the parts of a book that don't work quite as well. And this book -- one of the original steampunk novels, written by the man who originated the very term -- practically boils over with wonderful ideas. A direct sequel to H. G. Wells's The Time Machine? Sign me
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
How could I possibly resist The Time Machine sequel? If I were to label this in comparison to the present and popular steampunk books, it would hardly pass as one. I would not compare them though. This is steampunk. Hell, the author coined the term!
The story starts right after the dinner the narrator attended in The Time Machine. Edward Hocker leaves with Dr. Ambrose and gets dragged into a fight for saving mankind and Time itself.

There are more tropes in this story than it is necessary, but
David Merrill
May 12, 2013 David Merrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an odd sequel to H. G. Wells' book, The Time Machine. Jeter interweaves Wells' creation with Arthurian legend and Atlantean lore. On top of that, Morlock Night is one of the earliest examples of Steam Punk. The author of the afterword credits Jeter with not only the coining of the term but also the founding of the genre. He forgets James Blaylock's The Ape Box Affair predates this novel. It's hard to believe they along with Tim Powers started a sub-genre with their books that became so ...more
Tim Pendry
This is a jolly old romp, written in 1979, but it doesn’t deserve the praise heaped on it by Tim Powers in his introduction and implicitly in the intelligent backgrounder by Adam Roberts at the end.

Powers’ own ‘Anubis Gates’ (1983) is vastly superior as one of the originating texts of ‘steampunk’

‘Morlock Night’ quite simply does not stand up to scrutiny as the equivalent of, say, ‘Neuromancer’, the genuinely well written founding novel of Cyberpunk.

Roberts does, however, usefully point out th
Elizabeth K.
Oct 25, 2013 Elizabeth K. rated it liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: SDMB thread
Shelves: 2013-new-reads
I'm not sure how to rate this, because this book was hilariously hack. It was a quick, fun read in a high camp sense. I wonder if anyone has ever done a graphic novel version of this (the fact that I'm not even interested enough to look this up probably says something), because it seems like the kind of thing that would work even better with visuals, the Edwardian guy gaping at the Morlocks swarming all over London with an "OMFG!" look.

So yeah, it's a sequel to The Time Machine in which the Mor
Ben
May 26, 2013 Ben rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ummm...I guess it's a "fun" idea, but this book is crap. Poorly written. Underdeveloped/boring characters. Basic, uninteresting dialogue. VERY predictable. Some of the major plot points are completely unbelievable or unimaginative. I had really hoped for better.

Apparently, this is the first modern-era steampunk novel. The author is also credited with coining the term "steam-punk". This is the only reason I gave it a second star. It's a cool idea to write adventure/sci-fi stories in Victorian Eng
Sean O'Hara
What a mess this book is. It reads like a comic book written by two or three different people, none of whom ever spoke to each other about what the plot's supposed to be. I mean, okay, a sequel to The Time Machine's a cool idea, but then Jeter throws in King Arthur and Atlantis for no good reason. He disregards the whole point of the original novel to introduce intelligent Morlocks who capture the time machine and use it to invade the 19th Century. Why? Shits and giggles, I guess. We're never gi ...more
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Having read "The Time Machine" and Stephen Baxter's brilliant and amusing "The Time Ships", I just HAD to read this. What a shame. The story has much potential but unfortunately it's padded out with an element of fantasy, King Arthur and the search for Excalibur, that really does not belong and, in my opinion, ruins it.
It turns out that K.W. Jeter wrote the story as part of a project relating to the Arthurian legend, and NOT as a hommage to, and development of, H.G.Wells' story. To claim it as o
Beth
Sep 18, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
An interesting continuation of The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, though written by K. W. Jeter. I thought it was a very creative story, which was narrated by Michael Page, who is my new favorite narrator.
AJ
May 24, 2011 AJ rated it it was ok
Morlock Night follows Edwin Hocker, a guest of the Time Traveller from Orwell’s The Time Machine, as he walks the streets of 1892’s London fresh from the Time Traveller’s storytelling. He is met by a strange man identifying himself as Dr. Ambrose who asks Hocker to consider the implications of Morlocks and the Time Machine. After parting company, Hocker’s familiar London disappears in a cloud of explosives. In a flash the world has changed to a place overcome by the Morlocks described by the Ti ...more
Costa
Jul 20, 2012 Costa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Morlock Night - The Seminal Steampunk Novel.

One could be terribly critical and use the correct terms, deconstruct the plot and characterisations explain exactly why one didn’t find a novel worthy, in terms others (and even ones self) probably wouldn’t fully understand.

Or one could get right to it: I didn’t like this book - and I really, really wanted to like it - but it was silly.

The first couple of chapters are a fine introduction and really rocket along, with the story picking up directly wher
Marcus
Apr 05, 2011 Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morlock Night is a sequel to H.G. Well’s Time Machine. The Morlocks have gotten hold of the time machine and are rampaging through time, bent on conquering Victorian London and the world. They are opposed by none other than Merlin and King Arthur. There is also a touch of Atlantis in this cocktail. Yes, the blood of the Atlanteans flows in English veins.

The clicheés of the times (Morlock Night was first punlished in 1979) do not end there. The lines of good and evil are also very clearly drawn.
Catherine Siemann
By now the Jeter/Blaylock/Powers origins of steampunk are legendary; I really didn't like Blaylock's Homunculus, and while I found Powers' The Anubis Gates wonderfully imaginative, overall I didn't care for it nearly as much as I did the darker and more ambitious early steampunk The Difference Engine (Gibson & Sterling) or Powers' own play with the Romantics and the lamia legend in The Stress of Her Regard.

So I approached this one nervously; was I going to strike out completely with the Orig
Fred Hughes
This is one of the earliest Steampunk stories.

It starts at the end of a night with HG Wells who has told his friends about his adventure with his time machine. Unknown to Wells is that the Morlocks he visited in Earth’s distant future have taken his machine and are busy planning an attack on Earth.

Our protagonist Mr Edwin Hocker was at the story telling session and is on his way home after drinking way too much. He is accosted by a very pale man who questions him on what Well’s stories are real
Derek
My other experiences with 'steampunk' novels (primarily The Bookman, The Court of the Air, and Perdido Street Station) all had a certain exquisite density of ideas that added to the Victorian splendor of the writing. It wasn't enough for Stephen Hunt to (also) have an underground body of water beneath the city sewers and the ruins of an ancient civilization. He elaborates detail after detail on the concept, fitting the situation into his ornate worldbuilding. Then again, this also explains his 5 ...more
Chip
Nov 14, 2016 Chip rated it really liked it
A steampunk with lots of action, along with a style similar to Well's original Time Machine (strong primary narrative/character). The flaw with Victorian aged writing is the secondary characters are commonly weak - this is no exception. Expands the role of the Morlocks that we seen many times since this was originally written - 1979. If you are a fan of authors like Tim Powers and strong sequels, you'll like this one.
Chris King Elfland's 2nd Cousin
May 27, 2011 Chris King Elfland's 2nd Cousin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Steampunk Fans, Readers of Cherie Priest or Gail Carriger or Tim Powers or George Mann
NOTE: This review was originally published at The King of Elfland's 2nd Cousin on April 26, 2011. If you want more reviews like this one, please check it out!

The best science fiction is protean by nature, combining facets of just about every other genre and defying neat classification within the bounds of SFdom. K.W. Jeter’s Morlock Night straddles many sub-genre fences: Victoriana secret history, steampunk, and Arthurian legend. Originally published in 1979, the book is judged one of the prog
Christine Hinderer
Who (did you read this book for?):

This is the fourth book I have finished reading for my 2017 Reading Challenge. It met one goal:

(22) A steampunk novel

“Jeter also coined the term "steampunk" as a pun on cyberpunk,[3] in a letter to Locus magazine in April 1987, to describe the steam-technology, alternate-history works that he published along with his friends, Blaylock and Powers.”

What (version of the book did you read?):
A 2011 e-book edition from Angry Robot. EBook ISBN 978 0 85766 101 2
Forward
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit.

K.W. Jeter’s Morlock Night (1979) is often cited as the first novel to be categorized at “steampunk.” In a 1987 letter to Locus magazine, Jeter coined the term in an effort to describe the types of stories that he and his friends Tim Powers and James P. Blaylock were writing:

Personally, I think Victorian fantasies are going to be the next big thing, as long as we can come up with a fitting collective term for Powers, Blaylock an
Kat  Hooper
May 09, 2013 Kat Hooper rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Jerantino
In K.W. Jeter's novel Morlock Night, the Morlocks have stolen the Time Machine and used it to invade Victorian London. These Morlocks are much more formidable than those in The Time Machine - a clever, technological race with enough power to take over the entire world. They also get support from certain treacherous 19th century humans, especially a dark wizard named Merdenne. It is also revealed that the Morlocks living in their native time (the 8,028th century) have stopped allowing the Eloi to ...more
Matt
Jun 11, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Cross-posted to my sci-fi blog, Android Dreamer.)

With steampunk being the current "big thing" in science fiction and fantasy, I got an itch to go back and read some of the earliest instances of the genre. Call me a party pooper, but I think the steampunk of today has turned into nothing but an exercise in ridiculous fashion and totally gone away from actually telling a good story. Having previously really enjoyed K.W. Jeter's The Glass Hammer, I was intrigued by the idea of Morlock Night.

Morloc
Belle Wood
Dec 31, 2015 Belle Wood rated it it was ok
It's definitely book. It has pages, and the pages have words. Sometimes, they are in what might be considered the right order. That is all one can say.
No, that might be a bit harsh. The first thing I will say, only because it is the most objective, is that it is edited for shite. The editing is nothing short of shocking. Periods in the middle of sentences, capitals which should be aren't and which shouldn't be are. They are typographical errors of the most basic sort, and they happen at least on
Neale
‘Morlock Night’ is considered to be the first salvo of the steampunk movement, as it was later to be named (by Jeter himself) – the Victorian retro-futuristic works of Jeter and his allies James Blaylock and Tim Powers. The group never claimed to have invented the leading ideas of the movement – this had been done in the 1960s and 1970s by British writers such as Keith Roberts, Michael Moorcock, Harry Harrison and Christopher Priest – but they created the particular style that characterises most ...more
Charlene
Jun 28, 2013 Charlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
There are a few things that surprised me about this sequel to The Time Machine. The first is that we don't see anything of the Time Traveller. This story has little, if anything to do with the ideas of time traveling - as time travel is more of a device to deposit the ultimate evil in our midst. And not even the Morlocks are the main villains of the story. So this is a sequel that completely overlooks the main character of the original, the Time Machine, and the Morlocks. This story focuses more ...more
Steve Joyce
Oct 14, 2013 Steve Joyce rated it liked it
Morlock Night is touted as one of the 1st Steampunk novels. I've sampled a fair to middlin' bit of Steampunk and while - I'm still going to approach it all with an open mind - here're my reactions to it all thus far.

Something usually doesn't sit quite right with me in these types of stories and I think I know part of the reason. Let's 1st go to the Maths Chalkboard.

Let X% be the percentage of words, phrases and references actually used in typical discourse during Victorian times that have falle
Roland Volz
Feb 07, 2012 Roland Volz rated it really liked it
This sequel to The Time Machine takes place almost immediately after the original book left off. It takes the logical progression of events from the original set-up: the narrator of Wells' book has just completed telling his story to his party guests and is about to journey back to the future to rejoin the Eloi.

Jeter takes the next logical steps. Assuming the morlocks were as intelligent as implied in the original story, he presumes that they use the Time Machine to launch an invasion the past.
  • Homunculus (Narbondo, #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
  • The Warlord of the Air (Oswald Bastable, #1)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Flaming London
  • The Steampunk Trilogy
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • Boilerplate: History's Mechanical Marvel
  • Steampunk'd
  • The Prophecy Machine (Investments, #1)
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
Kevin Wayne Jeter (born 1950) is an American science fiction and horror author known for his literary writing style, dark themes, and paranoid, unsympathetic characters. He is also credited with the coining of the term "Steampunk." K. W. has written novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universe, and has written three (to date) sequels to Blade Runner.

Series:
* Doctor Adder

Series contributed to
More about K.W. Jeter...

“Over the vistas broke a cold gray light, such as seen in those false dawns that are neither night nor true morning, when the world and all its contents seem but shapes of mist, formed in vain hope and desire... If you awake from troubled sleep at such a time, you can only sit by the window and think of those that have been lost to you, those that followed your parents into those cold and heartless regions below the grass, silent and dark. Eventually, morning comes and the world resumes its solidity, but another tiny thread of ice has been stitched into your heart forever.” 5 likes
“I believe it " announced Tafe complacently.

"That my dear " said Ambrose "is because you grew up in a rough and violent world here just managing to live from day to day is easily considered a miracle. You are able to accept the truth no matter how astonishing its guise. Whereas our friend Hocker here is steeped in the overweening rationalism of his time and could mentally dismiss a mastodon in front of him if it happened to be wearing the wrong school tie.”
3 likes