Start by marking “Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #1)

Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  23,503 ratings  ·  1,179 reviews
From the celebrated imagination of Dean Koontz comes a powerful reworking of one of the classic stories of all time. If you think you know the legend, you know only half the truth. Here is the mystery, the myth, the terror, and the magic of . . .

Every city has its secrets. But none as terrible as this. He is Deucalion, a tattooed man of mysterious origin, a sleight-of-rea
Mass Market Paperback, 389 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Bantam (first published January 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Prodigal Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prodigal Son

Fight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Godfather by Mario PuzoThe Elephant Tree by R.D. Ronald
Best Manfiction
385th out of 1,123 books — 444 voters
Donde los árboles cantan by Laura Gallego GarcíaWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisTwilight by Stephenie MeyerJuntos by Ally Condie
INTERESTING COVERS!
127th out of 199 books — 125 voters

More lists with this book...

Dirk Grobbelaar
Out of the last of the twilight came Deucalion with a suitcase, in clothes too heavy for the sultry night.

Koontz does a pretty good job of extrapolating the Frankenstein mythos. He doesn’t do much to alter the original history, but instead focuses on a “what if” scenario. What if Mary Shelley’s novel was an account of actual events? What if Victor and his creation were still around today? How could that have come about? What would they be doing? Etcetera. This kind of thing has a multitude of po
Marvin
I occasionally get the urge to read a Koontz novel. Some of his earlier works like Watchers are quite exciting. I keep hoping his current novels will return to his earlier high standards. However his later books, Relentless being a prime example, simply do not work well and hints of a writer who may now be writing to a formula and for the money. I hope that's not true but it is my suspicion.

Dean's Koontz Frankenstein pastiche of which this is the first part does not reduce that fear. In fact, th
TK421
I have heard many times from fans of Dean Koontz that they were upset because Koontz used "no-name" writers to co-author his retelling of Mary Shelly's classic story, FRANKENSTEIN. Let me put some of this nay-saying to rest. Kevin Anderson is not a no-name author. He has written numerous novels for the Star Wars universe (the bounty hunter trilogy is a lot of fun), and he has also written for X-Files. I'd say that's two pretty solid foundations to stand upon.

As for the story itself, I really en
Mike (the Paladin)
Hummmmm...... Well, I'm one of those people, possibly one of the few people who wasn't enthralled by Mary Shelly's classic. So even though I like "much of" Dean Koontz's writing I put off reading this one for some time.

Bottom line on it is that it's pretty good.

The book is readable. Koontz can do good serviceable writing, sometimes his prose is almost inspired. Here it's largely the former. Building on the general idea from the Shelly book he expands the story. We're led to believe that Shelly s
Helen
Wow, this was a fun and a surprisingly interesting continuation of the Frankenstein story that ties directly into the original. Deucalion, the original monster, has been living in a Tibetan monastery where he has found a sense of peace. Of course, he eventually learns that his creator is still alive under the name of Doctor Helios and travels to New Orleans in preparation for the eventual confrontation and discovers that he is not alone and that Doctor Helios has been very, very busy.

Amanda
May 31, 2008 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Koontz fans/Frankenstein fans/horror lovers
Recommended to Amanda by: My mom
Shelves: horror, mystery, fantasy
Red Fields
INCREDIBLE! Once I started reading, I wondered how an author's mind could wrap around a story and tell it like Dean Koontz did with his first installment of his trilogy, "Frankenstein." Once finished, you HAD to know what happened next! Let me tell you the about the hold this book held over me.

My national chain bookstore stays open here in Richmond VA till 11pm, right? Its now 10:45 p.m., I'm calling to see if they have in stock Book 2, they do, I'm gone!!! I make it back home around 11:30pm, d
Salymar
This is the first Dean Koontz novel I read so I decided to do a little research about him; and here's what I read: According to his official website and book blog sites, Dean Koontz is one of the good authors who brought several of his books to appear on the New York Times Bestseller List. He is famous for his novels which can be perfectly described and categorized as suspense thrillers with elements of classic horror, science fiction and satire.

Frankenstein (Book One: Prodigal Son) is one of De
Michael
I was interested in reading this book because it featured two of my literary interests in it; Frankenstein and a serial killer. While this book was entertaining, I just couldn’t enjoy this book at all. I kept comparing it to the original Frankenstein book and keep wishing this book referenced it more or had the same level of complexity. This book was simply a mad scientist creating his own race for his own gratification. Then you have the work obsessed detective and their partner who is in love ...more
Stephen
3.0 to 3.5 stars. This was a really fun, fast paced read. I thought the main character of Deucalion was well done and gave you a character you could really cheer for in the story. The human characters were pretty two dimensional, except for Victor Frankenstein who was a good villian. This minor gripe aside, the story is worth a read.
Logan
Apr 08, 2010 Logan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: My enemies.
Recommended to Logan by: My enemies.
Shelves: books-i-hate
Having never read a Dean Koontz novel and intrigued by the C.S. Lewis quote at the beginning of this book (I'm a huge Lewis fan), I picked this up, thinking that maybe this would be a good first exposure to Koontz's writing.

It wasn't. If I had to describe it in one word, the word I'd pick would be "ridiculous." The word fits every character, scenario and action in the entire book.

We have Frankenstein's monster who, apparently, found God and joined a monastery. We have Dr. Frankenstein himself,
Angie
Apr 06, 2014 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror, monsters ,
Recommended to Angie by: no one
I first read this years ago when it was newly released and it was better than I remembered. The story is about Victor Frankenstein, who 200 years after he created his monster is still creating his new race in modern day new Orleans.

I liked how messed up his people are, so confused about why they are and most it seems, feeling like there is part of them missing. This ends up causing one of them to rebel and start murdering old race people( ordinary humans)

All the different ideas in this book seem
Jessica
When I picked up this book at my mom's house and read the back cover, I literally said out loud, "Oh no he DIH-uhnt!" Thank you, Dean Koontz, for making me channel Ricki Lake reruns.

Koontz has apparently run out of ideas for trite, one-dimension characters, and he's abandoned all pretense at being original. Instead of taking a break from publishing utter crap, he copes with this by cannibalizing fucking FRANKENSTEIN.
JBradford
I’ve gotten so that I think anything Dean Koontz writes has to be good, and this one has all the requirements: a doing good couple falling in love, combined with unimaginable horror--and in this case, the horror is compounded beyond belief. Suppose Frankenstein’s monster did not die out on the Alaskan ice floes, but had managed to survive, even unto today’s world? More, suppose Dr. Frankenstein, who was the real monster, had also found a way to survive--and to continue his ungodly experiments? W ...more
Ken Consaul
Jan 18, 2012 Ken Consaul rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hard core Koontz fans
Recommended to Ken by: daughter, a hard core Koontz fan
I'd actually meant three and a half stars but no option.
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a big Koontz fan. To me, his bad guys are boring and one dimensional. The Surgeon in Prodigal Son was just another in a long line of blah bad guys.
However, the other characters are fleshed out nicely with the exception of Helios/Frankenstein, another cookie cutter villain (I'm so smart, I can do as I want because I'm special). The segments from his point of view I just skimmed because I know what's com
Stacey
Thank you Cindy for recommending this to me!!

This was way different than I thought it was going to be. I guess I was expecting a straight horror story about modernized Frankenstein Monsters. However, instead it was a very scary murder mystery and I thought it was genius!

I couldn't put it down and practically read the whole book in one sitting. The plot is spellbinding and the characters are fully developed and interesting. I liked Deucalion, but I have to admit that I loved Carson and Michael. M
Joseph
Martin Maher
`The Prodigal Son`is Dean Koontz`s modern tale of the well known classic; Frankenstein. I wasn`t sure whether I would like this, as remakes often aren`t that good, but decided to give it a try as I like Dean Koontz`s writing.

`The Prodigal Son`is a modern tale of Frankenstein set in modern day New Orleans in the USA. I really liked this book because he totally re-invented the story of Frankenstien in a way that made it work for modern readers. I was glad that the giant-monster-bolts-in-the-throa
Mish
I really liked this story on Frankenstein yet I haven’t read the original so I can’t compare. I probably would have like a regular appearance from Deucalion (the first Frankenstein Monster) but he seems to be observing events from distance (or in the theatre). But he does come out more often towards the end and I’m hoping he will have a bigger part to play in next book.

I didn’t find the crime an ‘edge of you seat’ type drama but it was fascinating because it was a mixture of supernatural and se
Bark's Book Nonsense
This was a fast paced read for me and not many are these days. Koontz takes the two pivotal characters from Shelly's "Frankenstein" and brings them forward to modern times. Dr. Frankenstein is still up to his unethical tricks and has managed to prolong his own life through various methods while his first creation named "Deucalion". Deucalion has spent many years searching for purpose and has quietly been living among monks to find peace. He is brought out of his world of tranquility when he lear ...more
Everett
One of the better Koontz books, in recent years. Not quite as good as his Odd Thomas books, though. My problem with Koontz is, in the last 10 years or so, because he spends so much time telling us what's going on inside a character's head, little actually happens in the book.

Prodigal Son has a lot of that going on, but not insufferably so. A lot happens in this book and the writing is, in general, outstanding. I don't care for a lot of the silly dialogue between the two lead detectives, but it
Valerie the bookworm
This one reminds me of why I love Koontz. This read was quick and easy. It had lots going on and even left some threads hanging but I am ok with that since I will now be on to book 2!
Retelling of the Frankenstein mythos but modernized.
Excellent characters well developed. Lots of action! It is worth the read.
Tim Buck
I like this style of Koontz book best of all; it is not so much about dreams and fantasy, but more about real things like man-made monsters, disembodied animated hands, and tanks where people are made. Plus I loved the descriptions of the sultry Big Easy!
Josh
Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series builds upon the classic book by Mary Shelley, using both Frankenstein and his monster as near immortals who each have lived in plain view of the public yet are hidden by the fictitious account of their evolution in the original book. As to not discard the concept, rather enhance and modernize it, the characters transition into a new landscape. Koontz maintains a thread of continuity while writing a new and fantastical setting for the monster and his creator.

PRO
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
This good, but not as great as I had hoped. Hopefully the rest of the series either stays as good or even better.
Marc-Antoine
I think I'm really going to enjoy this series, the first is a true pleasure to read.
Cornerofmadness
Carol

Frankenstein is back and living in New Orleans under the name of Victor Helios. “It’s just a National Enquirer wet dream”, one skeptical homicide detective says, because people are being murdered all over the city with specific body parts missing.

Helios has constructed his own wife, Erica 4. The first three did not work out. Divorce was not necessary. At night Victor is back to his old bad habits working on an entire race of perfect beings in the basement. Home alone at night; Erica 4 notices s
Perry Reed
I'm writing one review for all four (so far) of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books.

In the Koontz take on the Frankestein story, the old Mary Shelley novel was based on true events. And old Dr. Victor Frankenstein (now called Victor Helios) and his monster (who now goes by the name Deucalion) have survived to the present day. Deucalion is no longer a monster in thought and deed, but has learned a lot about the universe and his place in it, some of that knowledge coming from Tibetian monks with whom
Max
It's never easy to give a review to the 1st book in a series of 5. Since there is still so much of the story to be told, it's hard to get a good grasp on the entire situation. It's a little easier with this book, however, since it's just an incredibly well written book.

What if Dr. Frankenstein hadn't actually died 200 years ago? What if he was still alive and constructing his private army? That's the basic premise of this story. Frankenstein has switched his operation to New Orleans, and he has
Did you catch it at the end? 11 198 Jan 25, 2015 06:21PM
Koontzland - Dean...: GIVEAWAY COMPETITION - Pridigal Son 2 12 Oct 31, 2014 03:32AM
Classic Readers : Prodigal Son -- October Classic Readers 2 5 Oct 12, 2014 10:47PM
Desperate BookJun...: Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Series (Spoilers) 24 21 Feb 04, 2014 02:30AM
Man made humans 3 34 Nov 10, 2013 04:06AM
Horror Aficionados : Koontz's Frankenstein 12 37 Oct 12, 2012 09:14PM
  • The Face of Fear
  • The Funhouse
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • The Door to December
  • Fear that Man / Toyman (Ace Double, 23140)
  • Children of the Storm
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Dragonfly
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • Black Creek Crossing

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein (5 books)
  • City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2)
  • Dead and Alive (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #3)
  • Lost Souls (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #4)
  • The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #5)
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“The concept of a weary severed hand, exhausted from relentless creeping, made no sense.” 5 likes
“When Mary Shelley took a local legend based on truth and crafted fiction from it, she'd made Victor a tragic figure and killed him off. He understood her dramatic purpose for giving him a death scene, but he loathed her for portraying him as tragic and a failure.
Her judgement of his work was arrogant. What else of consequence did she ever write? And of the two, who was dead - and who was not?”
2 likes