Start by marking “Rights Of Man And Common Sense” as Want to Read:
Rights Of Man And Common Sense

Rights Of Man And Common Sense

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The authorities in power in England during Thomas Paine’s lifetime saw him as an agent provocateur who used his seditious eloquence to support the emancipation of slaves and women, the demands of working people, and the rebels of the French and American Revolutions. History, on the other hand, has come to regard him as the figure who gave political cogency to the liberatin ...more
Published April 27th 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Rights Of Man And Common Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rights Of Man And Common Sense

James F
Sep 25, 2015 James F rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read Howard Fast's Citizen Tom Paine for a challenge a couple months back, I decided for the banned book challenge to read some of Paine's own writings, especially The Rights of Man which was not only banned but nearly got Paine hanged in England. As I said in my review of the novel, Paine is my favorite among the "founding fathers"; he was one of the few leading figures of the Revolution who was from a working class background, and unlike most of them remained a revolutionary throughout ...more
Dan
Jul 15, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Paine takes time out from championing a equal society to stick a middle finger up at Edmund Burke. Frequently.
ProgressiveBookClub
The Greatest Radical of a Radical Age

Paine turned Americans into radicals, and we’ve remained radicals at heart ever since.

By Harvey J. Kaye

You want to understand American experience? You want to make sense of why you despise injustice, inequality, and oppression? You want to know why you yearn to turn the world upside down? Read Thomas Paine’s revolutionary pamphlet, Common Sense.

In fewer than fifty pages, Paine not only inspired Americans to declare their independence and create a republic, he
Paul Parsons
Aug 22, 2012 Paul Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a time in which our freedoms are threatened from within by an overreaching Federal government, it is helpful to read the thoughts of those who lived during the times of our founding. Thomas Paines' political essays written in the late 1700s decried the English form of hereditary rule vs. the newer form of representative government recently established in America. The concerns, however, are the same today; that of overtaxation and intrusion into our personal lives of a governing body out of to ...more
Msmarlowe
Oct 15, 2015 Msmarlowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am just overwhelmed by his intellect. Much of his writings are above my pay level but then comes the most astute and glorious thoughts on a subject. He is brilliant.
John
The most progressive of the "founding fathers". Although he is a bit fond of strange extrapolations from mathematical data to prove social points (a weakness of the Enlightenment generally) the volume is an entertaining and educational read. The volume also includes Paine's short work, Agrarian Justice, with a plea for comprehensive social provisions for the old, the young, the disabled, and the unpropertied based on an interesting version of an estate tax.
Zoe
Nov 27, 2008 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, philosophy
I read the Rights of Man, and I was surprised how much Paine relied on biblical reasoning to justify emancipation of the 13 colonies. As far as the Rights of Man is concerned, I didn't finish the two pamphlets, and so I'll have to go back at some point. One interesting point from the first one of these, however, was the close connections that Paine showed between the American revolution and the French.
Gurushakti Noriega
I thought that what was pertinent in 1780s is pertinent now. The subjects Paine touched upon are still very real, but the faith he put on representational government and constitutions seemed a bit supernatural. Centuries later we are still grappling with unjust taxation and global conflicts.
Cyndie Dyer
I can't give this book a rating. I admit to some skimming and some boredom. But I am very glad I read it. Mr. Paine shares some of my opinions: trickle-down econmomics doesn't work, we need to take care of our poor, our seniors and our veterans, and religion has no place in government.
James Violand
Jul 02, 2014 James Violand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Shelves: own
The great propagandist of two revolutions, Paine told it like it is. An excellent rendition of the rights of the common man against oppression. Well worth and annual reading.
Annette Renaud
Jul 21, 2010 Annette Renaud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Paine's Common Sense opened my eyes to a better understanding of human kind and my own pentient to live free. A definite read for everyone.
Joe
Dec 07, 2010 Joe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Read excerpts in college and now idolize Thomas Paine
Carolyn
Sep 30, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classics. Should be taught in every school.
Shymaa
Sep 11, 2012 Shymaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't handle the irony.
Alex
Feb 17, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
The old arguments are still relevant.
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Mike Flaws
Mike Flaws marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Callum Davies
Callum Davies rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Tara Aveilhe
Tara Aveilhe rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Anthony James
Anthony James marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Amrita Chavan
Amrita Chavan marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Julia Bae
Julia Bae rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
  • On Practice and Contradiction
  • The Bookshop / The Gate of Angels / The Blue Flower
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Terrorism and Communism: A Reply to Karl Kautsky
  • Ancient Mysteries
  • History of Urban Form Before the Industrial Revolution
  • Rocks & Minerals (Eyewitness Books)
  • The Plague, The Fall, Exile and the Kingdom, and Selected Essays
  • Workers' Councils
  • The Bulldozer in the Countryside: Suburban Sprawl and the Rise of American Environmentalism
  • Self-Ownership, Freedom, and Equality
  • Revolutionary Ideas: An Intellectual History of the French Revolution from the Rights of Man to Robespierre
  • The Predictioneer's Game: Using the Logic of Brazen Self-Interest to See and Shape the Future
  • The Declaration of Independence
  • Fundamentals of Building Construction: Materials and Methods
  • The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
  • The Wizards Of Langley: Inside The Cia's Directorate Of Science And Technology
  • The Ancient City: Life in Classical Athens and Rome
Thomas Paine (February 9, 1737 – June 8, 1809) was an English-American political activist, author, political theorist and revolutionary. As the author of two highly influential pamphlets at the start of the American Revolution, he inspired the Patriots in 1776 to declare independence from Britain. His ideas reflected Enlightenment-era rhetoric of transnational human rights. He has been called "a c ...more
More about Thomas Paine...