Start by marking “Os Delírios De Consumo de Becky Bloom” as Want to Read:
Os Delírios De Consumo de Becky Bloom

Os Delírios De Consumo de Becky Bloom (Shopaholic #1)

3.6  ·  Rating Details ·  535,508 Ratings  ·  10,743 Reviews
Os Delírios de Consumo de Becky Bloom é o primeiro romance da inglesa Sophie Kinsella. É a história de uma jornalista financeira que durante o dia, ensina às pessoas como administrar seu dinheiro e no fim-de-semana, transforma-se em uma consumidora compulsiva, fugindo do gerente do seu banco e com muitas dívidas. Rebecca Bloom não resiste uma liquidação! Quanto mais inútil ...more
Brochura
Published 2001 by Record (first published March 3rd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Os Delírios De Consumo de Becky Bloom, please sign up.

Karen This book is about Becky Bloomwood, who works at a financial magazine but hates her job. She loves to shop to the point of being obsessive and the…moreThis book is about Becky Bloomwood, who works at a financial magazine but hates her job. She loves to shop to the point of being obsessive and the plot is essentially her dealing with that as well as an interesting romance.
Please disregard the previous answer by Skyril as the novel is aimed at adults so I did not think the novel was excessively profane. Also, I do not think the movie was better as it did not capture the humour and lovable characters in the novel.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cee i don't think we know for now, but if there's a pattern on when the each book in the series has been released, we could base it off that (probably we…morei don't think we know for now, but if there's a pattern on when the each book in the series has been released, we could base it off that (probably we should make an exception about the four year gap of when mini shopaholic and shopaholic to the stars released)(less)

Rachel
May 09, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one! it's terrible!
So I used to work with this girl called Sarah, who was a real no bullshit kind of person. I really liked her because she was intelligent and articulate, someone I could actually hold a conversation with. She was well read, she kept up on current events and she could talk politics while maintaining integrity and respectability. When I saw this book on the break table in the back, I never would have thought that it was hers. When I found out I made fun of her. I couldn't believe a girl like her wa ...more
Lola  Reviewer
This is one of the most poorly written books I’ve read this year.

BUT. It’s also one of the funniest and cleverest and most interestingly narrated.

It’s so very extremely hard to put it down. Rebecca Bloomwood is a funny and heart-warming heroine. Her fear of facing her ever-growing debts cracked me up every time she would receive a new letter regarding her credit.

Oh, that was so much fun. Really, I swear, this book gives a new definition to the word ‘‘fun.’’ Somehow, Sophie Kinsella manages to c
Christy Sherrill
Jul 26, 2013 Christy Sherrill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
I was in the library when I walked by this book, while I was looking for another book. I pulled it off the shelf and because I've found and read some pretty amazing book with this randomness, I thought ok. Another reason I have become a little obsessed with shopping on ebay. I thought this girl book would be fun, it would be like a new girl friend, getting to now good and bad about her, how she thinks about life........... So, I checked it out and I read it in about 6 hours. Reason it sucked:

Alicia
Jul 18, 2008 Alicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely NO ONE.
I really hate slamming books, really I do. This book is the typical chick-lit that I've grown to love, and to be fair, it's a quick read.

But, my praise stops there.

The main character of this book, Rebecca Bloomwood, is the most annoying, daft, and ridiculous character I have ever had the misfortune to read about. I understand that she's a "shopaholic", but I've had quite a few friends who fell into that catagory that were never in danger of being as simple-minded and arrogant as Rebecca.

Every ti
Zoë
Jan 08, 2015 Zoë rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pleasantly surprised me! I went into this book expecting it to be just like the movie (which, by the way I love), but it might as well have been a completely different story. The only things it has in common with the movie are the character names, the obsessive shopper and in debt main character, and the title. I adjusted my expectations and thought it would be one of those rare instances where the movie is better than the book, but I loved them equally but in different ways! The book ...more
Lilly
Sep 01, 2014 Lilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't take their books too seriously
Shelves: fluff, fiction
After college, I wanted nothing to do with serious books. And so began my quest for all books fluffy and light. The cover of this screamed fluff at me. This book is NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY. Take it for what it is - hilarious chick lit. Otherwise, you'll find yourself realizing that if you actually knew a character as shallow as Becky Bloomwood, you'd probably give her a look of disgust and hiss at her as she walked by or something. Also, don't think too much about her relationship with Luke. B ...more
Rachel Carter
May 27, 2016 Rachel Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-buy-paperback
Forgot to mention I binge read the first three books in this series a couple weekends ago. I don't really do chicklit, but this was amazing. BRIDGET JONES FEELS EVERYWHERE.

LOVED THIS. Thank you Inge for an amazing recommendation. This was feel good chocolate and wine and shoes and just what I needed. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Zia
May 12, 2014 Zia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I DON'T CARE WHAT OTHERS SAY

It's a perfect 4 from me

I loved it, no doubt.

description

Rebecca(Becky)was a fundamentally challenging character to understand and that's what I liked most about her.
Never underestimate the power of a shopaholic.
She was extremely intriguing and never failed to humor me. Goodness knows. The letters to the bank were the most hilarious. The absurd behavior of Rebecca Bloomwood is such a hooker.
I must admit that I thought it kinda stupid to continue the series cause it w
Shae
Mar 01, 2008 Shae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book! I saw so much of myself in the main characters spending personality that it just made me laugh all the way thru reading it. The book has that Bridget Jones feel but wer as Bridget is clueless in relationships Rebecca is clueless with credit and spending. Her crazy schemes to make extra money, like homemade potholders to sell but never following thru on is a page out of my life. I gave up credit cards as my solutions and it appears that she finds her own way to keep he ...more
Leftbanker
Apr 11, 2014 Leftbanker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People waiting to get their press-ons or post-lobotomy patients
Vile cultural poison masquerading as a poorly-written novel. I think that a heroin addiction is less damaging to young women, and it's certainly more interesting to read about.

If there is a male equivalent to women’s mindless pursuit of name-brand (read: expensive) fashion, it would be a dude with a mullet peeling out in a TransAm blaring a Bon Jovi anthem. This book made me physically ill. I felt like I was in more peril reading this book than anyone on a toxic waste clean-up crew. I’d wager t
Becky
I picked this book up on a whim at the thrift store. I had heard it was fun and hilarious and that I'd love it.

It wasn't, and I didn't.

In fact, I only made it 25% into the book before I decided that reading more just wasn't for me. For starters, the main character gives me a bad name. What a vapid, delusional, hypocritical mess. She's bad at her job, she's completely self-centered and selfish and annoying, completely focused on outward appearances and and seems to think that the universe owes
Inge
Aug 22, 2016 Inge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Main character gets a few lucky breaks so she can continue pulling the same immature shit as she did at the beginning of the book and learns absolute fuckall in the process.
Ozma
May 17, 2008 Ozma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shopaholics, Anyone who has ever been lured by a bargain, Chick Lit Fans
Recommended to Ozma by: Susan Parrish
As a Shopaholic myself, I found this book really enjoyable. If you like shopping at all, this book will make you laugh. The main character gets into funny situations constantly. It's not an advanced physics treatise, but it's not mindless either. The effort the main character goes to to justify her shopping is hilarious and some genius plotting on Kinsella's part. If you don't like shopping at all, look elsewhere. If you like funny, memorable characters and plots, then give this a try.

A friend
The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger
This book was super cute...Becky's "justifications" for all her purchases made me laugh! I also now feel a strangely intense desire to go shopping :P
Buggy
Opening line: "Ok. Don't panic. It's only a Visa bill. It's a piece of paper, a few numbers. I mean, just how scary can a few numbers be?"

It's been ages since I’ve read any chick-lit but when I found this book amidst a bunch of “free stuff” left at the mail boxes (ironic hey, its about overspending and I find it for free) Anyways I grabbed it, along with some other useless crap and immediately started chuckling.

Reminding me very much of Bridget Jones's Diary, this was an equally fun read, that
Joca
Aug 31, 2016 Joca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Foi muito engraçado mergulhar no final dos anos 90/principio dos anos 2000, onde a tecnologia não tão avançada deu asas às situações ultra hilariantes e ridículas a que Sophie Kinsella já nos habituou.

É certo que por 2 vezes (contei-as!) achei que o humor da autora passou do limite mas tentei não levar este livro muito a sério. A protagonista não é uma pessoa que gostaria de conhecer, muito pelo contrário (ela mete-se em cada uma... e arranja cada mentira que até me deixava sem palavras!) mas gr
Kay
Sep 24, 2015 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: golden shopping bags
If you know anyone that is impulsive, spendy, and irresponsible, do not let him/her read this book .

Seriously.

Because for any normal woman (or man) with above average impulsive shopping tendencies, this book will make him/her feel better about his/herself.

Take me, for example. When I am confronted by a cute pair of shoes or some colorful household item, I get kind of...well...impulsive, spendy, and irresponsible. Sometimes, my willpower can overrule that temptation, though passing through the
Kylie
I think it's hilarious that these books dominate the "chick-lit" scene when they are, in fact, the most sexist books I've managed to come across. And this one really takes the prize.

This is my third Kinsella book, and so far the women are always complete idiotic dip-shits that only barely manage to bumble through their careers while managing to make an ass of themselves at every turn. I find it's quite painful to read and not at all amusing. And if that's not unbearable enough, in this one Rebec
Natalie Monroe

It's cute, it's heartwarming, and it makes me laugh. What more can you ask for in chicklit?
Denise
Oct 17, 2007 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Funny. Light. Completely brainless. Perfect beach book. The main character is a completely out of control shopaholic, and will go to any lengths to conceal her addiction while still feeding it on the sly. It's a thoroughly enjoyable book, but it has a fatal flaw, the flaw that made me give it a "liked it" rating instead of a "really liked it" rating. This chick drives me NUTS! It is almost physically painful to see her destroying her life for a new scarf or perfect shoes. Priorities, woman! Pay ...more
Tara Murphy
Aug 10, 2007 Tara Murphy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I enjoy my light reads, particularly Marian Keyes, so I thought I'd get a kick out of the Shopaholic series-not so.
The protagonist is irritating and irrational to the point of annoyance.
I surmise though that this series and it's popularity has to do with how people view money. I like shopping, but have never spent outside my means to the point of debt. I personally think that's stupid.
I don't fully get the "have-to-have-it" mentality ESPECIALLY with pricey goods.
So I didn't relate to the c
Hippo dari Hongkong
Aug 25, 2008 Hippo dari Hongkong rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cewe yang doyan belanja ama... umm.. cowo (nekat) bermental "baja" :D
Recommended to Hippo dari Hongkong by: Syltje and Weni; dua pakar chiklit :-p
Elayne Boosler said:
When women are depressed, they eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking.

setuju deh, soalnya gw samasekali gak ngerti ama "hobi" kaum cewe tentang shopping ini. semua cewe pasti doyan shopping meski tidak semua memiliki kadar yang separah becky. ceritanya tentang seorang becky yang tak bisa mengontrol hobi belanjanya sehingga dikejar-kejar surat tagihan dari bank padahal dia kerjanya jadi jurnalis keuangan, hahaha. cuman gw sering
Vicki
Aug 08, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, humor
If you saw the movie before reading the book, you will not find many similarities in the movie and this book. the movie takes much of its content from the second Shopaholic book.

I liked this book, I found it fun and quite humorous. I have to say I enjoyed the movie more than this first book.

The character is a fun girl who has a real issue with her shopping habits. She is not very good with her money. This is a cute book.
Anna *no longer in use*
Say anything about Kinsella, she knows how to deliver simple mindless fun. These books are supposed to be Chick Lit after all, and they always leave me with a bunch of giggles and British slang.

description

Off to watch the movie now.

Megs ♥

I wanted a truly light read, and I decided to start this. I love Sophie Kinsella. I've read several of her other books, but I put this one off mostly because of the movie. Which was horrible. As far as cheesy chick-flicks go it was the worst. I couldn't even finish it, and it was because Rebecca was just a plain idiot. I know that was kind of the point. She has no self control and yada yada, but still. She was just too annoying.

Anyway, I have heard from several other movie haters that the book i
Carolyn  Storer
This is a wonderful, light, fluffy read. It was the first real 'chick lit' book I ever read and it got me hooked. The character is vivid and fun, and I can identify well (a bit too well!) with Becky Bloomwood and her retail therapy issues. I love the use of the present tense and first person narrative, I think it works brilliantly. I have now read all, except one, of Sophie Kinsella's books, which are all in the same vain, and they are fantastic reads within the 'chick lit' genre.
Zoha

description

Rebecca Bloomwood is a shopping fiend and addict. She shops and shops and keeps on shopping. She can't resist herself. Shopping is the only thing she excels at.

description

Ultimately, she finds herself in debit. BUT that doesn't stop her from shop.
In fact, if anything, shopping is her escape. So what if she is in debit ??
What harm is there in a little shopping ?? Absolutely, none !!

Beck
Cassi
Feb 21, 2011 Cassi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I felt like I needed to know if I like "chick lit" in the slightest. I thought "Good in Bed" was pretty stupid, but I liked the whole "Something borrowed, Something blue" series... so I was on the fence.

So I asked my friends for their favorite Kinsella book. This is my note to them:
WHO ARE YOU AND WHY DO YOU HATE ME??
and in slightly less anger:
Really girls? Did you just like this book at a time when you too were coming out of college and could slightly relate? B
Shreya
Mar 09, 2016 Shreya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I have seen mixed reviews about this book and honestly I adored it! It's the perfect light read and hearing Beckys justifications for her purchases made me laugh out loud...yes she can be irritating and sometimes you just wanna throw her across the room and scream STOP SHOPPING!! But her character development is through the roof and she does mature over time!!! 5 gold stars!!
Terry
Oct 02, 2008 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I laughed. I cried. I finished reading this month’s chick lit novel—Confessions of Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I have to admit that when I started it, I didn’t like it very much--I could not readily identify with the main character, Becky Bloomwood. She is a British, single, twenty-something woman who works as a financial journalist. However, she does not really seem to know much about her personal finances except how to spend, spend, and spend money. I cannot understand the obsessive nature
Rebooted as a TV Show? 5 55 Nov 21, 2015 08:47PM
2016 Reading Chal...: Confessions of a Shopaholic 3 37 Jul 04, 2015 06:00AM
How do you like the film version? 145 604 Mar 11, 2015 07:31PM
Reading Addicts: March BOTM-Confessions of a Shopaholic 1 18 Mar 04, 2015 10:14PM
The Official Chic...: Chick lit as my undergrad thesis 1 10 Feb 25, 2015 08:15AM
  • Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans
  • Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Queen of Babble, #3)
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Little Lady, Big Apple (The Little Lady Agency, #2)
  • Miranda's Big Mistake
  •  Angels (Walsh Family, #3)
  • 20 Times a Lady
  • I Heart Paris (I Heart, #3)
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain
  • The Wedding Girl
  • Glamour
  • Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover if Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie is Not the Answer
  • The Ex Files
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • A Girl's Best Friend
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Sophie Kinsella...

Shopaholic (8 books)
  • Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3)
  • Shopaholic and Sister (Shopaholic, #4)
  • Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5)
  • Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6)
  • Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic, #7)
  • Shopaholic to the Rescue (Shopaholic, #8)

“I love new clothes. If everyone could just wear new clothes everyday, I reckon depression wouldn’t exist anymore.” 1324 likes
“Life would be a lot easier if conversations were rewindable and erasable, like videos. Or if you could instruct people to disregard what you just said, like in a courtroom.” 796 likes