Start by marking “Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt” as Want to Read:
Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt

Max Spaniel: Dinosaur Hunt (Max Spaniel)

Bestselling illustrator David Catrow has written and illustrated an easy-to-read story about a hilarious hound dog!

Max Spaniel is a daffy hound dog who one day decides to go on a dinosaur dig. But what Max thinks are dinosaur parts is just a lot of junk--or is it? As Max puts his fossils together, readers will see how the random objects Max finds--including a football, a h
Published August 1st 2009 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Max Spaniel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max Spaniel

Feb 25, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Dinosaur Hunt is a cute story about a dog named Max (who doesn’t think he’s a dog!) searching for dinosaurs in his backyard. More importantly, it’s about the power of imagination, creativity, and ingenuity. My 6 year-old son who loves dinosaurs, liked seeing the dinosaur made of inanimate objects come to life. He asked me to read it to him twice.

The book is both written and illustrated by the author, whose illustrations are funny and vivid, capturing Max’s enthusiasm, determination and fun. In t
J-Lynn
May 09, 2009 J-Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a cute story that embraces the power of imagination. Max is an intrepid dog who declares on the first page that he is not a dog, but a great dinosaur hunter. The house and yard are his hunting grounds and, much to the cat's surprise, he does find a dinosaur.

This would be a fun book to teach prediction and imagination: have children try to figure out how Max is going to create the dinosaur before they see it.

The illustrations are fun! The are in bright colors with a lot of comic details.
Heather Jo
Categories/Genres: Early Reader

Estimate of Age Level of Interest: K-2

Estimate of Reading Level: 1.0, Lexile 70

Brief Description:

Max Spaniel goes on a dinosaur hunt. He finds all kinds of parts in his yard that he can use to build himself a dinosaur of his own—including a hose, a hockey stick and a football.

Two Characteristics of the Genre and How They Appear in the Book:
The most important characteristics of early readers are leveled text and appealing content. 1) Clues in the whimsical illustr
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
~ borrowed from the Library

MAX SPANIEL: DINOSAUR HUNT is a very funny and fun book at the Kindergarten reading level (end of Kindergarten).

What's amazing about DINOSAUR HUNT is that with just 160 words it manages to tell a great story. And you'll know that from the first page when Max declares: "My name is Max. I am not a dog."

Well, of course Max is a dog. But he's also a great hunter and in this case he's hunting dinosaurs! The story is about his search and his imagination, because Max sees d
Perfumegirl
Sep 14, 2016 Perfumegirl rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book for little dinosaur lovers, grandson likes it, but doesn't understand it or the pictures, think its better suited to one a little older than 3 years of age.
Cody
Tags:
Paperback, Scholastic, Modern Fantasy, Fantasy, Picture Book
Summary:
Dinosaur Hunt tells the story of a dog, who believes that he, is not actually a dog, but that he is a great hunter. Max, the dog, hunts dinosaurs. The illustrations in Dinosaur Hunt tell a story within themselves, they show the parts of the dinosaur that Max finds and how he manages to put them together to create a dinosaur.
Response:
“Part by party,
Step by step
The dinosaur comes alive.”

I chose this excerpt from Dinosaur
Kara Buchholz
Summary
Max is a dog that considers himself a hunter that hunts dinosaurs! Max finds items around the yard and wears them to look like a dinosaur! Max after finding the dinosaur parts will act like one and do things that dinosaurs would do. The pictures in the book compliment the text very nicely and even add to the story. They are in very cute detail and really did say a lot!
Response
I really enjoyed this book, I really really love dinosaurs and this book is a really cute way to write a story abo
Angie
Jan 05, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, 10-texas2x2
I'm a little behind on reading my TX 2X2s ... but now I see why this one was added. I've loved David Catrow's illustrations since That's Good! That's Bad! and now here's another one to add to the ones I've enjoyed since that title.

PS My favorite part (even more than the dinosaur at the end, which was just priceless) was when Max was packing for his trip. I know that feeling. Looking around surrounded by STUFF ... and knowing you don't really need all of it.

I will be suggesting this book more oft
Fjóla
Mar 24, 2015 Fjóla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: early reader, 4 - 6 year olds
A great early reader! Who wouldn't love David Catrow's goofy pictures and his quirky story about the spaniel. It's good for beginners, only a few words per page, but it holds a high interest level, and even I loved poring over the funny illustrations, so more advanced readers probably won't mind this one either. We're so happy there are more books in the series, we'll definitely be checking them all out.
Dolly
Jun 10, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2012
This is the first book in the Max Spaniel series by David Catrow, but the third one we've read. The funny little dog becomes an intrepid dinosaur hunter in his backyard and the results are quite humorous.

The illustrations are riotous, as we've come to expect from David Catrow and the narrative is simple and fun. We enjoyed reading this story together.
Jan
Jun 30, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
Don't let his looks fool you -- Max Spaniel is not a dog. He is a great hunter. And his imagination is as great as his playfulness. Remember when you played outdoors in the summer, and the garden hose was a snake, and the climbing bars were a bridge over hot lava? That's how Max hunts -- with inventiveness and joy. Take your time with this book and flip the pages back and forth, and let your child explain to you what Max found, and how he fits each piece into a "dinosaur skeleton." Great fun for ...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Max Spaniel isn't (just) a dog, he's a great hunter! He's on the hunt for a DINOSAUR!

I love the Max Spaniel books. The story is fun and builds upon itself. Dinosaurs are not easy to find, so Max finds parts of a dinosaur and builds one in the backyard. This small book could easily be used as a jumping point for further dino activities. The art is colorful and expressive (especially Max's face). It's a great book for all young ages or early readers.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 16, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
David Catrow is one of my favorite illustrators and his first book is just as humorous and engaging as his artwork! Max's hunt for a dinosaur had my four-year-old jumping up and down with excitement :)
Kelly
May 20, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: easy-reader, animals
This is a cute book based on one of Catrow's dogs. But Max is not a dog - he is a dinosaur hunter! He uses his imagination to find a whole dinosaur in his yard/neighborhood. Fun text and pictures for children.
Joenna
Jan 08, 2010 Joenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-reader, 1st-2nd
Max Spaniel the dog searches for dinosaurs in his back yard and finds all the parts of a dinosaur from various garden and backyard materials.

These illustrations are too cute. I hope this becomes a series.

Julee
Aug 09, 2012 Julee rated it really liked it
Suitable for a library read a-loud although it is a smaller book. Max is a great hunter on the hunt for a dinosaur. He uses his eyes and nose to find what he needs to hunt for a dinosaur. Lots of great spin off activities come from a book such as this.
Marcie
Jul 20, 2010 Marcie rated it really liked it
I think this will be fun for the Kindergarten and first grade readers. There is enough repetition and almost controlled vocabulary that begin decoders will like it. I did not like it as much as the second book, but think the kids will.
Ashley
Aug 14, 2012 Ashley rated it liked it
Cute book that would be great for children to read on thier own. The creative hunting aspect really drew me in. I feel like children could appereciate the multiple uses of every day items that were used to create the dinosaur. Great book!
Teresa Garrett
Aug 21, 2010 Teresa Garrett rated it really liked it
This is David Catrow's first book that he wrote as well as illustrated. The pictures are classic Catrow featuring Max Spaniel going on a dinosaur hunt collecting dinosaur bones that he joins together only to come alive in the end.
Meg McGregor
Apr 17, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Max is just the cutest hound dog! In this adventure, Max decides to be a dinosaur hunter but he can't find any dinosaurs. (Max, that's because they are extinct, LOL)

So, he decides to make a dinosaur, using all sorts of parts he finds laying around. Max never lets anything stop him!

Cheryl
This book made me smile as it reminded me of my own silly Springer, Lady and her unusual way of looking at life.

The illustrations are wonderful, brightly colored with subtle humor.

Definitely a keeper!
Amy Brown
I love this new reader series. Max Spaniel is going on a dinosaur hunt and finds all sorts of "dinosaur bones" (yard stuff like hoses, a glove, etc.) The illustrations are typical David Catrow and very funny. Kids will love this series!
Shelli
Jun 23, 2011 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
David Catrow's first book that he both authored and illustrated. Max is not a dog... well he is but in this book he is Max Spaniel Dinosaur Hunter! Max searches all over his yard for dinosaur bones in hope of making a dinosaur bone display.
Miranda
Mar 05, 2013 Miranda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grace-reads
Max Spaniel is a very cute pup! Even better than that, he has a powerful imagination. Is it powerful enough to bring his inner world to life? This book is a really great mix of attention-grabbing illustration, good sound quality, and a touch of magic.
The Reading Countess
Texas 2X2 Listed book

This adorable look at a creative pooch's quest for a dinosaur ends in a silly surprise. Youngest and I delighted in going back after reading it the first time to search for the clues as to how the dinosaur would be "created."
Victoria Dimmitt
Mar 22, 2012 Victoria Dimmitt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, fiction
This a short story for kids to read about a dog who goes on a scavenger hunt. This book has bright, colorful illistrations and is a quick read for younger children to read.
Kyra Harwell
Feb 06, 2012 Kyra Harwell rated it really liked it
A great story for Pre-K and Kindergarten. The dog uses his imagination while hunting for dinosaurs.
Kate Hastings
Jan 04, 2014 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pre-K-1,easy reader
Shelves: early-readers
RL 70. Great illustrations, funny story, simple text. Look for this one on Geisel Award radar this year.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Hooray For Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #6)
  • Chicken Said "Cluck!" (My First I Can Read)
  • Look to the North: A Wolf Pup Diary
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • Big, Bigger, Biggest!
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Doggone Dogs
  • Shampoodle
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Testing the Ice: A True Story About Jackie Robinson
David Catrow's favorite subject in school was math. Why? Well, Mr. Hirsch's class was where Catrow did some of his best drawings! Catrow's zany illustrations have illuminated over 30 books for kids, and his editorial cartoons are syndicated in more than 900 newspapers in the U.S. and Canada. Not bad for someone who started out as a pre-med major at Kent State and later worked as a paramedic for ...more
More about David Catrow...

Max Spaniel (3 books)