Start by marking “Beryl: A Pig's Tale” as Want to Read:
Beryl: A Pig's Tale

Beryl: A Pig's Tale

When Beryl decides to look for a family that will love her just the way she is, from her pig nose to her curly tail, she bravely sets off on a journey that will ultimately change her life forever.

Away from the cruel and ill-tempered pigs on the farm where she grew up, Beryl finds her preconceived notions of wild pigs-- and everything else--put to the test. And with the he
Published March 10th 2010 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published February 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beryl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beryl

Miss Ryoko
Jun 13, 2011 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
I checked this book out from the library because I thought it might be a book I could read to my students before rest time... but it's not quite appropriate for their age... or my school (I would read it to my own children at any age...but you know how school's are about certain subjects).

But beside that, I commend Jane Simmons for writing a WELL-WRITTEN children's book. The writing was rich with vocabulary and great descriptive words. As you will remember, one of my pet-peeves is dumbed down bo
Judy Desetti
May 11, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it it was ok
Recommended to Judy by: on the scholastic fair
I was expecting more of a fun tale. This one is the story of a pig who is a "pink pig" or a porker for market piglet. Her name is Beryl and she lives in a concrete pig sty. Her aunt takes a ID sticker from a piglet and sticks it on Beryl so she, and not a cousin, is sent to the truck for market. During the ride Beryl falls out of the truck and goes into the underbrush. She is on the run and finds a wild pig, Amber. It is at this point that the story diverts and goes from finding fun and adventur ...more
Julie
Jun 16, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Don't go into this thinking it's a cute kids book about pigs. It is sad, and a bit scary. It does have the element of preaching. We must all be kind to one another. No matter if we are wild pigs, pink pigs, or bears. We never know what the future brings. Those pigs or bears may save our lives. It is actually quite good and interesting, and the illustrations are adorable. A quick read. Well worth it.
Brittany
Jan 31, 2010 Brittany rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, arc-own
Beryl just wants to find a home where she is loved. After her mom died when she was born, Beryl was left with her aunt and two cousins. She was treated like Cinderella and was waiting for her prince to rescue her. When the aunt tricks the farmer into taking Beryl off to the slaughter house, Beryl knows she must escape, even if it means going into the wild. When she finds wild pigs she has to decide whether they can be trusted, or if they will be dangerous and try to attack her like she grew up k ...more
Amy
3 1/2 stars actually - my 9 year old says.
Read for Animal Lovers Book Club
She liked how it was written and liked = the story. She didn't like the very sad part (a death of a character.) She thought there needed to be more chapters to talk about what happened after the end of the book.

I was slightly uncomfortable with the handling of the theme of motherhood, but I don't think my daughter picked up on it consciously or at least it didn't distract her from the story. The motherless pigs, Beryl &
Jackie
Beryl is a pink pig, you know those pigs that live with a farmer, and she lives there with her Aunt Misery and mean cousins. They bully her and say very mean things to her. The day comes when the farmer loads up some of the pigs and puts them on a truck...but, to where? for what reason? Beryl is scared and knows she must escape. When she has her chance, all the other pigs on the truck are too frightened to follow her lead.

Escape she does and even though she's scared, she knows it was the right
Jen Mech
Mar 28, 2011 Jen Mech rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile-reads
Though the book had a cute concept, and I love Jane Simmons's Daisy books, her novel is far from great. Its hard to pinpoint exactly what I didn't like about it, but if I had taken this to a literature class in college, the whole class would have agreed that it is a tale about prejucide and how discusting humans are, and that it really has nothing to do with pigs. Maybe these points were not meant to come out so strongly, but either way, this book doesn't reach its audience. On one hand, it is a ...more
Sari
Nov 28, 2012 Sari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My son loves pigs and read this book two years ago at school, but recently asked me to buy it for him so he could read it again. He liked it so much he asked me to read it. I thought it was terrific. Beryl is a little pig who has every reason not to want to be strong and make changes in her life but she's not afraid to try, and she helps others around her make changes in their lives too.

The illustrations are wonderful, and there were many times I laughed out loud at the dry humor (especially of
Christiane
Mar 16, 2010 Christiane rated it it was ok
It's rare I think a book should be longer...but this is one that has epic written all over it: farm factory piglet Beryl escapes from a truck to discover life among wild pigs. Unfortunately, in only 216 pages, too much happens too quickly for us to really get to know or care about the characters. (I know E.B. White did it in 184 p. but much as I love Simmons’s Daisy books, this is not Charlotte's Web.) Parents can also expect to be asked what a "pork pig" is, and where was that truck taking them ...more
Katie Curry
Nov 06, 2011 Katie Curry rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-book, fantasy
This book tells the fictional story of a "Pork Pig" who is living under the "care" of her wicked aunt and cousins. Being the runt of the group, the farmer easily looks over her to send to slaughter and picks her cousin. As her aunt protects her piglet, she ultimately sends Beryl to slaughter. Luckily for Beryl, the truck hits a bump and she is thrown from it and makes her escape.
This book is a quick easy read that I could use in my classroom to talk about not having a mom, prejudice, abandonment
Francoise
Sep 11, 2012 Francoise rated it it was amazing
I read this book aloud to my husband, who has problems reading, and we both loved it. Faintly reminiscent of Charlotte's Web, only because the main character is a pig. In this story there are many pigs, some pink, some not, but also a bear, who is very nice, and some wolves, whom we don't have to meet. They all speak and we grow to know and care for them through their conversations and experiences as they search for a new home in the Other Settlement. Good story for all ages!
Katherine
Apr 25, 2010 Katherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
Not what I was expecting, but is a good story. We meet Beryl trapped in a pig farm, wanting to escape the misery of being confined in a concrete sty with her extended family that hates her. She is tagged to be taken (to slaughter) by her aunt who transfers the tag from her son to Beryl, and escapes from the truck only to run into the woods and meet a Wild Pig her age. This pig is willing to take in a pinkie, but her family isn't as much.

Sonya
Jun 11, 2015 Sonya rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The struggles of a pig, escaping captivity to live in wild, are presented in a touching way.

My boys could relate as we have raised pigs and they know the process of taking care of the herd.

The need for omniscient assistance outside the pig herd comes from accepting a bear, who can help, who knows, who leads.

A story about prejudice, fighting unnecessary rules, allowing differences, and acceptance.
Miss Amanda
Jan 29, 2016 Miss Amanda rated it it was ok
gr 2-5 215 pgs

When orphaned piglet Berryl is taken away from the farm, she isn't sure she'll like where she's headed. Instead, she escapes from the truck and heads for a the wild, a place that she's only heard about.

I found the storyline a little dark. I would've liked the story to spend a little more time in the two settlements instead of focusing just on the journey in between. I thought the message of not being afraid of differences and being welcoming to everyone is a good one.
Lisa
Feb 03, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
My daughter wants to give this book 10 stars, but I am only giving it 4, because it made us ugly cry near the end (think of the beginning of most Disney movies). Also, because some of the plot threads came together a little too neatly for my taste. Not to mention, this rating system only goes up to 5 anyway. :)
Amy
Mar 11, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, tween-novel
Excellent read. I am going to recommend it to my son's 4th grade teacher as a good read-aloud for this age group. Kids who liked Shiloh and Winn Dixie will love this tale about a brave pig who escapes from a farm to go live with the "wild" pigs. Lots of adventure, some very sad parts and a happy ending!
Dominique Hutches
reminds me of King-Smith's books, about Beryl who escapes from a truck taking her to be 'processed' with other pigs. She ends up in the wilderness, facing wild pigs (whom, she has been told, will rip her to shreds!). She befriends the littlest one, but then faces expulsion from the wild pig community. Where will she go? How will she make do?
Kellie
I enjoyed this read. It was a sweet story with both happy and sad moments. I loved how Beryl had the instinct and will to search for freedom, and that she finally found a family. I loved the descriptive words the author chose and I especially loved SAM! He was my favorite. :)
Tammy Patrice
Jun 01, 2016 Tammy Patrice rated it liked it
Cute. One of my students recommended this book to me. Not sure what the author's purpose was. My student loved it so much, telling me it was one of the best he's ever read. Possibly a case of expectations that were too high on my side.
pati
A bit dark for a juvenile novel. I really liked this book however because the situations were realistic. Beryl learns to trust her instincts and not the rhetoric she has learned from the uneducated pigs from her past life.
Gin
Jul 29, 2010 Gin rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A decent animal fantasy with an element of adventure/mystery. I think this would appeal to fans of Charlotte's Web/Stuart Little and the King-Smith books, boys and girls 3rd through 4th grade (maybe 5th). We enjoyed it as a family read-aloud.
Rachel Strang
May 11, 2011 Rachel Strang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE Beryl. It's a page turner!!
Class
Jun 23, 2014 Class rated it it was amazing
Lauren thinks...
I liked this book because it was exciting and had a good ending. A person who would like this book would be someone who likes pigs and adventure.
Margaret
Nov 17, 2012 Margaret rated it liked it
There were some cute moments- but overall it was too predictable.
Cadie
Feb 12, 2014 Cadie rated it really liked it
My kids really liked it. Sad at parts but they liked it!
Dawn
May 24, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Cute story!
Cara
Jul 10, 2011 Cara rated it really liked it
Precious. Catherine called it the best book she has EVER read, and this girl is a voracious reader.
Jessica
This was a cute story about a brave little pig who escapes certain death only to have to fend for herself in the wild. It's a nice story of friendship, but it was kind of boring.
Caren
Cute little story. Underlining lessons on prejudice.
  Syd シド ♫Just one of the wolves ♫
Cute little story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • I, Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #1)
  • Audrey (cow)
  • Firefly Hollow
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • Outlaw Pete
  • The Jellybeans and the Big Art Adventure
  • A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)
  • Born to Fly
  • Franny Parker
  • Diary of a Mad Brownie
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • How to Scratch a Wombat: Where to Find It . . . What to Feed It . . . Why It Sleeps All Day
  • Sir Fartsalot Hunts the Booger
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • Library Lily
Jane has tried her hand at landscape gardening, futon making, teaching basket weaving and soft toy making but only truly loves writing and illustrating children's books. Jane shot to fame with the success of her DAISY picture books, all about an irresistible little duck with big feet. More success followed with EBB AND FLO, whose characters were brought to life on television. Jane, her partner, an ...more
More about Jane Simmons...