The Way We Live With the Things We Love

The Way We Live With the Things We Love

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This latest addition to the The Way We Live… series, The Way We Live with the Things We Love, looks at hundreds of creative and stylish interiors decorated with personalized objects and artifacts. Divided into eight sections, the book showcases Gilles de Chabaneix’s incredible eye for detail and knack for photographing telling personal objects displayed in a multitude of p...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Rizzoli (first published March 23rd 2009)

Christina
A beautiful book. The author divides the collection of pictures into eight sections: Flea Market, Tribal, Art House, Antiques, Religious, Rustic, and Kitchenalia. I especially liked the images in the Antiques and Rustic chapters.

The only reason I gave this book four rather than five stars is because the comments accompanying the pictures are largely...pointless. They are usually a sentence or two saying super profound things like the figure "is lit dramatically by the slanting light of the sun"....more
Jenny
You really need a cup of tea and an afternoon to study the photographs in this book - they are so many details in every one and this book is crammed with so many homes! It's just that the homes featured here feel more like antique mall booths more than private, liveable homes for my personal taste. I'm enthusiastic about decorating with collections and having them out to enjoy (instead of crammed into a closet to forget about) but I also feel strongly against clutter! If you are like me, you mig...more
Penny
The photography is great in this book, and I enjoyed it for that aspect. Yet it felt a little too much like a book that tries to show you how to place objects in your house.
Michele
I liked parts of this book a lot, but others not so much, the Tribal section, for example. That didn't really seem to relate to the rest of the contents.
Manintheboat
This book looks like, "Still life with vase" "Still life with books" "Still life with bowls in the kitchen" and I loved it in the way that I love estate sales; snooping about amongst other people's things. I want all these things and kitchens and am rather envious of their flea market that sells objects other than lawnmower parts.*

You can totally tell the author's previous day job was with the Conran Design Group. Totally.

*see my latest arrangement, "Still life with lawnmower parts."
I appreciated the international interior spaces represented in this book. It truly runs the gamut of interior designs based on collections--however, there is a fine line between arty and cluttered, or even worse, Blair Witch-esque. There is a limit to how many retro kitchen items you can display, and how many stuffed birds, pinned butterflies, and bone collections...so proceed with caution if this is your thing.
Kelley
This was a great one - sadly, I'm not a collector of any one kind of thing (just all funky things in general!) but there were certainly inspiring pictures and inspiring notes as a result!
Relyn
Jul 21, 2013 Relyn rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Not my style. Not much eye candy for me here.

I love shelter books, but after reading them for 20 years, I am getting harder to please. This one didn't do it for me.
Kelly Mac
Inspiring interior design book. Will return to it often.
Tiffany Rendek
Tiffany Rendek marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Mimi Louise
Mimi Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Andrina Sheahan
Andrina Sheahan marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Doi
Doi marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Lauri Schroeder
Lauri Schroeder marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Saurav
Saurav marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Linda
Linda is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2013
Noha
Noha marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Cherry Mận
Cherry Mận marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Kajoda
Kajoda marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Ipsita Roy
Ipsita Roy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Kawalpreet
Kawalpreet marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Way We Live In the City Home: 50 Tastemakers Describe What it is, Where it is, What it Means 1000 Home Ideas The Way We Live: An Ultimate Treasury for Global Design Inspiration 1,000 Garden Ideas: The Best of Everything in a Visual Sourcebook