Start by marking “The Way We Live With the Things We Love” as Want to Read:
The Way We Live With the Things We Love

The Way We Live With the Things We Love

This latest addition to the The Way We Live… series, The Way We Live with the Things We Love, looks at hundreds of creative and stylish interiors decorated with personalized objects and artifacts. Divided into eight sections, the book showcases Gilles de Chabaneix’s incredible eye for detail and knack for photographing telling personal objects displayed in a multitude of p ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Rizzoli (first published March 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Way We Live With the Things We Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way We Live With the Things We Love

Christina
Feb 24, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
A beautiful book. The author divides the collection of pictures into eight sections: Flea Market, Tribal, Art House, Antiques, Religious, Rustic, and Kitchenalia. I especially liked the images in the Antiques and Rustic chapters.

The only reason I gave this book four rather than five stars is because the comments accompanying the pictures are largely...pointless. They are usually a sentence or two saying super profound things like the figure "is lit dramatically by the slanting light of the sun".
Jenny
Jun 07, 2010 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: interior-design
You really need a cup of tea and an afternoon to study the photographs in this book - they are so many details in every one and this book is crammed with so many homes! It's just that the homes featured here feel more like antique mall booths more than private, liveable homes for my personal taste. I'm enthusiastic about decorating with collections and having them out to enjoy (instead of crammed into a closet to forget about) but I also feel strongly against clutter! If you are like me, you mig ...more
Jun 08, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I appreciated the international interior spaces represented in this book. It truly runs the gamut of interior designs based on collections--however, there is a fine line between arty and cluttered, or even worse, Blair Witch-esque. There is a limit to how many retro kitchen items you can display, and how many stuffed birds, pinned butterflies, and bone collections...so proceed with caution if this is your thing.
Manintheboat
May 07, 2012 Manintheboat rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This book looks like, "Still life with vase" "Still life with books" "Still life with bowls in the kitchen" and I loved it in the way that I love estate sales; snooping about amongst other people's things. I want all these things and kitchens and am rather envious of their flea market that sells objects other than lawnmower parts.*

You can totally tell the author's previous day job was with the Conran Design Group. Totally.

*see my latest arrangement, "Still life with lawnmower parts."
Penny
The photography is great in this book, and I enjoyed it for that aspect. Yet it felt a little too much like a book that tries to show you how to place objects in your house.
Michele
Apr 19, 2014 Michele rated it liked it
I liked parts of this book a lot, but others not so much, the Tribal section, for example. That didn't really seem to relate to the rest of the contents.
Kelley
May 26, 2009 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, design, house
This was a great one - sadly, I'm not a collector of any one kind of thing (just all funky things in general!) but there were certainly inspiring pictures and inspiring notes as a result!
Relyn
Mar 04, 2013 Relyn rated it did not like it
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library's website
Shelves: shelter-books
Not my style. Not much eye candy for me here.

I love shelter books, but after reading them for 20 years, I am getting harder to please. This one didn't do it for me.
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Cody
Cody rated it liked it
May 07, 2012
Shawna
Shawna rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Lara
Lara rated it really liked it
May 05, 2013
Elias
Elias rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Hannah Jane
Hannah Jane rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2010
Jillian Little
Jillian Little rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
C.C.
C.C. rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Josie
Josie rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Kate Mccallum
Kate Mccallum rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Gia
Gia rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Kari Stemm-wolf
Kari Stemm-wolf rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2013
heather
heather rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2017
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Melissa Segall
Melissa Segall rated it really liked it
May 15, 2011
Lark Brennan
Lark Brennan rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Julia F.
Julia F. rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2009
Jonathan Swift
Jonathan Swift rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Sarah Goebel
Sarah Goebel rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2010