Start by marking “Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #15)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #15)

Hidden Prey (Lucas Davenport #15)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,271 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
With Naked Prey, John Sandford proved again that his writing is as fresh and compulsively readable as ever. "This is vintage Sandford, which is to say all but impossible to put down," said The Washington Post. "Sprawling, suspenseful, tough-minded [and] sheer fun."

Audio, Abridged, 1 page
Published May 11th 2004 by Penguin Audio (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Prey

Kemper
As a top agent for Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Lucas Davenport has mastered the art of introducing himself to local law enforcement so that they won’t resent him as an outsider coming in to tell them how to do their job:

The cop who’d followed Lucas in said, “Hey, when I’m talking to you…”

Lucas pointed his finger at him and snarled, “Shut the fuck up. Who’s running this clown factory?”

One of the men in plainclothes snapped, “I am. Who the fuck are you?”

“Who the fuck are you?”

“Joh
James Thane
Having followed his long-time boss, Rose Marie Roux, out of Minneapolis and into the Minnesota State Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Lucas Davenport has become a roving troubleshooter who takes on difficult criminal cases statewide. Basically, he "fixes shit" for the governor and attempts to prevent high profile cases from having any adverse political fallout.

When a Russian sailor is shot and killed on the shores of Lake Superior near Duluth, it initially appears to be a relatively insignifican
K.D. Absolutely
Oct 19, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Kit Salalima
Shelves: guy-lit, spy, crime, thriller
My first of John Sanford's "Prey" series. I have been seeing these books of Sanford with "prey" on the title and my friend told me to try one. I said, why not? I always love reading books with preys and predators in them.

This is different from the many thriller series that I've read. Of course, there is the hero investigator, Lucas Davenport who should be in all the 22 (so far) books. This one is the 15th. My friend told me that this was her favorite, so I grabbed this and bought this to the cas
Jenny Hilborne
Jul 05, 2013 Jenny Hilborne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hidden Prey starts out with the murder of a Russian on the Duluth docks.

Detective Lucas Davenport of the Minnesota BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) is assigned the case. The Russian government sends their own investigator, Nadya Kalin, to work alongside Davenport. The plot concerns a group of Communist spies now living in Minnesota, and from the beginning, Davenport is suspicious of Kalin.

The reader knows upfront who killed the Russian. What we don't know is why? We find out as Davenport
Jane Stewart
If you love this series then this book might be ok, but I was not taken. It dragged.

Maybe it was just a hard-to-work-with-plot and uninteresting characters. Everyone keeps secrets from Lucas - good guys and bad guys. Even Nadia his partner does not tell him things. It was a slow process of puzzle solving. The ending was lackluster. It was not wrapped up well, but I didn’t care much. I was glad it was over.

Main plot:
A group of Russian families has been in the U.S. for decades. They consider them
Garrett
Sep 14, 2008 Garrett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is rather uninteresting. It took almost 300 pages to pick up and then the ending was very poor. A character that was introduced in the beginning and played a rather vital role in the beginning ended up being an unseen and unheard from entity. She should have been featured a little more prominently in the book. Why introduce her with so much background information and not use her more? The main characters had less background info than she did.
aPriL does feral sometimes
The Russians have landed! And are dropping like swatted flies.....

Lucas Davenport doesn't care much about Communist politics, but he isn't too happy about the murdering of Russians on his patch. He's a happy man these days. Married to Weather, who is a highly respected surgeon, raising a new son, Sam, who has become the center of his life, and in having opened his brand new home to an orphaned young teen he rescued in the previous book, Letty, he has settled into the role of family man with surp
Carl Alves
In Hidden Prey, teenager Carl Walther murders a Russian, who winds up at a dock in Duluth, Minnesota. Detective Lucas Davenport is given the task of escorting Nadya Kalin, an investigator sent from the Russian government to work on the case. The investigation leads to Carl’s elderly grandfather, who is a former KGB operative. There isn’t a big mystery as to who the killer is, since it is revealed pretty early. The novel follows both Carl and the investigation of the crime until they come to a he ...more
Brent Soderstrum
This is the 15th book in the Lucas Davenport series

I really have trouble giving any John Sandford book a 3 rating. When I compare the ones I do give 3s to with books by other authors I give 3s to there really isn't a good comparison. It was a entertaining read and had a few twists but it really wasn't as good as many others that I have read in the series. Maybe it was the whole Russian spy angle that is set out in the story.

Lucas is assigned to investigate the murder of a Russian from a ship do
Jenn M
Dec 01, 2015 Jenn M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hidden Prey is another edition in John Sandford's Lucas Davenport "Prey" series. I love Sandford's characterization of Davenport, once a homicide detective for the Minneapolis PD and now a special agent for the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA). Davenport's personality and identity continue to grow and develop with each additional episode in the saga under the creative watchful eye of Sandford.

This book was quite enjoyable--I liked the premise of a Soviet resistance group working outs
Marleen
(Prey book nr. 15) - It amazes me that John Sandford can keep the readers captivated while there isn’t that great a plot to a story. It's all in the writing and the great dialogues. Here, as Lucas Davenport is investigating the murder of a Russian named Rodion Oleshev, found shot, execution style on the shore of Lake Superior, and who, it turns out, had very high government connections. Lucas is joined by a female Russian cop flown in from Moscow to help with the investigation. As their inquirie ...more
Amy Metz
I've said before that I don't like to leave negative reviews. And I know that bestselling authors have feelings just like the rest of us. But somehow, I think John can take it. I am making my way through John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series. I've enjoyed it...up until this book.

The writing was great, as always, but I really am unhappy with the way Sandford made Lucas (pardon the pun) clueless in this book. Lucas Davenport is a seasoned detective. He's supposed to be smart. He's just short of
Kristin
Delightful! A book set in my corner of the world! Not that the Twin Cities isn't my corner of the world, but Duluth and Virginia are a little bit closer to home, shall we say. To all indications, Sandford seems to have done his research; while names of exact places may have been altered, but everything of significance is located as described. Roads, terminals, airports, mines, etc., all right where they belonged.

As much as I was pleased with the location a of the book, I found the plot a bit on
Monnie
May 26, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is something like the 15th in John Sanford's Prey series, and by now, most of what needs to be said about the nuts and bolts of his writing (by me, at least) already has been said. So far, I've yet to be disappointed along my quest to read them all, although I will say that for the first handful of chapters of this one, I wasn't sure it would have quite the appeal for me that the previous books have had.

Looking back, I guess that's because it deals with Russian spy "stuff," and in the begin
Janice
Sep 13, 2010 Janice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Lucas Davenport is busy fixing things around the state for the governor. Married to Weather, son Sam, and ward Letty (who is away for the book), plus housekeeper Ellen. This time Lucas is called in because a Russian national is killed near a wharf. Seems to be a professional hit, but authorities aren't sure whether it's drugs or mafia. Then they find out that the man is the son of a very important Russian. Russians send their people, and Lucas must be the go between. Lucas is still his usual sel ...more
Sandi
Lucas finds himself up along the shores of Lake Superior investigating a dead Russian. Very enjoyable like all the books in this series. Listened to the audio version read by the stellar Richard Ferrone.
Natasha Oliver
Mar 02, 2009 Natasha Oliver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is my first Sandford novel.

I normally don't like repeat characters/series as I feel that it shows a lack of creativity, etc. However he was rec'd to me so I decided to give it a try.

I liked the manner in which this book was written -- short scenes, quick, funny dialogue. But the story itself was typical. I say typical b/c it's what you expect from a novel with recycled characters: references to other books/stories, an open ending to allow for future sales, etc.

If you want a quick, fun read:
Mark Wesling
Mar 27, 2015 Mark Wesling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it very much. Sandford is a much better writter now than in beginning of his career. Looking forward to the next one.
Leslie
Mar 17, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy, cops, mystery
This is a really different Prey book. It starts slowly and is missing many of regular cast of characters.

It looks into what happened to the communist agents in the US when communism went away. How modern Russian capitalists are faced with a small group of true believers.

Through most of the book Davenport and his colleagues are a day late and a dollar short because they aren't dealing with run of the mill criminals but trained operatives hidden in plain sight.

Once you get up to speed this is a h
Richard
Jan 16, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Naked Prey , John Sandford proved again that his writing is as fresh and compulsively readable as ever. "This is vintage Sandford, which is to say all but impossible to put down," said The Washington Post . "Sprawling, suspenseful, tough-minded [and] sheer fun." Six months ago, Lucas Davenport tackled his first case as a statewide troubleshooter, and he thought that one was plenty strange enough. But that was before the Russian got killed. On the shore of Lake Superior, a man named Vladimir ...more
Ashley
May 20, 2015 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Paula Dembeck
This is number 15 in the Prey series.

A dead man is found in a field adjoining a grain elevator on Lake Superior, brutally executed with three bullets to the head and heart. His wallet is gone and it looks like he had a money belt that was also taken. There is a Russian ship in the harbor and he is soon identified as a member of the crew but also someone with interesting government connections. Apart from the robbery, there seems to be no motive for the murder and its style resembles a professio
Sue
Apr 27, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read 6 or 7 books in the John Sandford "Prey" series and I don't normally jump around within a series but this one was $1.99 and looked interesting. It is #15 with charmer Lucas Davenport, BCA. By now, Lucas is married to Weather, a surgeon, and they have an infant son and an orphan son they got in one of the earlier novels. A multi-generational Russian spy ring is operating on the Iron Range and in Duluth, Minnesota. All plausible in an area that was once settled mostly by Eastern Europe ...more
Jordan Kirkwood
Oct 05, 2014 Jordan Kirkwood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In Hidden Prey by John Sandford the storyline is fairly simple. Basically what happened is that in the beginning a man is murdered. That man turns out to be a Russian spy and a former KGB agent. For the rest of the book the U.S. and the Russians are trying to find out who killed him and what he was doing there.
I would rate Hidden Prey a 4 out of 5. One reason I chose this is because the book is very interesting. Even though there are so many books in the series the books stay interesting and do
Sridhar Babu
Sep 22, 2015 Sridhar Babu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author..
John sandford..
Location..
Duluth, Virginia,
Characters..
Lucas Davenport, Nadya Kalin,Jerry Reasons, Trey aka Annabelle Ramford, Rodion Oleshecv, Burt Walther aka Vasilevich Botenkov,Carl Walther, and others..
Genre..
Thriller..
PLOT..
Rodion Oleshecv a Russian Sailor, or perhaps a spy was murdered by an unknown assassin at the TDX grain terminal in Duluth USA. Two days later Mary Wheaton unknown, fifty year old homeless woman also found murdered. No body has been arrested for these two m
Leon Aldrich
Jan 30, 2014 Leon Aldrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Gobbling up this series...
Tiffany
Feb 24, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favorite of the Prey series. I just could not connect with the story at all. As soon as it ventured into the Russian mafia phase my brain checked out and it took me forever to finish reading it. I think there was a nice setup for Trey to show up again, but other than that I wasn't feeling much in this book. Started Broken Prey in hopes that it will get me interested in Lucas Davenport again.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JULY 18, 2015
NarratorL Richard Ferrone

2 stars because I love the series as a whole. If not, I'd give this half a star:(

What a boring mess. First, I'm not interested in espionage and spy thrillers and I don't think this plot belonged to this series. I'd rather Sandford had kept it "pure" and have Davenport solving regular murder cases and off serial killers.

For the most part, I felt like Lucas: " “We really don’t know who is doing what..."

Thank goodness this wasn't my first D
Tish
Apr 23, 2014 Tish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot was good, but I didn't really LIKE any of the characters very much.
N.N. Light
My third Prey book and this was the best one yet. I found again a really well written mystery surrounding the killing of a Russian in the Duluth area. Sanford wove a brilliant story and the book was a non stop page turner that I had trouble putting down for at least 225 pages. I give this a solid 4 stars. I can't give Sanford 5 stars yet.

For whatever reason, this is the second time in three books this has happened, he has trouble concluding his stories. The end of this book was a let down and j
Goodreads Librari...: Page Number 4 24 Jun 16, 2014 08:23PM
prey series 6 39 Mar 17, 2013 11:22AM
Certain Prey & Mortal Prey 3 20 Jan 18, 2013 06:23AM
  • Dead Prey
  • Red Knife (Cork O'Connor, #8)
  • Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)
  • Voodoo River (Elvis Cole, #5)
  • The Angel Maker (Boldt/Matthews, #2)
  • Fresh Disasters (Stone Barrington, #13)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
John Sandford was born John Camp on February 23, 1944, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He attended the public schools in Cedar Rapids, graduating from Washington High School in 1962. He then spent four years at the University of Iowa, graduating with a bachelor's degree in American Studies in 1966. In 1966, he married Susan Lee Jones of Cedar Rapids, a fellow student at the University of Iowa. He was in th ...more
More about John Sandford...

Lucas Davenport (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
  • Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
  • Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)
  • Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport #4)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)
  • Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)
  • Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)

“LIKE ANY GOOD MINNESOTAN, Lucas rarely missed the TV weather before going to bed.” 1 likes
“vegetables in your restaurants are not so good.” “Better in Russia?” Reynolds asked, interested. “I should say so,” Nadya said. “Also better in France, in Germany, in Scandinavia, in Italy, in Israel.” 0 likes