Start by marking “Watch Over Me” as Want to Read:
Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me

Deputy Benjamin Patil is the one to find the infant girl - hours old, abandoned in a field. When the mother can't be located, Ben and his wife, Abbi, seem like the perfect couple to serve as foster parents. But the baby's arrival opens old wounds for Abbi and shines a harsh light on how much Ben has changed since a devastating tour in Afghanistan.
Published October 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Watch Over Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Over Me

Clockstein Lockstein
Oct 20, 2009 Clockstein Lockstein rated it it was amazing
Watch Over Me by Christa Parrish is a stunning follow-up to her debut novel Home Another Way. Benjamin and Abbi Patil have watched their marriage slowly disintegrate after his return from Afghanistan. They are so radically different: Benjamin a police officer who is just your average guy, Abbi a war protester who is vigilant about keeping her vegan diet and safeguarding the earth, it doesn't seem like the love they once shared is enough to pull them through this storm. When Benjamin discovers an ...more
Nora St Laurent
Oct 19, 2009 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
When this book became available to read through an author blog tour I signed up. I had read Home Another Way, Christa’s first book, and couldn’t wait to see where this new author would take me next!

Edgy! Christa has away of not only talking about the elephant in the room, but describes it too. Not in great detail, but enough to make you experience the moment and maybe start to have some compassion and understanding of an uncomfortable situation.

This book is gut-wrenchingly honest, transparent an
Nov 16, 2009 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: for-book-reviews
Watch Over Me, by Christa Parrish is my first book by Christa Parrish. Her style of writing is easy and captivating.

Abbi and Benjamin have been struggling in their marriage since he returned from his military tour to Afganistan. Back in South Dakota, where he is a deputy, he finds a newborn baby girl in a field while carrying out regular duties. He saves the baby and starts visiting her in the hospital every day. When a foster home is needed for the baby, Abbi and Ben step forward.

Ben has shut A
Jan 22, 2010 Lyndi rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2010 Readnponder rated it really liked it
This is the second title I've read by this fairly new author. In both "Watch Over Me" and her earlier "Home Another Way," Christa Parrish introduces characters not usually seen in Christian fiction. For that reason, I shall continue to read her work.

These characters are much less sanitized than what one finds in the typical Amish or prarie novel. They are human beings in process ... and in need of grace. This story involves a 17-year-old deaf/mute boy in renal failure; a deputy sheriff recently
Mar 05, 2010 Carly rated it liked it
When Deputy Benjamin Patil finds a baby girl only a few hours old abandoned in a field, he and his wife Abbi are chosen to be foster parents for her. But, their home is filled with stress and disagreement and may not be the ideal home for this baby. The source of the tension is Benjamin’s trauma while serving in Afghanistan. Their lives intersect with a young man, Matthew who suffers from several medical issues and comes from a troubled family. As Abbi and Benjamin continue to take care of the b ...more
Mar 10, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
This is my second Parrish novel. I read Home Another Way last year and really liked it; therefore I was looking forward to this one. It did not disappoint me.
Watch Over Me is actually a series of stories strung together through the characters. The main story line involves Ben and Abbi Patil, two very different individuals in a very difficult marriage. The other two pivotal parts of the narration are concerning an abandoned infant (where did she come from, whose is she, where will she go) and a d
Apr 22, 2010 Krista rated it liked it
Abbi and her husband, Benjamin, live in a small town. Ben has recently come home from war in Afghanistan where is best friend was killed. Their marriage is on the brink and Benjamin just can not get over the horror of losing his friend and the blame he places on himself for it.

However, when Deputy Benjamin Patil finds an abandoned infant in a field and then Abbi and him become the baby's foster parents will it help him get out of the pain he is living in? Or will it push him over the edge?

Apr 28, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it really liked it

After reading Watch Over Me, I am adding Christa Parrish to my "favorite authors" list.

The first page of this book rocked my senses. I was intrigued and yet haunted by the initial subject matter (an abandoned newborn baby found in a grocery sack) - it was so gripping that I had to sit down and keep reading.

Benjamin and Abbi broke my heart as I read about their struggles. I could easily imagine what it must have been like for him to come home from Afghanistan with post traumatic stress disorder a
Julie Hedlund
This book fell completely flat for me. The story strings together a whole series of implausible events bound by characters that are at best, skeletal and at worst, downright unlikeable. [return][return]So much went wrong here it's hard to know where to begin. Let's begin with implausible events. One of the main characters, Benjamin, serves in Afghanistan with his lifelong best friend, Stephen. Would the armed forces allow lifelong friends to serve together in the same unit? I doubt it. Ben retur ...more
Oct 24, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok
This is why you should never randomly select a book from the "library recommends" shelf. I found out by the end this book was under the category of Christian romance. And indeed the extreme main characters (an Indian police officer/war vet suffering from PTSD and a granola overweight white pacifist married and living in South Dakota--oh and the deaf, 16-year old needing a new kidney) could have easily come out of any Anita Stansfield book.
The positives were that the author portrayed characters I haven't seen in many christian books, a man from India and a vegan environmentalist type and that it brought God into the big picture.
The characters were not develped enough and thought the storyline was interesting I dont feel that there was any true resolution. It didn't end up like a tightly wrapped gift with a bow on top, there were too many loose ends and not clear roads to get to them.
Patty LeBlanc
Feb 20, 2011 Patty LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
I really liked the writing in this book. I had not read a book by Christa Parrish before this, but I enjoyed this one so much that I plan on reading Home Another Way also. Abbi as a character was sometimes a person I loved tremendously and also struggled with her thoughts and ideas. I understood her reasoning for the choices she made, but didn’t always agree with them. Abbi struggles with the changes in her husband and their relationship, and they have many things to work through to get their ma ...more
Apr 04, 2011 Ginger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Christian fiction
I haven't read anything by this author before. This book is listed as Christian was a Christian book;however, it wasn't overdone with lots of Scripture passages, prayers, etc. like some I've read before. I don't mean that in a negative way (I was a deacon's daughter). From the first page, it sucked me right in. I guess finding an abandoned 4 hour old baby in a field has that effect. One thing I really liked about the book is it didn't have the ending I thought it would. I did guess ...more
May 03, 2011 Lori rated it it was amazing
Parrish writes with growing glimpses of the characters, as if they've finally been able to trust you - maybe just a bit - with who they really are. The story grows and makes you want to continue reading, wondering what will happen next - and it's not all 'happily ever after'. Christa writes much more real than that!
Apr 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
I truly fell in love with the struggling characters in Watch Over Me, a novel about loss, need, soul damage, and relationships that heal. Christa Parrish knows how to draw a reader into a complex, emotional, but not overwrought story. Her subtlety is superb. She entices the reader with just enough to want more, painstakingly unfolding the story. Watch over Me opens with a marriage in crisis, a PTSD former soldier struggling with unruly emotions and his peace-loving wife. Distance defines them. W ...more
Leigh Ann
Sep 04, 2012 Leigh Ann rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't sure I was going to stick with this book, the writing style annoyed me for some reason, very short choppy sentences. But, I hung in there and before long I had been sucked in. It was a good fast read. Baby left in field and found by police officer who is trying to recover from Afghanistan and his marriage to his pacifist wife is struggling to. He takes the baby home and the story unfolds from there. One of my favorite characters is a deaf teen named Matt who has significant hea ...more
Oct 04, 2012 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Christa Parrish does it again! I thought her book Home Another Way was excellent, and this one is even better in my opinion. This book pulled me in right away and I really connected with the characters.

This was a touching story centered on God and how He can take devastating situations and use them for His glory.

Deputy Benjamin finds an abandoned baby in a shopping bag that someone had just given birth to and discarded. Since Benjamin and his wife Abbie are registered foster parents, baby Silv
Sep 18, 2012 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: christian, audiobook
This isn't your typical Christian fiction book. Not in a bad way, but different. The author has a way of telling the story that is more raw, more true to real life. She has characters not normally seen in Christian fiction stories, with problems not many want to tackle.

I wasn't always comfortable with the brutal honesty of the words, but mostly because I could identify with the struggle to turn to God first, instead of trying to fix everything by myself; with the struggle to forgive myself for
Jan 16, 2013 Cassandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped-it
I struggled through the first 60 pages and was ready to give up. I decided to read through the first 100 pages and then I could decide whether or not to finish. It got slightly more interesting but I gave up at page 120. I just can't get engaged with the story and don't care about any of the characters except Matthew. His story is not enough to compel me to read the entire novel when I have a stack of books waiting for me.
Apr 17, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it
Liked this book better than the last one I read by this author. My only complaint would be that she leaves some unanswered questions about some characters, and I guess I prefer to know what happens to all of them.
Aug 09, 2013 Melaniegurnett rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read by this author. I enjoyed the book. The plot line was interesting and she did a good job getting me interested in the characters. I always enjoy a book that makes me cry.
My family just had a trip to South Dakota and we saw the badlands and other places mentioned in the book so that was nice.
I felt that the author might have tried to deal with to Many issues for one book but that would be my only criticism.
Nov 18, 2013 Violet rated it it was amazing
Abbi works a regular shift at the local grocery. Her husband Benjamin Patil is a member of the local police force. But Ben’s tour of duty in Afghanistan has changed things between them. They’re no longer the easy-going newlyweds they were when they first came to Beck County, South Dakota.

The day Ben finds a newborn girl abandoned in a grocery bag beside a dried-out stream near town starts a chain of events that alters their lives forever. When Ben can’t find out who the baby belongs to, he and A
Feb 14, 2014 Ranee rated it liked it
A realistic story with real solutions to tough life events.
Jul 07, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
I'm systematically reading through this author's work -- having started with Stones for Bread -- so far none measure up, but I can see her progress and growth as a writer. This story about a cop who finds an abandoned baby and ends up fostering her with his wife who is unable to have children really gets into some interesting issues. Essentially at the heart of the story is a crisis of faith, but it plays out differently for each character involved. Parrish is very talented at creating complex c ...more
Oct 28, 2014 Cyndy rated it it was amazing
It's been a couple years since I read this, but the characters remain memorable. Christa Parrish has a gift for developing characters with real depth. I enjoy a good story, but I really appreciate characters that are believable and not one dimensional. Good job, Christa!
Dec 07, 2014 Gayle rated it it was ok
This book could have been a very good story, one that I wish I could recommend, but all the sexual descriptions made it a book that I will toss. I don't mind clean suggestions to married sexual activity, but to be so descriptive is an affront to me. The book ended with too many loose strings, also.
Feb 12, 2015 Brett rated it liked it
Shelves: 6th-book-project
Good: Christian characters who have real flaws and struggles.
Really good: the depiction of people struggling with their faith.
Bad: the almost comical character traits - an Indian (from India) policeman/war vet married to a vegan pacifist tree hugger who befriend a deaf, poor, basically orphaned kid who needs a kidney transplant - all in South Dakota? Completely plausible.
Really bad: one evening of prayer solves everything at the end, after such delicious crises of faith and development of tensio
Mrs. Jonathan
May 31, 2016 Mrs. Jonathan rated it liked it
Not sure what the main conflict ever was, which was strange. I mean, the characters obviously had major differences; but WHY it suddenly came between them after the tour overseas baffled me. Did they not know each other prior to the tour? Why was she worried about his weight loss but not her own?

I found myself more interested in Matthew. Both main characters never really let me "in" to the main issue.... which felt like it could have been anything.

Interesting, but not really riveting skim-read.
Sep 23, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it
Our lives are interwoven with each other by God. His ways are so much higher than ours!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Living End
  • Talking to the Dead
  • The Night Watchman (Ray Quinn #1)
  • Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God
  • Fatal Deduction
  • Crimson Eve (Kanner Lake Series #3)
  • Things Left Unspoken
  • Persecuted: I Will Not Be Silent
  • House of Secrets
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • Healing Sands (Sullivan Crisp, #3)
  • Between a Rock and a Grace Place: Divine Surprises in the Tight Spots of Life
  • The Believer (Shaker Series, #2)
  • Kept
  • Double Trouble (PJ Sugar, #2)
  • Nosy in Nebraska (Maxie Mouse Mystery #1-3)
  • Leaving Yesterday
  • Valley of the Shadow
Christa Parrish is the award-winning author of four novels and founder of Breaking the Sea Ministries. She lives in upstate New York with her husband, pastor and writer Chris Coppernoll, and they have four children in their blended family. When not writing, she is creative director of Concentric, a contemporary "arts-based" worship service, co-leads her church's youth ministry, and produces a week ...more
More about Christa Parrish...