Start by marking “All The Pretty Dead Girls” as Want to Read:
All The Pretty Dead Girls

All The Pretty Dead Girls

One By One...

Two decades ago, at a private women's college in upstate New York, a student was brutally attacked in her dorm room. Her assailant was never found...

They Disappear...

Sue Barlow arrives at Wilbourne College twenty years later. When a classmate disappears, Sue thinks it's an isolated incident. But then two other girls vanish...

And Die...

As fear grows on campus,
Published (first published 2009)

Matt Garcia
Jul 10, 2016 Matt Garcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue is an incoming freshman at Wilbourne College located in Lebanon, a blue collar, highly conservative town in upstate New York. Wilbourne is a private academy for women that only accepts some men for graduate studies. It's a very conservative institution in terms of political affiliation and temperament. Sue comes from a wealthy background and was raised by her very strict, conservative grandparents. She doesn't really know anything about her parents and her grandparents only provide her with ...more
Wendy
Feb 15, 2017 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took a twist I did not expect. A little Bentley Little-ish. Seemed like a normal "kill/sacrifice the girls" kind of novel then out of nowhere - twist! But I did enjoy the story, all the same
 Olivermagnus
This book centers on Sue Barlow, an incoming freshman at Wilbourne College in upstate New York. Wilbourne is an exclusive private college that has a small student body, primarily made up of women. Raised by her extremely wealthy grandparents, Sue initially welcomes the opportunity to be on her own. She gets a bad feeling once she's there and believes that she repeatedly sees the face of a screaming woman in one of the dormitory windows.

Meanwhile Sheriff Miles Holland, investigating the disappear
Valeri
Sep 23, 2009 Valeri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, the back cover summary of this book is extremely misleading. Secondly... it's just terrible. The author leads you around in circles for the first 3/4s of the book, and not in a good way. When he finally gets to the point it starts to pick up a little, but by then the story has reached its climax, leaving ending flat. Most of the characters are wanting, and the ones that seem to have potential are left in the dust. Over all, not a great read.
Juanita
Mar 12, 2016 Juanita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: All The Pretty Dead Girls by John Manning. 4.5★'s

I was amazed how this book held my interest and I really enjoyed the subject matter. It’s about The Book of Revelations and the Antichrist among satanic cult, a vast group of people from all around the world was established before any one realized what was going on. There whole ordeal was started when Wilbourne College, a private women’s college in upstate New York was built and founded by a wealthy women a hundred and fifty years ago, sec
Mackenzie
Aug 11, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2009
Carey
May 06, 2015 Carey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
started this book without realizing it was a horror, which made the first murder a bit of a shock. overall, i thought it was not bad. finished quickly mainly because i couldn't handle the bad dreams. next will be a fluff novel for sure.
Anja
This book; All the Pretty Dead Girls by john Manning, had some good and some bad things going on. On one hand it is very exciting, a real page turner. I had to force myself from it, so that I could pick up my daughter from school. On the other hand it had a lot of faults. A few things I suspect is because of the translation into Norwegian, there was a few sentences that was badly written.

But there were several other things that I had issues with. One of them was that in almost every dialogue, on
Jeff O'Brien
May 07, 2012 Jeff O'Brien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'd think I'd have nothing negative to say about a book I gave 5 stars to. Well, I have two negative comments. But they have nothing really to do with the story.
1. All The Pretty Dead Girls is a VERY misleading title. If you're expecting an 80's Sorority House Slasher movie in novel form, which the title is suggestive of, that is not even close to what you're getting here.
2. This book has a few too many typos and words missing from sentences. Since that's the editor's job I don't hold it again
Tom M
Feb 27, 2011 Tom M rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 (Goodreads, add half stars!)

To give a sparse summary without giving the story away, Sue Barlow is a new student at the nearly all-female Wilbourne Academy in upstate Lebanon, New York. On her arrival she sees a screaming face in a dorm room that's later found to be unoccupied. During her first few weeks, some female students go missing and are later found murdered. The story continues as a suspense novel with atypical twists, containing elements of The Devil's Advocate as well as his
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical thriller -- have fun with this one!, May 24, 2009

This review is from: All The Pretty Dead Girls (Paperback)
This book was NOT at all what I expected. I was thinking it would be a run-of-the-mill thriller - the type with a plot that I can write in my sleep. I assumed it would feature the usual: torture, rape, and a sicko psycho predator stalking coeds because of some hideous compulsion that would be detailed in the novel. Be warned - there is murder, but the st
Jan
Mar 25, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story, a teenager goes off to the college her mother had gone to. She is 18 and has her first car, and she is thrilled, she gets into college town and gets a ticket, charming the young policeman, she only gets a warning. The world is her oyster. She has been told her mother and father were killed when she was a child and has been raised by her grandparents, she believes in a Godly family, but which God? She looks up at a window in her college and see's the face of a girl screaming in terror, did ...more
Jamie
The novel is not what I thought. I was expecting a serial killer. Also, the book deserves a higher rating than 3.5. Girls at Wilbourne College, an all girls school, have been disappearing for some time. Strange occurrences have been part and parcel of the school. What is going on? Sue, finally feels free of the repressive life under her Grandparents' rule in Manhattan, but Wilbourne has its own rules where freedom seems unwelcome and control by the Dean seems the norm. Lebanon is a boring and Co ...more
Tracy
Aug 10, 2010 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and creepy...bringing demons and the antichrist in for that extra special creepy factor. Sue is finally independent and headed off to college. She has been brought up by her grandparents, her parents have died. She is getting her first taste of freedom...but what is the screaming girl doing in an empty room? Why does she keep seeing it. Why do people tell her her parents are still alive? Girls are going missing from this school and a local sheriff wants to get to the bottom of it, but it se ...more
Susanhayeshotmail.com
Well, what the heck? I thought I was picking up your standard murder mystery type thriller and that's basically how things started but then I find myself reading a horror story involving a cult and sightings of the Virgin Mother and the Anti-Christ? I kept reading because my need for mindless reading is rather tremendous just now but if I'd had much else to choose from I'd probably have ditched this long before the increasingly predictable ending. Two and a half stars? Almost but not quite ok bu ...more
T.M. Carper
I was excepting a straight-forward thriller dealing with a psychopath. What I was treated to was an unexpected, fast-paced read.

A rash of sightings of the Virgin Mary across the world draws a college professor into a world of darkness in a small town where every twenty years, several teenagers mysteriously vanish--only to show up later as corpses. A cult is uncovered, but who can you trust when people of authority cover-up murder?

Now it's up to one profosser to join forces with the daughter of
Jessica
Jul 03, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying I only gave this 2 stars because I actually finished reading it. I struggled, but I finished it. There were a few times I considered not picking it back up, but since the first couple hundred pages were okay-ish, I kept going. The description on the back cover of this book does NOT accurately portray the story. There were demons and alot of weird cult activity, none of which showing up until 2/3 of the way through the book. Definitely not my kind of story. I was thoroughly ...more
Rebecca
Feb 09, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The synopsis of the book on the back cover does not tip you to the fact that this book is devil/stigmata related. Therefore, once I figured that out I was very disappointed because that type of book does not interest me at all. I was under the impression it was a murder mystery/suspense. Finished it to see how it came out but would not recommend it if you are like me and don't like that sort of thing.
Mike
Jun 02, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book; it started out a bit slow and clumsy I thought but as the book went further along it drew me in and towards the last 100 pages or so I simply couldn't put it down. Each page left me wanting to read more and that is a perfect example of a great read.
I think this book can also give those who hate other people based on their religious, sexual or ethical beliefs something to think about. Something that's been lost to far too many people around the globe in this day and age.
Jon Borah
Aug 13, 2015 Jon Borah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY CRAP!!! I was stuck on this book. as a catholic married to a non catholic I constantly get into debates about religios origins and the bad deeds of the catholic church and this book hit upon all of that. plus, the constant movement of the book kept me coming back for more. Would recommend to everyone I met!!
Terri Lytle
Apr 23, 2015 Terri Lytle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What the hell did I just read? The back of the book leads you to believe it's one kind of story...start reading the book, and you end up scratching your head, saying: "wtf" every five minutes! Somehow we went from serial killers to satanists. Awesome.... NOT! I'm really glad I only spent a dollar on this book. Any more than that, and I'd have to summon satan to get me a refund!
Nichole

This book made me laugh. It started off an intriguing fast paced mystery, but turned into something completely crazy and unbelievable. I found the main character Sue to be annoying. I did however quite enjoy the fate of the Joyce Davenport character since clearly she was based on Ann Coulter. That was pure poetic justice and earned the book an additional star from me.
Fauziah
It was ok......the ending is to be expected though. About a girl conceived from a devil and a human?????????? Naturally, the girl ends up having superpower.....whether she wants be like her evil devil father or humane like her mum, which I forgot to mention, the mum was rape by the devil. She is sacrificed by her parents...can you believe that?
Ina
Apr 28, 2011 Ina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conspiracy
It wasn't all that, but enjoyable read if you want something easy and a book you can relax with. I really liked the Sue character a lot. Very fun and a girl with guts. Someone who knows what to do in different situations. And I also liked Manning's writing style a lot so I'm going to check out more about his books later.
Bruce
Jun 05, 2014 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I certainly wasn't expecting the story that I got. Based on the description on Amazon, I thought this was going to be a straight forward suspense. It had a supernatural element that went in a direction that I did not see coming. Still, it was pretty entertaining.
Rachel Helwig
Mar 30, 2016 Rachel Helwig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
NOT what I expected. I was expecting a murder mystery/thriller. Instead it turned into a paranormal religious romp. Slow and sloppy at the beginning, and by that I mean jumping between multiple characters, times and locations for for about 200 pages. But, it picked up speed and ended well.
Paula Brandon
Careful with this one! The blurb makes it sound like a serial killer type thriller. It's not! It's a horror novel! Lots of supernatural stuff going on here. It's not bad, but the blurb is very misleading.
Sandy Pfefferkorn
There were lots of spelling and grammatical errors in the book. The publishing company needs to get a more meticulous proof-reader. The story was intriguing but very far-fetched. However, I did enjoy it.
Meredith
Good book for a beach read. It was a freebie at the house I stayed at and was something easy and different than what I'd brought with me. I needed a change of pace and this was a fast read. The story wasn't really new, but engaging enough that I wanted to see it through to the end.
Darlene
Feb 19, 2014 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book i thought was pretty good some of it was alittle weird hard to understand but in the long run i like i read it likt a few years ago so i really cant tell what happened im sorry just wanted to write a review....But i did enjoy it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Hades
  • Hunter's Moon
  • 2 in the Hat
  • Commuters
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Watch Them Die
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Spitting Off Tall Buildings
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark #1)
  • Deadly Visions
  • The Better to Hold You (Abra Barrow #1)
  • Into the Wildewood (Faire Folk Trilogy #2)
  • The California Roll
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
John Manning lives in Boston and Los Angeles and several points in between. A connoisseur of horror films, he especially loves the great made-for-television movies of the 1970s, where the devil always seemed to be lurking around the corner of a college dormitory or a suburban mansion.
More about John Manning...