Start by marking “The Goth Bible: A Compendium for the Darkly Inclined” as Want to Read:
The Goth Bible: A Compendium for the Darkly Inclined

The Goth Bible: A Compendium for the Darkly Inclined

What you don't know about goths could fill a book!

An artistic culture that revels in the Victorian romantic movement, The goth Bible brings to light the traditions and history of all that is goth. The goth culture has been one of the most controversial and maligned in media history. Presented as homicidal, suicidal and socio-pathic, in the national consciousness goths are
Published October 4th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Goth Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goth Bible

Maryann
Jun 11, 2013 Maryann rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People interested in graveyards but not goth.

If this is The Goth Bible, then what goth needs is a New Testament.

Sometimes a snappy title indicates an author’s talent. Often, however, it obscures a mediocre effort by piquing interest with a promise that will never be delivered. What I had hoped for was an authoritative compendium of all that is goth. At the very least, a worthy reference guide.

I suspected I was going to be disappointed from the moment I read the gem that is the first paragraph of the foreword:

“When my agent, Lori Perkins, s
Sara
Jan 20, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. Nancy Kilpatrick wrote an entertaining and informative book about the goth subculture and about interesting, creepy, esoteric, haunting things in general. I learned quite a bit.

To start, I had no idea my husband's new Doc Martins made him so cool!

I learned quite a bit about music - punk, post punk, new wave, old stuff, new stuff. Looked up some of the bands online and listened to some of the music.

I learned about absinthe - history, current usage. The author has a c
Sam
Nov 09, 2009 Sam rated it it was ok
I'll be honest, I was kind of disappointed by this book. While Kilpatrick does give a thorough although not entirely in depth look into the goth culture, its origins and influences, I found a lot of it aimed at disproving assumptions made by the mainstream or by showing those who think they're goth why they're not goth. It was this latter trend that I found rather excluding, which is not what the goth movement is all about. It doesn't matter how much of the lifestyle you do or don't follow, if y ...more
Kai
Feb 29, 2012 Kai rated it liked it
I kind of liked, kind of hated this book. It was informative in parts and had some interesting histories, but in other parts the author comes off as disappointingly snobbish and unnecessarily defensive and judgmental about the same people that are supposed to be becoming informed by this book. That's not exactly the best way to foster understanding and win people over.

I did enjoy reading people's personal stories about their lives in different subcultures and varying degrees of the lifestyle. B
Rachel Pollock
A sort of "insider guide" of sorts, full of relevant information but poorly copy-edited. And general editing could have been better as well, as many of the chapters read like they had been compiled from C&Ps from websites, which judging by the list of relevant websites at the end of each chapter, may have been the case. The book also suffers from the obsolescence of a lot of print media of its time (early 2000s) that relied on web links as if they were going to be eternally relevant. Many of ...more
Lára  Arnarsdóttir
Nov 19, 2012 Lára Arnarsdóttir rated it liked it
Shelves: reread

This year I'm mostly doing the thing that, until 2014, I thought is not going to happen: rereading books, so I was looking at one of my home bookshelves and Goth Bible caught my eye. It's been years since I bought and read that one!

Once I settled in my bed, listening to Peter Murphy's new album, I started reading it and it's been so entertaining - for the 2nd time! I've haven't had that much fun in a whole year, at least not yet.

It's not a manual, but a book purely for entertainment. Lots of gre
Viv
Apr 29, 2015 Viv rated it liked it
An excellent book to take to bingo to reinforce the idea that you're a bit weird
CM
Dec 26, 2015 CM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: subcultures
"Indugiate nel segreto piacere di sguazzare nelle artistiche ed erotiche tenebre. Sinceramente, non credo possa farvi del male."

"Essere goth per me equivale ad assumere un modo di pensare che estetizza la morte e il dolore. Rendendoli in questo modo, forse, accettabili."
† Azazello

"Molti goth lo sono a causa di una raffinata sensibilità nei confronti della vita, e di una particolare abilità nel riconoscere e tollerare gli elementi oscuri che molti membri della società sono impegnati a ignorare, c
Denise Monegato
Apr 09, 2012 Denise Monegato rated it it was ok
Good browsing Goth read. I like the way the book is organized; it's 'consumer goth' culture, but the author provides historical background on gothic influences across different mediums. Kilpatrick uses language well. so far, so good, only halfway through.
Michael
May 31, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
This book is a good introduction to the goth scene. It offers the basic information about goth music, fashion, and culture. It is by no means the most in depth source, but it can be a good reference to curious baby bats who want to get a good start on their own journey into the subculture.
Caroline Åsgård
Mar 08, 2016 Caroline Åsgård rated it liked it
I read a sample, and this book is basically based on questions answered by goths all around the world. Not particularly interesting for me, but if you are, go right ahead!
Claudia
Apr 22, 2008 Claudia marked it as to-read
anyone who has it i will but it!
Ashley Howd
Jun 11, 2011 Ashley Howd rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Goths (especially the younger ones) and anyone who wishes to understand Goths
Shelves: favorites, goth
A great resource on the Gothic subculture. . .
Lauren
Jan 20, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
I didn't fully read it but did enjoy the bits I read :)
Sofymoon
Oct 09, 2014 Sofymoon rated it really liked it
Really interesting, The goth World is so beautiful and various! If you are goths be proud of it :)
Raven
I LOVED IT. LOVE IT. IT WAS REALLY COOL! I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE goth SUBCULTURE WAS SO VARIED AND ELABORATE... I REALLY ENJOYED THIS BOOK A LOT.
Kim Palonen
Apr 19, 2016 Kim Palonen rated it really liked it
It's a handy book. I liked it, but it wa at times too serious for me. It might give other people the wrong idea of what goth is but it states in the beginning that this doesn't matter.
Dexter
Jun 22, 2009 Dexter rated it really liked it
Currently reading this wonderful book, which is very well-written. I hope it knocks some of the misconceptions of the culture, of which there are many.
Sheila
Nov 05, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this book up. Once I read a few chapters I realized this was a kind of gothic history book. It's kind of a dull read really. I couldn't finish it.
Hayley Bonfield
Hayley Bonfield rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Jennifer Mcdaniel
Jennifer Mcdaniel rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
G.R.S. Hjelm
G.R.S. Hjelm rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Brie
Brie rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2010
Mário Matos
Mário Matos rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Renée
Renée rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Celia Nikooru
Celia Nikooru rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2013
Sara Soper
Sara Soper rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Viola Noir
Viola Noir rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Goth-Icky: A Macabre Menagerie of Morbid Monstrosities
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Official Game Guide for PC and Xbox 360
  • Voice Of The Blood
  • The Arena Wars (Arena Wars #1)
  • In Darkness We Must Abide: The Complete First Season (IDWMA Episodic Serial, #1-5)
  • The Art of Emily The Strange