Start by marking “40 More Years: How the Democrats Will Rule the Next Generation” as Want to Read:
40 More Years: How the Democrats Will Rule the Next Generation

40 More Years: How the Democrats Will Rule the Next Generation

Every four years Americans hold a presidential election. Somebody wins and somebody loses. That's life. But 2008 was an anomaly. The election of President Barack Obama is about something far bigger than four or even eight years in the White House. Since 2004, Americans have been witnessing and participating in the emergence of a Democratic majority that will last not four ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 4th 2009 by Tantor Media (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 40 More Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 40 More Years

Marla
Aug 10, 2016 Marla rated it really liked it
This book really reminded me how much Bush messed up when he was president. His heart was in the right place, but he had no clue what he was doing. What went on during Hurricane Katrina is heartbreaking. This really shows how messed up the GOP is, that they are mainly for the older white man and that they have a long way to go to fix their issues.
Daniel Solera
Jun 08, 2009 Daniel Solera rated it liked it
This is inarguably the most partisan book I have read thus far. I picked it up after seeing it on (predictably) a DailyKos article about a month ago, and finished it in a few days.

The biggest draw to this book is Carville himself. He's more than a political analyst, he's a media celebrity. His political analysis aside, he has celebrated his comical side with cameos in movies such as "Old School" and further posing as a caricature of himself in last season of "30 Rock". It is not surprising then,
Maciek
Jan 18, 2013 Maciek rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, english
Anyone familiar with the flamboyant style of commentary of the Democratic consultant James Carville should have no trouble imagining the content and language of the book. It would be amiss to categorize the book as partisan drivel as, in reality, it pinpoints a more significant phenomenon: the larger shifts in the dominance of one party over another in the course of American history. Carville opines that that just as Republicans set the tone of the debate from 1968 until 2008, now the dominance ...more
Alicia
Jan 20, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Goodness gracious. How James Carville's marriage to the uber conservative Mary Matalin, I will never understand. His political views, while not the most progressive I've read about, are so far afield from his wife's and he writes about politics with such passion, it's hard to imagine how they hold a civil conversation. Even with politics aside, his views on child rearing are so far from Republican party principals that I wonder who won the battle on teaching their daughters about birth control a ...more
Brian
I don't usually read fiction, but made an exception in this case. Carville is a loonatic, does the usual "Bush" blame game, but does manage to make a few valid points regarding Republicans. They are well hidden though. Among these is the the basic point that Republicans cannot win by out Democrating Democrats. Most of the book is filled with statistics manipulated to prove his points , limited evidence, and half stories. Pretty much typical stuff for that group.
Kathleen Dennis Richardson
Mar 25, 2011 Kathleen Dennis Richardson rated it really liked it
When I first read it I would have given it a 5. I love the Ragin' Cajun but his predictions we now know were unfortunately simplistic. Politics is not always about logical analysis, it oft times is anything but. I will be the first to say I wish he were right and in the end the browning of America will help the Dems.
Pat Fallon
Fun book if you're a democrat. If you're a republican ----well not so much-- I really don't know what republicans think is fun. I did like the line " Republican exist to protect what people have, and Democrats exist to help people have the oppurtunity to acquire the things that they need".
John
Jan 10, 2010 John rated it liked it
Overall, Carville makes some good points, though I could've used less of his continuous comparison of Bush with Clinton (for whom I have little respect), nor do I share his opinion that Florida 2000 was a "stolen" election.
Aimee
Oct 06, 2009 Aimee rated it really liked it
Loved this. Carville is a great writer. I think my favorite line in the book is when discussing a "creationist" book that was being sold under the Science section of the Grand Canyon National Park giftshop, he cites a ranger who remarked, "What's next? 'Old Faithful: Nostrils of Satan'?"
Ken McDouall
May 22, 2010 Ken McDouall rated it liked it
Carville had written a fairly entertaining rant against Republican policies and tactics, published shortly after Obama's election. He urges Democrats to pursue and progressive agenda and stand up to conservative blustering. If only...
Kathy
Sep 01, 2016 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is actually better than my rating. But it is very timely-- for 2008-09. Of course, it is quite biased and some terms remained unexplained in my mind. But it gave me hope-- and made me laugh with his charged words.
Suzanne Kittrell
Oct 19, 2009 Suzanne Kittrell rated it it was amazing
Always wickedly funny, even if you don't see quite eye-to-eye with him. But always thought provoking. He makes me LOL.
Heather Denkmire
Apr 03, 2010 Heather Denkmire rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Bummer. I love Carville, usually, but this is so completely stuck in the right wing frames it was impossible for me to listen to it for more than about 1/3.
Dr. Marcia Chatelain
I happen to know the co-author on this book, and so I'm sure I will enjoy this read about the political process.
Erin
Sep 16, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If Republicans would have read this book after the last defeat they might have had a chance in 2012.
Amy Wolf
Feb 14, 2013 Amy Wolf rated it really liked it
As always, Carville amuses while he entertains. As a Democrat, of course I love his premise, so he was preaching to the choir. He makes a convincing argument with a bevy of statistics.
Papajack
Nov 22, 2009 Papajack rated it liked it
Love it or hate it, depends where you are.
Vivek Biswas
Vivek Biswas rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2011
Erin Christmas
Erin Christmas rated it really liked it
May 10, 2009
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Marlene
Marlene rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2009
James
James rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2009
Gary Hainsworth
Gary Hainsworth rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Hunter Earley
Hunter Earley rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2009
Ebony *LilKoalaBooks*
Ebony *LilKoalaBooks* rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Identidigital
Identidigital rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2010
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
James Carville is an former U.S. Marine, political consultant, commentator, actor, media personality and pundit. Known as "the Ragin' Cajun," Carville gained national attention for his work as the lead strategist of the successful presidential campaign of then-Arkansas governor Bill Clinton. Carville was the co-host of CNN's Crossfire until its final broadcast in June 2005. Since its cancellation, ...more
More about James Carville...

“I've got enormous breasts.” 2 likes