Start by marking “Grandpa and Bo” as Want to Read:
Grandpa and Bo

Grandpa and Bo

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Bo was spending the summer with Grandpa. they walked and fished and made thing together. They celebrated Christmas together -- a very special summer Christmas. But best of all, they talked and laughed and talked some more. And when they finally saw the shooting star at the end of the summer, there was no question the their wishes would be the same.
Published April 16th 2002 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Grandpa and Bo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandpa and Bo

May 29, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I really enjoyed looking at the pictures in this book, they were so soft and peaceful. The ending was really sweet, it made me smile. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Matthew
Jun 13, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice grandfather/grandson book about visiting a loved grandparent that lives too far for regular visits. Because the grandson loves visiting at Christmas the best, the grandfather makes his summer visit include the Christmas he longs for. On the whole this is one story, among many, that reminds me of how special a relationship between grandparents and grandchildren can be and I love it for that. A big winner in my mind.
Cheeri
Oct 07, 2013 Cheeri rated it really liked it
This is one of Kevin Henkes earlier books. It was published in 1986. I enjoyed this story about the tender relationship between a boy and his grandpa because of my own sweet relationship with my grandmother. Bo is spending the whole summer with his Grandpa in the country. This book talks about the many adventures they have together and how their relationship grows stronger as the summer goes by. I like how Kevin Henkes' illustrations mirrored the sweet simpleness of the story. The illustrations ...more
Danielle Harriger
Sep 03, 2012 Danielle Harriger rated it really liked it
PB 37: I loved this book because it truly captured the innocence and affectionate relationship of a grandfather with his grandson. I think many children can relate to this book, as I am able reflect on my own memories with my grandfather when I was a child. For example, my grandfather would always take me on long, relaxing walks, much like Bo and his grandpa. Also, my grandpa lived in Florida for most of the year, so this story resonated with me because I understood the feelings of Bo when he re ...more
Sandra Guerfi
Mar 11, 2016 Sandra Guerfi rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A beautiful story about a young boy and his loving relationship with the grandfather he sees a few times a year. Great addition to any little boy's reading shelf by a master story teller.
Cindy
Apr 25, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about a little boy spending his summer with his grandfather. The book has such nice drawings, and knowing that they were hand drawn by the author, makes it quite special.
Josiah
Sep 21, 2009 Josiah rated it it was ok
This is a very nice book, and one that seems to be written with a bit more of the same touch that Kevin Henkes uses in his novels for middle-graders than is common for his picture books.
The interaction between Bo and his grandpa flows smoothly and just exactly the way it feels that it is supposed to, and this lovely relationship is supported and nurtured in the reader's mind by the quiet, peaceful course that nature takes all around them as the two live their lives together, for the short time
Cheyenne
This is a sweet story about a little boy spending the summer with his grandfather.
Jen
Jul 13, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my boys for the first time tonight and what a little gem of a book! I had a beautiful relationship with my Grandpa who lived just down the road from the farm I grew up on, so this book brought back many memories of him. Bo lives in the city and Grandpa in the country and every summer Bo goes to visit Grandpa. They spend time fishing, sitting under Mr. Douglas Fir, and other fun things. I love how Grandpa created Christmas in Summer! The black and white illustrations are soft ...more
Jennifer Kim
Feb 15, 2013 Jennifer Kim rated it liked it
This book really seemed to have captured the sense of serenity and innocence of a young boy and his trip to the country to see his grandpa. The illustrations and the story introduces the reader to certain aspects, such as cornfields and basket weaving, that may be totally foreign to children who have spent their entire lives in highly populated living environments. The book also portrays the easy going and loving relationship between a boy and his grandpa, something that many readers might relat ...more
Margaret
This little book is delightful. Another Henkes we found in the library. This book is an adventure of a long visit with a child and grandfather. It is a beautiful story that anyone can enjoy whether they have grandparents to visit and be close ti or read about what it might be like. Wouldn't hesitate to check it out again.
Dayna
Sep 15, 2010 Dayna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is a really sweet childrens book with beautiful illustrations that give a homey old-fashioned feel to the story. Bo and his Grandfather spend precious time together - they fish, and hike, and sit by the lake. Great read.
Shannon
Sep 14, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Wow, why isn't this book included on every single mentor text ever for teaching personal narrative? Each page is a small moment in a sweet summer spent with a boy and his grandfather.
Kathryn
Early Henkes. Sweet with the friendship between the grandfather and grandson and the "Christmas in summer" idea but not told in an especially engaging way. Not as good as his later stuff.
Tricia
Feb 16, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
while pictures are dated, this book has a precious story of a boy and her grandpa who are spending their summer together.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Viba
Viba rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Kelsey Robertson
Kelsey Robertson marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Carlos
Carlos rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Fiona R
Fiona R marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jeremiah Henderson
Jeremiah Henderson marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Tommy Schlosser
Tommy Schlosser rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Allie Womack
Allie Womack marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Debbie Jo
Debbie Jo rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Rachel Rouleau
Rachel Rouleau rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...