Start by marking “On The Jews and Their Lies” as Want to Read:
On The Jews and Their Lies

On The Jews and Their Lies

Martin Luther's historical rant against the Jewish people.
Published February 18th 2009 by lulu.com (first published 1543)

To ask other readers questions about On The Jews and Their Lies, please sign up.

Larry O'Mara “It seems highly doubtful,” really; rather than flapping around in gross ignorance why not try checking the quotes? Revolutionary idea I’d admit. Once…more“It seems highly doubtful,” really; rather than flapping around in gross ignorance why not try checking the quotes? Revolutionary idea I’d admit. Once you’ve obtained knowledge you’ll see that everything Luther said was true. Georgie, take two aspirins and go to bed.

Try this:
(less)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Yeah, the Reformation really wasn't much of an improvement. A painful read.

"Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding."
-Martin Luther

"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has."
-Martin Luther

Yep, that about sums it up.
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I used to have a picture of Martin Luther in my room with pride and great admiration but when I read such hateful things he would have to say about the Jews, it broke my heart and I lost all respect for Martin Luther with his Nazi views.
Lewis Weinstein
The words of Martin Luther, published shortly before his death in 1546 ... from childhood, Jews have been brought up with poison and hatred against our Lord ... their schools have nothing but self-praise, vanity, lies, blasphemy, disgracing God and man ... dear Christian, next to the Devil you have no more bitter, more poisonous, more vehement enemy than a real Jew ... the Jews, as foreigners, should have nothing; and what they have should be ours ... the Talmud and Rabbis write that it is no si ...more
Phillip Watkins
I was reading Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and got to chapter 4, about 1/3 of the way thru, then took a break and read The Jews and Their Lies by Martin Luther. The transition from one book to the other was so smooth it felt like it was an extra chapter within Mein Kampf itself.
Ashtyn Bell
May 14, 2014 Ashtyn Bell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a disgusting read.
Justin
Dec 09, 2012 Justin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a giant fucker! L
Nick
Jan 23, 2012 Nick rated it it was ok
Most of this focuses on theological minutia. I can't tell if the Jews are really "lying" in this sense, because I don't know anything about these inane theological disputes. However, I would say that if this is an accurate representation of Lutheran theology (and based on the author, I'll make that assumption) then a believing Lutheran must have a pretty poor opinion of Jews.

There are some legitimate criticisms of the Jewish arrogance in presuming to be God's chosen ethnic group. Judaism *is* th
Eusebius Clay
Jun 02, 2014 Eusebius Clay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have nothing negative to say about the Protestant denominations of Christianity; instead, I will make a positive statement. I support semitism. I will now make a negative statement: I do not support antisemitism in any shape or form. I can, therefore, only rate this book one star.
Shane
Jul 23, 2013 Shane marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Never knew Martin Luther wrote an entire book for his antisemitism. That's hilarious, especially the crotchety title
James Cloyd
Luther maybe the founder of protestantism and a hero in the eyes of many Christians, but he let his true colors show in this little book. As it turns out, Luther was a hateful & ignorant bigot who did much to propagate the antisemitism that led the Holocaust. I think that might make him an even bigger dick than John Calvin, who turned in his friend Servetus in to be burned at the stake for a theological disagreement. At least Calvin put in a request for a painless death be decapitation. It w ...more
Leeann Mccaig
I want to read this for historical context purposes. FYI
SpaceBear
Awful, but provides interesting perspective on the origins of anti-Semitism in Europe.
Doaa Hamed
م يقل لوثر ما قاله في حق اليهود إلا من أجل نفسه وممن يدعمون رأيه من بني جلدته ، وإن لم يصبهم من اليهود شيئا ، وأصابوا من دونهم بأحقر مما قال ، ما حرك ساكنا . والدليل أنه دعي الي تهجيرهم الي ما يسموه اليهود بأرض الميعاد ، فكانت بداية نشأة المأساة الفلسطينية .
" كل يبكي علي ليلاه " .
Erin
Jan 23, 2017 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I thought Luther's "Open Letter on Translation" was laugh-out-loud funny. This one is an actual blueprint for the holocaust. If it doesn't turn your stomach, take a long hard look at yourself.
Pat Schakelvoort
Luther sure had some valid points, like about the "diaspora-attitude" and about the socalled aligance to the Caesars.

And don`t come here saying Jesus was a jew. A christian believes that Jesus was part of the trinity god, so they consider Jesus as the creator of the whole world including the jews themselves. But if Jesus had lied he probably was a jew.
NELS
I gave it one star because of the seething anti-semitism and Jew hatred throughout this Christian rant. It's a difficult read because it is mostly comprised of religious diatribe and ranting. Luther then has a mean and severe list of actions that he wants German princes to take against the Jews. Then he continues with the religious rant. At one point it reminded me of watching a Glenn Beck rant. It's clear that Luther is on a war footing against all who oppose his views. He presents a clearly re ...more
Diana
Supplemental reading for my Western Civilizations class. This treatise was written by Martin Luther in 1543 and shows how his feelings in the Jewish people changed over his lifetime. We were assigned this to show how long Antisemitism had been a part of history, since the chapter this went with was on the Pogroms in Europe in the 1800's. I have wanted to read this for a few years since Martin Luther's life and writings are a part of the time in history I'm most interested in and I'm happy my cla ...more
Simone
Oct 24, 2014 Simone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il giudizio ha assolutamente bisogno di una chiarificazione: le 5 stelle non si riferiscono alle tesi esposte nel libro ma al suo valore come testimonianza storia dell'antiebraismo del padre della Riforma.
Se e' anacronistico definire Lutero antisemita il libro dimostra chiaramente come l'odio teologico (buona parte del libro e' una confutazione teologica dell'ebraismo) posso alla fine raggiungere le stesse conclusioni dell'antisemitismo razzista otto-novecentesco.
Zach Boyle
While very hard on the Jews, I would attribute much of it to the time period. Further it does raise the interesting point of whether the Jews were God's people by their faith or by their works, which goes against the modern narrative. Interesting perspective from a Protestant church father.
Shannon
Oct 21, 2016 Shannon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this for a class. Good for getting history straight from the jackass' mouth- but horrible to read. Luther was a flaming anti-semite, and encouraged his followers to hate, harm, cheat, steal from, and even kill the Jewish people.
Rick Dugan
May 05, 2015 Rick Dugan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though Martin Luther gave us some brilliant writings, this was not one of them. It's one of the most horrendous things I've read, and repetitive on top. Amazing how one who could see faith so clearly could be so blind when it came to love.
Hassaan
Hassaan rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2013
Hal Johnson
Hal Johnson rated it did not like it
Jul 19, 2015
Marwan
Marwan rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Nicolle
Nicolle rated it liked it
May 10, 2011
Rachael Whitley
Rachael Whitley rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Joseph Mahmud
Joseph Mahmud rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Mohand Fouad
Mohand Fouad rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Courtney
Courtney rated it it was ok
May 19, 2016
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Short Guide to Writing About History
  • Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed The World
  • For the Soul of Mankind: The United States, the Soviet Union, and the Cold War
  • Doc Holliday
  • Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
  • A Century of Dishonor: A Sketch of the United States Government’s Dealings with some of the Indian Tribes
  • National Geographic Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Time Line
  • Jack the Ripper: The Definitive History
  • Roanoke: The Abandoned Colony
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • Mohammed
  • One-Night Stands with American History: Odd, Amusing, and Little-Known Incidents
  • A Short History of the French Revolution
  • The Cult of the Black Virgin
  • The Forbidden Universe: The Occult Origins of Science and the Search for the Mind of God
  • The Sword of the Prophet: Islam - History, Theology, Impact on the World
  • Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy
  • The Outline of History
Martin Luther was a German monk, theologian, university professor and church reformer whose ideas inspired the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a spiritual priesthood. According
More about Martin Luther...

“If God had not permitted the people of Jerusalem to be torn asunder and driven them from the land, but had let them keep it after before, no one could convince them that they are not God`s chosen people.” 7 likes
“Accordingly, it must and dare not be considered a trifling matter but a most serious one to seek counsel against this and to save our souls from the Jews, that is, from the devil and from eternal death. My advice, as I said earlier, is:

First, that their synagogues be burned down, and that all who are able toss in sulphur and pitch; it would be good if someone could also throw in some hellfire. That would demonstrate to God our serious resolve and be evidence to all the world that it was in ignorance that we tolerated such houses, in which the Jews have reviled God, our dear Creator and Father, and his Son most shamefully up till now but that we have now given them their due reward.”
0 likes