Start by marking “On The Jews and Their Lies” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
On The Jews and Their ...

Martin Luther

On The Jews and Their Lies

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Martin Luther's historical rant against the Jewish people.
Published February 18th 2009 by lulu.com (first published 1543)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Yeah, the Reformation really wasn't much of an improvement. A painful read.

"Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding."
-Martin Luther

"Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has."
-Martin Luther

Yep, that about sums it up.
Lewis Weinstein
The words of Martin Luther, published shortly before his death in 1546 ... from childhood, Jews have been brought up with poison and hatred against our Lord ... their schools have nothing but self-praise, vanity, lies, blasphemy, disgracing God and man ... dear Christian, next to the Devil you have no more bitter, more poisonous, more vehement enemy than a real Jew ... the Jews, as foreigners, should have nothing; and what they have should be ours ... the Talmud and Rabbis write that it is no si ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
I used to have a picture of Martin Luther in my room with pride and great admiration but when I read such hateful things he would have to say about the Jews, it broke my heart and I lost all respect for Martin Luther with his Nazi views.
Ashtyn Bell
This is a disgusting read.
Nick
Most of this focuses on theological minutia. I can't tell if the Jews are really "lying" in this sense, because I don't know anything about these inane theological disputes. However, I would say that if this is an accurate representation of Lutheran theology (and based on the author, I'll make that assumption) then a believing Lutheran must have a pretty poor opinion of Jews.

There are some legitimate criticisms of the Jewish arrogance in presuming to be God's chosen ethnic group. Judaism *is* th
Eusebius Clay
I have nothing negative to say about the Protestant denominations of Christianity; instead, I will make a positive statement. I support semitism. I will now make a negative statement: I do not support antisemitism in any shape or form. I can, therefore, only rate this book one star.
Phillip Watkins
I was reading Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler and got to chapter 4, about 1/3 of the way thru, then took a break and read The Jews and Their Lies by Martin Luther. The transition from one book to the other was so smooth it felt like it was an extra chapter within Mein Kampf itself.
Justin
What a giant fucker! L
Shane
Jul 23, 2013 Shane marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Never knew Martin Luther wrote an entire book for his antisemitism. That's hilarious, especially the crotchety title
Simone
Il giudizio ha assolutamente bisogno di una chiarificazione: le 5 stelle non si riferiscono alle tesi esposte nel libro ma al suo valore come testimonianza storia dell'antiebraismo del padre della Riforma.
Se e' anacronistico definire Lutero antisemita il libro dimostra chiaramente come l'odio teologico (buona parte del libro e' una confutazione teologica dell'ebraismo) posso alla fine raggiungere le stesse conclusioni dell'antisemitismo razzista otto-novecentesco.
Pat Shackleford
Luther sure had some valid points, like about the "diaspora-attitude" and about the socalled aligance to the Caesars.

And don`t come here saying Jesus was a jew. A christian believes that Jesus was part of the trinity god, so they consider Jesus as the creator of the whole world including the jews themselves. But if Jesus had lied he probably was a jew.
Padfoot
Padfoot marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Tneal
Tneal marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Pentti Mäkinen
Pentti Mäkinen marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Flora
Flora marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Rob Schaber
Rob Schaber marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Mohamad
Mohamad marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Hyperontologies
Hyperontologies is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Martin Luther was a German monk, theologian, university professor and church reformer whose ideas inspired the Protestant Reformation and changed the course of Western civilization.

Luther's theology challenged the authority of the papacy by holding that the Bible is the only infallible source of religious authority and that all baptized Christians under Jesus are a spiritual priesthood. According
More about Martin Luther...
The Bondage of the Will Martin Luther's Ninety-Five Theses On Christian Liberty Small Catechism, with Explanation Martin Luther: Selections from His Writings

“If God had not permitted the people of Jerusalem to be torn asunder and driven them from the land, but had let them keep it after before, no one could convince them that they are not God`s chosen people.” 7 likes
“Accordingly, it must and dare not be considered a trifling matter but a most serious one to seek counsel against this and to save our souls from the Jews, that is, from the devil and from eternal death. My advice, as I said earlier, is:

First, that their synagogues be burned down, and that all who are able toss in sulphur and pitch; it would be good if someone could also throw in some hellfire. That would demonstrate to God our serious resolve and be evidence to all the world that it was in ignorance that we tolerated such houses, in which the Jews have reviled God, our dear Creator and Father, and his Son most shamefully up till now but that we have now given them their due reward.”
0 likes