Start by marking “The Janitor (The Contenders, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Janitor (The Contenders, #1)

The Janitor (The Contenders #1)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  37 reviews
I’m a naturally optimistic type of person, you know? Yeah, I think good things will happen, only they usually don’t. Take Noel: even though he’s educated and rich and he don’t think he’s even gay, I want to belong to him. I want him to take me completely---Dane Connelly

Dane Connelly is a gay janitor and boxer with a soft heart and a simple outlook--he wants to meet the rig
Published May 2009 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about The Janitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Janitor

Force of Law by Jez MorrowTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneA Note in the Margin by Isabelle RowanFrog by Mary CalmesCinder by Marie Sexton
Best Gay Cinderfellas
37th out of 188 books — 334 voters
Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenDiscipline by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
160th out of 604 books — 883 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Jan 16, 2015 julio rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Drunk college students.
Recommended to julio by: Someone with a poor memory.
For a while there I thought I was going to die of compassion.

Now? I'm pretty sure I've been trolled.

This story is an incredible number of good and important ideas, gathered up together by kind and tender hands, mounded up into an appealing shape, doused with gasoline, set-fire-to, and kicked directly into your face.

Fuck you, Loose Id, for all your help in making this horridly-edited novel what it is today, but mostly for a cover that has next to nothing to do with the book, nicely-done bit of ph
DarienMoya
AN UNLIKELY PARTNERSHIP!!!

I enjoyed this book so much that I find myself going every few days to bask in pure love of the main men.

Dane is a boxer, scarred and considered not very smart because of the way he looks and talks. His appearance says strong and tough but never was there a man more gentle and fragile. He is a just a poor man searching for someone to love and to have someone love him in return. working as a janitor at a local university he meets the man he is destined to love but Noel i
Christina
When I first began reading this, I found Dane’s voice to be so endearing that my hopes were rather high that this would be a great read, but it just kept disappointing me.

Dane’s looking for the right man who will look past his brawn and “take care of him”. He wants love and a real relationship, not just a series of anonymous romps in back alleys. He thinks he’s found his perfect man in Noel. People often take advantage of Dane because they see a big guy who’s a little slow and they figure that t
Kassa
At first glance, it would be rather easy to pass this off as a bad book. Without a doubt, The Janitor is not a stellar piece of quality fiction. However, the plot and characters ideas are intriguing and could have been crafted in such a way to deliver a complex and emotional journey as these two men find love. Yet the author commits several glaring and amateurish mistakes, which turn this novel from something with potential to an exaggerated stereotype, filled with homophobic dialogue and one-di ...more
Kazza
What a great read. I really did love this book for a number of reasons.

Dane Connelly is without doubt one of the sweetest, most innocent characters I've encountered in a long time and Noel Atherton was interesting and the perfect man for him. They needed each other and they found each other, which was lovely. The supporting characters were terrific too - Mr Trent, Gilbert, Charlie and the various boxers at the gym. On the other hand Noel's father was heinous, as were those he manipulated to hur
Alex
Dane put his hands on his jeans and then hesitated.

“If I take off my pants for you, it means I love you a little, okay?”

Noel swallowed. “Love?”

“Yeah, see, I promised myself a long time ago I wouldn't screw anyone without caring about them, even a little, so I always find some kind of…love inside me before I take off my pants.”

“So I'm no different from those other men?”

“No, you are. I'm just telling you that if I show you my parts, it's because I love you…as long as that's okay with you? I wo
From the cover I went in expecting a boxer type who was kinda blue collar and rough around the edges. Yeah, and maybe a little dirty. heh. I can see what the author was trying to accomplish, but there is a difference between a character who is a little dim, to someone who needs a caregiver. The elements needed to make good D/s pairing were not apparent, the plot required a great deal of suspention of disbelief and I’m afraid I found this a difficult read to finish. Nice cover though!

vLadimiR

All Dane Connelly wants is to be a great boxer and find the love of his life. It seems he finally got an answer to one of his prayers the day he met Noel Atherton at the University library where Dane works as a janitor. The attraction was instantaneous and beneficial for the two because Dane brings out the protective side of Noel while Noel answer's Dane's unspoken need of being valued. Problem is, Noel's father doesn't approve of their relationship and will stop at nothing to keep them apart.

I
Trix
Nov 07, 2011 Trix rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alyosha,Nemesis,Snowtulip
I was very impressed with this story. And while it contained enough sad moments to not re-read it any time soon, it was also beautiful, heart-wrenching and touching. It reminded me a bit of Tim.

The only small things that bothered me were that there was no clear delineation of the passage of time and the sad story of Arthur's past. (view spoiler)
Jaeson
I found Dane a sweet and innocent character despite his mental limitations. Noel was a perfect match for him with his intelligence and determination to help Dane achieve what his goals are. Very likeable heros with a sexy and sweet plot. I loved it!
Ryan
What a fabulous opposites attract story. Dane is a gentle giant that stole his way into my heart. Loved it.
Awilk -never sleeps-
4.5 Absolutely,sensational stars

The Janitor is an opposites attract love story that had me putting real life on hold while I read.

Dane, the janitor at a university, is a big guy with a heart of gold. He just wanted someone to see past his size, and lack of education and love him. He was a little simple, with a child-like quality, and I loved him.

I like nice people. Sometimes people who read a lot, and you know, have money and stuff, don;t think too much of me. Just the muscle.

I'm a big guy, but
Elisa Rolle
I have some stories that are swirling in my mind that probably I will never fix, and so I was really happy to find this book, that in a way matches with an idea I had: a love story between an apparently "perfect" man, cultured and sophisticated and a "simple" boy, someone who has a special look on life, and a world all of his own in his mind.

Dane is a part time janitor in a private college and a semi-professional boxer. He is a little "slow", he was always like that and people never tried to see
Pauline Allan
Okay, I have to wipe through the emotional tears so that I can write this review. WOW! I bought this book as a suggestion from Rob who put it on his reading list. I read the synopsis and thought...let's give it a whirl. I was so enthralled that I purchased The Boxer which is the follow-up novella. Ms. Irving has a magical way of using dialogue to pull the reader through the emotional depths of her characters. Dane is one of the sweetest, honest, most adorable characters I've read. His naive natu ...more
Ayanna
The cover kind of annoyed me at first, but it's only briefly. It's gorgeous and full of raw intensity. It's quite cool, actually.

There is a lot of emphasis on relative positions. (The whole top/bottom thing.) Was kind of overdone, actually. It's quite awkwardly obvious. Which is awkward.

But oh, man. Totally sucked in. Dane. Dane, you woobie, you. I don't know to laugh or cry, man. You make me feel too many feelz for me to even tell anymore.

It starts devolving into a sexplosion...
O_o and then Dan
Purplegirl
I just loved this book! Dane was so sweet and I just wanted to grab him up. It may be one of the most touching books I have ever read.
Adriana
This book is hard to rate, some things I really like and others were so bad they made me laugh.
Anna
DNF. I couldn't, not in good continence! I generally like this author. I read Wylde, The Summer Gardener is a favorite. I tried, I did really, but I just couldn't! This is only the 2nd or 3rd time I've done this.
Scarlett
When I first starting reading this, I began to get slightly concerned as to how the story would go. The interaction between Dane and Noel, and Dane's earnest determination worried me, because I could see how things might have gone. Yet, the more I read, the more I realised that my concerns had been for naught. (view spoiler) ...more
UrbanFirefly
Suziq
I love, love, love Muscling Through by J.L. Merrow, a story about a simple man, with an artists heart, who finds love with a scholarly man his total opposite. I absolutely did not love The Janitor, a story about a simple man, with an artists heart, who finds love with a scholarly man his total opposite. While one was full of sweetness and a lightness of touch, the other was borderline offensive. My advice? Read one skip the other!
Cait Miller
I enjoyed the story though the character of Dane was sometimes a little too childlike. The relationship between them started well but the shift into a full on lust-fest with BDSM elements was a bit too abrupt for me and I was turned off by the use of the term 'Daddy'. Never have liked it used in romances but that's a personal preference I suppose. Overall I liked it, it has a good subplot and had some very sweet moments between the heroes that kept me reading on. I bought the second story and am ...more
Julia
Good, but maybe not great? While I found Dane and Noel sweet and likable, they never got past one-dimensional for me. Well, there were a couple scenes that struck me and sucked me in, but over all it didn't quite get me there. It put me in mind of Rocky (in a good way, the very first one, which I actually liked) with a m/m twist. There are other elements that were surprising and welcome, so in the end, I'd say I liked it and there was enough there for me to give this author another shot and read ...more
Ashley♥Alexis
Dane was so precious. He reminded me of Kaleb from Shades of Gray. I really liked this story although I felt like the confrontation with Noel's dad was a little too calm. I felt like something more drastic should have happened to him. Maybe lose his comfy lifestyle or something. Over all, i enjoyed the read and will read the next one.
Lara
Quite different from what the cover might suggest...

In the beginning of the book I was really startled by Dane: he was, after all, pretty much the opposite of what I though he'd be, but at the same time I liked him even more for that! His sweetness and candour really endeared him to me...but the more the book progressed the more I found these traits were exagerated so much so to became almost a joke and I didn't like that!

Logan
This book could have been so much better. I wanted to love the characters....but.....they fell short. They were under developed. I felt as though entire chapters must be missing that would have explained how the personalities of each came about. The story is compelling and I would love to read the next one.....but...not sure this one is worth my so very tight kindle budget. Nice try but didn't quite get there.
Gina
It was a 5-star story until it lost it's wits. Seriously, if it were not for Dane, I would have given up on half way. The plot around Noel's father is so lame and how they acted after the other boxer revealed things is just absurd. So many things about this story is absurd.

It would have been a great story.. So much promise and potentials in the beginning. Actually I'm a bit sad about how it laid out.
Cherie Noel
Geez! "Jan Irving" ought to be enough said...but in case you've missed out, she is brilliant. Any book of hers is easily worth twice what you'll pay for it,and this one is no exception. I love the characters, love the storyline...love the clever use of words that so exquisitely render every line and curve, every twist and turn of Noel and Dane's beautiful and moving story.
Hitsuki
I loved the plot and everything about the book, but for some reason I had trouble reading it. The only problem - and it was a huge problem for me - was that Dane sounded so much like Lennie from Of Mice and Men that it drove me nuts. I wish I had read this before I read Of Mice and Men, then I would've enjoyed it so much.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Here I just could not get into the main characters voice. It so grated on me that it was a book I could not finish. The concept seemed good but I couldn't get past the way he talked and acted which left me with the feeling he had major mental deficiencies and detracted from any enjoyment of the story.
  • Puppy Love (Puppy Love, #1)
  • Kissed by Death (Kissed by an Immortal, #1)
  • Catalyst
  • Angel and the Assassin (Angel and the Assassin, #1)
  • A Perfect Game
  • Forged (Hammer, #8)
  • By His Rules
  • Bound and Determined
  • Achilles and the Houseboy (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #3)
  • Personal Demons (Gods and Chaos, #3)
  • Tough Love (Special Delivery, #3)
  • Forgotten Song
  • Left of Centre
  • Match Maker
  • Straight Shooter (Rear Entrance Video, #3)

romance author
Jan Irving has worked in all kinds of creative fields, from painting silk to making porcelain ceramics, to interior design, but writing was always her passion.

She feels you can’t fully understand characters until you follow their journey through a story world.
More about Jan Irving...

The Contenders (2 books)
  • The Boxer (The Contenders, #2)
Luke (Sylvan, #2) The Hired Man Straight Cowboy (Uncommon Cowboys, #1) Shifter Cowboy (Uncommon Cowboys #2) The Pleasure Slave