Start by marking “Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, Book 2)” as Want to Read:
Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, Book 2)

Knight of Darkness (Lords of Avalon #2)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  5,253 ratings  ·  104 reviews
For centuries Varian du Fey has been the assassin for the infamous Merlin. However, because of his heritage, Varian has never been truly accepted as one of the Knights of Avalon. Lancelot may have been his father, but is mother is one of Morgen le Fey's closest allies.
Published April 3rd 2008 by Piatkus (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Knight of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight of Darkness

valee
This installment wasn't as good as the first one for sure. What I loved the most about the first one was the amazing plot, the great main characters as well as the secondary, and their personalities. You had a very brave and strong warrior who was supposed to be the most evil creature but once he met his heroine he just simply loved her and was able to change. I know it may sound corny but it really wasn't because it was amazingly written.

But this story was cheesy. It was like reading a mix with
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Gina
Absolutely loved it! To quote again: Unputdownable! In the first chapter, I was instantly hooked, and I had a damn hard time trying to put this book down! The characters have distinct personalities, especially Varian, and I loved the banter between characters. I loved his 'take shit from no one' attitude, it suited him well. And the way he instigates... this book makes you laugh while holding your breath to see what happens next. And darn it, after checking out her website, I didn't realize that ...more
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
I have to laugh... Even on the first page, there was a total flub, although FUNNY AS HELL!

In a historical romance, I never imagined one of the charaters would say "No Shit, Sherlock!" That would be a "Duh" comment geared towards someone stating the obvious deduction with sarcasm toward their brilliance noting the Sherlock Holmes Jab. Not some King Arthur character?? I loved it, though, and it started the book off great for me!

Just another peaceful quick romance fix to fill time. Worth the minu
Shadowstorm Norwicca
Where do I start? The Lords of Avalon series I would have to say is the best spin on Arthurian myth thus fair. This book brought so many emotions. I wanted to cry, I was laughing, and just gripping the book with angry. Varian DuFey son of Sir Lancelot and the Adoni Narishka right hand women to the Morgen Le Fey (all around evil bad ass). He has been through hell and back with his upbringing and being a Knight of Roundtable. He walks on the edge of the light and the darkness. Then comes a women w ...more
Elii Vela
Me encantó de principio a fin, sobe todo por la aparición de Blaise de nuevo y cómo no, de la rocágula, amé a esa cosita.

La relación entre Varian y Merewyn fue de lo más curiosa y aunque un poco ñoña, terminó gustándome.

Aunque el libro se puede leer de manera completamente independiente del anterior y de hecho, lo último que sucede en aquél, no tiene nada que ver con lo que pasa aquí, en Knight of Darkness sucede cierta cosa cerca del final (un alguien), que jamás se explica después y la verda
Jacqueline
Aug 19, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves a TRULY unique plot
Recommended to Jacqueline by: No one; discovered Sherri on my own
Julie
Arthurian legend, magic and romance - all stuff I like and brought together in a readable way. The book is second in a series. I read this one first, but book #1 is much better. The explanation of the world/setting is not very clear. I was left wondering about the knights' use of modern slang and the constant Monty Python references until a good way into the book. (The first book of the series eases the reader into the world in a much more absorbable manner.) The Monty Python and the Holy Grail ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
I really, really, really liked this! In fact, I liked it more than the first one in the series. It had me laughing so hard in some parts...like when Merewyn fell into the pit of despair and was sooo woeful and complaining, or when Blaise was quoting Monty Python's Holy Grail (and he's a Holy Grail Knight who can time travel and that's how he knows Monty Python). There's a good moral lesson in this - to look past the appearance and into the heart of a person to judge them and love them.

I look for
Katelyn Esse Quam Videri
One word: hilarious! I absolutely loved this book! It started on the very first page with an assasin of Merlin's (the new Merlin) biting wit and sarcasm.

"There is a traitor amoung us"..."No shit, Sherlock. There is always a traitor among us."

Okay, so I should probably start with what this story is about. This story is about what truly happened to Camelot and how the struggle between good and evil continues to this day. Merlin is not the crusty old man we remember advising Arthur and Camelot is
Mary
Tatiana
Me encantó este libro!!! He de decir que no sabía que esperar de los Señores de Avalon, pero la Sherry-Kinley siempre me sorprende, en el buen sentido de la palabra.
Ha creado personajes fantásticos y un argumento que te engancha de principio a fin. Varian todo un caballero que se ha logrado enfrentar a los dos lados de su naturaleza y ha encontrado el equilibrio, me encantaba las bromas y los dialogos con Blaise; la mandragora Blaise es genial, super amena y graciosa. Merewyn la protagonista no
Denise
I liked the first book better. She took liberties in using 20th century slang in this book but never really told us why. If I hadn't read the first book I wouldn't have known that they can time travel although they didn't do any in this book. I thought it was lazy of her to use so much slang and not stick with the 'talk' of the times the stroy was set in. These books are an intersting take on the Kinght's of the Round Table, Avalon, and King Authur.
Mara
The mix of pseudo-arturian lore, chick-lit cheesyness and pnr wasn't to my tastes. The resulting dish wasn't sure what it wanted to be.

There's nothing of the bad-ass antihero the blurb promised. The plot was weak (as it lacked the foundation on which to be build, namely a story. There were only glimpses of it.)

I can't even say it was steamy < grin >. And I agree the never-ending quotes were annoying.
ErinReadsTooMuch
This was an author of the month reading challenge, and I found a new author I love!! This book was great! The characters were likable, the banter was witty, it was a nice mix of modern/historical/fantasy/romance. How could you not like that? What really sold me was the Monty Python references and quotes in a Camelot/Avalon setting. Awesome. I am definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series!!
Denni
Although I enjoy some of this authors other work, this is my first and probably last Lords of Avalon. Author introduces some fun characters, but they don't develope well. Characters not very likable, plot is shallow, Monty Python & Spamalot references are tedious. More a spoof than real novel. About half of this book is all I'm going to be able to tolerate.
MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-»
I am in love with Varian. This book was so far my favourite! I loved the story, the characters and the ending! Everything about it was fun and exciting to read. It was very sweet story with a lot of love between Varian and Mewryn! Can't wait to read the next book! ;)
A-Hersia A
Great book. This is Varian's and Merewyn's story. Varian is the son of Lancelot and Narishka (an Adoni) and Merewyn is a human princess who wanted to escape from marriage to an old kind man. One night she made a bargain with an Adoni and that Adoni was Varian's mother, Narishka. She is evil and right hand to Morgen. Let's just say Merewyn was trapped with Narishka for centuries but when Varian and Merewyn met, their story became full of awesomeness. We get to meet Emrys, Nimue, the valley where ...more
Not really sure what I feel about this story.

I like it, but I didn't feel it was as good as the first book.

It was really the plot I had a problem with; it built to a pretty lame and rushed ending to be honest. I think the ending could have been flushed out a bit more and better explained.

And, I don't think the story matched the description on the back of the book. I really didn't feel that animosity between Varian and Merewyn throughout the book that the description seemed to hint at. Sure, Var
Pixelinchen
Lenz
This second installment of Lords Of Avalon truly is amazing. Very well written. Varian is a GREAT hero! I love him. Deeeeep. Scarred. Cold. Definitely evil. But then Merewyn happens and all seemed to click. Love the plot. Beauty and the Beast themed in a twisted way. Characters are sooo lovable. Lines are sarcastically written. Page-effin-page-turner. XD XDD

I find the whole premise of the series truly engaging. Looking forward to more of these Arthurian Legend. XDD

PS. Love love love BLAISE since
Shell
I love Sherrilyn Kenyon (aka Kinley MacGregor) and was excited to read this novel. Honestly I didn't love it as much as I did the first one in the series. Overall the story was good, but it had a few holes in it for me. I couldln't get why Blaise went back to Avalon. Yes I know it had the whole double agent thing going, but it just felt WRONG somehow. The ending felt rushed as well. The story built and built and built, and then BAM the ending was in a few pages. There should have been something. ...more
Mary E. Evans
History, action, adventure and romance

I have never read any of sherrilyn's books under her pseudonym. I wasn't sure what to expect. I loved every minute of the book. it was easy to follow and understand, as I'm unfamiliar with king Arthur and the folklore of that time. it was full of adventure. there was a well written plot and deep character connection. the development between the characters kept me interested and the romance was believable. it was a walk through the adventures of knights and f
Kemberlee
I'm using the base of my review from book #1, as book #2 is pretty much the same theme...

Interesting. Not interesting, as in fascinating. Interesting, as in whatever! This series tells the tale post-Arthurian legend and combines races of being Kenyon often uses in her Dark Hunter series. There's a hint of time travel in order to justify the use of modern phrases in medieval times. Kenyon's stories are mostly paranormal so time travel should be expected to a degree, but I felt this book would hav
Meaghan
didnt realize that kinley macgregor and sherrilyn kenyon were the same person. the writing styles of the "two" authors are similar but the characters in this series are from a whole different world. it took me a little bit to catch the overarching plot of the series (i read this one out of order) but that didnt distract from my enjoyment of the main plot of this book and the love story/action/adventure/magic it contains.
Marriam Butt
loved the book, would have liked a little more from the heroine's past as a princess but that's just me
the end was a little abrupt and didn't show a lot of foresight in it can't wait for another book in this series
Maura
I agree with other reviewers about the rushed ending. It seemed to tie everything up VERY quickly in about 2 chapters. Otherwise a mediocre entertaining read that peeved me a bit with constant modern day slang, references and quotes that really did nothing to further the story line. Really - the fact that these guys can travel through time does nothing for this particular story... no need to dwell on it.

Also - very grossed out by the first kiss. Heroine runs off to puke and hero holds her hair.
Dhfan4life
This one read a little better than Sword of Darkness. And yet, it was really strange how vain the characters read at times too. All the same though, I appreciated it being part of the series to explain things a lot better than Sword did.
Shannon
Sherrilyn Kenyon...I mean Kinley MacGregor...is one of my favorite authors and she doesn't disappoint with this series. As we experience the Knights fighting evil while finding their better halves, I only wonder what adventure lies in store once they have all gathered. Kinley does an amazing job of painting the picture of Camelot, Avalon, and Glastonbury, as we have never imagined them before. The knights and their ladies are well thought out characters, each with his/her own fascinating story a ...more
Jilly
These stories always seem so generic. Heroine needs a man to save her… plus she’s a bloody virgin… and she ends up falling in love with the hero who doesn’t see himself as a hero but really is. Yeah… way too much yuck on it.

It was mindless which I why I read it over the weekend. Needed something purely fanciful and this fit the bill. Now, don’t get me wrong. I’ve liked other Kinley MacGregor books (or Sherriyln Kenyon which is her other pen name) but this one just wasn’t that good and had a few
  • Phantom in the Night (B.A.D. Agency, #2)
Sword of Darkness (Lords of Avalon, #1) Born in Sin (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #3) Master of Desire (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #1) Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #4) Claiming the Highlander (Brotherhood/MacAllister, #2)

“One day your prince will come. Mine took a wrong turn, got lost, and is too stubborn to ask for directions.” 89 likes
“See!” she snapped at him. “You men are all brutish. You force your strength and will on us as if we matter for naught and then you wonder why we don’tlike ”—she spat the word at him—“you. Really? Is it any wonder? Why would any woman want to subject herself to the male ego? Why?”

She looked down at his body as a sudden heat came into her gaze that made him instantly nervous. “Sure, you’re a handsome beastie with kissable lips when they’re not bleeding. You’re fair in form with big, bulging—” He actually cringed in fear of the word “cock” coming out of her mouth again, but luckily she averted her thoughts as her gaze met his.

For the first time the despair left her voice. “Your eyes are so beautiful.” She ran one finger over his brow, making him instantly hard for her. “Did you know that?” Then the gloomy tone returned as she dropped her hand from his face. “Of course you do. You’re a worthless man. Just like all the others.”

“Yeah,” Blaise teased. “You’re worthless, Varian. And what on him bulges again, Merewyn?”

Varian glared at the mandrake, who merely continued to laugh at him.

“Everything. His arms, his legs, his—”

“Enough, Merewyn,” Varian said from between clenched teeth.

“Well, you do bulge. I’ve seen it.”

“We’ve all seen it,” Merrick said, his voice filled with humor, “And it’s sickening.”

Varian glared at the triplets, especially the ferret, who was laughing and rolling around his brother’s neck. “When she is over this, I’m going to kill all of you.”

Merewyn let out a long-suffering sigh. “Of course you will. That’s what men do. They destroy everything. Everything. Because you’re all worthless whoremongers.”

Varian winced at her choice of words.

“Whoremongers?” Blaise repeated with a laugh.

“Yes. You all go out with your giant lances, spearing anything you can find. Nailing your targets against trees and walls, while you gallop from field to field, bragging over your conquests, uncaring of who you’ve hurt while you quest for more glory.”

“Good gods,” Merrick said, his face horrified. “Is she speaking of what I think she is?”

“Do you mean warmongers?” Varian asked her.

“No! Whoremongers. All of you.” She looked over at the triplets.

“Especially them.”