Start by marking “Worst Case (Michael Bennett, #3)” as Want to Read:
Worst Case (Michael Bennett, #3)

Worst Case (Michael Bennett #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  17,944 Ratings  ·  1,136 Reviews
Best case: survival

The son of one of New York's wealthiest families is snatched off the street and held hostage. His parents can't save him, because this kidnapper isn't demanding money. Instead, he quizzes his prisoner on the price others pay for his life of luxury. In this exam, wrong answers are fatal.

Worst case: death

Detective Michael Bennett leads the investigation. W
Published February 1st 2010 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Worst Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worst Case

Serena
Jul 06, 2010 Serena rated it really liked it
Worst Case by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge is the third book in the Michael Bennett detective series. Readers will not have to read the other two books in the series to follow along as this New York Detective takes on a child kidnapper with a social agenda. Bennett is a single father with 10 children -- not all of them biological -- whose holy grandfather Seamus and nanny Mary Catherine make his life a little less hectic and in some cases even more so.

Bennett must not only balance his fa
Tyler Desharnais
Oct 30, 2013 Tyler Desharnais rated it it was amazing
Worst Case written by James Patterson is based in various places through out New York. Detective Bennett, a loving father with 10 adopted children with a deceased wife along with Emily Parker, the FBI agent out of Washington just getting out of a marriage are puzzled to see New York's wealthiest peoples children being abducted by a man who then gives the children a test to see if they live or die, they pass, they live. But if they fail, they pay the ultimate price, their lives.
This book is writ
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it really liked it
I have read all of James Patterson’s books and to be frank they can be hit and miss. Sometimes he can produce fantastic stories but in recent years it seems like he churns out so many books that sometimes the story doesn’t have the author’s whole focus. The Michael Bennett series is co-written with Michael Lewidge.

This particular book I really enjoyed. I have also read the two previous Michael Bennett novels so I already had some background on the characters which always helps. The second book i
Dominique
Mar 09, 2010 Dominique rated it it was amazing
James Patterson is one of my favorite authors, particularly when it comes to mystery & crime books. I am somewhat opposed to the whole "co-writing with other authors". I decided to research the reason for "co-writing" - I found this:

"In September 2009, Patterson signed a book deal to write or co-write 11 books for adults and six for young adults by the end of 2012. Forbes reported the deal was worth at least $150 million..."
(http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/ne...)

The reason I am not a big
Jinky
(3.5)
I will have to review this book as a stand alone since I have not read the first two in the series. In my defense, there was nothing in the case of this audio indicating that this was an installment (the only reason I found out was when I plugged it in at Goodreads as read). But now I finally figured out that Mr. Patterson is notorious for series so I'll have to keep that in mind when I come across his books. Though, that probably won't stop me from reading his books out of order. :)

This Mi
Traci Haley
Mar 16, 2010 Traci Haley rated it really liked it
I am slightly embarrassed to admit every time I read a James Patterson novel. I don't have any delusions that he's that great of a writer... or, for that matter, that he's even writing this stuff anymore. In fact, when I say I'm a fan of Patterson's Michael Bennett series, I should just edit that to say I"m a fan of Michael Ledwidge's writing. In any case, while most people probably count Alex Cross as their favorite Patterson-created character, I love Michael Bennett. I love his family, his ...more
Cindy
Nov 15, 2010 Cindy rated it did not like it
The only good thing about this book is the font size.
Thomas Edmund
Apr 02, 2010 Thomas Edmund rated it it was ok
Patterson's and Ledwidge's Worst Case tells a tale of Michael Bennett, a veteran cop, as he pursues a serial kidnapper/murderer who targets the children of the super-rich.

And to be perfectly honest I the best way to describe Worst Case: Along Came a Spider, without the good bits. The plotline of Worst Case is effectively a string of kidnappings which all follow the same format. 1. Child disapears 2. Phone call 3. Find child dead.

There are the occasional deviations but nothing to get excited abou
Ty Desharnais
Oct 11, 2015 Ty Desharnais rated it it was amazing
Patterson's Worst Case entranced me with its twisted attitude and unique writing style. This book shows us insight on Patterson's description of characters, the newest killer lurking the streets of New York and, of course, the interesting yet wonderful Michael Bennett.
Patterson has done it again with what I like to call his "one page chapters." Patterson has always had this unique way of making those reading his novels feel quite achomplished while reading his books which I myself, personally en
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Aug 31, 2014 Charlotte (Buried in Books) rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
Claire
Apr 04, 2013 Claire rated it it was amazing
This was the first book in the Bennett series that I've read, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the rest in the series.
Patricia
Apr 01, 2015 Patricia rated it liked it
It is not my favorite book in the Michael Bennett series, but I am glad that I read it. I still like Michael Bennett and will read the two books left in the series that I have not read.
Tim
Dec 15, 2014 Tim rated it it was ok
I relistened to this novel and liked it much better the second time than the first. 5 of 10 stars
Barb
Oct 08, 2016 Barb rated it really liked it
One by one, children of New York's wealthiest are taken hostage. But the criminal doesn't crave money or power—he only wants to ask the elite if they know the price others pay for their luxurious lifestyles. And, if they don't, he corrects their ignorance—by killing them.
To Detective Michael Bennett, it becomes clear that these murders are linked and must be part of a greater, more public demonstration. With the city thrown into chaos, he is forced to team up with FBI agent Emily Parker, and the
Alayne Bushey
Mar 06, 2010 Alayne Bushey rated it it was ok
This is the third novel by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge involving NYPD Detective Michael Bennett. Bennett is a single father, with ten adopted children, an attractive live-in nanny, an abrasive humorous Irish priest for a grandfather, and a cat. He's got his hands full, to say the least. So when a killer with a pseudo-enviornmental/societal message starts kidnapping the children of uber-wealthy men and women in New York, and FBI Special Agent-with-a-great-figure Emily Parker flies into ...more
Mallory
Apr 19, 2011 Mallory rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: My mom- though she's probably read it
Recommended to Mallory by: Grama and Grampa Castaldo
I think that if I did not promise the grandparents I would read this I would not. I groan at the other three they handed me. When it comes to book recommendations I will have to stop being polite.

(SPOILER ALERT)

The book went something like:

Open with how the killer snaps. Aw- look he was human once too. He wanted to balance the world with love- on the streets of NYC. Look at the evils of society he will try to balance with blood.

Rich kid kidnapped.

Call cops. Get quirky Bennett with 10 kids. H
Don M.
Jan 27, 2015 Don M. rated it liked it
This book has an interesting perspective on things. The villain kidnaps teenage children from wealthy parents and gives them an exam to see if they are worthy of their station in life. As the cover says, if you fail the test - you die. It's a logical follow-up to the second book in the series "Run for Your Life" where adults are punished for being ill-mannered and inconsiderate of others (Sometimes it isn't hard to understand how this guys feels about the way people behave).

I enjoyed the crime s
Schnaucl
It was an okay book. I think I probably would have appreciated some of the overall story arc progression more if I'd read the other books, but it's not necessary for the central mystery.

I thought the reason the victims were chosen was rather clever and it wasn't something I figured out for myself so that's always a plus.

I'm always a little nervous when the villain of the piece is a left wing extremest but I think this worked. Mostly. (view spoiler)
Lee Kyle
Jan 17, 2012 Lee Kyle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: For anyone who has read the other book in this cool lil series.
Recommended to Lee by: Kitchener library
I gave all the Patterson books i have read 5 stars as they were all worth that much. Worst Case i found the storyline to be so so. Being a huge fan of the show Criminal Minds is probably why i like the Michael Bennett series so much and that being said their was a few Criminal Minds episodes that were so so too so thats ok. In Worst Case we once again find super detective Michael Bennett still doing his bet to be super dad to his 10 adopted children now that he is a widower and still maintain ...more
CorLostForWords
Mar 30, 2010 CorLostForWords rated it really liked it
This is yet another solid book from author James Patterson. I like his Michael Bennett series as much as, if not more than his Alex Cross series. It was riveting, fast-paced, and engaging. The only thing that seemed to make it less than perfect is the fact that the police officers (and FBI agent) only "screamed, cried, or yelled". They didn't seem to do anything else. I found that to be quite annoying. Other than that it was a good read, and one I would definitely tell Patterson fans to pick up. ...more
John
A vast improvement over the second book in the series, which itself was a vast improvement over the first one. WORST CASE features one of Patterson's most interesting villains, and it also marks the first time I've ever found myself taking an interest in Michael Bennett's personal life. The writing is a little better than what I've generally come to expect from Patterson books, and there are even one or two nice surprises. On the negative side, though, Michael Bennett's efforts contribute very ...more
Sandy (WI girl at heart)
Finished James Patterson's book 'Worst Case'. Now onto another one of his books.

It was a typical Patterson book in detail and interest for the reader. Although you knew all a long what was going to happen as end result it was still a good read.

It's good to see a character develop, where you can see the whole picture of that character. The detective in the novel is one Patterson used in his writing before. He really gets the reader involved in both this detective's work as well has his mixed up
Mary P.
Mar 01, 2015 Mary P. rated it it was amazing
When I need a good read for a snow day, I generally reach for James Patterson, David Baldacci,or Les Roberts because they never disappoint.

Worst Case by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge is the third book in the Michael Bennett detective series. I didn't know that when I picked it up. However, readers will not have to read the other two books in the series to follow along as this New York Detective takes on a child kidnapper with a social agenda. Bennett is a single father with 10 children --
Natalee
Third Michael Bennett book in the series. The father of ten returns in this installment to try and catch a child killer. The children of the rich and famous are being kidnapped and murdered and its up to Michael and his FBI partner Emily to catch him. They have no idea why they are being killed or even chosen as the killer doesnt request a ransom.
A good Patterson, I always enjoy the writing style and short chapters. It's a quick read. My mind did start wondering off towards the end of the book b
Lisa
Jun 19, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok
I'm torn on how to rate this. It was, like all of Patterson's books, easy, fast, and somewhat entertaining. There was not a thing about it that didn't feel like the info had been plugged into a formula. In fact, after realizing that it was written with a co-author (Michael Ledwidge, whose name didn't even make it onto the spine of the coverless hardback a friend gave me) I pretty much feel like I read a book manufactured on an assembly line. It served every purpose I think Patterson purports for ...more
Karen Phillips
Jan 25, 2014 Karen Phillips rated it really liked it
Patterson once again held my interest in this tale of a disturbed and disturbing character who seeks to right the injustice in the world with violent means he believes justified. Michael Bennettt teams with FBI agent Emily Parker to solve the kidnappings & murders before any more young lives can be snuffed out. I also enjoyed the romantic tension between Bennett and Parker, as well as Bennett and nanny Mary Katherine. Worst Case was a satisfying read.
Brian Bova
Good book. I've come to realize that Patterson's books are all quick reads. Be it the way his books are laid out or if they're really so good that you can zip right through them. 3 stars on this one as I thought the storyline could have been a bit better thought out. A+++
Linda
Nov 04, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-2010
Patterson is the Best,grabs you in and doesn't let you go until its done
Lynda Kelly
Nov 14, 2016 Lynda Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Another enjoyable read courtesy of James Patterson. I read a lot of negativity on Goodreads and Amazon about him using ghost writers, blah, blah, blah, but to be brutally honest I couldn't give a toss. I enjoy them and in fairness, that is between him and somebody else if it's the case and really nobody else's business !!
I'm late reaching this instalment of Michael Bennett stories as I wait till prices drop but the series is as good as it always has been. It was nice to catch up with him and his
Skeetor
Nov 29, 2016 Skeetor rated it really liked it
I listened to this book and it is the third in the "Michael Bennett" series. This was the first book I have read in the series and loved it. It was a good thriller/detective with a little humor mixed in. I will definitely look for the other books in this series.
  • The Day America Told the Truth
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
  • Bermuda Shorts
  • And Then There Was One
  • Whistleblower
  • Guys Read: Boys Will Be Boys
  • First Family (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #4)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Michael Bennett (9 books)
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • Run for Your Life (Michael Bennett, #2)
  • Tick Tock (Michael Bennett, #4)
  • I, Michael Bennett (Michael Bennett, #5)
  • Gone (Michael Bennett, #6)
  • Burn (Michael Bennett, #7)
  • Alert (Michael Bennett, #8)
  • Bullseye (Michael Bennett, #9)

“squad. Guess whose weekend this was?” 0 likes