Start by marking “Mortal Friends” as Want to Read:
Mortal Friends

Mortal Friends

When the latest victim of the "Beltway Basher" is found in the woods of Montrose Park, Reven Lynch's favorite jogging spot, her crime-loving antenna goes up. The murder makes Reven and her best friend, Violet Bolton, reconsider their running route—but that's not the only change in Reven's routine. Her chic Georgetown neighborhood isn't accustomed to brutal slayings, and ...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Harper (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Friends

Diane
Aug 18, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Jane Stanton Hitchcock's newest novel Mortal Friends is a seductive mystery set in Georgetown, where the real Washington DC power lies.

When the Beltway Basher's latest victim is found in a nearby park, best friends society matron Violet and antique shop owner Reven get involved in the crime. Violet is obsessed with true life crime stories, and Reven becomes entangled when a police detective asks her for help in solving the case.

Hitchcock expertly draws the reader into this story and the world of

Gail
Mar 23, 2010 Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Reven Lynch is the sophisticated owner of an antiques business in Georgetown; she travels with the social elite of Washington DC. This 40+ witty, beautiful woman's best friend and former classmate is Violet who is married to one of the monied powerful of D.C. Violet is obsessed with crime and serial killers while Reven struggles to find a good man and keep her business solvent.

A new philanthropic woman comes on the scene and sets her talons into men, money, fame, and infamy. At the same time, a
Apr 06, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
I love Jane Stanton Hitchcock! Her psychological thrillers for the Dior wearing set are terrific. Loved (and feared) Social Crimes and Mortal Friends was just as good. I'm now going to read the submissions toClass Notes from my girls boarding school with greater care.
Sara
Jul 25, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
A murder mystery set in the political and social world of Washington D.C. has the potential to be incredibly intriguing, full of layers, and just plain suspenseful. Yet this book wasn't. It was a decent enough mystery, but the mystery portion was not the main focus of this book, being sidelined by the soap opera-y life of the main character, Reven, and it was, overall, just okay.

Reven is on the fringes of D.C.'s social circles, being invited to attend events with her best friend and her husband.
Maureen
Fun, Exciting Story

Washington DC isn't your standard setting for a society novel/mystery. This one is engaging, well-crafted and lively. Most of the main characters come to life easily and realistically, except Grant Bolton. I appreciate the first person main character Reven's honest voice and droll humor. She's loyal, loving, fun, sophisticated and down to earth. Her flaws are realistic and recognizable.

Reven and best friend Violet have an enduring relationships that is believable and complex,
Wendy Hines
Jan 16, 2012 Wendy Hines rated it liked it
Reven Lynch is a middle-aged divorcee living in Washington D.C. running a small antique shop. When the latest victim of the "Beltway Basher" is found in the park where Reven and best friend Victoria jog, she thinks they may need adjust their route.

Victoria is the wife of prominent banker Grant Bolton. They rub elbows with many ambassadors, senators, and other members of high society. When they can, they include Reven in their plans.

When Detective Gunner approaches Reven in her shop with questi
Linda
Nov 01, 2013 Linda rated it liked it

The murder story involving several female victims, is secondary and moves to the background. The main story is about 2 friends Reven Lynch and Violet Bolton who like to socialize with the Washington elite and enjoy gossiping about the scandals and intrigues behind the scenes, where nothing is as it appears to be. Many of these characters lead a shallow life and spend their days going to parties and dinners attended by politicians and their entourage.
Reven, an interior decorator and shop owner, c
Nathalie S
Jul 22, 2012 Nathalie S rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed reading books set in the governmental/political arenas mostly because they confirm what I suspect about the game of politics. A lot of it is really a game--not much different than games played in the high school government arenas! I am fascinated by it the way I am fascinated by snakes and other scary creatures. I would never touch one but they are still interesting to look at and recoil from. LOL! "Mortal friends" was very interesting. When you think you've figured out what's ...more
Michelle
May 18, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
I had hoped this book would be an engrossing murder mystery sprinkled with some social satire and romance. It only achieved a "kind of" on most of those scores.

While the book opens with the latest in a series of murders, the focus of the novel really is the social scene of DC's elite, as seen through the eyes of hanger-on Reven. Reven may take exception to that classification, but it is what she is. She seems to get no joy from the social gatherings she attends; yet, she continues to go while u
Nancy
Nov 21, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Jane Stanton Hitchcock is very adept at placing her readers at the center table at a "society" gala. . . and, sometimes at a back table near the kitchen. I enjoy her snarky take on the politics of giving and her amusing behind the scenes look at how the 1% party.

This is the third of her books that I have gobbled up this year and, although enjoyable as an escapist read, it was more or less a traditional murder mystery. Her other novels were more high society roman a clef with a pinch of evil to s
Susan
Feb 07, 2013 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I looked for Hitchcock's books on the library shelves because Linda Fairstein mentioned her as a mentor and friend in her books, and I do like Linda Fairstein's mystery thrillers! At first I thought I was going to abandon this book as being shallow, but it got to be a fun mystery. It is nothing like Fairstein's, which are much more serious. Reven, the main character in Mortal Friends, owns an antique shop in Georgetown in D.C., attends a parties where she gets to rub elbows with the rich and ...more
Katie
Jul 21, 2009 Katie rated it liked it
'Mortal Friends' is a perfect summer/beach read. The characters and plot are interesting enough to keep you wondering what's next, while the story is light and entertaining enough to keep you from thinking too hard while soaking up the sun. Hitchcock presents us with not one but two 'who-done-it' plots set among the who's who in Washington D.C., and while I wasn't shocked by the ending, she did keep me guessing until the end. Definitely a fun read for your beachbag. Enjoy!

By the way... this is a
Susan
Nov 04, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Antique shop owner Reven Lynch is facing a future as a former golden girl who never reached her potential. Her best friend, Violet Bolton, who was a misfit at their boarding school, is now the wife of a prominent banker, and trying to fix Reven's life by arranging for her to date wheeler-dealer Bob Poll. Violet, who is fascinated by serial killers, also makes sure that Reven is up-to-date with news about the Beltway Basher, who targets young women with dark hair. But Reven is soon to find out ...more
Marni
Aug 18, 2009 Marni rated it liked it
I've read everything that Jane Stanton Hitchcok has written, and this book was the least satisfying. A quick read, and fairly engaging, but also a bit predictable and cetainly not as acidly humorous as Social Crimes or Trompe L'oil. It seems as if she is doing the same book again and again, and for me it is losing it's freshness.

Plus, I really did not like her heroine (the narrator) very much--and there was a big loose end at the end, so it felt a bit unresolved.

If this is your first JSH book, y
Glenn
Jul 17, 2009 Glenn rated it it was ok
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway. I thought there was too much of a "soap opera" element to this book, and not enough focus on the serial murders and trying to apprehend the person(s) responsible. For me at least, there were too many tangential aspects. Although there were some twists thrown in, as mystery writers often do, it was also pretty easy to figure out the culprit that was revealed at the end. The writing style was decent, just thought it was an average mystery that didn't have much ...more
Lisa
Jun 15, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book was delightfully bitchy. It's literary merit may be laughably minimal, but I couldn't put it down.

My edition of the book contained an interview with the author in which the interviewer asked what the author's hopes for the book were. The author replied that she hoped it would be a great beach read.

Well, mission accomplished. After a year, I won't even remember what happened in it. But damn, it was fun for a few days!

Added bonuses: 1) the book had a neat little insider's view of Washing
Kitty
Oct 25, 2009 Kitty rated it liked it
Best frinds Reven (never spelled backwards) and Violet are into the DC scene. They were roommates at boarding school and have reunited in Washington after losing touch for a number of years. A serial killer, the Beltway Basher, scores another one in their neighborhood. Violet loves following crime and Reven runs an antique store. A new face shows up on the social scene and Violet takes her under her wing. But the new would-be philanthropist is not what she seems. Pit viper might be a more apt ...more
Marianne Stehr
Jul 14, 2014 Marianne Stehr rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this part mystery, part gossip column. It reminded me of the Shopoholic books but the mystery part was there and very real. As an avid mystery/thriller reader I did not figure out who "did it" until it was revealed and the way it was written allowed you to jump back and forth between characters. There was a lot of intrigue in the socialite gossip as well and I felt that it was a different read but yet very engaging with interesting characters who were definitely flawed, but not so much ...more
Karla
Jul 27, 2012 Karla rated it really liked it
This was my first book by the author, but I enjoyed it. I'll admit that I enjoy reading about wealthy people and their ridiculous behavior. This book didn't disappoint. The protagonist, Reven, isn't in the same financial league as her best friend, but that doesn't prevent them from hanging out together and speculating if someone in their social circle is a serial killer. I'm happy that I didn't guess the identity of murderer until the end.
Klarinettegal
Jul 22, 2009 Klarinettegal rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Like I read in another review, the murder isn't exactly the entire focus of the book. It isn't being told from the point of view of the detective as Agatha Christie and other well known mystery writers often do, but I still really enjoyed it. It was easy to read and it kept my interest. I think the main character is likeable which I think is important because it helps to relate with the narrator. My mother-in-law has already asked to read it.
Chandra
Jan 22, 2013 Chandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this book as I got into it. I had to understand the social inner workings of the DC socialites. After reading a few chapters, I began to love the story. I kept guessing at who was killing these girls and was sure I had figured it out several times. But I was wrong every time. Reven was a great character. I loved the way she trusted every one as I often do. She was wrong too. A great mystery that keeps you guessing until the very end.
Leah (packfan20)
Oct 20, 2009 Leah (packfan20) rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2009
This book is much more about the elite society circles of Washington DC than about murder. I could not relate to any of the characters nor did I think that any of the relatioships were realistc (Reven/Violet, Reven/Gunner, Bob/Melody). The parts that were about the murder were so anti-climactic that I almost missed them. The book was basically about a bunch of rich elite that bounced from party to party and lied to everyone along the way.
Cheryl
Aug 06, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: first-reads
It did take me a little while to get into this book - the story didn't grab me fully right away. After reading a while that changed and I was fully engaged and couldn't put the book down. The ending was a little predictable but overall it was a fun book to read. I took this on a trip and was a wonderful book to read on the plane.
JK
Jul 14, 2011 JK rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, mystery
At first glance I thought this was going to be really good. I started reading expecting some suspense, some mystery, maybe a little intrigue, and a couple of dead bodies to keep it interesting. What I got was a slow starting book that didn't start to get interesting to me untill the last half of the book. In my opinion there was to much partying and not enough drama.
Barb
Aug 15, 2009 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, fiction
All right! Another win for me!

I found this book to be very engaging and readable. The only thing I didn't like about it, is the story line with the serial killer really took a back seat to the other story lines. I loved Reven's name and how she came to be named that. I would definitely read more of Ms. Stanton Hitchcock's work.
Erin
Aug 03, 2009 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, goodreads-win
This is a perfect beach read. It has interesting insight into high society and all of the complexities that go along with it. The murder is exactly the main focus of the plot but it is told from an interesting point of view. I did enjoy this book from beginning to end and would recommend it as a quick and enjoyable read.
Muriel
Sep 06, 2009 Muriel rated it really liked it
There is something about Jane Stanton Hitchcock's books I really like. A mystery to solve, interesting women characters, the world of the rich and famous, good writing.
The whole mix makes it a good, fast and satisfying read.
Cindy
Jan 17, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
This was my favorite by her thus far. I could not put it down because I was dying to know "whodunit". I liked the fact that things weren't always what they seemed in the book, so it does keep you on your toes a bit.
Jess
Aug 01, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
Great summer book. Romance and mystery, what more can you ask for. I enjoyed it for start to finish. For me the end wrapped up a little fast and I was left wondering about some of the characters. All in all, I very much enjoyed reading this novel!
Paige
Aug 09, 2009 Paige rated it liked it
It took me a bit to get into this one, but it ended up being a good summer read. My biggest problem was that I just really didn't like the protagonist. But it was definitely an interesting look into D.C. society - somewhere I never want to hang out!
  • The Oz Chronicles: Volume 1
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Paper Butterfly (A Mei Wang Mystery, #2)
  • The Rubber Band/The Red Box 2-in-1
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • Soft Come the Dragons / Dark of the Woods (Ace Double, 13793)
  • Better Off Wed (Annabelle Archer, #1)
  • Dark Eye (Susan Pulaski, #1)
  • Shimura Trouble
  • A Very Private Diary: A Nurse in Wartime
  • Cold Hit (Shane Scully, #5)
  • A Case of Two Cities (Inspector Chen Cao #4)
  • Thief of Souls
  • Missing Mark (Riley Spartz, #2)
  • Alla de stillsamma döda (Maria Wern #2)
New York Times bestselling author and native New Yorker Jane Stanton Hitchcock started her career as a playwright and screenwriter. Her plays include Grace; Bhutan; The Custom of the Country, an adaptation of Edith Wharton's great novel which was first produced at The Mount (Mrs. Wharton's house in Lenox, Massachusetts), then moved to off-Broadway in New York City; and Vanilla, a modern ...more
More about Jane Stanton Hitchcock...

“People are only taken seriously as they take themselves.” 8 likes
“it's much more interesting to try and understand what binds two people together. why we stay with each other is much more of a mystery than why we don't.” 6 likes