Start by marking “Selected Shorts: For Better and For Worse” as Want to Read:
Selected Shorts: For Better and For Worse

Selected Shorts: For Better and For Worse

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Recorded live at Peter Norton Symphony Space in New York City and at venues across the United States, these audio anthologies feature short stories from the Selected Shorts program that airs on public radio nationwide. More than 300,000 listeners tune in to this offering weekly to hear some of their favorite tales read aloud by distinguished actors.

From acouple's rocky, co
Audio CD, 1 page
Published October 1st 2008 by Symphony Space

To ask other readers questions about Selected Shorts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Shorts

Kayla Shifrin
What is wrong with the Selected Shorts
Audience? They always laugh at the wrong things.
Margot
This was a great collection of short stories, originally aired on NPR's program Selected Shorts. They were really well performed, although it took me a while to get used to the audience sounds and the feedback from the microphone on some of the (somewhat low quality) recordings. The collection contained two stories that I absolutely loved (5 stars): 'Eternal Love' by Karen Bender and 'The Wife's Story' by Ursula K. Le Guin.

'Eternal Love' follows a mother as she struggles to let go of her need to
Michele
I listened two two of the stories, and it was only marginally enjoyable. Not worth finishing.
Lauri
I love this series. It is an audio series based on live readings at Symphony Space in NY. Each reading is around a theme - betrayal, travel, food, marriage, "wondrous women", etc. The selected works are funny, thought provoking, scarey, etc. The readers are all recognizable voices from theatre and film. I have run out of the choices from our library system and may need to start purchasing from this series!

I would so highly recommend you run to your local library next time you are traveling anywh
Jamie
I particularly liked Sherman Alexie's humorous tale, the bittersweet "Eternal Love" by Karen E. Bender, and the soothing voice of beautiful Robert Sean Leonard for Luis Alberto Urrea's story.

I would try another volume of this series.
Tressa
For Better and For Worse was a surprise. The narration was excellent. My favorite short story within this collection was Eternal Love by Karen E. Bender, but I thought all the stories were pretty strong.
Jessicat
I think I needed this. I'm getting married soon...4th of July. These were uplifing and sad, but all very real. I appreciated them all.
Angie
Listen to these being read - the readers are excellent!!
Katrina
Katrina is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2015
Charlotte
Charlotte is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Juliewinters
Juliewinters marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
J Fleck
J Fleck marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
Selected Shorts: Even More Laughs Selected Shorts: A Celebration of the Short Story Selected Shorts: American Classics Selected Shorts: A Touch of Magic Selected Shorts: Travel Tales A Celebration Of The Short Story