Start by marking “Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)

Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  889 ratings  ·  61 reviews
FIRST HE LEARNS YOUR DARKEST FEARS...
THEN HE MAKES YOU LIVE THEM.

With a serial rapist loose on the streets of Savannah, hotshot detective Ryne Robel needs all the help he can get for his task force. And he needs it now, before another woman falls victim. But Abbie Phillips isn't what he bargained for. Sent from an exclusive group of the best criminologists in the country,
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published August 28th 2009 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about Waking Nightmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Nightmare

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
320th out of 1,280 books — 1,686 voters
Lover Avenged by J.R. WardDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene FrostThe Madness Of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer AshleySmooth Talking Stranger by Lisa KleypasTempt Me at Twilight by Lisa Kleypas
Best Romance Novels of 2009
69th out of 120 books — 318 voters

More lists with this book...

Mo

This is my first time reading this author and I must say I did like it. Have been on a bit of a Sandra Brown kick lately but wanted to switch authors but not genres.

He'd be the sort of man to appeal to most women, she supposed, if they liked the lean, lethal, surly type ... the hard line of his jaw was beginning to show five o'clock shadow

Set in Savannah, Georgia. Jaded, tough Detective, Ryne. Strong, but petite Criminologist, Abbie.

"Never figured someone your size could move that fas
Shawna
5 stars – Romantic Suspense

I didn’t know anything about this author or series until I got a recommendation on Amazon based on my past reading preferences and ratings, and I’m glad because it’s an excellent romantic suspense read that I might have otherwise overlooked. I read it in one sitting because I simply couldn’t put it down.

There’s a sadistic serial rapist at large in Savannah and the police are at a complete standstill in the investigation. Former New York homicide cop Ryne Robel is headi
Kathrynn
Jan 15, 2010 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Karen Rose fans
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Shawna
Excellent suspense had me gripping the pages. My only regret was that I didn't read this book in a time when I could be uninterrupted. Would have read it in a day--day and half--tops! No slow parts. Great characters, Ryne Robel and Abbie Phillips. Both had emotional baggage and their backstories were given out one morsel at a time. There are other characters that also keep the story rolling along. Abbie's sister, Callie, their horrible childhood (molestation), a police officer with a "problem," ...more
Mojca
Oct 28, 2009 Mojca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic suspense bordering on thriller fans / Leslie Parrish and Kate Brady fans
Recommended to Mojca by: Shawna
I really have to thank Shawna for recommending this to me. I certainly had no clue this series (or start of it) even existed, until she pointed me in the right direction. If this didn’t have a strong romantic plot somewhere in the middle of it, it could easily be classified as straightforward thriller…And I loved every minute of it. Well, almost.

Savannah is plagued by a sadistic serial rapist, later dubbed Nightmare Rapist, and the police task force assigned to the case is chasing ghosts around
Stephanie
This book is very procedural. If you like CSI then you might like this book. I say might because I love CSI, and I really didn't care for this book. I guess I just like to watch how they solve crimes, not read about it.

The characters are flat; there is just not a lot to make the reader like them. Both have very dark tortured pasts but, IMO the author did nothing to make you feel for them.

In all honesty I skipped about 50 pages of this book so that I could get to the end and see "who done it".
Lady Heather
I liked this story.

The writing and the storyline were good, but I found the characters a little 'dry' for my taste.
It took awhile for me to warm up to the leads Abbie & Ryne.

* It felt like it took me 'forever' to really get into the story so that I didn't feel like I wanted the put it down... but once I 'really got into the story, I was hooked. *

I really enjoyed the ending (I would never have guessed who the 'villain' was in this story).
Barbara
Sorry I can't do a review a la SBTB. I do not have the true snark-ability. However--here goes:
Waking Nightmare by Kylie Brant--Grade D
And OMG I actually read the whole thing so I could find out whodunnit.
Number one thing wrong--both the hero and the heroine are carrying serious emotional baggage. And then the author (number 2) drags the heroine's bipolar sister into the mix and (number 3) has the obligatory sleazy cop involved with a prostitute and (number 4) the captain/chief of police who als
J. Ostrowski
Nothing mind-blowing here. It was a fairly predicatable sequence taking the reader through the steps of an investigation into a serial rapist from the point of view of stand-offish profiler Abbie Philips. I couldn't wait to get to the end and be done with it. The plot was well done. The twists and misleading possibilities were all in place. What was lacking? Hard to put a finger on it but it simply wasn't a high-charge read for me. The wrap-up was dull, maybe because I was never invested enough ...more
Alix
Nov 29, 2014 Alix rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
At times, this was an oddly disjointed read.

We seemed to spend 90% of the book faffing around about a zillion miles away from getting anywhere near anticipating the "baddie" (not even a whiff of a foreshadow), as it were... and then BAM, out of somewhere well beyond left field, and with as much subtlety as a wrecking ball, the suspenseful plot completely unravels into "OHHAI I'M THE GUY YOU'RE AFTER, and BY THE WAY, you had zero inkling of who I was at all, because I wasn't so much as thought a
Ashley (yAdult Review)
Originally posted here

I have figured out a few things while cleaning my bookshelves. I own a lot of paperback romance novels. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have absolutely no regrets about this. But it also means that from someone who recently inhaled YA novels, this is a change. But it’s a fun change.

Walking Nightmare is the story of Abbie and Ryne two people who do not want to work together. Ryne is an overly hotshot detective who does not need anyones help, until it comes to this case that plagu
Shannon C.
I liked the parts of the story with the characters working the case. Good mystery/cop procedural style book. However the book was classified 'romantic suspense' and it didn't have a lot of romance. There were some sex scenes that just seemed thrown in. What was missing was building romantic tension. Just wasn't feeling it. The relationship development could have been done a lot better.
Melanie
I unfortunately read this one right after I Can See You which had a similar storyline but was, IMO, better and more gripping.. I still found it to be a good book, 3.5*, and will give the second in the series a try... I was surprised at the twist at the end though:-)
Anne OK
After receiving a recommendation on a reader's blog this morning, I promptly set about finding this series of books. I have just finished the first book "Waking Nightmare" and it was fantastic. Well-drawn characters with a storyline that kept me on the edge of my seat guessing who the "bad guy" was. Will start reading Book #2 in the morning!
Keri
Very good first book in trilogy. I know KB has wrote books in the category romance arena and this is first out in mainstream. Very well done. It took me awhile to warm up to Annie. But in the end it was well worth it. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Isabella
Definitely kept me guessing until the end. Good mystery, decent romance, nice writing skills.
Anita Truong
In short, this book was less action-packed and less suspenseful than the previous entourage of Romantic Suspense novels I've been reading. Waking Nightmare read more like a forensics crime scene investigation procedural without all the flashy lights. Since the basis of the story surrounds the work of a criminal profiler and the tediousness of an ongoing criminal investigation, I can see why there'd be less suspense included.

Still, I'm appreciative of how much more realistic (as realistic as roma
Lauren
Waking Nightmare
4.5 Stars

A serial rapist is terrorizing Savannah and the police call in private profiler, Abbie Phillips, for assistance on the case. Abbie clashes both personally and professionally with the lead investigator, Ryne Robel, and the two must develop a workable relationship if they are to stop the sadistic monster before he strikes closer to home.

Brant’s writing style is reminiscent of Cynthia Eden’s Deadly Fear and Die for Me books. The plot is well-constructed with some exciting
Barbara ★
I really really liked this book which is surprising because it's been on my TBR since 2009 and I kept passing it up and I'm not sure why. I can't remember what I thought it was about but it's a romantic suspense story with a strong murder mystery theme which is one of my favorite genres. Well anyway I finally picked it up and read it and loved it.

Lead detective Ryne Robel has a past that haunts him and mindhunter Abbie Phillips has a twisted tortured past as well. So we have two damaged leads an
K. Bird
Want a tough-but-vulnerable heroine and a tough-but-vulnerable hero thrown together during a serial rapist investigation?

Look no further. "Waking Nightmare" introduces us to the disciples of Adam Raiker, a former FBI agent who starts his own private criminal forensics practice.

One of his employees, Abbie, comes to Savannah, Georgia to help a special task force find a serial rapist. Her specialty is criminal profiling, and the lead detective on the case, Ryne, is doubtful at first, but then is wo
jenjn79
I've had this series sitting on my shelf for a while after having it recommended by a couple GR friends and finally decided to read it. I'd read a few of Brant's HQ/Sil books and didn't mind them and I love romantic suspense so this seemed like it'd be a great series. This first book started off really well, but it didn't quite fully deliver. There were, for me, some critical areas it lacked in that kept it from moving from a good book to a great book.

Series Note:
First book in Brant's "Mindhunte
Sara
Meigan
This was my first book this author and it was OK. Typical romantic - suspense where the cop falls in love. The only thing that was slightly different was the female love interest wasn't a victim, she was a strong character who was pulled in to help the cop solve a case.

Abbie Phillips is a criminal profiler who works for a notorious ex FBI agent/profiler named Adam Raiker who started a company called Mindhunters, which is an elite group of profilers like Abbie. That part really interested me, I
Martina
I liked it. I really liked the heroine and I also liked the hero except (view spoiler).

The story was good as well :)
Abbie is a top rate profiler. Ryne Robel is a detective in charge of a serial rapist investigation. While neither seems to warm to one another when Abbie is brought in as a special consultant, sparks ensue when the two of them can't ignore their undeniable chemistry.

The serial rapist is torturing women with their worst fears and then leaving them to be found. The fact that they will live out the rest of their lives damaged and afraid is the very thing that drives him.

Abbie and Ryne are forced to
Jan
In Savannah, Ryne Robel is in charge of the investigation of a serial rapist. When an outside consultant, Abbie Phillips, is brought into the case, he is not exactly excited. But soon he has to admit that she is excellent at her job. He also finds himself drawn to her personally. But Abbie has a lot of baggage and finds it hard to trust any man outside a professional relationship.

Hmmm, this book was pretty good. It was more romance than I usually like, but it did not overshadow the mystery. I en
Amanda
I thought Waking Nightmare was a good romantic suspense book and I will continue to read the Mindhunters series.

Things I Liked:
- I liked that the female lead was a profiler rather than a victim, witness, etc. It was a cool profession to read about and I liked having the female lead have such a smart, tough career.
- I thought the mystery was interesting

Things I Disliked:
- There is a plot twist about the mystery that just didn't really work for me.
- the chemistry between the leads was lacking a bi
Cheryl
I wanted to give this a 5, I love Kylie Brant and I am pleased to see her expand. I love that the female character might have issues (sorry no spoilers) and was still strong, intelligent, and could hold her own.

I thought the author leaked a little to much info to soon in regards to the mystery, but was pleased to see it twist and turn and end with a surprise.

The relationship aspect was also hot! Not just scorching sex, you could feel the emotions.

4.5 for me.

Can not wait for book to in the Mind
~Leslie~
This is my second book to read in this series and the first in the series. I really enjoy the writing and the characters and the storyline. This one is about a serial rapist. She describes the police procedures extremely well without getting too bogged down in details. There are alot of twists and interesting side characters. I also like the fact that things make sense that the characters do and she doesn't spend alot of time on unnecessary "misunderstandings". I really dislike that plot device. ...more
Alison
This is my first book by Kylie Brant and I really enjoyed it! In some RS books I'm able to figure out who did it, but I was shocked when I found out who the bad guy was in this book!

I really liked Abby and Ryne together. It was nice to see a hero who wasn't fighting his feelings...even though he wasn't particulary happy to have feelings for Abby. I liked that Abby was tough and that she always stood by her sister.

I can't wait to start on the next on in this series!!

Sherri
Kylie Brant was a new author for me. I read the back of the book and it caught my attention enough for me to read it and I wasn't disappointed. Brant kept the supense going through the entire book. I think it's great writing when you think you know who did it and it's incorrect. I love the relationship that builds between Abbie and Ryne. They both have emotional baggage that their dealing with. And Abbies dysfunctional sister makes a mess of things also.
  • Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • Whisper of Warning (Glass Sisters, The #2)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • Thrill Me to Death (Bullet Catcher, #2)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Beg for Mercy (Dead Wrong, #1)
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
  • Always Look Twice (Callahan Brothers, #3)
  • Inside (Bulletproof, #1)
The mother of five children, Kylie Brant claims she began writing to save her sanity. Plotting stories became her method of escape from the reality of constant ball games, chauffeuring kids, and refereeing "minor" disagreements between her perfect offspring.

In 1992 she was elated to get a call from Silhouette offering to buy her second novel. Home with laryngitis at the time, she still managed to
More about Kylie Brant...
Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3) Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2) Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4) Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5) Deadly Sins (Mindhunters, #6)