The Avenger (Time Raiders #3)

The Avenger (Time Raiders #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  38 reviews
For Alexandra Patton, the Time Raiders project sends the reluctant psychic back to 60 AD Briton - a world where she can barely understand the accents, let alone its culture of brutality and superstition. Armed only with her "freakish" ability to talk to the dead, Alex must use all her gifts to entice Caradoc, a savagely sexy Druid warrior, into helping her succeed in her m...more
Mass Market Paperback, Silhouette Nocturne #73, 288 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Silhouette Books

To ask other readers questions about The Avenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avenger

Sammee (I Want to Read That)
3.5 Stars

This was good fun. I thought the book didn’t take itself too seriously and was better for it. I loved the time travel aspect of the story and enjoyed the 60 AD setting. I was fascinated by the history of that period and would definitely be interested in reading more about Boudica. It was much more spiritual than I expected it to be but in a pleasantly surprising way. I enjoyed all the magical aspects and the drawing of power from the land – but some may find too much detail is included...more
YA Reader
I am a huge fan of Cast's House of Night series but Historical Romance isn't normally my cup of tea. However, once I'd read a couple of chapters I was glued to it. To me the idea of a 21st century woman who can see the dead travelling back to the time of Boudicca to recover missing pieces of a medallion seemed a tad convoluted and a bit strange but it really did work. Cast made it work.

There are a two main characters in this book. Firstly Alex who the story revolves around as she travels back to...more
Sophie
The Avenger is a tale of ghosts, time travel, war, revenge and romance all in one novel.

My expectations for this book weren’t very high. I don’t like PC Cast’s House of Night series; I can’t bring myself to read any further and I’ve only gotten to book three! So I was surprised at how much I enjoyed The Avenger. I can honestly say that I’ll definitely be reading more adult paranormal romance in the future.

I loved the historical setting of this novel. The Roman empire’s reign is an era of histo...more
Jean
I thought The Avenger was a refreshing change from P.C. Cast’s normal niche of writing, but I also thought her writing somewhat improved when she wrote adult characters.

The Celts were well developed and well described as Celts, though sometimes you could mistake them for being modern, but hey, it’s hard to write like you are from 60 AD, when you obviously have never spoken to them before.

I thought the plot was well thought out, there was a point to the story and it was also interesting enough to...more
Karla V
read complete review here: http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2...

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Everybody is always going on about how you can't judge a book by its cover and all that, but, really. We totally do that. And I couldn't help but do it with this one. Good reviews not withstanding.

This is actually the third volume of a series, but I skipped the first two and it didn't get in my way at all.

I have to admit that the first few pages did drag a bit... yup, s...more
Megan
I have enjoyed P.C. Cast's book for quite some time, particularly her Goddess Summoning Series. I picked this book up because I noticed it was about the Celts and as soon as I turned to the first page, I was hooked. Cast is a wonderful storyteller and it's apparent just how much hard work and research she put into making this book come alive. The idea of a Soul Seeker and Goddesses as well as Gods being alive was a wonderful concept and found myself wanting to know more about this particular era...more
Crystal
Mmmm.. more of a 3.5 I guess. I didn't really feel the romance for one, and for another, the whole thing seemed...rushed, like maybe that plot would have been better in a full-sized novel.

Some nits to pick - a person born a priestess, just in the wrong time/country? Eh? I mean; I can understand that she sees dead people but the whole "untrained priestess" thing there was a bit much to swallow. What if she'd been a nun?

Being pressured to join the group to time travel - emmmm.... no.

And... she was...more
K
Feb 25, 2010 K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal romance
Much to my suprise, I really enjoyed this story. Upon reading the summary/description, I was unsure what to expect. But being a fan of the author and paranormal romance, I thought why not? I think the main things that I liked were that the writing and story was very similar to Cast's Goddess Summoning Series, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and that although this book is part of a series, its a story all its own. As with her other books, I liked the strength and independence of the herione, her use...more
Caro
This was a great book. I really enjoyed reading this and was pulled in and emerged in the story and characters. I loved the characters and could feel and sense everything. This was written amazingly well and had me in these times and places. I could picture everything perfectly. I smiled, laughed, was happy, a little warm sometimes, teared up some, wanted the bash and beat 'someone' extremely, felt the hope and despair, and everything in between. The pages flew and the time passed too fast. This...more
Kim
In the beginning I approached the book with apprehension as it was so cryptic and odd. I plowed through and slowly but steadily became intrigued with the ancient Celtic culture and goal oriented characters. Once I was fully emerged in the historical setting, culture, and customs I began to enjoy the intricacies of the budding romance and suddenly it seemed I could not read fast enough. No longer being distracted by the paranormal aspects I came to see it more as a shimmering backdrop to a truly...more
Pepca
The Avenger has both good and bad sides. Nevertheless, the positive things outweigh the shortcomings in and make it a compelling read.

Read full review on my blog, Beyond Strange New Words.

RECOMMENDATION: Those who love historical/time travel romance will most probably find The Avenger a fast and entertaining read which is hard to put down. Also, despite being a part of series, The Avenger is in fact, as well as the other Time Raiders books, a book which can be read as a stand-alone.
Cris
Normally I don't even look twice at this kind of series romance. But I've read most of P C Cast's book and enjoyed them all, so when I stumbled over this book I gave it a try.

It wasn't bad, but it could have been a lot better. And I'll bet most of the shortfalls are due to the series restrictions.

The story would have benefited from at least 50 more pages. Cast spent so much time on the setup that she ran out of room and the climax and ending felt very rushed. (But the setup was really well done...more
Cornelia
This is a paranormal - time travel/sci-fi/romance set against the backdrop of Boudica in 1st century AD England. It's one of the Time Raiders series where people have to travel through time to find pieces of a medallion which offers the key to freedom from an alien race. I love anything with Boudica. And the time traveling heroine falls in love with a druid from the learning center at the isle of Mona or as I say Ynys Mon. So I loved this and highly recommend it.
Anna
This was my first series romance, so I'm not sure if this is normal, but there were tons of editorial errors, even on important things like the main characters' names. Other than that, though, I really enjoyed it. It was about time travel, but only on the surface, and it took place during Celtic times, which was fun. The characters were well developed for the amount of space she had, and the plot was exciting.
~Leslie~
It was closer to a 3 than a 2 but I just couldn't give it a 3. I've read other books by this author and some I've liked and some I haven't. This falls in the I sort of liked it and sort of found okay. The idea has merit, I didn't connect with the female main character at first and then she seemed to have a radical change in personality. I found myself skipping large parts of it.
Anna
Sadly, I'm quiet dissapointed. I'm a huge fan of P.C. Cast's books, but somehow I wasn't impressed by this one at all. Everything was too fast. The love of the hero and heroine, the war... They seemed to be in a rush with everything. And the end was a little odd. So yes, i got used to much better stories and plotlines from P.C. Anyhow, i liked the era and mytology part.
Anna
I miss reading PC Cast! Romance, drama, engaging story lines - you can't help but dive right in. I always have a hard time putting any book of Cast's down once I start reading them.

This book was no exception. Parts of it - the whole time travel, saving the world was of course more to keep the book in line with the Time Raiders series which I haven't read any of.
Adrienna
Once I started reading, I realized it was the third book in the series. However, I was able to read it without reading the previous series but now it has me wondering did I miss something. It was well-written but difficult to really connect to the story itself.
Sondra Boudreau
this story was about a woman of today that went back in time to get something and meet a man from her dream that help her get the thing and sent her back but not before they fall in Love. God she is a luck woman.
Amber
I really enjoyed most of the book; I didn't so much like the part about the soul shattering...Kinda boring, But other than that I like it. I think I'll have to pick up some more of the Time Raiders books.
Melissa
This book is beyond my own words. It left me speechless, breathless, and surely doubtful of finding another that is just as good. Time travel, love, and adventure. Surely a book anyone would lust over.
Jenna
Another great one from Cast! I haven't read the others in the serise but hopefully they are just as good. This stands alone just fine if you don't want to read the rest of the Time Raiders series.
Andrea
This was a good read type of book. I enjoyed the leads, the plot was interesting, and I liked it. This is the second time raiders book I've read but I have to say I didn't love it as much as book 2.
Harriet
Enjoyable time-travel that takes place during Boadicea's rule in Briton. The editing was strange - there were even a couple of times where the main characters' names were incorrectly spelled!
Alice
The book was good, i always loved the timetravel romance books. It was well-written but difficult to really connect to the story itself and seemed kinda fast pasted in some places.
Smokinhotbooks K.C.
This was an impulse buy for me and my Spidey Smut sense steered me wrong. This book had some great fantasy moments and action but overall easily forgettable for me.
Sharon
Full of adventure, mystic rehlms, mystery, romance, kinship and much more this book is definately a page turner. P.C. Cast has once again nailed it!
Vicki
Surprised how much I actually liked this one. Pindered between 3 and 4 and decided to go with 4 as I really did enjoy it.

Full review to come.
Heather Tisdale
Cute. I would have liked more of a historical background, but it wasn't written as a historical fiction piece so I get it.
  • The Slayer (Time Raiders #2)
  • The Seeker (Time Raiders #1)
  • Holiday with a Vampire III (Secret Vampire Society #2)
  • Dream Stalker (The Tracker #1)
  • The Vampire's Kiss (Valorian Chronicles #5)
  • Wild Wolf (The Pack #9)
  • Poisoned Kisses (Mythica #3)
  • Sentinels: Wolf Hunt (Sentinels #3)
  • Angel Slayer (Of Angels and Demons #1)
  • Immortal Wolf (Draicon Werewolves, #5)
  • Vanished (Guardians #3)
  • Lord of the Desert (Immortal Sheiks #1)
  • Dangerous Temptation (Daughters of Myth #1)
  • Holiday with a Vampire II
  • Vampire Vendetta (Vampire #2)
  • Wild Hunt (Unbound #3)
  • Captive of the Beast (Knights of White #4)
  • Scions: Insurrection (Scions #2)
P.C. Cast was born in the Midwestern United States, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. With her tour in the USAF completed, she taught high school for 15 years before retirin...more
More about P.C. Cast...
Marked (House of Night #1) Betrayed (House of Night #2) Untamed (House of Night #4) Chosen (House of Night #3) Hunted (House of Night, #5)

“Seeing it makes a magnificent abstract concept real, and reality tends to taint even the most wonderful ideas [...] - Caradoc” 3 likes