Start by marking “McNally's Folly” as Want to Read:
McNally's Folly

McNally's Folly (Archy McNally #9)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  531 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Legendary Hollywood leading lady Desdemona Darling is set to star in the Palm Beach Community Theater's production of Arsenic and Old Lace, and her arrival sets the whole town in a tizzy. But when an actor sips some prop wine and drops dead, the play is filled with murderer. Play director Archy McNally must separate the actions from the genuine article.
Published September 1st 2001 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published July 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about McNally's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McNally's Folly

An Odd1
McNally lives at home, in a separate garage apartment, shares cocktail hour with mater and pater, tries to be faithful but falls for buxom beauties, enjoys the specialties at his local yacht club/ bar. His fashion sense would match a striped lime green beret to cherry red polkadot tie over lilac checkered golf knickers. He savors the finest cognac, aromatic cheroot, and onion bedecked burger. I read the series more for his eccentricities and hot Florida sun than adulterous greedy socialite soap ...more
Jeff
Jul 28, 2011 Jeff added it
"McNally's Folly" was the first Archie McNally book I have ever read (or listened to as the case may be). I didn't quite know what to make of it to be quite honest. For making itself sound like a murder mystery, the murder didn't even happen until about half way through the book. Archie, who is basically a private investigator for his father's firm, does get tasked with exposing a pychic as a fraud within the first chapter, so there is that mystery as well. The murder had me guessing, but the se ...more
Shane
Jan 31, 2013 Shane added it
The McNally books written by Vincent Lardo are lighter in tone than the ones written by Lawrence Sanders, who created the character - and the McNally series in general was lighter than Sander's other books - which includes the "Deadly Sins" series.

At any rate, I can't remember anything about this book except that it was enjoyable - this is kind of like a mashup between a murder mystery and P.G. Wodehouse or a modern day Dorothy Sayers, although I would have a hard time saying that the character
Stephen
This is a fun mystery dealing with a "missing" husband, a film meant to be hidden, adoption, and paternity, set in southern FL. I like Archy McNally's character and the author's writing style. But he is no Lawrence Sanders. Still a good read.
Dana
Desdemona Darling has arrived!! She is to be the star of the Palm Beach Community Theater's production of Arsenic and Old Lace. Archy has been coerced into directing. The cast and the crew are among Palm Beach's rich and famous.

At a cast party Desmonda's husband, Richard Holmes, sips some elderberry wine and drops dead. Now real life is imitating the play. Furthermore Richard had just asked Archy to find out who was blackmailing his wife. Now Archy must find out the real murderer among a cast of
Pam
McNally's Folly by Lawrence Sanders & Vincent Lardo
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2000, 323 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's (?), Palm Beach, FL
CHARACTERS: Archy McNally/investigator for father's discreet Palm Beach law office
COMMENTS: Archy is asked to direct a local theater group's production of Arsenic & Old Lace. An actor sips some wine at a reception & dies.
Elizabeth
Vincent Lardo is no Lawrence Sanders. I gave this one a chance because I just love the McNally books...but there was something about the writing style of the book that seemed stilted. I imagine it is very difficult to try to write story using someone else's characters and style; but perhaps there is a lesson there: don't try.
Laurie Stoll
I enjoyed the story line and the author writes well. This book/series of Archy McNally has just too much snobbery and gossip for me.

This series takes place in Palm Beach Florida where the characters in the book are very rich, very snobbish, and gossip is a way of life.
Mary Newcomb
Archy McNally is called upon to resolve a domestic issue, direct a play and unmask a fake psychic. He does all of this with aplomb, in the midst of his beloved Palm Beach. And, along the way, he resolves two mysterious deaths. What a guy!

Donna
This is a fun mystery dealing with a "missing" husband, a film meant to be hidden, adoption, and paternity, set in southern FL. I like Archy McNally's character and the author's writing style. I will probably read more of these. =)
Tom
This is an Agatha Christie type book, where the principals are part of high-society Palm Beach, and the suspects are limited to the cast of a community theater play, plus one.
Michele Carpenter
I really enjoy this Lawrence Sanders series. Vincent Lardo did a pretty good job taking over from Sanders. McNally is a charming character.
Lorma
Ninth in the series, I don't think I read them all or in order for that matter. Enjoyable, great for mindless beach reading.
Nicola Barton
farcical and fun, I know not many people like ole Archy, but I enjoyed! Worth a look , I will read more of Mcnally's stories
Cynthia
I guess nobody writes McNally like Sanders! I could tell it was a different writer, & lost interest in the series.
Bill Donhiser
Always have enjoyed the McNally series, obviously not fine literature but great for mindless beach reading.
Glenda Norton
I love Archie!!! Will look forward to reading more books with Archie as the detective!!!!
Ginny
Much prefer his books with Detective Delaney. I fing Archie and friends boring.
Powersamurai
Predictable, but a great air plane book.
Kathy
Not as good as the original, but fun.
Sandy
Quick read, always entertaining.
Anne Marshall
Didn't finish.
Valynn
Ninth in series
Carolynn R
Carolynn R marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Himanshu
Himanshu marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
nancy
nancy added it
Jan 08, 2015
  • McNally's Gamble
  • The Alpine Uproar (Emma Lord Mystery, #21)

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Caper
  • McNally's Trial
  • McNally's Puzzle
  • McNally's Gamble
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi
McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8) McNally's Alibi McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10) McNally's Dare McNally's Bluff (Archy McNally, #13)