Start by marking “McNally's Folly” as Want to Read:
McNally's Folly

McNally's Folly (Archy McNally #9)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  669 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Legendary Hollywood leading lady Desdemona Darling is set to star in the Palm Beach Community Theater's production of Arsenic and Old Lace, and her arrival sets the whole town in a tizzy. But when an actor sips some prop wine and drops dead, the play is filled with murderer. Play director Archy McNally must separate the actions from the genuine article.
Published September 1st 2001 by Berkley Publishing Group (first published July 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about McNally's Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McNally's Folly

An Odd1
Aug 17, 2013 An Odd1 rated it it was ok
McNally lives at home, in a separate garage apartment, shares cocktail hour with mater and pater, tries to be faithful but falls for buxom beauties, enjoys the specialties at his local yacht club/ bar. His fashion sense would match a striped lime green beret to cherry red polkadot tie over lilac checkered golf knickers. He savors the finest cognac, aromatic cheroot, and onion bedecked burger. I read the series more for his eccentricities and hot Florida sun than adulterous greedy socialite soap ...more
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#9 in the Archy McNally series (#2 by author Lardo after 7 series entries by originator Lawrence Sanders).

Archy McNally series - South Florida's premier sleuth-about-town strikes again in a deliciously daffy caper that takes a decidedly deadly turn. In a production of Arsenic and Old Lace, a play filled with murderers, only Archy McNally can separate the actors from the real killers.

Jeff
Jul 28, 2011 Jeff added it
"McNally's Folly" was the first Archie McNally book I have ever read (or listened to as the case may be). I didn't quite know what to make of it to be quite honest. For making itself sound like a murder mystery, the murder didn't even happen until about half way through the book. Archie, who is basically a private investigator for his father's firm, does get tasked with exposing a pychic as a fraud within the first chapter, so there is that mystery as well. The murder had me guessing, but the se ...more
John Grazide
It seems that Mr. Lardo did a little more research (and reading previous McNally novels) as this one had a familiar "voice". The story remains a little more involved than prior McNally installments but at the same time more character driven. If this keeps up the series will hold me until the end.
A Michael
Aug 19, 2016 A Michael rated it liked it
An excellent recovery of the original characters in Mr. Lardo's second effort to take over the Archy McNally series. There remain dome changes, but the essence of the Sanders characters has returned.
Shane
Jan 31, 2013 Shane added it
The McNally books written by Vincent Lardo are lighter in tone than the ones written by Lawrence Sanders, who created the character - and the McNally series in general was lighter than Sander's other books - which includes the "Deadly Sins" series.

At any rate, I can't remember anything about this book except that it was enjoyable - this is kind of like a mashup between a murder mystery and P.G. Wodehouse or a modern day Dorothy Sayers, although I would have a hard time saying that the character
Stephen
May 18, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
This is a fun mystery dealing with a "missing" husband, a film meant to be hidden, adoption, and paternity, set in southern FL. I like Archy McNally's character and the author's writing style. But he is no Lawrence Sanders. Still a good read.
Dana
Jul 31, 2009 Dana rated it liked it
Desdemona Darling has arrived!! She is to be the star of the Palm Beach Community Theater's production of Arsenic and Old Lace. Archy has been coerced into directing. The cast and the crew are among Palm Beach's rich and famous.

At a cast party Desmonda's husband, Richard Holmes, sips some elderberry wine and drops dead. Now real life is imitating the play. Furthermore Richard had just asked Archy to find out who was blackmailing his wife. Now Archy must find out the real murderer among a cast of
Kathleen Meacham
Mar 20, 2015 Kathleen Meacham rated it it was ok
The last book in this series that I am reading, due to personal changes in my life.
Tobie
May 20, 2015 Tobie rated it really liked it
To quote myself, "I love all the McNally books and recommend them heartily."
Pam
Sep 22, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
McNally's Folly by Lawrence Sanders & Vincent Lardo
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2000, 323 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's (?), Palm Beach, FL
CHARACTERS: Archy McNally/investigator for father's discreet Palm Beach law office
COMMENTS: Archy is asked to direct a local theater group's production of Arsenic & Old Lace. An actor sips some wine at a reception & dies.
Elizabeth
Sep 04, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Vincent Lardo is no Lawrence Sanders. I gave this one a chance because I just love the McNally books...but there was something about the writing style of the book that seemed stilted. I imagine it is very difficult to try to write story using someone else's characters and style; but perhaps there is a lesson there: don't try.
Laurie Stoll
Jul 13, 2011 Laurie Stoll rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed the story line and the author writes well. This book/series of Archy McNally has just too much snobbery and gossip for me.

This series takes place in Palm Beach Florida where the characters in the book are very rich, very snobbish, and gossip is a way of life.
Mary Newcomb
Archy McNally is called upon to resolve a domestic issue, direct a play and unmask a fake psychic. He does all of this with aplomb, in the midst of his beloved Palm Beach. And, along the way, he resolves two mysterious deaths. What a guy!

Donna
Mar 10, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it
This is a fun mystery dealing with a "missing" husband, a film meant to be hidden, adoption, and paternity, set in southern FL. I like Archy McNally's character and the author's writing style. I will probably read more of these. =)
Joe O'c
Apr 03, 2015 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Archy McNally; with an old time movie star and a "seer" staying in Palm Beach, plans for the community theater to put on Arsenic and Old Lace lead to life imitating art
Tom
Sep 02, 2010 Tom rated it liked it
This is an Agatha Christie type book, where the principals are part of high-society Palm Beach, and the suspects are limited to the cast of a community theater play, plus one.
Michele Carpenter
May 22, 2014 Michele Carpenter rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this Lawrence Sanders series. Vincent Lardo did a pretty good job taking over from Sanders. McNally is a charming character.
Lorma
Apr 25, 2012 Lorma rated it liked it
Ninth in the series, I don't think I read them all or in order for that matter. Enjoyable, great for mindless beach reading.
Nicola Barton
Nov 20, 2012 Nicola Barton rated it liked it
farcical and fun, I know not many people like ole Archy, but I enjoyed! Worth a look , I will read more of Mcnally's stories
Cynthia
Dec 05, 2011 Cynthia rated it did not like it
I guess nobody writes McNally like Sanders! I could tell it was a different writer, & lost interest in the series.
Bill Donhiser
Apr 01, 2012 Bill Donhiser rated it liked it
Always have enjoyed the McNally series, obviously not fine literature but great for mindless beach reading.
Glenda Norton
Feb 15, 2013 Glenda Norton rated it really liked it
I love Archie!!! Will look forward to reading more books with Archie as the detective!!!!
Ginny
Feb 14, 2009 Ginny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2005, borrowed
Much prefer his books with Detective Delaney. I fing Archie and friends boring.
Powersamurai
Jul 30, 2012 Powersamurai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Predictable, but a great air plane book.
Kathy
Nov 13, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Not as good as the original, but fun.
Sandy
Sep 09, 2010 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read, always entertaining.
Anne Marshall
Sep 01, 2012 Anne Marshall rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime, fiction
Didn't finish.
Valynn
Ninth in series
  • McNally's Gamble

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Caper
  • McNally's Trial
  • McNally's Puzzle
  • McNally's Gamble
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi