Round is a Mooncake: A Book of Shapes

Round is a Mooncake: A Book of Shapes

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A little girl's neighborhood becomes a discovery ground of things round, square and rectangular. Many of the objects are Asian in origin, other universal: round rice bowls and a found pebble, square dim sum and pizza boxes, rectangular Chinese lace and very special pencil case. Bright art accompanies this lively introduction to shapes and short glossary explains the cultur...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Round is a Mooncake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Round is a Mooncake

Alexis Y.
This book has some multicultural elements but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it to start a multicultural discussion. The girl in the story is Asian and she is noticing the shapes around her. Square, round and rectangular are some of the shapes she mentions. Some of the shapes she sees are from Asian objects others are not. The illustrations in the book suggest that the story takes place in an Asian country and gives readers a glimpse of some of the objects used in the Asian culture. If a teach...more
Sherry
Wonderful picture book to introduce the idea of shapes to toddlers. Teaches children to seek and recognize shapes in everyday objects. Recommended for ages 2-6.

“Round Is a Mooncake” is a delightful picture book that teaches the math concept of shapes and the visual and intellectual skills to recognize shapes everywhere. Preschoolers will love to listen to the lyrical, narrative rhyme, so important in early literacy skills. Early elementary students find the rhyming scheme helpful in decoding wo...more
Amy Holliday
Comments on the Story:
This story is unique because it combines two learning genres, an introduction to shapes and an introduction to a unique culture. Thus, the story could be useful for explaining to children what some of the different words meant and could be used with cultural diversity activities or the focus of the book could be about shapes. I find this combination to be appealing because I think that we often think that introduction to shapes should just be about shapes and it is nice to...more
Hana Sm.
This story describes the life of an Asian-American girl (who is unnamed) by showing the reader things in her home & neighborhood that are unique to her Chinese culture. I know that the girl lives in America because some of the signs in her neighborhood are in English, her family eats pepperoni pizza & the houses are American-style.

This book is also a shape book–the shapes are from objects commonly found in Chinese households (round lanterns, square radish cakes). But there are a few Ame...more
Claudia
(CIP) As a little girl discovers things round, square, and rectangular in her urban neighborhood, she is reminded of her Chinese American culture.

(Claudia) Short rhymes name many things round, square, and rectangular: lanterns, rice bowls, a name chop, tofu cakes, sacks of rice, lucky money … all from the Chinese-America home and neighborhood of the little girl telling the story. Attractive double-page paintings do a thorough job of introducing us to all those variously shaped things, as well as...more
Stephanie
I viewed this book on Tumblebooks through Library of Virginia. I was especially interested in viewing Tumblebooks because I am interested in introducing my two year old niece to different reading mediums. I was also interested in the aspect of other cultures and introducing young readers to this important and wonderful aspect of literature.
I really enjoyed the book, and the presentation of the book on the screen. The text is highlighted in portions as it is read, and does not linger long enoug...more
Joan
I snagged a copy at ALA and took a quick read. I am not familiar with the author but of course I recognize the illustrator, Grace Lin. The illustrations are the best part of the book. The story is quiet and not terrifically creative. The illustrations are bright and cheerful. It is a perfectly decent book to have in the library for kids to learn shapes and a bit about Chinese culture at the same time.
Sam
This is a concept book in which readers would learn about how shapes like circles, squares, and rectangles take many forms in today’s world. The book is about a Chinese girl who discovers that shapes are everywhere if you are willing to look for them. The book has questions that ask the reader to identify other shapes from on each page.

Teaching ideas:

1) The teacher will instruct the students to draw three columns on their paper and label each one with circle, square, and rectangle. Have the stu...more
Amy B.
Jul 24, 2008 Amy B. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: early childhood educators/ parents of young children
Recommended to Amy by: NEA website
Thong, R. (2000). Round is a mooncake. San Francisco, California. Chronicle Books.

This text celebrates some of the aspects of the Chinese culture using shapes to help label objects. The story of a Chinese girl and the shapes that she finds in her neighborhood will appeal to young children learning about shapes and older children curious about other cultures. The illustrations show a family that values their culture and traditions. The glossary at the end of the text helps the reader relate to th...more
Brittany Hastings
Grade Level: PreK
Lexile: 110
Main Character: Young Chinese Girl
Setting: Neigborhood
POV: 3rd Person
Genre: Realistic Fiction, Multicultural Literature

-Summary: This story is about a young Chinese girl who goes around her neighborhood to find different shapes. Many of these shapes that she finds have Asian roots. She decides which shapes she thinks are circles and which shapes she thinks are rectangles. Some of the objects that she identifies are rice bowls, lace, and other Chinese objects.

I would...more
Meg McGregor
A wonderful way for little ones to be exposed to shapes and to another culture.

Beautifully illustrated and quite informative this book is a keeper!
(NS)JenniferA
Round is a Mooncake by Roseanne Thong is a book for very young children who are learning their shapes. I enjoyed that the author integrated the shapes of things present in the Chinese culture as well as things in American culture. This book also had lots of rhyming, which would be good to use for the younger grades. I listened to this book read on the Tumble Books website. I enjoyed the voice of the reader as well as the moving illustrations. As he shapes were mentioned on each pages the object...more
Katherine Fountain
Round is a Mooncake gives readers many different ways to conceptualize shapes. This story uses American and Chinese items that can be found in day to day life. Objects include a rice bowl, pizza box, etc. This story would be best for pre-k and kindergarten and after reading, students could think of or look for shapes in their own day to day lives. A scavenger hunt around the school would be fun as well. I love the multicultural aspect in this book and all of the possibilities that can be incorpo...more
Katie Williams
As the title states, this is a book about shapes and how everyday items are shaped like a circle, square, rectangle, etc. Students could identify shapes around the room using proper vocabulary to describe them (I see something that has no angles and one side, etc.) They could also be assgined a different shape each week adn as a show and tell, bring someting in from home that is of that shape. An inferring lesson could be used as there are some terms from Chinese culture are mentioned; what do y...more
Westerville
"A girl finds circles, square, rectangles in her everyday world. Some are culturally specific to her Chinese heritage -- round are rice bowls, square of her name chop, rectangle of abacus, and these are interspersed with the everyday -- mice and houses and pizza." - Robin, Youth Librarian

Reserve a library copy or check out our free online read-along!
Lauren Owens
This is a shapes book that gives examples of circles, rectangles and squares in the chinese-american culture.

ELL Connection: Since this book is written to relate Chinese objects to shapes, I would definitely use it with Chinese students in younger grades. But, I would also use it for all ELLs because the pictures are very simple to understand and the way the book is written demonstrates the skill of applying shapes to the real world in a very visual way.

Recommended grade level:P-2
jacky
This was read at the end of play group. It is a shape book with a Chinese culture theme. It has more of a story than most shape books, which are just the shape seen in one or two places per page. There were nice colors in the illustrations, which had a nice balance of detail and simplicity. I didn't hear the whole thing because Natalie was wandering a bit, but I expect we'll hear it again another day since we often get repeated books.
Asho
I like that this book does double duty. It introduces three shapes (square, rectangle, circle) and presents objects from Chinese and Chinese-American culture as examples of the shapes. I love it when I read a children's book and learn about things that I didn't know about! The style of the illustrations didn't do much for me, but I would consider checking this one out again once my son gets old enough to identify shapes.
Robin
Poetic, rhyming text. A girl finds circles, square, rectangles in her everyday world. Some are culturally specific to her Chinese heritage -- round are rice bowls, square of her name chop, rectangle of abacus, and these are interspersed with the everyday -- mice and houses and pizza. Simple enough for young listeners (toddlers). Bold bright illustrations will appeal to them as well.
Shira
Reading this text aloud is a great way to integrate literature into a beginning math lesson about shapes.This book brings shapes to life by giving real life examples of objects that take on certain shapes in the Chinese culture. It can be used along with Geoboards in the classroom to as students construct the different shapes throughout the book.
Cressalyn Davis
This a good cultural book that incorporates shapes. There is a little girl that is explaining several things in her house that we as Americans would never see and some that we would see. I was interested to see what I knew! There is also a little blurb at the end explaining the different things that were talked about.
Cassie
age 3 an up. Covers circles, squares and rectangles and the pictures show various forms of each shape. After each shape is introduced, a question like, "what other circles do you see?" are included allowing for dialogic reading, conversation, and talking. The rhyming/rhythmic text aids with phonological awareness.
Kelly
Beautiful illustrations and culturally rich text. However, there wasn't really an underlying story, and I like to have that even in shapes/colors/counting/ABCs books. (For example, Mouse Paint is a book about colors that also has a satisfying story with a beginning, middle, and end.)
Sharena
I love how this book celebrates the Chinese culture. It teaches shapes along with things from the asian origin. This is a good cultural book for young children. You can follow this book up with an art activity like making a "Chinese Lantern." The children will love the project.
Brooke
i used this when i taught 3rd grade to discuss two-dimensional figures and also to compare common polygons in western culture and eastern culture. a cute and useful book. i think i'll send it home this year with my middle-schoolers to read to their younger siblings.
Paul
What is the shape of thought? Roundtable or square dancing? Loveliness! Liveliness!
Beth Huffman
This book would be a perfect book to teach students shapes. The best feature is that it encourages the reader to look for the shapes it talks about. This book also has a glossary explaining new words the child might read.
Angela
Some of the shapes were a bit of a stretch - the rectangular window as a square, or the cups as round. The best part was the little glossary at the end that told more about the cultural background of some of the book's items.
Japonika Finch
This is a great book to learn about diffrent types of shapes. This book even shows how the shapes the students are trying to learn are all around them in their every day life. Great book for teaching shapes to lower grade levels.
Michael D.
I like this book1 The book uses an Asian character to introduce round, square, and rectangular things that are located within a variety of environmental contexts. Students are invited to find the shapes in objects.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lots of Dots
  • My Cold Plum Lemon Pie Bluesy Mood
  • Backseat A-B-See
  • Visiting Day
  • What Can You Do with a Rebozo?
  • Say Hello!
  • What a Wonderful World
  • My Diary from Here to There/Mi diario de aquí hasta allá
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
  • Orani: My Father's Village
  • Color Zoo
Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes Red is a Dragon: A Book of Colors Fly Free Green Is a Chile Pepper: A Book of Colors Tummy Girl