Start by marking “Granny Dan” as Want to Read:
Granny Dan
Preview

Granny Dan

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  4,664 ratings  ·  199 reviews
In my eyes she had always been old, always been mine, always been Granny Dan. But in another time, another place, there had been dancing, people, laughter, love. . . . She had had another life before she came to us, long before she came to me. . . .
Published 2000 by Corgi (first published 1999)

Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Lost Symbol by Dan BrownAn Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon
The "Can't Wait" Book of '09
226th out of 437 books — 2,069 voters
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniBattle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
Liked
146th out of 149 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather *Thermonuclear Bomb of Death*
This is the only Danielle Steel book I've read and it's doubtful I'll be reading others. I'm probably the only reviewer who thought this book was terrible. Besides that the storyline was nothing short of gag-inducing, there were so many run-on sentences it didn't even seem like the book had been edited. It was supremely awful.
Mitch
I have only read one Danielle Steel book before, and that was "Happy Birthday". I was mega impressed by it, so when my friend Sara gave me a copy of "Granny Dan" I was eager to read it. And although it wasn't as memorable or lasting to me as "Happy Birthday" was, I will admit I was entertained the entire book and read it in two sittings. It was a page turner, but I didn't find anything super unique about the story. I almost feel like there should have been half a book more of the story.

We are ta
Eileen
I guess we all know that Danielle Steel is not one of the best authors around, a lot of her books are very cheesy, not very original and predictable, but she also wrote a few nice ones. This is not one of my favorites, but it's a nice and easy read and I like ballerinas and a good love story. My actual rating is 3,5 stars.

After Danina's death her grand-daughter discovers that her grand-mother was once a very talented young ballet dancer who fell in love with the much older and married Nicolaj wh
Carey Henderson
I'll start off with the positives: the storyline kept my attention enough for me to finish the novels & I liked the epilogue.

That about sums up my positives.

I have a very, very hard time liking a novel where adultery is justified (if you've read my past book reviews you'll notice a pattern concerning that topic). Even if the book is fantastic, when the author tries to convince the reader that the character's love affair was okay because...such & such...it's a dealbreaker for me.

Having l
Krissy
I've only read a few Danielle Steel novels but so far they have all been about same.

1. A great forbidden love - check
2. The couple must make a long journey in order to be together - check
3. They will be staying with a relative of the male love interest - check
4. (view spoiler) - check
5. (view spoiler) - check

So though this was a decent book and Ms S
Natàilia
I read this book when I was fourteen. It was the first Danielle Steel book I saw in my life and Degas painting I had a lot of attention. So after much insisting my mother finally bought it. I never thought at that time that I would meet a beautiful story about ballet, nostalgia and imperial Russia of the last tsars.

Although it's in the first person by a witness narrator, it makes clear that the story is about her grandmother, or as she knew, Granny Dan an "eccentric" woman who cooked biscuits on
Julie
I very much enjoyed the historical portions.

Before reading Granny Dan I re-read Zoya (my favorite Danielle Steel with ballet and Romanovs)and now I can feel the great love of the ballet as a child rekindling.

There are unfortunately points where you stop and say to yourself..."This is a really hokey love story." And it is, but I continued to read it anyway.

FYI: Audio....not so great. The narrator is male, which bothers me because I'm supposedly seeing this story through the eyes of a girl/woman
Katie
Delilah Trenaman
I really liked this book. The story makes you realize that the different people in your life do or did have a different life outside of the one you share with them. Maybe we should take the time to ask questions of these people so that maybe we could find the person they are outside their relationship with us. We amy be surprised. I wish that I had asked more questions of my grandparents.
Prettywitch
Ritka gyenge karakterábrázolások, annyira, hogy karaktereknek nevezni talán túlzás is, inkább sablonok. Egyszerű történetvezetés, egyszerű nyelvezet.

Érdekes, hogy Danielle Steelnek vannak jó, fordulatos regényei érdekes hősökkel, és vannak ehhez hasonló jóval gyengébb művei is.

Még rajongóknak sem ajánlom, másoknak - ahogy nekem is - időpazarlás.
Tracey L.
Danielle Steel cannot write. While she sometimes has good storylines, her superficial and hackneyed storytelling manner is more akin to an average person summarizing a book rather than an author actually writing one. Her ongoing popularity astounds me.
Beth
Excellent book but it reminded me of Zoya a little. This again was beautiful written and made my imagination run wild. Not many others can make you visualise what your are reading but steel can do this. A recommended read.
Chris
This will be the last Danielle Steele book I ever intend to read. She's so one dimensional. There's so much more she could do with her plot and characters and she wastes all of it on trite writing.
Auntie Pam
Voglio tralasciare la trama d'amore, la passione per la danza e la la disciplina ferrea che ne deriva. Vorrei passare oltre a questo bel romanzo rosa ambientato nella fredda Russia ad inizio del Novecento dove zar e zarine si ritrovano faccia a faccia con la rivoluzione. Vorrei prendere spunto dalla fine del romanzo, una frase mi ha particolarmente toccato: "Perchè crediamo che i vecchi siano sempre stati vecchi?". Ecco, spesso dietro quelle facce solcate da rughe riusciamo a leggere poco o null ...more
Marilyn
I bought MANY copies of this book and gave them to several relatives. I was TRYING to make a point. Unfortunately, I think they completely missed my point.

Ask ALL the questions you can while you can because one day those people (aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.) will be gone and you will no longer be able to ask anything.

This was predictable IF you know something about Russian history. I cried as I read this and then I listened to it as a book on tape while driving and even KNOWING what was com
Shannon
This is my favorite book. I can just read or listen to it again and again. It is a wonderful story!
Anne
Granny Dan, the sweet old Russian born grandmother had been around most of her life. But when she dies, a box of letters is all she has left and they tell the story of a fascinating life, a tragic love and escape to America. Dani was raised in the life of a Russian ballerina. she became famous and suffers an accident. having met the royal family through her dancing, the Tsar and Tsarina give her a cottage on their country property of Tsarskoye-Selo and the use of their own private doctor. I trul ...more
Cheryl
Loved this book!
Melva Yolla
dramatic story...
Carol
o She was the cherished grandmother who sang songs in Russian, loved to roller-skate, and spoke little of her past. But when Granny Dan died, all that remained was a box wrapped in brown paper, tied with string. Inside, an old pair of satin toe shoes, a gold locket, and a stack of letters tied with ribbon. It was her legacy, her secret past, waiting to be discovered by the granddaughter who loved her but never really knew her. It was a story waiting to be told. . . .
o 06/2010 – 6 – I liked it
Tammy
This was a sweet short story about a young woman who loses her grandma. She had a close relationship with her grandma but she finds out things she never knew about her. After her grandmother dies, the nursing home gives the young woman a box of mementos that were in the closet. In this box she finds ballet slippers, and live notes tied in a bundle along with other special trinkets and mementos. As she reads these letters she discovers that grandma was once a well known ballerina in Moscow and th ...more
Kristy
I enjoyed reading Danielle Steel again. This wasn't my favorite novel written by her, but it got increasingly better the more you read. I love reading about dancing and the ballet. Its a hard life and Danina fulfills the definition of what it is to live, eat, and breathe ballet. The novel is filled with everything from determination, to sacrifice. It teaches us, that sometimes we love something so much and are truly meant to do something, but life winds up with different plans for us. I have alw ...more
Enay nanay

Novel Danielle stell yg pertama yg aku baca.bagus juga

bercerita tentang grany dan alias danina.mantan balerina rusia.

waktu muda dia jatuh cinta sama nikolai seorang dokter,yg ngobatin dia selama dia sakit,padahal nikolai dah punya istri dan anak.tp nikolai gk bahagia sama pernikahannya.

pas baca ini kok ngerasa danina tuh penyakitan,bentar2 sakit trus yg terakhir kakinya patah gara2 loncat indah .

gara2 perang nikolai nyuruh danina buat pergi ke vermoth,amerika.biar dia aman,dan mereka bakal tingg
M/Ðɑηηɑ
I did not enjoy this book.
On the surface, there was nothing not to like about this book, but Steele is not the best of writers, if you consider "medium-pace" an indicator: she was so, so slow, and I felt like slowing down with her. This is the third book of her that I read, and I seriously did not like any of them but I've kept trying.
The plot stamp behind me as I kept reading. Slow, did I mention it? Well, it appears that Steel has gone crazy. Her main character, Danina was the romance-book-bad
Mom
Granny Dan had been a ballet star in Russia.
She lost her mother at a young age. Her dad was in the army along with her 4 brothers. Her dad had no idea what to do with a little girl. After 2 years of having someone take care of her, he took her to Madame Markova's where she would learn ballet.
She learned to dance and pushed herself very hard to make Madame Markova proud of her.
She became sick with the flu. She had been asked by the czar to come to a house on their property and recover. This is wh
Justine Vero
I loved the way how this book is written. Though it has some "sensual scenes", the author wasnt that particular about it (which is good, in my own point of view) . I appreciated the way the author showed some discernment to her readers.

This book almost made me weep. haha.. I never read anything in my life like this.. An ending that was an "oxymoron" type. It has a sad but very beautiful ending (which i dont want to spoil, haha)

I came to realize that we do often neglect our grandparents. We often
Ashley
Granny Dan began with Granny Dan's granddaughter talking about how younger generations thing old people were always old, that they had no life before being old. The granddaughter is curious about who her grandmother was when she was younger, before children and grandchildren. Granny Dan died a few years ago and she feels it is important to know who her grandmother really was. She begins the search for any clues of her past, she is then given a few items from the nursing home where Granny Dan had ...more
Butterblume
Ein Buch, das mich nicht mehr losgelassen hat.Fesselnd,voller Emotionen und sehr bewegend.
Inhalt
Danina verliert sehr früh ihre Mutter und wird von ihrem Vater und ihren drei großen Brüdern in eine Ballettschule geschickt. Dort wird schnell klar das sie die geborene Tänzerin ist. Sie lernt schnell und voller Eifer ,und schon bald ist sie eine beliebte Primaballerina.
Als sie schwer erkrankt, lernt sie den fürsorglichen Arzt Nikolai kennen, der sie im Palast der Zarin liebevoll pflegt. Beide verlie
Audrey Coutinho
I am not a Danielle Steel fan - I tried reading one or two books by her and couldn't read beyond a few pages because I just couldn't stand her writing style. But when a friend of mine said I "have to read Granny Dan," I took it on as a challenge (and because of the ballerina on the cover - I love ballerinas.)

The book was a little difficult to get through for me, because when Steel describes everything as 'delicious,' 'magical' and 'dazzling,' it makes me want to pull my hair out and scream. And
Melanie
It has been a while since I read a Danielle Steele book. Granny Dan was okay. My major issue with it was the ballet was Danina's reason for living then it was a man, and the two could not co-exist. Yet, she is able to give up her former life? I do liked the final chapter when the narrator has found out the history of Granny Dan and realizes how little she did know her. Get to know your parents and grandparents.
Danielle Steel Bo...: Granny Dan 1 1 Nov 20, 2012 08:47PM
  • Danielle Steel
  • The Secret Spanish Love Child (Modern Romance)
  • Love at First Sight
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • To Catch a Thief (The Calamity Janes, #3)
  • The Power of the Legendary Greek
  • Love in Another Town
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • Stand By Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride (Harlequin Romance, No. 3855)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Bride's Awakening (Modern Romance)
  • Tilly Trotter Widowed
  • Wages of Sin
  • Make Your Move (Harlequin Blaze, #542)
  • Ellis Island
  • Mother, Please!
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things