Start by marking “McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)” as Want to Read:
McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)

McNally's Risk (Archy McNally #3)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  1,723 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Sex, scandal, and suspicion. Palm Beach playboy sleuth Archy McNally is seduced by the very temptress he's been hired to investigate. Theodosia Johnson has a past as provocative as her butterfly tattoo. And a future as questionable as her shocking flirtations with marriage, McNally, and murder.
Published July 1st 1994 by Berkley (first published 1993)

Karen
Jan 01, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
I love the McNally series. As always, a combination of humor and drama. In many ways, they are similar to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels.

I like Sanders a lot. I love the fact that he can write in such different genres. Although I know what to expect from his McNally series, it is always a pleasant surprise to read any of his other books.
Sharyn
May 06, 2015 Sharyn rated it really liked it
I am just plowing through this series. I love Archie and his sartorial pleasures. The description of the food, the women, how he loves his car, the life he leads, really fun to read. I love the Yiddish words thrown in, and of course the mysteries. Every character is distinct and necessary. I like that the sex is not described, and hope he may eventually be faithful! Archie is not equal to Myron Bolitar and John Cory in my mystery men crushes.
Faryal Rizvi
May 29, 2017 Faryal Rizvi rated it it was amazing
Tooo good loved it to the end
Ed
Feb 14, 2010 Ed rated it liked it
Recommends it for: P.I. and Crime fiction fans
I never imagined myself reading a Lawrence Sanders novel. I was leaving on a short trip and this was one of the thinnest books on my shelf so I grabbed it on my way out the door.

The protagonist, Archy McNally, a Palm Beach P.I., is an interesting character with the requisite number of skills and foibles. In this case he runs into an accomplished con-man and his excruciatingly beautiful daughter.

Most of the other characters are fairly well drawn and interesting. A few are pure caricatures. The pl
Karen B.
Mar 14, 2015 Karen B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Archy McNally is at it again. Sent by his father to investigate what appears to be a simple situation -- a rich, socialite client wants the woman her son wants to marry investigated. Of course it becomes much more than that as murders start to occur. Can the seemingly unrelated murders be related? Archy has a feeling they are. Meanwhile being the typical Archy he becomes involved with another woman, the one he is supposed to be investigating.
Lots of twists and turns as Archy dresses in his uncon
Jackie
Feb 18, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
This is another fun Archy McNally murder mystery in the setting of the rich in West Palm. I love the stretching vocabulary (stodgy, chatelaines, pater,pourboire) and the descriptions of Archy’s outfits (including his hats)-pale pink linen suit with a deep lavender polo shirt of Sea Island cotton, tasseled white loafers without socks ---- always in my mind’s eye, I can picture this character and actually can think of couple characters in my real life that can pull it off!!!!! I am beginning to en ...more
George Henry
Apr 23, 2016 George Henry rated it it was amazing
First Lawrence Sanders book I've read and I'll be back to read more of the McNally series. I was impressed by its fun style—I became immersed in the witty Archy McNally's lifestyle with his parents while he hobnobbed with the Florida elite and solved the mystery of the beautiful, enigmatic Theodosia Johnson and a series of murders. Sanders develops wonderful characters who decorate a fast-paced, engaging story. Highly recommended.
John
Apr 03, 2016 John added it
Joy
Feb 24, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
Madam X (aka Theodosia) is so gorgeous men can't think straight about her. Investigator Archy is one of the many in a blissful state of delirium. But her father has a very sinister friend and no recorded past. Archy is determined to put a stop to the deaths in Theodosia's vicinity.

I'm enjoying the McNally mysteries. Archy is simultaneously insouciant and dedicated, an amusing combination that will pour smoothly down your throat.
Bonnie
Oct 29, 2014 Bonnie rated it liked it
I read these three Archy McNally tales in a three book volume I found at a second hand store. I see in the front that there are 4 more in the series, which I'm definitely going to try to read. In this one, I noticed how many words the narrator uses that I've had to look up - somewhat obscure words, but accurately used. So it does have an educationally redeeming quality! At any rate, good reading.
Wysteria
Nov 30, 2011 Wysteria rated it it was ok
This book was mind-numbing. My mother gave me the first 5 of them and I have yet to figure out why. Maybe she just didn't want them anymore. I am not a hundred-percent sure my mother has ever read them, actually. She would have hated them too.

The rest of the review is here: http://antiquestar.blogspot.com/2012/...
John Grazide
Jun 19, 2016 John Grazide rated it liked it
That Archy is a rascal. A simple discrete inquiry leads to three dead bodies. All of which revolve around a new beauty. Who quickly grabs Archy's attention (and a little more). One of the victims has a dark secret that I haven't encountered with this author before (only my third book) but added a little more depth to the character. And it was handled as well as could be.
Murrill
Apr 25, 2014 Murrill rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Archy McNally is his usual incorrigible self--smart, witty, and charming. Another one of his "discreet inquiries" uncovers more than originally promised, but Archy links the pieces. These books move at a quick pace and without growing stale. A good refresher after serious reads.
Tara Hall
Dec 19, 2012 Tara Hall rated it really liked it
A great book, one I had kept to reread as I enjoy the offbeat mystery/light romance/HEA/suspense feel of this author, who I can't compare to anyone else. Am going to see if I can find more by this author, as it left me feeling upbeat and was a nice respite from the hectic holidays.
Christine Skebo
The Risk was a Brisk Read

Great character development and description of lavish life in Florida. I especially enjoyed the words used to describe activities in the book. A good read.
Rahul Kulhalli
Sep 04, 2016 Rahul Kulhalli rated it really liked it
Archibald McNally has probably become my favorite fictional character. His playboy charm, his '800 watt' smile, and the meticulous ways in which Sanders describes his daily life; it makes one want to be best friends with Archie. Definite must-read for all Sanders' fans!
Maggie
Mar 24, 2009 Maggie rated it really liked it
What can't you love about these books - the food descriptions alone are enough to keep me reading. I listened to this one on a road trip and was surprised at the voiced they used for Archie. He was actually masculine.
Maurean
Another fun installment of Archy McNally, Palm Spring's sleuth-about-town; I luv Sanders writing, how he mixes a smart, suspenseful whodunit, with amusing prose and a smooth wit, and he does it best with his McNally books.
Heather Ligman
Nov 06, 2012 Heather Ligman rated it liked it
Shelves: for-fun, mystery
for adults
John Graden
Jun 29, 2016 John Graden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series.

Never have I enjoyed looking up so many words as I have thanks to Archy and his vocabulary. I read 1, 2, and 3 in five days. Great fun.
Brian
Nov 18, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it
I loved the book. I especially loved the way it was written, as though he, the main character, was telling you, the reader, the story in person. All in all, a great read.
Strega
Jan 06, 2016 Strega rated it liked it
fun and fluffy mystery / detective story
nora
Jul 05, 2011 nora rated it it was amazing
i have re-discovered lawrence sanders, love his writng style! great book great characters!
Linda
Oct 15, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
Fun, light read. Amusing use of words as interesting as the story itself.
Frank Shedd
Sep 16, 2011 Frank Shedd rated it liked it
good
Jessie
Mar 25, 2009 Jessie rated it liked it
The McNally books are all quick and entertaining to read. I loved the description and found these books to be well worth reading.
Grace Dyck
Feb 03, 2013 Grace Dyck rated it really liked it
silly but fun
Jackie Simons
Read 6/94
Lucy
From a book written in 1993: "Privacy? It doesn't exist anymore. Not even if you're lucky enough to be dead" (39).
Ellen
Apr 05, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
silly and fun
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • Old Scores (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #3)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Echoes
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret (Archy McNally, #1)
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Caper (Archy McNally, #4)
  • McNally's Trial (Archy McNally, #5)
  • McNally's Puzzle (Archy McNally, #6)
  • McNally's Gamble (Archy McNally, #7)
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • McNally's Folly (Archy McNally, #9)
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi (Archy McNally, #11)

“Connie, have you been trying to call me?" No Archie. "Well, my phone has not been ringing all day, and I thought it might have been you.” 7 likes
“Eat, drink, smoke, swim in the ocean, play tennis, golf, and poker, watch polo, read trash, listen to pop singers, occasionally attend the theatre, opera, ballet, charity bashes, and private shindigs, buy clothes and trinkets, write to old friends, party with new friends, and sleep. I think that about covers it.” 0 likes