Start by marking “The Timothy Files” as Want to Read:
The Timothy Files

The Timothy Files (Timothy Cone #1)

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  497 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In this shattering story of urban crime, Sanders introduces Timothy Cone, a private eye who digs too deep into the murderous exploits of big business - and uncovers a twisted web of incest, drug addiction, and gut-wrenching violence...
Paperback, 1 page
Published July 1st 1988 by Berkley (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Timothy Files, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Timothy Files

Dharia Scarab
Apr 12, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Richard
Dec 27, 2014 Richard rated it it was ok
Not one novel, but three gritty novellas (?) or novelettes. The 380 pages are about evenly split between the three stories all concerning Timothy Cone, his boss/sex partner and how they handled different jobs investigating Wall Street shenanigans.

The last story was impossibly long, since you knew what was happening by page three, but it takes the NYPD and our hero over 100 pages to figure out if the investments are a swindle.

Mr. Sanders can be a good write, but this is not his best, or even good
John Mcconahey
He is a Vietnam vet and he owns a table and three chairs. He sleeps on a mattress on the floor and his occasional guests drink from emptied jelly jars – make that – drink ALOT from emptied jelly jars. Cleo, his neutered cat, is regularly fed such fare as moldy cheddar and turkey salami, but Cleo will eat anything. He’s having a relationship with his manager, Samantha. Timothy Cone is an investigator for Haldering and Company, a firm headed by a retired FBI agent whose function is to do corporate ...more
Maurean
Jun 03, 2008 Maurean rated it liked it
Sanders has long been a favorite storyteller of mine, whose characters I always enjoy. This one was no different, in that respect.
This particular tale centered on Timothy Cone, a rough-around-the-edges private detective for Haldering & Co., a Wall Street firm specializing in corporate intelligence; buyouts, takeovers and mergers. Through the book, we follow three specific cases that he was working: The first, a murderous real estate conglomerate; the second, a fertility clinic devoted to m
Kay
Jun 26, 2015 Kay rated it it was amazing
Discovered that "Files" meant just that, this is a book of 3 "files," 3 cases, 3 stories.
"It's a drizzly day, the sky steel, the light brass, the air tasting of a copper penny."
A breezy read with a depth-charge of solid plotting, believable investigation and memorable characters. Yup, just love Timothy Cone, one of "Wall Street's 'specialists in corporate intelligence.'" Have always like reading Lawrence Sanders, and this discovery makes me want to pick up a few more.
Pamela
Sep 26, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Pamela by: no one
Three files. Three short stories? Very interesting mysteries. Financial private investigator Timothy Cone. Hired to investigate this company for that company... would they be a good company to buy, etc. But when things don't add up he won't turn loose. Not even if they get hot for him or his girl. Good book.
Marcia Bergeron
Jun 30, 2014 Marcia Bergeron rated it it was amazing
Three books in one featuring Timothy Cone. I enjoyed each one immensely, which is odd, considering I don't normally enjoy shorter stories. I loved the characters & Cleo, the tomcat. Perfect poolside reading.
Bonnie Murray
Mar 25, 2014 Bonnie Murray rated it really liked it
I liked this book, three short stories. I'll be reading more from this author :)
Dottie West
Apr 19, 2014 Dottie West rated it liked it
Better read as three distinct books with a little time in between. Some of the descripitions got too repititious, though would have been helpful if read with a time-lapse between books.
Nana Aboagye
Oct 13, 2014 Nana Aboagye rated it really liked it
Interesting and full of suspense but not to be read on an empty stomach. The characters are eating all the time.
Kate O'Connell
Enjoyed this very much!
Chazzle
Dec 20, 2007 Chazzle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lawrence Sanders fans; maybe Fletch fans
Not a great book, but just what the doctor ordered at this point. I almost gave it four stars, but it did seem to get a bit repetitious at times, going to the same wells for more water, saying the same things over and over, repeating itself...

I did like the lead character, who bends the rules, but knows what's important. Besides, he's rather funny at times.
John Gentry
Jan 05, 2012 John Gentry rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
a cheesy wall street investigator book which reads like the author had nothing in mind other than making the 3 individual short stories into a tv show of sorts. definitely entertaining though and easy to blow through on your downtime.
Loren
Oct 12, 2007 Loren added it
Recommends it for: Trcia and Keri
Since I read Beowulf and Frankenstein for work, my pleasure reading tends to be lighter and a bit more "fun." I like this book because the characters are great! You care about them and want to see them again from chapter to chapter.
Lorma
Apr 04, 2012 Lorma rated it really liked it
This is the very first Lawrence Sanders books I read.....seems I loved one genera of writing in the 80's...Mysteries!!!!

This story introduces Timothy Cone to us...a vietnam vet, turned private eye.Very entertaining.
Paul
Jul 03, 2013 Paul rated it it was ok
A friend thought I might like this and gave me his old paperback, so I read it. I found it a little dull, but not bad. I might read something else by Mr. Sanders, but then again I might not.
Sibylle
Timothy Cone and his relationship with his cat Cleo is amusing.
I love main characters who are lacking in personal hygiene and like to drink and smoke.
Brian
Aug 30, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
Great story albeit a little seedy in places.
Velvetink
May 03, 2014 Velvetink rated it liked it
5/5/14 loaned to pop
Cws
M San
Serena Bloom
Serena Bloom rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
D.M. Dondero
D.M. Dondero rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
  • Juggling for the Complete Klutz
  • Playgrounds of the Mind
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Dave Barry's Guide to Marriage and/or Sex
  • The Last Raven  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #7)
  • Homegoing
  • Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation
  • Artifact of Evil (Greyhawk Adventures, #2)
  • The Hill
  • The Mysterious West
  • The Red Fox
  • Airborne: A Guided Tour Of An Airborne Task Force
  • The Dreadful Lemon Sky (Travis McGee #16)
  • The Omega Command  (Blaine McCracken, #1)
  • Eureka
  • Before the Dawn (Dark Angel, #1)
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Futureland
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Timothy Cone (2 books)