Start by marking “The Lovers” as Want to Read:
The Lovers

The Lovers

Scott was a child star, and had all the pitfalls of his profession, including drugs and a controlling, partying mom. Now he's clean, putting his life back together, and acting in a nationally known soap opera. Things are going great until his mother shows up, demanding money, threatening to out him to the entertainment world unless he coughs it up.
While Scott hates the bla
Published August 2008 by Torquere Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lovers

Ami
Feb 25, 2010 Ami rated it really liked it
I haven't known Sara Bell's work long; only know her for the last couple of days after reading her story in an Anthology: Eternal Darkness (her character there reminds me of Harry Dresden) and I like her writing style. So I try to find her other stories and love what I read so far.

For a novella, this one sure jams pack a lot of punches on its slevees. It's an all around classic love story, that sort of epic by itself. Hollywood epic, I mean. Like one you see in a TV drama. It covers family matt
Deeze
This is my favourite short story by Sara Bell.

The emotion in this short story rivals longer novel reads.

This short brought tears to my eyes while I fell totally in love with Zane and Scott. There was also a healthy amount of anger towards Scott’s mum.

Have your tissues ready not just for Zane and Scott’s anguish, but for the totally HEA epilogue.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5-4*
Totally sweet story! Maybe a bit too idealistic, but sometimes that's ok! :)
Except for the evil mother, everyone was great and supportive and all jellybeans and sunshine and flowers ...
Great read for a light feel good happy read! :)
Elisa Rolle
This story is more Hollywood style than the Hollywood's world in which it's setting!

Scott is a 29 years old former child star now stuck in a soap opera role after his mother dissipated all his money in drugs and parties. Scott has the same reputation as his fiction role, a womanizer, but instead he is gay and in the closet, and his lover is even more in the closet than him. Zane is a macho man superstar with five children from a previous marriage and a very strictly catholic upbringing. Togethe
Arthur
Feb 13, 2012 Arthur rated it it was amazing
A really nice novella about what's the most important thing in life.
(view spoiler)
Lauren
Sep 29, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
This was wonderful, and I even shed a few tears. What a beautiful love story - Sara Bell really is the perfect author if you're looking for short, sweet and incredibly moving romance stories. I loved the epilogue too, was just the perfect ending :)
Ravyn
Mar 23, 2010 Ravyn rated it liked it
I am such a sucker for gay romance novels that feature famous actors or musicians as lead characters. I'm not sure what it is that appeals so much to me: the whole coming-out-of-the-closet routine, the drama involved in such a public arena, or perhaps the typical dysfunctional and/or lonely past suffered by said closeted stars? While this novella makes a great start at telling this type of complicated story I love, I just wish it were longer so that it could deal with all the issues more fully. ...more
Cindi
Jun 12, 2012 Cindi rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2012
I'm normally not big on books where any of the characters are celebrities (actors, rocks stars, etc.) but this one was really quite good.

Scott is a former child actor who is trying to make his way back in the industry by working at a popular cable station soap opera. He is also gay and not out of the closet. Zane, a bigger actor than Scott, is Scott's lover and is also in the closet. Scott's mother, who was the direct cause of his career downfall, threatens to expose his homosexuality to a tabl
Phaney
Mar 23, 2013 Phaney rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Huh. Strangely enough, I really enjoyed this one. Yeah, yeah, the usual staples. Fame, riches, betrayal, marriage, progeny. But it was still a really sweet story. Simple, but sweet. The fact that the protagonists had already been lovers for a while at the beginning of it, something that usually puts me off, really worked in the story’s favour here, as did the dual perspective.

So yeah. Despite the odd (fourteen years later, seriously?) epilogue, this story gave me a fuzzy feeling.

Plus I really re
UnusualChild{beppy}
Synopsis:
Scott is a former child actor who had the requisite drug problems and a wretched mother. He is also in the closet, along with his lover, Zane. Zane runs a company, has an ex-wife and children, and has no intention of ever coming out. Scott has a role on a soap, and when his mother shows up threatening to out him, he and Zane have to make choices on how they want to react.

What I liked: that Scott and Zane were their own person, and that each made a decision about whether or not to come o
melek
Scott had a bad life partying and drugs that didnt go well when partying with your mum too. While scott managed to clean his life his mum was another story.
So now that scott been clean and has an great career and a man he loves. His mum is blackmailing to come out. He has a choose to come out and lose the man he loves. Or just be blackmailed by him mum. And whatever happens Zane and scott are so wonderful together and they truly did make a great family in the end...
Karen
Oct 25, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars--I'm in the middle of a Sara Bell marathon--her short stories are surprisingly good and varied. Highly recommend one of her reads if you have a spare hour or so.

The Lovers is a sweet, though sometimes a bit overly emotional, read.
Mortalform
Jan 04, 2014 Mortalform rated it liked it
Another shortie by Sara Bell, reads a bit like a writing exercise inspired by the tarot card it was named for but not bad. Predictable like most of her stuff but what can you do in so few pages when you wants you a happy ending?
Meggie
Dec 21, 2012 Meggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts, romance
This story can be called an oldie, but them, we can even state it's definitely a beautiful gem of a story, too. The main storyline is serious even hard, but really well written. I liked both MC's.
Overall, Sara Bell did a wonderful work here.
Chris
Oct 17, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2010, ebook
Another good m/m romance from Sara Bell about a soap opera star whose drug addict mother threatens to out him unless he pays her off (again).
Notta Chance
Notta Chance rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Serena Yates
Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2010
MariDAcanto
MariDAcanto rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
Mirka
Mirka rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2010
Staceyr
Staceyr rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Joana
Joana rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2011
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Marija
Marija rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
OkayKim
OkayKim rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Saya
Saya rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Bec
Bec rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Jess Candela
Jess Candela rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2009
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2012
Susanne
Susanne rated it really liked it
May 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Out of the Closet (The Closet, #1)
  • Lazy Valentines
  • Settling the Score
  • The Other Man
  • Prize Package
  • The Statue
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • Carol of the Bellskis (Bellskis, #1)
  • Clark's Story (The Making of a Man, #4)
  • Housekeeping
  • Mr. Plum
  • The Good Doctor
  • Something About Trevor
  • Soldier (Scarcity Sanctuary, #1)
  • Snagged
  • Keys to Love (Conquest, #3)
  • Lemon Yellow: Making Lemonade (Fruit Basket, #1)
Sara Bell lives in North Alabama with the world's sexiest, most supportive husband, the two most beautiful, gifted daughters on the planet, and two of the most neurotic but loveable dogs ever created. She's a full-time author who writes stories about never-ending love for all kinds of characters--gay, straight, and somewhere in-between. Sara still can't believe she gets paid to do something she lo ...more
More about Sara Bell...