Start by marking “Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Everything you need to know in one take-anywhere field guide!

This all-in-one guide from renowned photographer, instructor, and author Bryan Peterson will help you take better photos anytime, anywhere–with any camera.

Want to finally understand exposure? Interested in learning to "see" and composing your images more creatively? Ready to master the magic of light? It’s all
Published August 18th 2009 by Amphoto Books

Be the first to ask a question about Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide

Ian Russell
I've been into photography on and off for many years. I've had all the usual how-to manuals, by all the usual photographers, across those years. All rather dull, technically turgid and thoroughly counterproductive. Then, by chance, I noticed a Bryan Peterson book on the returns trolley in my local library - not this book but a section of it, understanding exposure. I borrowed it and then immediately ordered this field manual. Here's a review I prepared earlier;

This is a compact handbook written
I found this guy while searching youtube for photography tutorials.

I found the book gave a really solid explanation, with plenty of before and after photos to show the difference in techniques. The end of the book became too deep for me, but I will go and reread that part in a few months.
Must have book! Very practical and suitable for those who learn photography.
Laura Barton
A friend of mine loaned me this book because I've been having trouble in a photography course, and it has helped me understand some things better for sure. The book is an easy read and the author uses a lot of great analogies to explain things. Not to mention there are so many fabulous pictures from the author's own collection, which he uses as examples to explain each aspect of photography that he's talking about. It's definitely a great book for beginners.
I would recommend to buy Understanding Exposure. I have both and find this was not necessary to buy..

For any query mail at / write at
This book was not what I am looking for at this time. More about composition
Dec 10, 2014 Isabel marked it as to-read
ginny sheller/small things
Jessica Nguyen
The illustrated photos are amazing. However, it's too technical for me to understand.
Laura Madsen
Some is redundant from Understanding Exposure, but a good overall tutorial.
I recently started learning more about photography and this book was a great starting point. Very helpful explanations of the basics of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and composing "creatively correct" exposures. I suspect even advanced amateurs and pros will find a few helpful nuggets in this "field guide." It's full of beautiful photos demonstrating the principles covered, and portable enough to keep in my camera bag and reference as needed. Loved it!
I love photography, I've always loved seeing the beauty of God's creations and capturing it on film. I haven't had a camera for ages and am going to be buying one soon, so I figured I would buff up on my photography know how. I loved this book. I wish I had read this years ago, when I was first interested in photography. This book is a basic what's what about photography. Good read
Very basic if you've been doing photography for a long time. I picked up some tips, but mostly it was the same-old-same-old.
I do appreciate his explanation of the principles of design, however, since he goes into them more systematically than most photographers (almost as if he's ACTUALLY studied design, again unlike most photography writers!) All in all, a great book for a beginner.
I recently purchased my first DSLR so I have been looking for books that will help me gain a better understanding of photography and how to get the most out of my camera. This book fits the bill perfectly. The book is easy to understand and the photos throughout are beautiful. Check out his other books for more in-depth information on specific subjects/techniques.
Jan 13, 2011 Kelley added it
Since I teach an Intro Photo class, I'm in the process of reading many photo guides in order to give recommendations to my students. So far this one has some nice studies and tips.
I would highly recommend this book for beginning to intermediate photographers who are interested in understanding more and learning more techniques.
This is an excellent beginner-intermediate book for amateur photographers. Peterson does a great job explaining fundamentals while delving into more advanced techniques. The book is full of great examples that are apparently derived from several of his other books.
Awesome book .. must have for budding photographers .... The way the author explains the concepts is commendable .. I have read a few other photography books .. but they were kind of vague ... but not this one ...
Excellent field guide if you are an amateur photographer and want to learn to take photos more like the pros. This is one I am going to purchase.
Lesley Hooser
I love this book, I constantly refer to it.. written in plain language that makes everything easy to understand
LOVED this book. Taking "Understanding Exposure" to the next level. Absolutely great.
John Diaz
Excelente guía y ayuda!!!
Vivienne marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Black Light
Black Light marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Linda F. Arndt
Linda F. Arndt marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
jaq added it
Nov 10, 2015
Hoot marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs
  • Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images
  • The Digital Photography Book (Volume 2)
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • Complete Digital Photography (Graphics Series)
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression
  • The A-Z of Creative Photography
  • ترکیب بندی در عکاسی
  • Photo Idea Index: Explore New Ways to Capture and Create Exceptional Images with Digital Cameras and Software
Bryan F. Peterson has been a full-time commercial photographer since 1981, shooting assignments all over the world for many of the Fortune 500 companies, including Kodak, UPS, and American Expiress. He is also a contract stock photographer for Corbis and Getty. He has been a contributing editor at Outdoor Photographer Magazine and is currently a contributing editor at Popular Photography and Imagi ...more
More about Bryan Peterson...