Start by marking “Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera” as Want to Read:

Everything you need to know in one take-anywhere field guide!

This all-in-one guide from renowned photographer, instructor, and author Bryan Peterson will help you take better photos anytime, anywhere–with any camera.

Want to finally understand exposure? Interested in learning to "see" and composing your images more creatively? Ready to master the magic of light? It’s all
Published August 18th 2009 by Amphoto Books

Be the first to ask a question about Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide

Ian Russell
Feb 05, 2012 Ian Russell rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-photography
I've been into photography on and off for many years. I've had all the usual how-to manuals, by all the usual photographers, across those years. All rather dull, technically turgid and thoroughly counterproductive. Then, by chance, I noticed a Bryan Peterson book on the returns trolley in my local library - not this book but a section of it, understanding exposure. I borrowed it and then immediately ordered this field manual. Here's a review I prepared earlier;

This is a compact handbook written
Cass
Nov 15, 2012 Cass rated it really liked it
I found this guy while searching youtube for photography tutorials.

I found the book gave a really solid explanation, with plenty of before and after photos to show the difference in techniques. The end of the book became too deep for me, but I will go and reread that part in a few months.
Andri
Dec 28, 2010 Andri rated it it was amazing
Must have book! Very practical and suitable for those who learn photography.
Jared
Apr 28, 2010 Jared rated it it was amazing
I recently started learning more about photography and this book was a great starting point. Very helpful explanations of the basics of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and composing "creatively correct" exposures. I suspect even advanced amateurs and pros will find a few helpful nuggets in this "field guide." It's full of beautiful photos demonstrating the principles covered, and portable enough to keep in my camera bag and reference as needed. Loved it!
Laura Barton
Jan 27, 2015 Laura Barton rated it it was amazing
A friend of mine loaned me this book because I've been having trouble in a photography course, and it has helped me understand some things better for sure. The book is an easy read and the author uses a lot of great analogies to explain things. Not to mention there are so many fabulous pictures from the author's own collection, which he uses as examples to explain each aspect of photography that he's talking about. It's definitely a great book for beginners.
Angela
Feb 26, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
I love photography, I've always loved seeing the beauty of God's creations and capturing it on film. I haven't had a camera for ages and am going to be buying one soon, so I figured I would buff up on my photography know how. I loved this book. I wish I had read this years ago, when I was first interested in photography. This book is a basic what's what about photography. Good read
Steph
Jul 28, 2012 Steph rated it really liked it
Very basic if you've been doing photography for a long time. I picked up some tips, but mostly it was the same-old-same-old.
I do appreciate his explanation of the principles of design, however, since he goes into them more systematically than most photographers (almost as if he's ACTUALLY studied design, again unlike most photography writers!) All in all, a great book for a beginner.
Kelley
Dec 01, 2010 Kelley added it
Since I teach an Intro Photo class, I'm in the process of reading many photo guides in order to give recommendations to my students. So far this one has some nice studies and tips.
I would highly recommend this book for beginning to intermediate photographers who are interested in understanding more and learning more techniques.
Leslie
Nov 18, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
I recently purchased my first DSLR so I have been looking for books that will help me gain a better understanding of photography and how to get the most out of my camera. This book fits the bill perfectly. The book is easy to understand and the photos throughout are beautiful. Check out his other books for more in-depth information on specific subjects/techniques.
Martin Ďurec
Moja najobľúbenejšia kniha o fotografovaní. Sručne a inšpiratívne hovorí o všetkých aspektoch amatérskej fotografie. Niekedy ma prepadne kríza - niečo robím zle/prečo táto fotka vyzerá takto...po prečítaní tejto knihy potom vždy schytím foťak, utekám von a radujem sa z toho, že ten istý strom sa dá odfotiť na 1000 spôsobov.
Kushagra
Awesome book .. must have for budding photographers .... The way the author explains the concepts is commendable .. I have read a few other photography books .. but they were kind of vague ... but not this one ...
Alessandro
Dec 16, 2009 Alessandro rated it really liked it
This is an excellent beginner-intermediate book for amateur photographers. Peterson does a great job explaining fundamentals while delving into more advanced techniques. The book is full of great examples that are apparently derived from several of his other books.
Lesley Hooser
Jun 02, 2012 Lesley Hooser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
I love this book, I constantly refer to it.. written in plain language that makes everything easy to understand
Manish
Jul 06, 2015 Manish rated it liked it
I would recommend to buy Understanding Exposure. I have both and find this was not necessary to buy..

For any query mail at manish.ray03@gmail.com / write at https://www.facebook.com/raysclicks
Isabel
Dec 10, 2014 Isabel marked it as to-read
ginny sheller/small things
John Diaz
Jul 21, 2012 John Diaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente guía y ayuda!!!
Mskychick
Jun 06, 2015 Mskychick rated it it was ok
Shelves: pc-library
This book was not what I am looking for at this time. More about composition
Laura (Madsen) McLain
Feb 19, 2015 Laura (Madsen) McLain rated it really liked it
Some is redundant from Understanding Exposure, but a good overall tutorial.
Susan
Jun 10, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: photography
Excellent field guide if you are an amateur photographer and want to learn to take photos more like the pros. This is one I am going to purchase.
Mohamed Jamal
Mohamed Jamal rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Jennie
Jennie rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Thiago
Thiago rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Floy Campbell
Floy Campbell rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2010
Lila P
Lila P rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2015
Enrique Barreiro
Enrique Barreiro rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2017
Tedalien
Tedalien rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Carlo Batin
Carlo Batin rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
antonio  gomes
antonio gomes rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Fernando
Fernando rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • Creative Nature and Outdoor Photography
  • Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
  • Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Visual Poetry: A Creative Guide for Making Engaging Digital Photographs
  • Digital Wedding Photography: Capturing Beautiful Memories
  • Complete Digital Photography
  • Photography and the Art of Seeing: A Visual Perception Workshop for Film and Digital Photography
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • Photo Op: 52 Weekly Ideas for Creative Image-Making
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • The A-Z of Creative Photography
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • Photo Idea Index
  • Presentations in Action: 80 Memorable Presentation Lessons from the Masters
82078
Bryan F. Peterson has been a full-time commercial photographer since 1981, shooting assignments all over the world for many of the Fortune 500 companies, including Kodak, UPS, and American Expiress. He is also a contract stock photographer for Corbis and Getty. He has been a contributing editor at Outdoor Photographer Magazine and is currently a contributing editor at Popular Photography and Imagi ...more
More about Bryan Peterson...