Shadowfae (Shadowfae Chronicles, #1)

Shadowfae (The Shadowfae Chronicles #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  777 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerize you with their song, and big green trolls bust heads at nightclubs. And once you’re in, there’s no escape…

Published October 13th 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Shadowfae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowfae

new_user
Sep 27, 2010 new_user rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the Maker Song series
HBO would love this series. Profanity, violence, sex, drugs, often all at once, but Shadowfae isn't generic in any category. Erica Hayes' fae are very elf and very punk, with human vices. Hayes completely reinvents the fae, vampires, and demons in a very human likeness so that they fit seamlessly into Melbourne's seedy side, where fae with claws and pretty, delicate wings also sell the most potent product and vampire mobsters war for territory. Hayes' prose is very well suited to this atmosphere...more
marlene
This book was not at all what i expected. I think over all it went beyond what i thought it was going to be, but it was quite the downer on the way. Really not a book to bring a smile to your face. It is described as dark, and there is no questioning it.

For a book about a succubus and and incubus i obviously expect a healthy dose of sex. This book is actually about 90 % sex and not once single scene of it is pleasant. Most of it is rape. There is blood rape, mental rape, and the blatant physical...more
Melindeeloo
Peppered with Fae, demons and vampires, with Shadowfae sets the stage for a dark romantic new urban fantasy series

Both leading lady succubus Jade and leading man incubus Rajah are enslaved to a demon and both long for the end of their servitude, they are forced to seduce and sometimes kill unable to resist the compulsion of their master's orders. But Rajah has discovered the way to win his freedom, a secret he shares with Jade - to be free, four special souls must be harvested, the only catch...more
harlequin {Stephanie}
Jade is a succubus enslaved to a demon, Kane. Rajahni is an incubus enslaved to the same demon. He learns of a way to break the bond by stealing four souls that match some latin? words on his bracelet or bond. They steal the souls when the body reaches it's climax. Shares this info with Jade since he is in deep puppy love with her. (view spoiler)...more
Tez
Yolanda Sfetsos
Erica's Melbourne isn't one any of us will ever see, and I think that's probably a good thing. The fae, demons, and vamps in this world aren't romantic and sweet. They're cruel, insatiable, and waiting to screw you over the first chance they get. They're all dangerous predators.

Jade is a succubus who belongs to a demon called Kane. She seduces men and steals their souls via some very gruesome ways. Then she vomits the souls into soultraps, but when she finds out that there's a way to break free,...more
gigi pryce
Here is what Amazon.co.uk says about Shadowfae:

In a world hidden behind shadowy fairy glamour, thieving spirits rob people blind, beautiful banshees mesmerise people with their song, big green trolls kick heads at nightclubs and sadistic vampire Mafiosi rule the streets. Jade, a succubus, is sick of a life spent seducing gangsters and murderers and simpering as a trophy girl for hell's minions. Her quest for freedom brings her face-to-face with Rajah - formidable adversary and irresistible lover...more
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Tynga
Jade was greedy as a human, craving for power, and got what she was looking for in a crazy twisted kind of way. She's a succubus. She got the power to enthrall men and suck their soul out of their body.

It wasn't what she was looking for, and after 140 years, she is blazée and depressed until she meets Rajah.Rajah, the incubus. She despise him and yet is drawn to him in a way she can't explain.She might not know yet, but he holds the key to her freedom. Will she be able to break her shackles?

Firs...more
Archer
From Fantasticfiction.com:

Imagine a secret world veiled in fairy glamour and brimming with unearthly delights. A city swarming with half-mad fairies, where thieving spriggans rob you blind, beautiful banshees mesmerize you with their song, and big green trolls bust heads at nightclubs. And once you're in, there's no escape.

Enslaved by a demon lord, Jade is forced to spend her nights seducing vampire gangsters and shapeshifting thugs. After two hundred years as a succubus, she burns for freedom a...more
Fiendishly Bookish
In Shadowfae, Hayes brings to life a sensory feast of glittering and dangerous creatures, an urban fantasy realm existing side by side with humans in the magnificent shadow of Melbourne. In the luminous underbelly of that cosmopolitan city breathes a current of life filled with incubi, demon lords, banshees, vampire syndicates, spriggans, fairies..the Shadowfae.

The lives of two entities take center stage in Hayes’ dark treat: Jade a succubus, and Rajah, and incubus form an unlikely partnership...more
Donna

Ever since I read the prequel Hellcursed a few months back, Shadowfae has been a book I've been looking forward to reading. I found Shadowfae to be a very intense, dark, erotic story that was at times disturbing, in a fascinating way. With Jade being a succubus, I was expecting a sensually charged read, which I did get but I also got a look at the unsavory, darker side of being a succubus enthralled to a demon lord's every command. This gave Shadowfae a very gritty and raw edge.

As far as the cha

Isa Lavinia
This book started off really well and, to be perfectly honest, ended well. But the more I read of it, the lower I wanted to rate it. Bear with me, I know I'm not making sense.

The writing is exquisite. Hayes has a way with words, with just a few of them she paints a vivid scene. Look at this:

"They’d whispered in dark ocean grottoes with demons"

That simple, but can't you just picture it? Isn't it lovely?
The whole book is like this, and her writing style produced some very explicit, yet tasteful,...more
Katie(babs)
Dark, seductive and erotic are the perfect words to describe, Shadowfae, the debut release from Erica Hayes. Jade is a one-hundred forty year old succubus who is indentured to the demon lord Kane for a thousand years. She is forced to seduce and suck out the soul of the current victim she is with. She uses sex as a weapon, known as the rapture. Jade hates her immortal life but has no choice to do what Kane orders her to do. Kane loves Jade and wants her to love him, but because of his evil and s...more
Tiah
The idea for the plot was great, a succubus and incubus trying to free themselves of their "slavery" from the demon Kane but it fell short for me. There was sex on almost every page. If it wasn't the act itself it was of the characters fantasizing about it. I know that there will be sex from a book with a succubus as the main character but it was too much. I felt that the storyline was sacrificed in order to add more sexual content. Ms. Hayes did create an interesting world but it was also dirty...more
Melissa
Aug 24, 2012 Melissa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Four books. In my whole life I've only never finished four books.

This is one of them.

The summary is deceiving. It paints a gritty world full of mythical creatures living side-by-side with mortal humans. A succubus yearning to break free of her thrall to a demon overlord. Sounds interesting, right?

What you get is sex-sex-sex-drugs-faeries exploding-sex-vomiting-sex-sex-more vomiting-sex-drugs-alcohol-sex-more drugs and vomiting-blood-vomiting blood-sex-death-more sex-sex ... You get my drift.

Ther...more
Carolyn F.
Very dark with a kind of psychotic happy ever after. The next book doesn't seem to be about the same characters, so I'll put it on my eventual read list.

Jade and Rajah are enslaved succubus/incubus by a demon lord who just wants to be loved. That's the part I didn't get, why would he be so fixated with Jade? There's a lot of soul sucking going on with throwing up afterward. Do not read this book if you are eating or have just ate.
Andrea
**Couldn't finish

Shadowfae started out having potential to be a good read. However, it failed. I like a bit of sexiness in the books I read, but this was taken way overboard, to the point of ridiculousness. An easy comparison to this book is Ramen noodles... all substance, no nutrition.
D.A. Lascelles
Quite possibly one of the richest prose styles I have ever read. Well worth a read for anyone looking for urban fantasy with sexy overtures.
Shayna
Honestly, don't quite remember it because I read it so long ago but I did just get really excited that there are other books in the series
Cathleen Ross
Fairies on smack.It's brilliantly written but a tough read because the heroine is trapped in such a miserable world.
Amanda-Lee (StoryWings)
Shadowfae was as interesting as it was hot.

Jade is your perfect gritty character. She was a nun who has pretty much turned into a paranormal crack-whore. To live she needs to feed off the energy of a person’s climax and the energy of her demon master, Kane.

Our story is set in Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne is infamous for it’s dangerous night life and gang land wars. According to Hayes, a lot of the side gangs and drug runners are supernatural beings. We see their stories unfold in the Chronicl...more
Jesse Dixon
I didn't enjoy this book all that much. When I decided to read it I thought it was going to be a mixture of romance and traditional fantasy i.e. fairies, trolls, maybe even a dwarf or seven, but wasn't I in for a shock. It turns out that the book has more of an erotic genre, with a fantasy twist. It was about Jade, a succubus, who has to have sex to survive, who is enslaved by a demon lord. In other words she has a sex addiction to rival Tiger Woods'. She meets and falls in love with a man who h...more
Jessica (Taking It One Book at a Time)
Welcome to the streets of Melbourne, full of half crazed fairies, enchanting banshees, and soul sucking succubus. In a city that is being torn apart by feuding Vampire mafiosi, Jade finds herself right smack in the middle. Not only is she a succubus, but the arm candy for the powerful and dangerous.

Yearning for freedom from her demon master Kane, Jade thinks that she has finally found a way out of her 400 year sentence. Giving her the insight she needs to obtain her freedom is Rajah, an incubus...more
Stephanie
I found Shadowfae exciting and sexy. An underlying sense of urgency and danger made it thrilling. And frequent passionate and erotic scenes satisfied my love of paranormal romance. It has a certain Buffy appeal. Erica Hayes is an Australian author and despite small amounts of slang, her storytelling translates well to all audiences. There is no transparency to her writing. The plot was well rounded and kept you guessing.

I love the main heroine, Jade. She is sweet and innocent, or as innocent as...more
Lindsay
I liked the characters, although I admittedly liked the male characters better than the main female role. Jade came across as a little bi-polar: seemingly smart and then suddenly going and acting like a complete bimbo. There were times when I found it hard to believe that she could really be that dumb after 140 years of life.

My next point of contention was that the point of view was strange, jumping from first person POV and then suddenly third person omniscient. As I don't see what was gained...more
Jonathan
Jul 30, 2010 Jonathan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who have no idea what the hell succubi are
I probably should finish this before passing final judgement, but fuck it. This is trash. Reasons why:
-Its succubus eats mortal food.
-Its succubus drinks mortal wine.
-Its succubus looks people up on myspace.
-Its succubus lacks wings, horns, a tail, or any other distinguishing marks.
-Its world building is atrociously vague.
-The book constantly teases, trying to arouse without having actual sex scenes to pay it off.
-The sex isn't arousing and is often repetitive. One can only read "My breasts ache...more
Sally
Jul 28, 2011 Sally added it
I really enjoyed Shadowfae.

I love Melbourne and the descriptions of Melbourne in Shadowfae bring elements of it's overall character to life beautifully, evocatively and in vivid colour.

It also was true to the character of Melbourne's seedy underbelly (which has existed since it was first settled. That's what happens when a city is built on gold weath). However in this Melbourne, supernatural creatures, predominantly carefree, drug pushing fae and very nasty vampires, populate the underworld.

I...more
Sally
I really enjoyed Shadowfae.

I fo...more
Quinn
Shadowfae is the debut novel from Australian author Erica Hayes, and I see potential.

Hayes has created a complex and detailed world where fae, demons and vampires run amok in Melbourne, largely unbeknown to mortals due to their glamour. Her descriptions of these creatures were not unnecessarily detailed, but sufficient to spark your imagination, particularly the colourful, half-mad fairies with their quivering wings and magick potions available for the cost of a memory.

But this is not a happy wo...more
  • The Flame and the Shadow  (The  Four-Sided Pentacle, #1)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Wicked Enchantment (Dark Magick, #1)
  • Succubus in the City (Succubus, #1)
  • Seducing the Succubus (Sisters of Darkness, #1)
  • Queene of Light (Lightworld/Darkworld, #1)
  • The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)
  • Velvet Haven (Annwyn Chronicles, #1)
  • and Falling, Fly (Harrowing #1)
  • Night Rising (Vampire Babylon, #1)
  • Demons Not Included (Night Tracker, #1)
  • Ascension (Dark Breed, #1)
  • Motor City Fae (Urban Arcana, #1)
  • Shadows in the Darkness (Changeling, #1)
  • Woman King
  • Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1)
  • Cursed by Darkness (Befallen Tides, #1)
  • Demons Prefer Blondes (Demons Unleashed, #1)
2922003
Erica Hayes was a law student, an air force officer, an editorial assistant and a musician, before finally landing her dream job: fantasy writer. She writes dark paranormal romance, urban fantasy and romantic science fiction, and her books feature tough, smart heroines and colorful heroes with dark secrets.

She hails from Australia, where she drifts from city to city, leaving a trail of chaos behin...more
More about Erica Hayes...
Shadowglass (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #2) Poison Kissed (Shadowfae Chronicles, #3) Blood Cursed (Shadowfae Chronicles, #4) Revelation (The Seven Signs, #1) Hellcursed (Shadowfae, #0.5)