Start by marking “Life After Birth” as Want to Read:
Life After Birth

Life After Birth

Forget about the baby for just one minute; what about you?

New motherhood changes everything. Few women are prepared for the radical shifts in identity, emotional intensity and relations with friends, family and the father of their child. In this fully revised and updated edition of the classic book that first bust the conspiracy of silence surrounding the upheaval of new m
Published August 7th 2008 by Little, Brown

To ask other readers questions about Life After Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Birth

Julie
Feb 16, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I think some people may find it depressing or dark (because it departs from our widespread cultural values/fantasies/ideals of the archetypal mother & infant spending their days together in blissful harmony) but I thought it presented a very realistic and honest discussion about the challenges (and joys- she gets to those near the end) of parenthood. I am impressed that she so accurately describes many aspects of this experience and explains why it is so exhausting, what h ...more
Blueberry
At the beginning of the book, there's so much about the history of motherhood & especially post-partum-ness that I gobbled up greedily and quickly! Then, when I was too exhausted 3 nights in a row to finish the chapter called "Exhaustion", something also happened to my ability to finish the last third of the book. I got pretty tired of the writing style. However, I would reccommend this for all new parents (new moms especially) and all of those who know new moms. This book actually made me t ...more
Vicky Ashwell
Mar 07, 2013 Vicky Ashwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
By far the best book I have read so far for first time mum's. Thoroughly researched each chapter looks at a different issue faced by first time Mum's. The structure is basically the same for each chapter: the issues generally faced, the various ways this can make you feel, the history and reasons behind this, what you can do to help yourself and finally encouragement that you will come through the other side and if you find this aspect tough it really will get better.

Very informative and positiv
Mrs.soule
I wish I had read this before having my first child!
Teresa
Nov 01, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book contains tons of factual information, about the history of motherhood up to our modern day vision of what motherhood should be. I enjoyed all the information like others have said it is a bit on the dark side and meant to reassure you that if you aren't enjoying every moment of this experience you are not the first to encounter health, emotional and other difficulties.
Cheryl Griffith
Oct 15, 2013 Cheryl Griffith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always thought Motherhood would come naturally for me. When I had a hard time with my new role, I was surprised. This book touched on every aspect I was having a hard time with, it helped me work through it, and see motherhood in a new light. For anyone with post-traumatic stress or postpartum depression, this is the book I'd recommend.
Frangipani
Apr 27, 2007 Frangipani rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, prospective parents
I read this book as part of my preparation for becoming a parent for the second time. I wanted as much information as possible. Although this book alternately enraged me and reassured me I would still recommend it. Everyone's experience is different, and the author pays only lipservice to this concept IMHO.
Zoe
This book is quite British, no-nonsense, and funny. It's a very realistic, unromantic view of what it's like to be a mother. I especially love Chapter Nine: "Friends And The Outside World." I wish I had read it as a young woman who totally romanticized motherhood.
Michele
Apr 26, 2013 Michele rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book can be summarised in one key line which unfortunately doesn't come until page 143: "Perhaps I am my own worst enemy." Provoked a few thoughts, almost all of them about how my life is very different from the model that the author is working from.
Elyssa
Oct 08, 2007 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
This book is really accurate and it continues to frustrate me that the challenging realities of becoming a parent are not discussed more openly.
Alaxeria
Even though nothing can prepare you for life after birth.. it makes you feel better prepared at the least. mentally.
Soumiya Hussain
The harsh truth about life after delivering a child
Manuel Valencia
Nov 13, 2008 Manuel Valencia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GREEAAT
Trisha Puls
Trisha Puls rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2016
Desiree Hoving
Desiree Hoving marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Pauline
Pauline marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Kristen Spencer
Kristen Spencer marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Claire Long
Claire Long rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2015
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Courtney Bowen
Courtney Bowen marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Ellie M
Ellie M marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Abbie Carpenter
Abbie Carpenter rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Heather Williams
Heather Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015