Start by marking “Life After Birth” as Want to Read:
Life After Birth

Life After Birth

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Few women are prepared for the radical shifts in identity, emotional intensity, and changes in relationships that can occur following the birth of a child. This fully revised and updated guide explores the actual physical, psychological, and emotional consequences of giving birth and offers reassuring tips and helpful information to new mothers. Drawing on medical and hist ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Virago UK

To ask other readers questions about Life After Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life After Birth

Julie
What a great book! I think some people may find it depressing or dark (because it departs from our widespread cultural values/fantasies/ideals of the archetypal mother & infant spending their days together in blissful harmony) but I thought it presented a very realistic and honest discussion about the challenges (and joys- she gets to those near the end) of parenthood. I am impressed that she so accurately describes many aspects of this experience and explains why it is so exhausting, what h ...more
Blueberry
At the beginning of the book, there's so much about the history of motherhood & especially post-partum-ness that I gobbled up greedily and quickly! Then, when I was too exhausted 3 nights in a row to finish the chapter called "Exhaustion", something also happened to my ability to finish the last third of the book. I got pretty tired of the writing style. However, I would reccommend this for all new parents (new moms especially) and all of those who know new moms. This book actually made me t ...more
Vicky Ashwell
By far the best book I have read so far for first time mum's. Thoroughly researched each chapter looks at a different issue faced by first time Mum's. The structure is basically the same for each chapter: the issues generally faced, the various ways this can make you feel, the history and reasons behind this, what you can do to help yourself and finally encouragement that you will come through the other side and if you find this aspect tough it really will get better.

Very informative and positiv
Mrs.soule
I wish I had read this before having my first child!
Teresa
The book contains tons of factual information, about the history of motherhood up to our modern day vision of what motherhood should be. I enjoyed all the information like others have said it is a bit on the dark side and meant to reassure you that if you aren't enjoying every moment of this experience you are not the first to encounter health, emotional and other difficulties.
Cheryl Griffith
I always thought Motherhood would come naturally for me. When I had a hard time with my new role, I was surprised. This book touched on every aspect I was having a hard time with, it helped me work through it, and see motherhood in a new light. For anyone with post-traumatic stress or postpartum depression, this is the book I'd recommend.
Frangipani
Apr 27, 2007 Frangipani rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, prospective parents
I read this book as part of my preparation for becoming a parent for the second time. I wanted as much information as possible. Although this book alternately enraged me and reassured me I would still recommend it. Everyone's experience is different, and the author pays only lipservice to this concept IMHO.
Zoe
This book is quite British, no-nonsense, and funny. It's a very realistic, unromantic view of what it's like to be a mother. I especially love Chapter Nine: "Friends And The Outside World." I wish I had read it as a young woman who totally romanticized motherhood.
Michele
This book can be summarised in one key line which unfortunately doesn't come until page 143: "Perhaps I am my own worst enemy." Provoked a few thoughts, almost all of them about how my life is very different from the model that the author is working from.
Elyssa
This book is really accurate and it continues to frustrate me that the challenging realities of becoming a parent are not discussed more openly.
Alaxeria
Even though nothing can prepare you for life after birth.. it makes you feel better prepared at the least. mentally.
Soumiya Hussain
The harsh truth about life after delivering a child
Courtney Bowen
Courtney Bowen marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Ellie M
Ellie M marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Heather Williams
Heather Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Dara
Dara added it
Jun 19, 2014
Sarahmarie Jerome
Sarahmarie Jerome marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Fatma
Fatma marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What About Me? The Penguin Book of International Women's Stories What about Me, Too? Couples: The Truth The Big Fat Bitch Book