Start by marking “Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1)

Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,554 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews
"Seven hearts
the journey make.
Seven ways
the hearts will break."

The wise woman's warning rings in Rowan's head as he and six companions set out to climb the forbidden Mountain that towers over their village, Rin. The stream Rin depends on has stopped flowing, and these seven are seeking the source of the problem. But no one who has tried to climb the Mountain has ever

Published April 1st 2001 by Greenwillow (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Rowan of Rin, please sign up.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Rowan of Rin (Rowan of Rin, #1), Emily Rodda
عنوان: روون پسری از رین - کتاب 1 از سری روون از رین؛ نویسنده: امیلی رودا؛ مترجم: نسرین وکیلی؛ تهران، افق، 1383، در 182 ص؛ شابک: 9789643691187؛ چاپ هشتم 1392؛
در چهار کتاب است؛ کتاب نخست: روون پسری از رین؛ کتاب دوم: روون و کولیها؛ کتاب سوم: روون و نگهبان کریستال؛ و کتاب چهارم: روون و زباکها؛
روون نگهبان بوکشاها است. در جلد نخست خوانشگر با شخصیتهای مجموعه آشنا میشود: مارلی، جیلر، الون، جان قوی، وال و الیس و...؛ روون کودکی ترسوست که به گفته ی «شبا» جادوگر
Argona
I have such wonderful memories from this series. I admit that these books are best suitable for very young readers but the concept is enjoyable for all ages. I have spent many years with this series and this fantasy world and the characters in it have grown into much more than what they are or at least what they appear to be at first look. My only regret is that these tales are too short for they are simply beautiful.

This series tells the story of a boy who is different than all others in his v
Alexxy
Nov 05, 2015 Alexxy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Rowan of Rin is a children's book so I'm gonna do a little comparing with Narnia and Oz series:

Rowan lacks the writing brilliancy the other two had. Everything about the text was so simple, it reminded me of the book I wrote when I was 10. Oh, those sweet times...

On the other hand, Rowan was simply not irritating. If you go back to my review of Narnia and Oz you'll see that I was annoyed by literally everything. At least I didn't pull my hair out every second of reading this book.

Also, everythin
Annelise Lestrange
Jul 31, 2013 Annelise Lestrange rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica Strachan, Jennifer Miers, Lindsey Lynn
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

The Story

Rowan always felt a stranger on his own village. People in Rin were expected to grow up handling every physic aspect of life with perfection. But not Rowan. He was always too skinny, too thin, too scared… Useless. All the kids always made fun of him. The only thing that he never failed to do was to look after the village’s bukshas, a kind of breed between cow and sheep.

Until the bukshas’ lake rans dry and no one kno
Whymsy Likes Books
May 03, 2012 Whymsy Likes Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rewiewed
A Tale of Courage

Gentle spirited Rowan is thought of as weak by the strong and hardy folk in his village, Rin. He doesn’t measure up to the other villagers; in him they see no value and he has learned to see no value in himself. Only the peaceful creatures he tends named the bukshah love and appreciate him. When an expedition to the top of the mountain is formed to save the bukshah Rowan is forced to go. Haunted by fear and scorned and pitied by the other members of the expedition Rowan is drive
Jules
Feb 12, 2010 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been looking for good books for my boys who are voracious readers. They saw this at the book fair, and I was a little skeptical, but the reviews sounded ok, so I let them get it. I decided I better read it to see what it's about. I think this is one of my favorite books they have. It was a story about a fantasy people, maybe like Lord of the Rings where they have their own words, names of things, magic, lands and history. It had suspense and danger, but it surrounded fears - water, spider ...more
Snarky Hatter
Oct 27, 2011 Snarky Hatter rated it really liked it
I read this book a decade ago and loved it, and I have just reread it again and still enjoy it immensely.

The plot is simple: Cowardly Rowan must journey with six companions up a mountain to discover and fix the cause behind why water is no longer reaching their village.

Rin is a village filled with people who are strong and raised to be brave, seek adventure, and show no weakness, but Rowan is different. He's easily frightened and openly displays his weaknesses. The only friends he has are the
Jeremy
Jun 01, 2008 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot better then I thought it would be. It is a sort of fantisy sci-fi book as it is set in the made up land of rin. A male hero named Rowan is given a task to go to the top of the ice mountain and find out what is stopping the water from flowing into his village. Through his journey with his friends a lot of magical things happen. Its a good read to take a break from all those tough books.
Catherine Austen
I loved this series. I recommend it to any young fantasy lovers, especially shy 10-year-old boys. Fantasy is not my thing, but both my sons loved fantasy books, so I've read an awful lot (aloud). Emily Rodda was a favourite for all of us. Her books are rich in every way: vivid settings, full characters, well told stories. There are quests to make, lives to save, riddles to solve, monsters to vanquish, evil to defeat, and an unlikely hero to do it all.

Because my kids are 7 years apart, they went
Jessica
Mar 23, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
This is such a great coming of age book for 9-11 year olds. It is a quest book with a prophecy. The main character is weak and unsure of himself. He is "forced" to go on a quest to save his town which somehow has lost its water supply. With a map to lead 7 of them, which only Rowan can make reveal the path, they are thrown into many physical and mental challenges. People once strong, become weak and vice versa. True characters become visible.

It is great to draw a map while it is being read. I su
Kirsten Bailey
I just finished reading this book to my class of year 4 students.
They voted on the star rating themselves. (1 student gave 3 stars, 2 students gave it 4 stars and the rest gave it 5).

Here are some of their comments:

"I loved the book because it was exciting the whole way through"

"I liked the part where they were fighting the dragon, and how they go into the tunnel"

"It was cool when they got to the dragon and ran from the dragon"

"I only gave it 3 stars because it has some boring bits and some real
Anne Hamilton
Rowan is timid and fearful. His naturally nervous disposition has been exacerbated by the fact that his father died in a fire while saving Rowan's life. As a consequence, he's given the easiest job in Rin: minding the gentle bukshah beasts as they graze.

But, when the sweet water that comes from the forbidden Mountain fails to flow for many days, Rowan finds himself caught up in events beyond his control. A group of villagers is chosen to ascend the Mountain and they decide to consult the local w
You
Jul 07, 2013 You rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out fairly slow. All is well in Rin and there is only one problem, Rowan, the main character, is considered a coward. This is the main conflict of the story, as well as the river going dry. These two conflicts run side by side as each comes to its resolution with the same event. The trek up the mountain is the main focus of the story. This book falls short on details though.This fault is small, but does detract too much. This book also has very bland side characters. Some of the ...more
Nicole
May 29, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
I'd probably even give this one a 4.5. A really wonderful mid-grade fantasy (the first of a 5-part series). Young Rowan is a bit meeker than his peers, and he is often looked down on from adults and children alike in his village. But then his village is threatened by a serious drought, and the village needs to send a questing party to the top of the mountain (where none have returned from) to try and puzzle out the source of the stopped river. Thanks to the nudging of the local "witch," Rowan mu ...more
Alexa Beal
Apr 22, 2009 Alexa Beal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first when I picked up this book I didn't think that it would be able to keep me interested, but after I started reading it my mind was certainly intrigued. Rowan of Rin is about a small town that starts to run out of water. To regain water the strongest people of the town are chosen to climb the mountain(which on top of contains a dragon). Anyways.. the crazy town physcic give them a map that only shows them directions when Rowan is holding it. Rowan climbs the mountain with the strong guys ...more
Lena
Feb 05, 2011 Lena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children
This was one of my favourite children's books. Rowan, shy and weak, is the misfit of his village where strength and courage is highly valued. One day the stream that supplies their water dries up and a quest to the source at the top of the mountain ensues. Only Rowan must go on the quest because the map leading the way will only appear when in his hands.

Emily Ronda is a great children's writer and even though now her characters and plot seem a little clichéd I still enjoyed revisiting this book
Kate
Oct 19, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this before my son got all the way through it, because I wanted to know how scary the scary parts were!

This story, complete with a map at the beginning for the reader, is the perfect start for kids interested the LOTR genre but aren't old enough to tackle Tolkien. I especially like that Rowan, the main character, is a scared kid, not a hulking grown-up, and the readers can identify with his emotions and actions the whole way through.

This was the perfect challenge for my son, who is done w
Mrs. Vronko
Jan 24, 2011 Mrs. Vronko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fourth
I couldn't figure out the genre of this book at first. Rodda, the author, did such a great job of creating the setting. She made the place real. Challenge yourself to discover if Rowan's (the main character) point of view is complete. You can also try to figure out the riddles in the book. Make sure you keep track of the many characters in the beginning--don't read too fast.

I think this is a great book for advanced fourth grade readers who like fantasy.

Nilsson
Rowan must have been a common name in the olden days when there were more wizards walking around, because I've noticed it pop up quite a few times in my school books. Sure, red protects you from fairies, but heaven's to betsy if I ever named my child something as overused! Fairy's take them, I'd rather.
Connie
Jul 15, 2015 Connie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books, fantasy
I am thoroughly impressed with this author. What some authors take hundreds upon hundreds of pages to do, Emily Rodda can do in 150 pages or less—that is, write a complete and compelling story. This one is a fascinating tale of a boy and his village who all learn the true meaning of courage. I totally loved everything about it.
Negar
Jul 08, 2013 Negar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
من کل این مجموعه رو برای اجبار خواهرم خوندم : دی
برای کودکان خیلی کتاب عالی ای یه، به خاطر اینکه علاوه بر جذابیتش خیلی نکات آموزنده قشنگی رو داخلش آورده. ولی خب منو تقریبا خسته کرد...
خیلی بیش از حد قصه ی پریانه.:دی
Ian Tymms
I'd forgotten I'd read this one. Lovely to come back to it. A perfect Grade 5/6 fantasy adventure with very likeable characters and a compelling narrative. A classic.
Phillipa
Feb 05, 2016 Phillipa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
A really exciting and fun middle grade book. Definitely interested in continuing with the series when I'm in the mood for a quick read. I hope the other books show us more of the rest of the world.
Tom Zuber
Aug 01, 2012 Tom Zuber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
absolutley great book ever since i have read this book my life changed completley and i now dedicate my life to this
BAZINGA
it wasnt good
Zoe
amazing book definitely read again I would Recommend this to anyone who likes adventure/fantasy
Erika.C
May 12, 2015 Erika.C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
It was good.
April
11 year old liked it a lot. Would have given it 5 stars but it took awhile to get into the good parts. He'll be reading the rest.
Kaitlin
Dec 07, 2016 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-copy, fantasy
This is the series of books / writer that I will always love and remember from childhood. It's simple but beautiful and has a great message; that you don't have to be brave or strong to do the right thing. This is one I'm going to keep and show my kids someday.
Ian
Feb 22, 2017 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowan of Rin is a short adventure book of a kid named rowan, his town is in a drought and the water from the mountain is coming down the river.
he and other people haft to go climb up the mountain but, there are obstacle in his way. like there is a hard climb in the side where the water usually is so its hard to climb. Also they haft to walk down a place where there is mud and the trees around them are infested with big giant spiders,
and that's not all during the obstacle many of the people go do
Melinda
Update - March 2017

I think I loved this book more on reread, even though I will still stand by my original rating and review. The ending really hit me in the feels this time, and I think that I really let myself connect with the main character more. I also think that my love for Rowan as a character has increased since the first time I read this.

Original Review - March 2013

This was a sweet, easy read. I would definitely class it as a children’s story, but it was still a really enjoyable read. I
1001 Children's B...: June 2016: Rowan of Rin 7 20 Jul 01, 2016 08:03AM
Rowan of Rin - by Emily Rodda 3 16 May 16, 2014 02:32PM
Dragons 3 18 Sep 05, 2012 05:26PM
Rowan of Rin 6 20 Sep 02, 2012 01:09AM
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • Space Demons (Space Demons Trilogy, #1)
  • Hazel Green
  • The Book of Lies
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • Uncanny! (Uncollected)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • The Starkin Crown
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • Strange Objects
  • The Scarecrows
  • The Running Man
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • The Ruby Princess Runs Away (Jewel Kingdom #1)
  • Deadly, Unna?
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • The Dragonslayers
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...

Rowan of Rin (5 books)
  • Rowan and the Travelers (Rowan of Rin, #2)
  • Rowan and the Keeper of the Crystal (Rowan of Rin, #3)
  • Rowan and the Zebak (Rowan of Rin, #4)
  • Rowan and the Ice Creepers (Rowan of Rin, #5)

“Fearing, you climbed the mountain. Fearing, you faced its dangers. And fearing, you went on. That is real bravery, Rowan. Only fools do not fear. Sheba knew that. Sheba knew everything all along.” 6 likes
“The smallest and weakest of us proved the strongest and bravest in the end.” 5 likes