Start by marking “The Truth About Melody Browne” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Melody Browne

The Truth About Melody Browne

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  5,887 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
Melody Browne can remember nothing before her ninth birthday. Now in her early thirties, Melody lives in the middle of London with her seventeen-year-old son. She hasn’t seen her parents since she left home at fifteen, but Melody doesn't mind. She’s better off on her own.

And then fragments of her past start to come back. At first her memories mean nothing to her but slowly
Published January 7th 2010 by Arrow Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Melody Browne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Melody Browne

Emma
Feb 08, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this, as with many of you on here I too could not put it down and read it in less than 24 hours.

Melody is an ordinary 'dinner lady' with a realistic character, not unlike myself, far from the usual early twenties Irish girl, living in New York, with a handsome successful business man for her love interest blah blah blah, as is the case in many other chick lit's, so it made what in some ways was an unrealistic story into a believable, heart rendering and beautiful account of a lovely lit
Susan Mann
Dec 17, 2010 Susan Mann rated it liked it
I haven't read any of Lisa Jewell's books before, but this hit several notes with me and it certainly won't be the last one I read either. This is her seventh novel, so I have plenty to keep up with.
Melody, lost everything so possessed in a fire at her home when she was just nine years old. This was so traumatic for her that she also lost all her memories up until that point. How horrible would it be to not remember a huge chunk of your life, I know you don't remember every little detail of you
May 31, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What an emotional journey this novel has taken me on.

As the description says, Melody can't remember anything prior to being nine years old. I think in some ways it has held Melody back not knowing and she struggles to fully move on with her life.

The story flicks between present day and to different parts of Melody's past leading up to her being nine. This way we slowly learn along with Melody, what her life was like in those missing years.

This is such a beautifully written novel with a whole arr
Lisa
Mar 10, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing, 2012
The truth is...
I found this boring.
Mar 03, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
When I chose this book, I think I was expecting something else. My previous knowledge of Lisa Jewell was Ralph’s Party, a sweet romantic comedy about flatmates. Lisa Jewell has certainly grown up over the years and THE TRUTH ABOUT MELODY BROWNE proves it! This book is an emotional rollercoaster that really took me by surprise. The subject matter got extremely dark at times, and I am not afraid to say that I shed a tear or two more than once during this book, but overall I was left with what I th ...more
Lisa
Jan 09, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This HAS to be Lisa Jewell's best book! From the first page I was sucked in. It was written so well, with such depth of feeling that it was as if you were reading an actual true story about a real person. Melody seems so real, like someone living just down the street or around the corner. All the characters are very strong with personalities that step off the page, they all have faults and you don't always like them but they make the story what it is. The way Melody's past and present is set out ...more
Steffi
This is my first book by Lisa Jewell, so I started it with no expectations at all.

The beginning was kind of slow but once Melody started to find out more about her past, it got kind of interesting.
Now I have finished the book I have to say that I felt entertained and bored at the same time. I did like to find out about Melody's past but I didn't like the way it was told. Sometimes it felt like the author was only dumping Melody's experiences from the past on the reader. I would have prefered to
Nancy
Mar 01, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Well . . . it was a moving story, but I didn't find the premise of it very plausible. And then I was very confused because as the story shifts back and forth from present to past, the present Melody is gradually recovering memory. But not necessarily the memory of the narrated past events. What she knew and what I knew were not the same, but I only figured that out towards the end. And the very last scene brought tears to my eyes, but it ended too soon, and I felt a little frustrated.
Lucy
Jun 16, 2014 Lucy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I managed to finish it, by the will of "I've got almost all the way through it!" It was so terribly boring, and even though it was, I thought it was going somewhere at one point and it just.. didn't. It had a little potential but I wouldn't recommend it. Sorry!
K
Apr 16, 2009 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A huge departure from her earlier novels. This is very sweet, despite being wildly unrealistic and a bit slow to start. I found the aspects of the story told twice (once by the direct omniscient narrator and the other as Melody discovers it) very clunky.

Still, I couldn't put it down.
Helena Wildsmith
Apr 13, 2017 Helena Wildsmith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a tragic story! I feel so sorry for poor little Melody and the awful childhood she had. A really engrossing story that I would definitely recommend.
Karen
Apr 02, 2017 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, puzzling, heartwarming and just really good
Corinne Austin
Jun 10, 2017 Corinne Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more like it. Poignant, witty and uplifting, and with a delightful narrative voice in six-year-old Melody, I read this in a single day, breaking only for mealtimes.
Siobhan Johnson
Oct 16, 2016 Siobhan Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When she was nine years olds, Melody Browne's house burned down taking every toy, every photograph, every item of clothing and Christmas card with it. But not only did the fire destroy her possessions it took all of her memories.

Melody can remember nothing before her ninth birthday. Now in her early thirties Melody lives in a council flat in the middle of London with her seventeen year old son. She hasn't seen her parents since she left home at fifteen but Melody doesn't mind she's better off o
Briar Rose
This book is set in both the past and the present, as Melody Browne uncovers childhood memories she has buried for many years.

This is a light read, and also a book I couldn't wait to finish. I just needed to know what happened next. It's not brilliant, but it is interesting, and Jewell's writing style is easy to sink into.

The book suffers from an unevenness between the past and present sections - the past is much more interesting and colourful than the present, which is lightly sketched in. The
Sharon Chapter One, Page One..
I read this book within a few days whilst sitting in the sunshine in my back garden – and it was a perfect feel-good book to read at this time! I enjoyed Lisa Jewell’s book, she managed to show how our childhood can be directly connected to building a secure, happy adulthood.
Melody had a real journey of discovery through this book, which all started after a disastrous first date to a hypnotist show. After being hypnotised and subsequently collapsing on stage, this triggered regular disturbing fl
Cik Aini
I read this book in such a hurried pace. Suddenly, I realise that I can read if I wanted to. Lots of commitments or excuses are delaying me in reading books.

The plot: Melody forgot everything before her house being burnt down. When she went for a date with a guy she met on a bus, the guy brought her to a show where she was being hypnotised. Bits by bits, her memories came flooding back. She remembers sketches of her life.

My review: For a novel, that keeps on going on and forth between the past a
Cleo Bannister
I have to start this review by saying I don’t know how I ever managed to miss reading this one but better late than never!

I love Lisa Jewell’s style of writing, the way she draws you into the story is fantastic and like her more recent books, despite the girly cover this is no ordinary chick-lit.

The story of Melody Browne concentrates on the life of a woman who has no memory of her life before she was 9 and rescued from a fire by her father. Then on her first date for years something happens wh
Brian
Apr 08, 2010 Brian rated it liked it
Lisa Jewell has been called the queen of chick-lit but she's much better than that. Like a younger, female Nick Hornby , she writes deceptively simple prose and uses everyday details to anchor her images. I really liked Ralph's Party, her first book. Nothing else has quite matched that for me.

The Truth About Melody Browne is about a young woman who has lost the memory of her childhood and begins to recover it after an encounter with a stage hypnotist, only to find that it is full of terrible tra
Diane Dickson
Oct 24, 2016 Diane Dickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a few of Lisa Jewell's books. I tend to turn to them as a break from crime and darkness and I usually enjoy the read. I was surprised that I had missed this one and it was advertised as a bargain on Book Bub.

I did enjoy it, the writing is as always very proficient and the story is unusual and I found it gripping and looked forward to picking it up to read. For me though it was all about the characters. I loved them, they were so visual and "real". It has to be said that at times this
MB (What she read)
Mar 10, 2009 MB (What she read) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a stealth good-read masquerading under a chick-lit cover. As do most of Lisa Jewell's books, it tugs at your heart-strings. I highly recommend anything that she writes. And I'm amazed that her books aren't as well known as those by Jane Green or Marian Keyes, because, in my opinion, they deserve to be!

* * *

If you enjoyed this book, you might wish to try Innocence by Kathleen Tessaro or Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes.
Sylbeattie

Heat Magazine's review on the front of this book says'Life-affirming and uplifting...perfect', and, for once, I agree. The story takes you on an emotional journey as Melody recovers the memories she lost after being in fire as a child of nine. A mix of child memories and present day action really involve you and make you live Melody's history as she reclaims it. I read it from cover to cover in one day and felt cheated there was no more when I had finished it.
Zarina
Oct 30, 2010 Zarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had more time right now to elaborate but let's just say this book exceeded my expectations and is one of the best books I've read in a very long time. It's a genuine intruiging novel that grabs you and doesn't let go. I had planned to just read the first few chapters but was unable to close it until three hours later, after turning the final page. It made me tear up on more occassion that one too - a truly gripping novel.
Hannah Ward
Feb 27, 2015 Hannah Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book, it only took me two sittings to read it in. I found the plot really interesting and intriguing, one that was a bit different from other chick lit books that I have read. Lisa Jewell is another new author to me but I really like her style of writing, even though she flits back to the past and now, she manages to do it without the reader getting too confused. She writes with emotion which I liked and I did shed a few tears. A joy to read.
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)

This was an enjoyable read.

The pacing of this story was maybe a little off, the story alternated from being really intriguing to be a bit slow and boring but apart from that i found the story to be enjoyable, i was emotionally invested in the story and i definitely got a little glassy eyed in parts.

Alexa
Feb 23, 2016 Alexa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that when I first saw the cover of this novel I thought that it would be a corny kind of story. I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE WRONG! This novel is an amazing story of life and tragedy with twists and turns everywhere. It was an absolute page turner and I loved it!!!
Jordanne
Mar 08, 2011 Jordanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an amazing story!
I just couldn't put it down, Melody's story had me smiling and crying at times.
One of the best books I've read in a long time!

2011

I reread this book in 2017 and I liked it just as much as I did 6 years ago.

Katrina
May 17, 2009 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. Lisa Jewell at her best. The writing is very fluid and entertaining. The story is lovely and credible. Melody Browne is a middle-aged urban heroin who finds in her long lost forgotten past a new found credibility in her unfulfilled potential. Just adorable.
Priya
Jan 07, 2017 Priya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming story.. loved it!
Karen's World
Oct 26, 2014 Karen's World rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while on holiday this year and I could not put it down. I found it addictive to keep reading to find the answers. Loved it.
  • Please Forgive Me
  • Out of the Blue
  • A Single to Rome
  • Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life
  • Crazy in Love
Lisa was born in London in 1968. Her mother was a secretary and her father was a textile agent and she was brought up in the northernmost reaches of London with her two younger sisters. She was educated at a Catholic girls’ Grammar school in Finchley. After leaving school at sixteen she spent two years at Barnet College doing an arts foundation course and then two years at Epsom School of Art & ...more
More about Lisa Jewell...

“She felt like a creature born to reside on the bottom of the ocean floor, dark and flat and half-blind, slowly rising through the icy water to the glittering light above.” 1 likes