Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style

Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Ask any designer, fashion editor, or art director where the hottest trends are coming from, and they'll tell you it's from the streets of certain cities. And if you ask them what magazine gives the best, most authoritative coverage of these outsider fashion incubators, chances are they'll say Nylon.

Nylon here combines its street cred and international expertise (the magazi...more
Published 2006 by Universe Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street

~Geektastic~
This is one of my favorite photo-based style books.

I'm a sucker for style books, as distinct from "fashion" books that focus on designers, trends and advertising. I adore street style blogs like The Sartorialist and Lookbook, and this is essentially a companion volume to the best of those blogs. With photos taken in several distinct locations (New York City, Stockholm, Tokyo, etc), there is a wonderful blend of quirky, adventurous types, and the more understated, elegant dressers. The subjects v...more
Maureen
A portrait of "global" urban fashion from 2006. Nothing special really, a lot of the photos are out of focus, poorly contrasted, poorly curated. There are loads of photos of guys wearing jeans and hooded sweatshirts and dangly necklaces, I guess that was the jam in 2006, along with the mass-layering look I'm glad has passed. The Tokyo section is the most well thought out, and features a diverse sort of trends. The London/NYC section might as well be combined, and simply notated as Grunge Strikes...more
Mira
People on the streets of Paris, Berlin, Melbourne, Amsterdam, etc. dressed in their personalised get-up making for pretty pictures of the uber-cool. But its not as staged or pretentious as a fashion magazine, obviously. This is from where girly mags steal their "target" versions of op-shop and renegade fashions...or so I like to think (with a shudder).
Ok, it is pretentious in places. You can't escape that.
Kirsten Ashley
Oct 27, 2008 Kirsten Ashley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hipsters, fashion enthusiasts
Recommended to Kirsten by: Carlos Silva
I flipped through this book at a friends house to get inspiration on style, as I an aesthetic creature. It was well photographed. Some of the musical tastes of the subjects pictured passed my High Fidelity test. But a large portion of the fashions were that unappealing layered hobo look. It kind of pissed me off. I guess I'm not a hipster.
Jamil
this is another one of those FRUITS inspired street style books which i looked at awhile back. i've always dug the way Nylon magazine was designed, so that was my primary interest in looking at this book. you know, like the New York Look Book, it's global people watching, flipbook style.
Laila
I bought this thinking to get a wide variety of street styles, which It did. However it was around 3 years old and you could tell by some of the outfits.
Katya
Way better than Pretty. The people and outfits in this book were quite inspiring, and it was fun to see Robert Pattison snuck in there. Good times.
Chris
An excellent book for fashion! It's awesome to get a glimpse at random peoples' wardrobes, especially from all over the world.
Dec 28, 2008 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in fashion and street style
I love seeing and reading about what other people are wearing all around the world, and this book was perfect for that.
Katie
Mar 07, 2009 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
An easy way to find a new influence for your fashion. Def fun to look at and admire.
Manintheboat
The international youth uniform is Jeans or skirt, t-shirt and jacket or sweater.
Naomi Jade
great book for anyone who has an interest in fashion and/or culture.
Drifloon
like junk food for the mind
Haylee
Typical hipster fashion book.
Leni
this is very very good.
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Aimer Imai
Aimer Imai marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jdl
Jdl marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Darkened Rose
Darkened Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Marisol Sol
Marisol Sol marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Gainor
Gainor added it
Aug 10, 2014
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Kitty Blue
Kitty Blue marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Amy Luis
Amy Luis marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
  • Fresh Fruits
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • The Sartorialist
  • The Fashion Book - Mini Edition
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Chanel: Collections and Creations
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style
  • Vice Dos and Don'ts: 10 Years of VICE Magazine's Street Fashion Critiques
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Teen Vogue Handbook: An Insider's Guide to Careers in Fashion