Start by marking “Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style” as Want to Read:
Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style

Street: The Nylon Book of Global Style

Ask any designer, fashion editor, or art director where the hottest trends are coming from, and they'll tell you it's from the streets of certain cities. And if you ask them what magazine gives the best, most authoritative coverage of these outsider fashion incubators, chances are they'll say Nylon.

Nylon here combines its street cred and international expertise (the magazi
Published 2006 by Universe Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street

~Geektastic~
This is one of my favorite photo-based style books.

I'm a sucker for style books, as distinct from "fashion" books that focus on designers, trends and advertising. I adore street style blogs like The Sartorialist and Lookbook, and this is essentially a companion volume to the best of those blogs. With photos taken in several distinct locations (New York City, Stockholm, Tokyo, etc), there is a wonderful blend of quirky, adventurous types, and the more understated, elegant dressers. The subjects v
Maureen
Jan 23, 2015 Maureen rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction, style, clothes
A portrait of "global" urban fashion from 2006. Nothing special really, a lot of the photos are out of focus, poorly contrasted, poorly curated. There are loads of photos of guys wearing jeans and hooded sweatshirts and dangly necklaces, I guess that was the jam in 2006, along with the mass-layering look I'm glad has passed. The Tokyo section is the most well thought out, and features a diverse sort of trends. The London/NYC section might as well be combined, and simply notated as Grunge Strikes ...more
Victoria Moore
I'm a huge fan of "Nylon" magazine. I even have a subscription and I buy the Japanese version on the newsstand. Between that publication and "Fruits" I get enough fashion coordination ideas to last me for at least a month. Laid out in a "Fruits" photography style with chosen fashionistas and chicsters posing with avant-garde pride and wit on the streets of London, Copenhagen, Berlin, Paris, New York, Melbourne and Tokyo the accompanying text and mini interviews create a nostalgic look back to 2 ...more
Claire
Jan 21, 2016 Claire rated it did not like it
Ugh, is there anything worse than fashion from 10 years ago? Mostly the looks are bleh (Jeans, hoodies, and sneakers? What is this - my middle school yearbook???), the writing is similarly boring, the photos are out of focus or poorly contrasted, and the people (based on their interviews) are all awful. Oh, really, your fashion icon is yourself? Coooool. Your favorite thing about your city is the parties? Wooooooow. Impossible to read the sideways teeny tiny type anyway. An abomination. Haha.
Mira
Apr 30, 2008 Mira rated it it was amazing
People on the streets of Paris, Berlin, Melbourne, Amsterdam, etc. dressed in their personalised get-up making for pretty pictures of the uber-cool. But its not as staged or pretentious as a fashion magazine, obviously. This is from where girly mags steal their "target" versions of op-shop and renegade fashions...or so I like to think (with a shudder).
Ok, it is pretentious in places. You can't escape that.
Kirsten
Oct 27, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hipsters, fashion enthusiasts
Recommended to Kirsten by: Carlos Silva
I flipped through this book at a friends house to get inspiration on style, as I an aesthetic creature. It was well photographed. Some of the musical tastes of the subjects pictured passed my High Fidelity test. But a large portion of the fashions were that unappealing layered hobo look. It kind of pissed me off. I guess I'm not a hipster.
Jamil
Sep 16, 2007 Jamil rated it liked it
this is another one of those FRUITS inspired street style books which i looked at awhile back. i've always dug the way Nylon magazine was designed, so that was my primary interest in looking at this book. you know, like the New York Look Book, it's global people watching, flipbook style.
Laila
Jan 29, 2011 Laila rated it it was ok
I bought this thinking to get a wide variety of street styles, which It did. However it was around 3 years old and you could tell by some of the outfits.
Katya
Nov 21, 2009 Katya rated it really liked it
Shelves: coffee-table-lit
Way better than Pretty. The people and outfits in this book were quite inspiring, and it was fun to see Robert Pattison snuck in there. Good times.
Chris
May 12, 2011 Chris rated it it was amazing
An excellent book for fashion! It's awesome to get a glimpse at random peoples' wardrobes, especially from all over the world.
Dec 28, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in fashion and street style
I love seeing and reading about what other people are wearing all around the world, and this book was perfect for that.
Katie
Mar 07, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
An easy way to find a new influence for your fashion. Def fun to look at and admire.
Manintheboat
Dec 26, 2010 Manintheboat rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
The international youth uniform is Jeans or skirt, t-shirt and jacket or sweater.
Naomi Jade
Aug 01, 2009 Naomi Jade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fashion-books
great book for anyone who has an interest in fashion and/or culture.
Drifloon
Dec 30, 2008 Drifloon rated it really liked it
like junk food for the mind
Haylee
Oct 08, 2010 Haylee rated it liked it
Typical hipster fashion book.
Leni
Sep 07, 2010 Leni rated it really liked it
this is very very good.
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Liberty K
Liberty K marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Nikita Aldania
Nikita Aldania rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Jolie F
Jolie F marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Laura Norton
Laura Norton marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Monika Karanikolova
Monika Karanikolova marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Jen Brown
Jen Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Nerissa
Nerissa marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Abigail
Abigail rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
TATIANA BUTTS
TATIANA BUTTS marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
  • Fresh Fruits
  • Gothic and Lolita
  • The Sartorialist
  • Style Deficit Disorder: Harajuku Street Fashion - Tokyo
  • 20th Century Fashion: 100 Years of Style by Decade and Designer, in Association with Vogue.
  • The Fashion Book - Mini Edition
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • Chanel: Collections and Creations
  • The ELLEments of Personal Style: 25 Modern Fashion Icons on How to Dress, Shop, and Live
  • In Vogue: An Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • 100 Dresses: The Costume Institute / The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  • 100 Years of Fashion Illustration
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • Style Diaries: World Fashion from Berlin to Tokyo