Start by marking “How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better” as Want to Read:

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  109 reviews
How Not to Look Old the 15-week New York Times bestseller is now in paperback updated with over 150 new Brilliant Buys!

Charla Krupp knows that aging sucks! So she's here to help. It's every woman's dream: looking hip, sexy, fresh, and pretty--whether you're in your 30's, 40's, 50's, or 60's. Now it's every woman's necessity: looking younger will help you hold onto your jo
Published May 1st 2009 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Look Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not to Look Old

Melissa Delbridge
Ah, jeez. I bought this book in a time of angst. It should be entitled something like How to Look Like You're Desperately Trying to Look 25 All Your Life (To No Avail). What's really scary is that I kept looking at the photos and thinking "Okay. She looks fun and interesting," then discovering that these were the "what not to do" shots.

And can somebody tell me what's wrong with skin-colored stockings? And what's wrong with the Golden girls? Loved Betty White...

Hell, I don't want to look young.
Kathrynn
There were a lot of good points made throughout the book. I thought it was nicely written, divided into 19 small chapters:

1. Are you high, medium or low maintenance
A brief, high, medium or low section is also used in most of the subsequent chapters.

2. Cut some bangs
Check!

3. Lighten your hair
Check!

4. Tame those brows
Check! Some good tips on stencils for eye shape and where to buy.

5. Chic up your eyewear.
Glasses. I don't agree with some of the eyewear suggestions here, but to each their own. Pic
melissa
I want to vomit on myself. a) I just gave FIVE stars to this book. b) I was going to go out with a boy until I looked him up on myspace and found out he is 22. I AM NOT READY TO BE A COUGAR, OKAY? c) I was trying on a pair of jeans and the 108-year-old dressing room attendant lady called me ma'am.
Therefore I died.
So I got this book, which I expected to be totally stupid but at least lift my spirits until I ride through this most recent wave of life punching in the face. Then I realized in my he
Erin
Don't bother. Unless of course you'd like to pay $26 for a list of stores to shop in - guess what? We should all by our clothes at Saks and make-up from Chanel. Blow me.
Darla
At first, I was going to say that this book was the work of Satan but that would be an insult to Satanists. If you have no self-esteem and want to look like like an Ann Coulter clone, go for it. If you need some help in the clothing department, pick up any of the books by Susannah Constantine and Trinny Woodall, the hosts of the British version of "What Not To Wear".
Tammy
I'm not exactly the target audience of this book (yet), but it was some good advice to keep in mind at any age (e.g. dark lipstick makes your lips look thinner). I also really appreciated the "Best Buy" suggestions -- any time two picky women try a thousand products to narrow to the best of the best, I'm happy to give them a shot -- shapewear is a welcome addition at any age when you wear a pencil skirt. I think this is a great read for any woman who wants to look a little "younger and hipper" ( ...more
Zelda
I've seen this book at the bookstore a few times but I was so put off by the title (what the hell is wrong with looking old?) that I wouldn't look at it. But, the library means, in theory (I've bought so many library books), free looksies so I grabbed it. I've read 2 paragraphs and I can say that my instinct about this book was right freaking on the mark. I hate this book. "Aging sucks...We're going to fight aging..." Good luck, Dummy. Actual scientists have tried and failed but I'm sure you, wi ...more
Nancy
The Author shares quite a few good tips on how to look more youthful, but sometimes her advice is overshadowed by her overgrown image of herself. I agreed with the following review on Amazon:
How To Feel Like You're Slipping, January 22, 2008
By Tiger Lily "book store owner" (Athens, GA) - See all my reviews

You know 40 is the new 30 when Diane Keaton, Annie Hall herself, is photographed wearing skin tight jeans and a big black leather belt. So the rest of us better be on alert.

That said, I have
Cathy Douglas
So I didn't really read this whole book, but I'm done with it. Oh, I may peek at it when I need something to make me laugh, but that's not the same thing as reading it, okay? Fortunately, mine is a Kindle edition, because that cover photo creeps me out, and besides it saves me the trouble of covering it up with my coat on the bus so I can pretend I'm reading something worthwhile.

It gets one star for being funny, and one for being educational (because I had no idea there was such a thing in the w
Tandie
"Looking younger will keep you in the game longer..."
I'm pretty sure Charla Krupp & I aren't playing the same game. While I gleaned some good info about Spanx & proper bra fit, she's over the top about aging. She says that she might never have become a beauty director if it weren't for her fascination (um, obsession) with maintenance. In the 90's her annual maintenance cost (hair, manis, & pedis) was a whopping $7,398. Seriously? 23 years ago? She talks about the goal to look Y&
Debra Arthur
Oh! What can I say. I really enjoyed this book. I just can't wait until this current silly trend of not wearing panty hose even when it its 12 degrees outside is over.
Kelly
I bought this for my mom as a post-Christmas present. We're SHALLOW, so shoot us.
Julia
There are some really good, easy, inexpensive and immediately implementable suggestions in here that really work. Really. Trust me. The author understands about being on a budget and not being a high-maintenance type of person, so all the suggestions have low/medium/high effort/expense ways to get results. Anyone who ***needs*** to look Y&H (author-speak for Young and Hip, as opposed to OL for Old Lady) should BUY this book, immediately. I don't often recommend buying a book when there's a p ...more
Eric
It's not really for my demographic but I can say I learned one New Rule: "Matchy-matchy will make you look oldie-oldie". It refers to matching your handbag to your shoes.

You might be wondering how this is helpful in any way? Well it's simple:

When a woman asks me if she looks good in her gold snake-skin bag with matching shoes it means I now have Charla's leg to stand on in telling her "NO!!!." That is...if I were to actually tell her the truth!

But I don't ever recommend telling the woman the "r
Stacie
I believe I saw this book mentioned in a magazine. I borrowed it from the library - I mainly wanted to see what the buzz was about (why people would be interested - so take my review with a grain of salt based on that information).

I didn't actually read word-for-word to page 71 (that's as far as I went before I decided to not waste anymore time). 'How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better' is more of a magazine as far as layout, s
Susan Z
I borrowed this book from the library, as a sort of tune-up or check-in to compare my aesthetic to. The good: the advice on makeup, wardrobe, underpinnings, shoes, and how to not look like you've had too much work done. The not-as-good: the emphasis on spendy cosmetic procedures for face and teeth, the anti-glasses stance, and the absolutism of some of the advice (apparently pink is the ONLY lip color for women over 40, not berry or red or mauve or a nude that fits your skin tone). The cringe-wo ...more
DeidreS
This book is good for any older woman who could use some fixing up. It has high, medium, and low maintenance categories which correlate with beauty budgets. I doubt any woman who hasn't kept up with her looks wouldn't find a few useful tips. For example, lighten up the colors on hair, eye shadow and lipstick and nailpolish. Get rid of long dresses (except formal floor-length ones), and get rid of out of style skirt and jacket suit sets. Get rid of the over-the-foundation face powder.

It isn't a p
texast
My 69-year-old mother requested a "beauty book for old people" for Mother's Day this year. This is not the book I sent her, but I did come across this title during my search and decided to check it out from the library, out of curiosity.

It does actually contain some helpful information, but overall the author seems to think everyone over the age of 40 should look exactly the same: boring. She suggests everyone lighten their hair (blond is her top recommendation), and keep it long and layered, w
justablondemoment
'So-So' took some tips out of this book but a lot of what I read was kind of a 'no brainer' like no more granny panties, don't cake your foundation, what looks good on your daughter will not on you...I mean, come on. I was looking for new ideas out of this book and just found a lot of things that most women already know. Rather insulting really.
Hannah
What I learned from this book is that I am a low maintenance gal and not quite ready to act on much of the advice of this book. Even though I may need it! Hah! Made me think about how my clothes fit and need for good undergarments.
Nicole
Excellent book on style, dressing for your body type and dressing for your age. A help to me as I entered my 40's and began re-evaluating my wardrobe.
Ruth Laura Edlund
I probably still look old but I feel more stylish now.
Leah
Many of the tips in this book are things I already do, but then I am pretty high maintenance. There are some tips that I probably will never do. I liked the advice about skin care and make-up and too the book with me on a visit to Ulta and Bath and Body Works. I liked that there was a mix of high, medium, and low end products. Probably the best tip in the book for me was to wear pink lipstick, something I used to do but had gotten away from. Diet and exercise, the two most important keys to stay ...more
The Style Page
I read How Not to Look Old after reading Andrea Robinson's Toss the Gloss. Charla Krupp's book is more extensive, as it covers fashion in addition to make-up.

Charla Krupp begins this book by saying that looking old negatively impacts you both personally and financially. Not a very upbeat way to begin a book.

I disagree with Krupp's aversion to nude pantyhose: I feel undressed without hosiery. Krupp also advocates shimmery pink gloss (see the back cover), something that Robinson opposes.

Krupp's b
Tatjana
This book was turned in on my shift at the library. I sat down with a colleague for a little chuckle.

I ended up checking it out because it has some great tips... and I cannot be bothered to read vapid magazines to glean a morsel of goodness for a woman in her mid-40s. Let's be real: My male colleague, who already gets paid more than I do, doesn't ever have to color his hair, wear nice clothes to be considered professional, or wear makeup. If I ever want a job that will pay me more than $10/hr ag
Melanie McCluskey
Oct 09, 2008 Melanie McCluskey added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baby boomer women, beauty junkies
In her first published style guide, TV personality and former magazine editor Charla Krupp takes you by the hand and yanks you firmly back to a smarter, savvier version of your 20th-century self. Promising to erase 10 LB’s and a decade, “How Not to Look Old: Look 10 years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better,” is an insider-y mix of coast-to-coast resources, industry secrets and straight-from-the-horse’s-mouth experience.

Written especially for the over-40 set, “How Not to Look Old” reads
Lain
I was so looking forward to this book. As I have just entered into my 40s, I was looking for something that would help me to balance the tightrope walk between frumpy stay-at-home-mom in sweats and you-need-to-stop-shopping-at-Forever-21.

Unfortunately, this book wasn't it for me. It really is aimed more at women who are in danger of appearing like "Old Ladies," or "OLs," as author Charla Krupp calls them. The advice on wrinkles (don't have 'em), grey hair (ditto), and helmet hair just didn't ap
Kathleen
Thankfully this isn't the only book out there for aging women. I'm shocked at the 5 star reviews for a book written by a person so condescending & at odds with her own aging process.

The author repeatedly comes across as one appalled at the signs of aging as though they were some sort of disease. With her kind of pocket book perhaps she can afford plastic surgery & all the other special treatments most middle class aging women cannot ...therefore I'm not certain she's best suited to be gi
Barbara
Despite opinions to the contrary, I am not high maintenance. According to Charla Krupp, I am medium maintenance on most things and low maintenance (!) on others. Ha!
Of all the fashion books I’ve read of late (and there have been several!) this is, by far, the best. Krupp is practical and informative, she gives “real world” examples that even those of us who live in the Midwest can follow. Well, all except for that “go barelegged even in the winter” thing. Anyone who lives in Michigan and goes ba
Michelle

When you look in your closet at age 40 (and better), what should you see? I approached this book with a little skepticism -- was I ready to give up my rock-band concert T's and hiking shorts just because I'd reached middle age? I tried living by her clothes rules for a week and --- WOW! I felt professional, elegant, fashionable -- and beautiful. All the time!

No matter your physique, there are certain parts of your anatomy that nobody needs to show off, especially after children and middle age se
  • InStyle: Secrets of Style: The Complete Guide to Dressing Your Best Every Day
  • InStyle: Instant Style: Your Season-by-Season Guide for Work and Weekend
  • What You Wear Can Change Your Life
  • Dress Your Best
  • How to Have Style
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 7 Powerful Tools for Life and Work
  • The Lucky Shopping Manual
  • Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer and How To Prevent Getting it in the First Place
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • The Lucky Guide to Mastering Any Style: How to Wear Iconic Looks and Make Them Your Own
  • The Female Body Breakthrough: The Revolutionary Strength-Training Plan for Losing Fat and Getting the Body You Want
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • The Original Beauty Bible: Skin Care Facts for Ageless Beauty
  • The Pocket Stylist
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • Bobbi Brown Living Beauty
Charla Krupp has done more than 100 style segments on The Today Show and she has appeared on Good Morning America, Oprah, The View, Dateline NBC, and has been a regular on The E! Channel and Home Shopping Network. She was beauty director of Glamour, editor of In Style, beauty editor for People's Style Watch and executive editor of Shop Etc. Magazine. Her writing has appeared in The New York Times, ...more
More about Charla Krupp...
How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting! How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!