Start by marking “Bunny Drop 1 (Bunny Drop, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bunny Drop 1 (Bunny Drop, #1)

Bunny Drop 1 (Bunny Drop #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  2,931 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Going home for his grandfather's funeral, thirty-year-old bachelor Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover! The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin. In a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides ...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by Yen Press (first published May 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bunny Drop 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bunny Drop 1

Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by Chica Umino
Best Josei - Manga
10th out of 119 books — 310 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
167th out of 942 books — 2,782 voters

More lists with this book...

Lina
Bunny Drop is one the most adorable manga series I've read in a long time. I'd first gotten into the series through the anime, but once I discovered there was a manga, well I had to check it out.

Bunny Drop tells the story if Daikichi, a 30-year-old bachelor, who upon arriving home for his grandfather's funeral, discovers that his grandfather left behind a 5-year-old love daughter named Rin (grandpa was 79 when he died). Rin is very introvert and shy, not speaking much and only interacts with Da
Arminzerella
Chibineko
I came across this today in my travels & decided what the heck- it sounded pretty cute. A manga full of grins later, I'm glad that I took the time to read this volume. It has to be one of the cuter ones I've seen lately that isn't on the cutesy side.

Daikichi is a 30 year old bachelor that has been going about his life as always until the day his grandfather dies. He goes to show his respects, only to discover that his grandfather had a life he'd never suspected. His grandfather had a mysteri
S. J.
Aug 18, 2013 S. J. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga lovers, mostly females, people interested in manga, fans of real life manga
Recommended to S. by: Library
I almost didn't pick this up from the library because this was so far and away from anything I ever read. But something made me give it a try and I'm very glad I did.

The story is simple but brilliant in its execution. Daikichi is a thirty year old single business man who returns home for his grandfather's funeral only to find his family squabbling over what to do with the old man's six year old daughter. They do not know who the mother is and Rin isn't speaking to anyone while they argue in fron
TheLibraryOfSarah
This was really good, it touched on sensitive issues very well. Rin is so cute! It’s an odd situation but that’s never played up, Daikichi never shames Rin for who she is or how she came to be. I didn’t particularly like the drawing style, but the graphic novel overall was just plain good.
Nerdie
One of the cutest manga I've ever read. Can't wait to read more! ^_^
Candiss
{I've been reading through the manga series "Bunny Drop", beginning with Bunny Drop, Volume 1. I've been through the first 2 volumes so far, and as it's a continuing story, I'm just going to treat it as a whole.}

The story centers on a Daikichi, a 30-year-old man whose grandfather has just died. At the funeral, he discovers that his grandfather, a widower, kept secrets from his family. The grandfather has been having a relationship with a younger woman (whom we never meet, or at least have not me
Sean O'Hara
Daikichi is a 30 year old bachelor grinding away at life as a salaryman. When he returns home for his grandpa's funeral, he discovers that he has a six year old aunt that no one in the family knew about. Turns out the old guy was a real horn-dog.

The women in the family are mortified at this revelation; the men pretend to be mortified while high-fiving each other when the women aren't around. But the two groups have one thing in common -- neither of them want anything to do with the girl, Rin. Th
Nicole
I am so in love with this new manga out of Yen Press. So sweet and endearing. In the basic story, 30-year old office worker Daikichi goes home for his grandfather's funeral and is surprised to find out (along with the other family members)that grandpa had a love child in his twilight years. Nobody knows what to do with the odd and strangely quiet 6-year old, Rin, and nobody seems to want to take her in. Daikichi is horrified by his family's lack of sensitivity toward the little girl, and he deci ...more
Korynn
It's a simple premise - a single man finds himself raising a child, but unlike shojo versions of this theme, this book is realistic. Our protagonist is not unbelievably handsome, or going to school, he is a working man who deals with raising a child in a realistic manner. It also begins with a mystery: when Daikichi's grandfather dies, the family discovers Rin, the little girl in question, who, it turns out, is grandfather's late-in-life child, but the mother is unknown. So without Grandfather t ...more
Jenna
Just finished volume 10. It was a bittersweet volume, since it was mostly flash backs to when they were younger, but overall I really enjoyed this series. It was sweet and funny with great characters. And at ten volumes it's a quick read compared to other series. The pacing may be slow for some but I still really enjoyed it!

...however!

(view spoiler)
Sakura Yue Michaelis
I love this kind of art and story. Where a single man has to take care of a child and everything changes in his daily life. It is still odd to think of Rin's mother in a relationship with such an old man (a 50 years difference more or less?), but it is nice to read how Daikichi comes to grow up trying to be a parent, without being corny or too fast.

And it does help that I have the movie in my PC to watch it, with the sweetest actress girl as Rin.

Rilakkuma Otaku
I like this book and how the main character takes the child in because no one wanted to care for her. I love watching him experience new things that he never would have if he didn't take the child, Rin in. It's just so funny how he tries to solve it sometime! This book is basically about a 30 year old bachelor becoming a dad. It's also really sad! The poor little girl doesn't even know who her mom is! In the story, the new dad's grandpa is Rin's dad. So basically, he adopted his aunt. Even thoug ...more
Soobie's still hurting like the first day
Beh, questo mi ha sorpreso in positivo. L'avevo preso, incuriosita dall'anteprima/i> e alla fine mi sono decisa a metterci le manine sopra. Ed è stata una ventata di arie fresca.

Sono di umore paludoso di mio, quindi leggere un qualsiasi shojo - come sto facendo con Elettroshock Daisy, Vol. 01 - avrebbe significato una sfilza di stelline basse. Invece qui non si parla di amori impossibili o storie di scuola.

I protagonisti principali sono Daikichi, impiegato trentenne, e Rin, orfana di sei ann
Emi
It took me forever to pick up Usagi Drop. I've been hearing about how good it is pretty much since it came out. And yet, I never felt like I wanted to read it. I started it yesterday out of pure desperation (I've read almost all the good manga available in languages I know by now and the remaining ones have such high level kanji that I spend more time looking things up in my electronic dictionary than actually reading).

I have nothing I can point out in this manga. I thought it over and over agai
Jessica
I hear many things about this series, mostly about what happens in the later half of the manga. However, I only read so far the first volume and even though I been spoil with some things that might change my judgement on this series. But, from reading this volume only I really adored this manga. I have unconsciously been wanting this type of manga for the longest time, it wasn't until I read it I noticed that fact. It's about this guy taking care of this young girl when nobody else in the family ...more
Anna
I read the whole series and liked it right up until the end. A cute story about family and relationships. I did NOT like the way the series ended.
Rachel
Daikichi's grandfather leaves behind an illegitimate child when he dies and the family argues over who will get stuck with her. Angry over everyone treating the girl like an inconvenience, Daikichi declares he'll take her... and then realizes he knows nothing about kids and his work schedule doesn't really work with most daycare hours.

The story never gets really dark, even with issues like death and abandonment, and doesn't take a comical approach to things like buying underwear or bed wetting,
Charlie
I mostly just started reading this because I'm interested in seeing the film adaptation (the kid who portrays Rin is an amazing actress), but the manga is actually really good so far. I was starting to think I don't like manga, since there can be some really messed-up content sometimes, but maybe I'm okay with "slice of life" type stuff. It was cool finding a work which thoughtfully explores non-nuclear family dynamics, and I appreciate how respectful, supportive, and non-hierarchical Daikichi's ...more
Helen
The first volumes of this series are really interesting - a look at the difficulties facing single parents in Japan. However, if you do read this I firmly suggest you stop after the time skip. The ending is beyond disappointing - it's just plain terrible.
Noran Miss Pumkin
best manga very--human drama with plot line. drawn very well. Highly recommended to those looking for a daily life drama manga!
Wing Ho
Review at end of entire series, notes and thoughts from this volume below:

1) Heartwarming slice of life tale with 2 interesting characters
2) Breaks no ground in terms of storytelling in series such as this
3) Slow and methodical pace is both wonderful but also sometimes frustrating
4) Wonderful simple line art that is both expressive and full of character
5) Slightly awkward pacing and panel choices for storytelling but overall fine
6) Open end at end of volume is a nice hook you into continuing to
Nada
I watched the anime months ago and I absolutely loved it and it was so short that I decided to read the manga because simply I wanted to know what will happen next.
It's beyond adorable, taking you in a journey with a single man who clearly lives freely till his grandpa's death then he's faced with the fact that his 79 years old grandpa have a 6 years old illegitimate daughter, he ends up taking her in to live with him. Which changed everything about his normal previous life.
Rin in this volume s
Artemis
A manga with a more realistic touch than what I'm used to. But it certainly isn't the same-old slice-of-life drama seen before either (how many manga can you think of in which the thirty-year-old bachelor protag adopts his late grandfather's illegitimate little child?)

'Bunny Drop' (or 'Usagi Drop' in Japanese) is a story about the responsibilities adults must face up to, but too often they forget the most basic lessons in maturity because they are too wrapped up in their own lives and problems.
Anne Freya
Don't open the spoiler out of curiosity if you don't want your fun in reading this manga to be ruined BADLY. Don't say I didn't warn you. :p

Well...it's not that I never expected this kind of ending at all from the start, but still...in the end I was kinda surprised too... What's more funny is that I don't find it weird or feel opposed and disappointed like what other readers feel.

Hmm, I guess because deep down in my heart I saw that coming and kinda prepared for it or maybe I'm getting used to
Philippe Lhoste
Critique des tomes 1 à 6.
Original. Daikichi, cadre de 30 ans, recueille Rin, sa tante... de 5 ans ! En fait, la fille de son grand-père, récemment décédé, qui a eu l'enfant avec sa femme de ménage qui n'en veut pas.
Daikichi se fait rétrograder, sacrifiant une partie de son salaire, pour faire moins d'heures supplémentaires et pour mieux s'occuper de Rin. Il s'acquitte de sa tâche avec sérieux et s'investit à fond (cela change des héros de manga ado et insouciants).
Au tome 5, on a un saut tempore
K0haku
I stumbled upon this manga somewhere across the vast online manga reading, and I love it.

The story seemed simple at the first, funny things happened with a 30 years old bachelor named Daikichi who adopted his 6 years old aunt named Rin. Besides some comedies around, Unita Yumi actually gave Daikichi and Rin's story more depth with considerations and compromises both of them had to make in order to live together.

The story itself was pretty much touching and heart warming from the go, but I rather
D.M. Dutcher
It's cute, but the background is somewhat weird and it comes across as yotsuba& without the humor.

Daikichi is a 30 year old single man whose grandfather passes away. Little did he know his grandfather fathered a love child with a woman, and six year old Rin is there. No one knows what to do with her, and rather than accept their idea to put Rin into an orphanage, he adopts her. Then it's all about a bachelor and a small girl getting to know each other as family.

The background doesn't make mu
Mike
Daikichi is a thirty year old bachelor who notices a six year old girl he doesn't recognize when he attends his grandfather's funeral. He finds out that she is the illegitimate daughter of his grandfather (and thus technically his aunt), and as much a surprise to the rest of the family as to him. Despite having just lost her father Rin is treated as an inconvenience and when the family sits down to "discuss" her future, clearly already having made up their mind to ship her off to wherever will t ...more
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 2
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • Princess Jellyfish, Vol. 1 (Princess Jellyfish, #1)
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 1
  • Honey and Clover, Vol. 1
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 09 (Yotsuba&! #9)
  • Suppli, Volume 1
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #1)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Volume 1
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 1 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #1)
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
Japanese Name (宇仁田ゆみ)

Yumi Unita was born in Mie Prefecture on May 10th, 1972. In 1998, she debuted with "VOICE" in Hakusensha's Young Animal. Since then, she has worked in many genres, having her works featured in seinen, josei, and shounen magazines.
More about Yumi Unita...

Bunny Drop (9 books)
  • Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2)
  • Bunny Drop 3 (Bunny Drop, #3)
  • Bunny Drop 4 (Bunny Drop, #4)
  • Bunny Drop 5 (Bunny Drop, #5)
  • Bunny Drop 6 (Bunny Drop, #6)
  • Bunny Drop 7 (Bunny Drop, #7)
  • Bunny Drop 8 (Bunny Drop, #8)
  • うさぎドロップ 9 (Bunny Drop, #9)
Bunny Drop 3 (Bunny Drop, #3) Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2) Bunny Drop 4 (Bunny Drop, #4) Bunny Drop 5 (Bunny Drop, #5) Bunny Drop 6 (Bunny Drop, #6)

“If I were to say, "this isn't a sacrifice" at this moment, it would reek of a lie...
... But I hope I'll be able to really say that in a few years' time.”
7 likes