Start by marking “Lessons at Blackberry Inn: Adventures with the Gentle Art of Learning” as Want to Read:
Lessons at Blackberry Inn: Adventures with the Gentle Art of Learning

Lessons at Blackberry Inn: Adventures with the Gentle Art of Learning

Experience life in a Charlotte Mason-style homeschool and join in the adventures of Carol and her family as they discover what the author calls "The Gentle Art of Learning" (TM) in this heartwarming story. Readers say that Mrs. Andreola s writing style has both a calming and a nurturing effect. Lessons at Blackberry Inn offers practical encouragement to new and veteran hom ...more
Published April 15th 2009 by Charlotte Mason Research & Supply Company

To ask other readers questions about Lessons at Blackberry Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons at Blackberry Inn

Kris Irvin
Apr 15, 2011 Kris Irvin rated it did not like it
I didn't hate this book. It was not the worst thing I've ever read. It had some redeeming qualities. But overall, it was not worth my time.

Here's the thing: this book drove me nuts. The first few chapters were just plain poorly written. The tenses were confused all over the place. The characters are all exactly the same - especially the kids - so they were extremely difficult to keep straight. I'd read a chapter and have to go back and skim it because I kept feeling like I was missing things. E
Amanda Lane-spears
Dec 26, 2015 Amanda Lane-spears rated it liked it
This book came highly recommended in my Australian homeschooling circle, where all the Charlotte mason followers are enamoured and romanticised by this "Amish-like" way of life. I happen to be from Pennsylvania and I found the historical sense of the story and the colloquial dialogue to be weak and wanting. Not to mention that The character development was slightly dry and dull. For instance everyone is so naturally patient, kind etc seemingly without ever having to work at it or without being t ...more
Carrie
Feb 23, 2015 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Felt the same toward this book as toward Pocket Full of Pine Cones:

Charlotte Mason believed in living books. I believe that is what Karen A. wanted to convey in this book. The story was extremely peaceful, which I needed when reading it; an escape from the commotion around me. Also after reading the Charlotte Mason companion, I found it helpful in seeing how to take vantage of our everyday activities to make learning 'gentle' and interesting. Yes, the story was idealistic and the composition isn
Clarissa
Aug 04, 2009 Clarissa rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this second taste of fiction from Karen Andreola. The scenes were comforting and refreshing. I felt reminded of what this homeschool journey can be like, if I let it. I know we can't go back in time, but this little book sort of makes me wish I could. (or at the very least, it makes me wish we were a little more rural and that times were simpler)

I'm buying this book so that I can re-read it at my leisure.
Trace
May 24, 2010 Trace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-book-list
I have two of her books, and I love them. She writes about the Charlotte Mason methodology of homeschooling, which I am leaning towards....

UPDATE:
DONE! I loved this one as much as I loved the other two books that I own by her... she has such an idyllic way of describing things.. just a lovely, lovely read...
Juli
Jan 11, 2010 Juli rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with this book and I'm barely even halfway through. It is full of all the beautiful things of life that I love. Country living, living off the land, good hard work, and of course home education. It's a fiction book, but gives so many ideas for real education without being preachy. I know I will be writing many things down in my notebook of ideas.
Anna Christsensen
Sep 30, 2014 Anna Christsensen rated it it was amazing
With the clear goal of inspiring readers to imitate the protagonist, Karen Andreola paints a beautiful image of a homeschooling mother. At times it was a tad too sentimental, but laid a compelling case for gentle learning.

Plus, I love books that honor happy marriages!
Lisa
Aug 02, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Sweet, simple sequel to Pocketful of Pinecones. An encouragement for new homeschooling moms of how to implement the Charlotte Mason method. An easy, pleasant read reminding me of the joys of the method of schooling we prefer.
Dec 26, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Sweet little story about a homeschooling mommma, her kids, and her loving husband. Good for homeschooling (and aspiring) moms. ;-)
Marilyn
Jun 07, 2015 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
This is my second reading. I find it such a gentle, sweet book - makes me yearn for a simpler life and my dream farmette in the country. It inspires me as I plan the next school year.
Joann10
Oct 20, 2009 Joann10 rated it really liked it
Shelves: relaxing-fiction
I enjoying the peacefulness of this book---the perfect read for a busy homeschooling mother wishing for peace and beauty into her own home.
Michelle
May 10, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
Got this for Mother's Day. Sweet, gentle story.
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Saphraneet
Saphraneet rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Lacey
Lacey rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Christa Bartlett
Christa Bartlett rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2012
Joy Vanderley
Joy Vanderley rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
Katherine
Katherine rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Lisa Hunt
Lisa Hunt rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Jennifer Strickland
Jennifer Strickland rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2013
Gail Merry
Gail Merry rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Jenni Mullinix
Jenni Mullinix rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2017
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Lnc
Lnc rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • More Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)
  • Books Children Love: A Guide to the Best Children's Literature
  • For the Children's Sake
  • Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe
  • Montessori Play And Learn: A Parent's Guide to Purposeful Play from Two to Six
  • You Can Teach Your Child Successfully Paperback
  • The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • Real Learning: Education In The Heart Of The Home
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • Living with Less So Your Family Has More
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Who Killed Canadian History?
  • Understanding Waldorf Education: Teaching from the Inside Out
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day