Start by marking “Lessons at Blackberry Inn: Adventures with the Gentle Art of Learning” as Want to Read:
Lessons at Blackberry Inn: Adventures with the Gentle Art of Learning

Lessons at Blackberry Inn: Adventures with the Gentle Art of Learning

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Experience life in a Charlotte Mason-style homeschool and join in the adventures of Carol and her family as they discover what the author calls "The Gentle Art of Learning" (TM) in this heartwarming story. Readers say that Mrs. Andreola s writing style has both a calming and a nurturing effect. Lessons at Blackberry Inn offers practical encouragement to new and veteran hom ...more
Published April 15th 2009 by Charlotte Mason Research & Supply Company

To ask other readers questions about Lessons at Blackberry Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons at Blackberry Inn

Carrie
Felt the same toward this book as toward Pocket Full of Pine Cones:

Charlotte Mason believed in living books. I believe that is what Karen A. wanted to convey in this book. The story was extremely peaceful, which I needed when reading it; an escape from the commotion around me. Also after reading the Charlotte Mason companion, I found it helpful in seeing how to take vantage of our everyday activities to make learning 'gentle' and interesting. Yes, the story was idealistic and the composition isn
Kris Irvin
I didn't hate this book. It was not the worst thing I've ever read. It had some redeeming qualities. But overall, it was not worth my time.

Here's the thing: this book drove me nuts. The first few chapters were just plain poorly written. The tenses were confused all over the place. The characters are all exactly the same - especially the kids - so they were extremely difficult to keep straight. I'd read a chapter and have to go back and skim it because I kept feeling like I was missing things. E
Anna Christsensen
With the clear goal of inspiring readers to imitate the protagonist, Karen Andreola paints a beautiful image of a homeschooling mother. At times it was a tad too sentimental, but laid a compelling case for gentle learning.

Plus, I love books that honor happy marriages!
Marilyn
This is my second reading. I find it such a gentle, sweet book - makes me yearn for a simpler life and my dream farmette in the country. It inspires me as I plan the next school year.
Clarissa
I enjoyed this second taste of fiction from Karen Andreola. The scenes were comforting and refreshing. I felt reminded of what this homeschool journey can be like, if I let it. I know we can't go back in time, but this little book sort of makes me wish I could. (or at the very least, it makes me wish we were a little more rural and that times were simpler)

I'm buying this book so that I can re-read it at my leisure.
Juli
I'm in love with this book and I'm barely even halfway through. It is full of all the beautiful things of life that I love. Country living, living off the land, good hard work, and of course home education. It's a fiction book, but gives so many ideas for real education without being preachy. I know I will be writing many things down in my notebook of ideas.
Trace
I have two of her books, and I love them. She writes about the Charlotte Mason methodology of homeschooling, which I am leaning towards....

UPDATE:
DONE! I loved this one as much as I loved the other two books that I own by her... she has such an idyllic way of describing things.. just a lovely, lovely read...
Lisa
Sweet, simple sequel to Pocketful of Pinecones. An encouragement for new homeschooling moms of how to implement the Charlotte Mason method. An easy, pleasant read reminding me of the joys of the method of schooling we prefer.
Sweet little story about a homeschooling mommma, her kids, and her loving husband. Good for homeschooling (and aspiring) moms. ;-)
Joann10
I enjoying the peacefulness of this book---the perfect read for a busy homeschooling mother wishing for peace and beauty into her own home.
Michelle
Got this for Mother's Day. Sweet, gentle story.
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Karyn
Karyn marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
LaToya
LaToya added it
May 17, 2015
Helena
Helena marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Sarah Dufton
Sarah Dufton marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Janey
Janey marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Courtney Gilliatt
Courtney Gilliatt marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning Beautiful Girlhood Pocketful Of Pinecones: Nature Study With The Gentle Art Of Learning:  A Story For Mother Culture Simply Grammar: An Illustrated Primer Story Starters: Helping Children Write Like They've Never Written Before