Start by marking “Daughter of Regals and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Daughter of Regals and...

Stephen R. Donaldson

Daughter of Regals and Other Tales

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,677 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The Creator Of Thomas Covenant Adds Eight New Wonders To The World.
In his first collection of short fiction, the bestselling author of White Gold Wielder presents eight superb stories, including "Gilden-Fire, " the famous "outtake" from Illearth War, and two brand new novellas written especially for this edition. Enter a world of mystics and unicorns, angels and kings -- a
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1985 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Regals and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Regals and Other Tales

Lasairfiona Smith
Oct 13, 2007 Lasairfiona Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who don't like Donaldson
His short stories are much, much, much better than his books. They are enjoyable and skip the long, drawn out, never ending, no resolution, obnoxiousness that are the rest of this book.

Donaldson, stick to short stories. You do so much better when you distill your good ideas down to what they should be: little bites of good story.
1000rpm
This is the book I was reading alongside the book above. I am not sure, but I may have read it previously in my youth when I read the Thomas Covenant novels. One of the stories in it is a cut out part of that series. Donaldson seemed to think that segment was worthy of publishing, while a lot of the rest that was cut is no big loss. The book was published in the 1980s.

The stories are a mixed bag in a number of ways. Some have aged poorly, while others are quite brilliant. There are sci-if, horro
Velveeta
excellent collection of shorts from his prime period
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
As a whole, this anthology is varied - it's pretty much half science fiction, half fantasy, with some of the fantasy stories set in some sort of fantasy medieval-like world and some of the fantasy stories set in more contemporary times. All the stories in this trilogy were first published in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

"Daughter of Regals":

In this fantasy novella, a young woman is trying to get through the evening that will determine whether or not she is a Regal. If she can manage to pass th
Alicia
Some friends recommended this to me as a way into Stephen Donaldson fiction. Not sure if I'm hooked just yet, but maybe I'll give it a shot. The fantasy stories in this collection where not that impressive. They were a little trite and predictable, which really, what fiction isn't? I'll give him credit for the uniqueness of his fantasy stories, which weren't always fluffy piles of happy magical creature fluff (except for the title story, which was pretty awful). But where he was really shining w ...more
Lord Humungus
One of my favorite podcasts recommended this book, and in fact the story on the podcast was featured in this collection.

I understand the author is famous for his fantasy work, so I was expecting to be intrigued or blown away by the stories in this collection. Donaldson's command of the language, and his occasionally florid style are satisfyingly impressive, but for the most part, I was unimpressed. My favorite story was "Animal Lover", a science fiction short, rather than any of the fantasy piec
Neil
A very varied collection of short stories with an interesting foreword describing how some of the stories evolved.

Daughter of Regals reminds me of A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin as well Mordant's Need. Mythological Beast and The Lady in White are in a similar vein, from a similar age, both well worth reading.

Animal Lover is a much more modern sci-fi - not my particular taste but could interest some who find Donaldson hard going in the longer trilogies.

Unworthy of the Angel is more akin
Steven
Though best known for his Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series of books, Donaldson also writes short stories and mini-novellas. This book is a collection of them. I am not a Donaldson fan, but this book is a good one. The longer short stories -- the mini-novellas -- are told very well, and are proof that stories don't have to be hundreds of pages long to have strong characters, good plots, and satisfying conclusions. If you have not read this book and do not run away from fantasy (magic, dragons ...more
Koo Drain
Really great short stories from a really great writer. This is one of the books I pick up when I want a quick fantasy fix. Can't tell you how many times I have read it - I am right inside the stories in seconds.
Cathie
The first two stories were difficult to read; the second I couldn't take at all. However after the first two Donaldson's style totally changed and it was easy, good reading. It felt like the 2nd part of the book was written by a totally different writer. I'm glad I continued reading.
J
A book of 8 short stories with a wide range of settings and themes. This book truly blends the realms of science fiction and fantasy together within the scope of its contents.

One of the stories is an out-take from the Illearth War, a book written by Donaldson previously. For this excerpt alone the book has value to anyone who has read and enjoyed the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever. However, many of the other stories within are at the very least enticing and interesting to read.

Som
Greg Curtis
I Loved this. Its Stepjen Donaldson back at his best, and though the work is shorter fiction, I would hardly call any of the tales in it short stories.

Its beautiful prose as always, and he is a master of setting the scene and laying out a plot to bring astory to life. The title story is a tad dark, showing signs of heading down the same pathway as first the Mordant's Dreams and then the Gap series, but he rescues it and it ends well. But for me the stand out is Unworthy of the Angel, which is a
Rachel
Partly good, partly average, partly really really weird.
Nichole Judd
Excellent collection of short stories!
Keith Trullinger
Great book! Classic Donaldson.
David Melbie
Oct 12, 2014 David Melbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Recommended to David by: Personal pick
One of my favorite authors. A few of these tales were great. The rest, not so great, but always good writing.
Thomas
Donaldson-lite. The Thomas Covenant experience (first trilogy) really pulled me in with suspense and the frustration one naturally feels toward an anti-hero. I recall waiting for each Donaldson book to hit the shelves. But it wasn't possible to duplicate the experience in these shorter stories (or really even in the second trilogy). Interesting to read a missing Covenant chapter. Conqueror Worm might appeal to strange high schoolers. Just a little better than "OK" for me.
Bill
Gripping, if somewhat dark short stories. Clearly for an adult audience, but one of things I like about these stories is that they make interesting and thoughtful points. Some of them are very dark and graphic though, so they are not to everyone's taste. One of them is great vampire story though, and I don't go in for that kind of thing. So while I recommend this as great literature, I also warn they you should approach it expecting some unappealing images.
Treygar
picked this up at a relatives house.

some fun short stories in this one, albeit some are forgettable.

I liked the one of the tough guy going into the forest to stop the evil witch, those type of heroic stories are always interesting.

Donaldson's stories all deal with different aspects of Magic and this is as good a collection in that genre as any.
Sarah Clinch
Daughter of Regals & Other Tales begins with an explanation of how the short story must demonstrate a greater skill than the novel - unfortunately as short stories go, these aren't fine examples. That's not to say this book is full of rubbish short stories, but I've read some fine short stories and these aren't those.
Don
Like "Reave the Just and Other Tales", this is a collection of short stories and novellas. Like Reave the Just, it isn't as good as the Thomas Covenant books, but is way better than the Gap Cycle. Of course, everything is better than the Gap Cycle. Worth a read.
AJW
Disappointed. I had high hopes for this collection of short stories by Stephen Donaldson.

Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant novels are my all time favourite stories, so I had high expectations. A couple of the stories are good, but the others were average.
Suzana Vuksanovic
I really enjoyed this book. It gave a glimpse to the depths Stephen Donaldson is capable of entering - and after hi Thomas Covenant series, he showed his depths were deep indeed...
A possibility of what this guy can unleash - BEWARE!!!
Lynne
Jul 21, 2009 Lynne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Lynne by: Husband put it in my stocking one Christmas
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
For a writer who calls himself "a notorious over-writer," Donaldson manages to use words with great economy as well. I'll be honest--it's been awhile since I read this; perhaps I'll revisit it and list a couple of favorite stories.
Ronald Wilcox
I loved the Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever series and in some of these stories, Donaldson shows his skill well. As with most short story collections, there are some that are very good (Animal Lover) and others that tried ....
Michael Woods
Two very good stories in this anthology make it worth reading - the first and last. The stories in between show us a very young writer struggling to learn his craft, but not afraid to take chances and make mistakes.
Paul
9/10

Donaldson wrote these at the apex of his writing prowess in the early to-mid-eighties. This collection illustrates the power of fantasy when used in highly capable hands.

A superb collection.
Heath
Short stories are not generally my thing. I don't care to take a quick dip in the pool. I want to float for hours until I prune up. This, however, was well worth reading. Great story telling!
Michael
I picked this up based solely on the fact that Donaldson wrote it. I really liked it and just as I was getting into Daughter of Regals, the story ended. Disappointingly short but very good.
Jan-Maat
OK set of short stories. In tone between the darker Covenant series and the lighter mordant series. I remember bits of a couple of the tales. Wouldn't seek it out.
  • The Women And The Warlords
  • Exiles of the Rynth (Irissa and Kendric #2)
  • Unicorn Variations
  • The Deryni Archives
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • The Forge in the Forest (Winter of the World, #2)
  • Honeymoon In Hell
  • The Flying Sorcerers
  • Saliva Tree and Other Strange
  • Yvgenie (Russian Stories, #3)
  • Where the Evil Dwells
  • The Mad God's Amulet (The History of the Runestaff, #2)
  • The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)
  • Traces
  • The Silicon Mage (Windrose Chronicles, #2)
  • Partners in Wonder
Stephen Reeder Donaldson is an American fantasy, science fiction and mystery novelist. He earned his bachelor's degree from The College of Wooster and master's degree from Kent State University. He currently resides in New Mexico.

Stephen R. Donaldson was born on the 13th May 1947 in Cleveland, Ohio. His father, James, was a medical missionary and his mother, Ruth, a prosthetist (a person skilled i
More about Stephen R. Donaldson...
Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1) The Illearth War (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #2) The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3) White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #3) The Wounded Land (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #1)