Start by marking “The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  62,523 ratings  ·  2,192 reviews
This enhanced eBook includes the full text of the novel plus the following additional content:
- An exclusive preview chapter from Tess Gerritsen's"Ice Cold," on sale in hardcover June 29, 2010
- Rizzoli & Isles, In Their Own Words: learn more about the lead characters in these special essays written by the author
- Rizzoli & Isles TV Pilot script: read pages from t
Published October 2nd 2001 by Random House Publishing Group (first published 2001)

Punk
Thriller. Trigger Warning for discussion of rape.

Let's review:
1. "He identifies and removes only the organ he wants. Nothing more. And what he wants is the womb." [...] "He hates women," she said. "He cuts out the one thing that makes them women." (p.60)

2. Ignoring the water bottle and the disgusting object it contained... (p.67)

3. "'She thought: "It's my fault. I shouldn't have been so careless." But that's how it is with women.' She looked directly at Moore. 'We blame ourselves for everythin
Old_airman
Maura Isles is totally missing. Jane Rizzoli is so much different than the TV show. I am a fan of the TV show so I decided to start with book #1. I was not disappointed in the book, but it was a bit of a shock to see Rizzoli as a homely, outsider fighting for her what was due her. The development of the characters was outstanding. The focus upon the impact on the lives of victims was fleshed out more than in any other crime novel that I have read. The surgical element was a bit overdeveloped for ...more
Oct 21, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like a murder mystery that's out of the ordinary
Shelves: it-takes-two
The Surgeon is a brilliantly-crafted tale of horror that's just so terrifying that you can't bear not to look. Seriously.

The story begins with a successful physician named Catherine Cordell who was nearly murdered a few years back in Savannah but lived to tell the tale because she blew her attacker away before he could finish the job. With her attacker's death, the string of grotesque torture-murders ends in Savannah, but then resurfaces in Boston. Which is just where Cordell now resides. The n
Raíla Soares
The Surgeon is a remarkable, wonderfully well-written thriller. I had never read such an amazing story like this in my whole life. I am serious. The killer's speech feels so real! While reading, I had the feeling that someone was watching me, like... It's scary.

So many mysteries behind every little thing of the investigation... There's a moment when they induce hypnosis in the main victim, Catherine Cordell, so she can remember things from the crime scene, which is also minutely described. It's
Buggy
Opening Line:"Today they will find her body."

The Surgeon has been dubbed as Rizzoli and Isles book #1 and even though this was a very good read I think anyone coming here as a fan of the TV series will be disappointed as the only similarities between the two is the name of one of the characters. Maura Isles is not in this story and Rizzoli is no Angie Harmon, (and probably one of the most dislikable heroines I’ve ever read- more on that later) If you’re at all sensitive to blood and vivid medica
Nikki
Trigger warnings: rape, mutilation, medical details (both descriptions of stuff like cancer and descriptions of accidents/operations).

That had to come first, because I spent much of this book wishing I had something firm and indestructible to crawl into, to keep me safe. The details are just horrifying -- it reminds me very much of my experience with Val McDermid's work. And, as with that, I had to read to the end to find out who the killer/torturer was, before I could begin to feel okay again.
Vanessa
Although this book is labeled as Rizzoli and Isles #1, only Jane Rizzoli appears in it. If you found your way here from the TV show, you'll find the Rizzoli in the source material quite different from the one on the show. For starters, not only is she a short woman but several characters (including Rizzoli herself) mention how plain she is. In other words, the book Rizzoli is no Angie Harmon. She also has a much less affectionate relationship with her family and male co-workers.

I needed some re
Sue
The Surgeon is a brilliantly written medical thriller, that will have you gripped and terrified from page one until you finish the novel. As a avid reader of mystery, suspense thrillers, this novel delivered so much more.

It was all a game. The Surgeon fed on terror. He attacked women who were victims. He was always in control. The victims had been tied down, raped and gutted.

Three women had been raped but only one victim had reported her rape to the police. All three had sought medical attenti
Aditi
The best Tess Gerritsen novel till date.
(Which is 11th August, 2012, in case you're wondering.)

The Surgeon won an award. Romance Writers of America Award. (For best romantic suspense)

Romance?! What romance? I was too busy with the serial killing and the slashing and the blood & the gore to be able to pay attention.

Tess Gerritsen goes inside the serial killer mentality. She wears that mentality and goes about her business of killing people (in the book) and chilling the reader to the bones.
Dan
This is a book that I probably would've never picked up on my own but, Amazon offered it briefly as a free download so, I decided to check it out. It is a fairly standard serial killer thriller but, don't let that dissuade you from reading it. "The Surgeon" is gripping suspense and Gerritsen is a gifted story teller.

The story centers around a serial killer in Boston who performs living dissections on his female victims. At times, the story is extremely grizzly but the juxtaposition of descriptio
Rebecca
If you like mysteries where you can try to put the clues together yourself, this book is not for you. You aren't getting the clues much before most of the characters, and you're not going to be able to guess the murderer early on. On the plus side, this means you don't spend much time frustrated at the characters for being idiots. But it was disappointing to discover that most of my theories were pretty much invalid and there was no way I would have been able to work it all out on my own.

But if
Patricia-k3
Gary
I began with book six in this series which prompted me to read this, the first. This author has shifted genres from romance to medical thriller to crime novel. The previous genres have left their fingerprints. It almost seems like the author comes into her own in this genre as the novel progresses weaving events together with increasingly focused tension.
As the novel nears the end, specific scenes become edgy and tense as she demonstrates her ability to deftly introduce new characters and settin
Cat

This is a hard book to review; I wanted to give it 3 Stars but its effect made me bump it up to 4. I started it on Saturday and finished it on Sunday; when I went to bed on Saturday it stayed with me and gave me vivid, horrible dreams. Most books don't have that effect.

Before going into my review, this isn't the Rizzoli & Isles of TNT's show (which I love); if anything this is what R&I would be on FX or HBO. It's gritty and dark and what a true "crime thriller" is meant to be. Overall, t
Clementine
There's a killer stalking his prey in Boston. The victims are killed in a brutal way: cut across the abdomen to remove their uterus and then slashed across the throat. Whomever is killing these women has surgical skill and knowledge. Is it a doctor? Nicknamed "the Surgeon" by the media, he eludes the police until he starts targeting prestigious doctor Catherine Cordell, the only surviving victim of a rash of similar murders in Savannah years ago. Can she help crack the case before it's too late? ...more
Cata
4,5 estrelas

O Cirurgião foi a minha estreia com a autora Tess Gerritsen. Decidi lê-lo não só devido às óptimas críticas que ouvi, mas também porque estava disponível na “minha” biblioteca e ainda bem que o fiz!

Este livro é o primeiro de uma série que já foi adaptada para a televisão e que provavelmente alguns de vocês já conhecem/viram - Rizzoli & Isles. Eu nunca vi, por isso comecei o livro às cegas.

A acção decorre em Boston, na qual um homem anda a assassinar mulheres. Estes crimes são pe
Brooke
I'm guessing, based on the number of reserves this book had at my library when I went looking for it, that many people are discovering Tess Gerritsen these days because of the new TNT show, Rizzoli & Isles. It's based on Gerritsen's books, and it's a fun, though not original, police detective procedural. Angie Harmon's Jane Rizzoli doesn't seem that different from Angie Harmon's Lindsay Boxer (from another police procedural book-to-TV adaptation, based on James Patterson's Women's Murder Clu ...more
Neide Parafitas
É verão, em Boston. Faz calor. As janelas são deixadas abertas... e é aí que ele ataca! A precisão das suas agressões e o facto de retirar o útero às suas vítimas, com estas ainda vivas, sugere que este psicopata é um médico. E assim o apelidam de "O cirurgião"!

Os crimes parecem ser similares a outros que ocorreram há alguns anos atrás e é neste contexto que surge a Dra. Catherine Cordell, única sobrevivente de um ataque muito semelhante aos que têm ocorrido sobre a mão do "Cirurgião".

Catherine
Fergie
The Surgeon is the first book in the Rizzoli & Isles series of novels by Tess Gerritsen. While Medical Examiner Maura Isles doesn’t appear until the second book, The Apprentice, The Surgeon introduces Boston Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli to readers. However, in many ways, Jane is a secondary character to the plot of The Surgeon. The real story belongs to Dr. Catherine Cordell and Boston detective Thomas Moore. I was surprised I enjoyed this book as much as I did for two reasons -- the firs ...more
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
She was who she was, and either you accepted it or you could just go to hell.

This was a new occurance for me, picking up this book. For the first time I picked up a book AFTER watching the television series and usually it is the complete opposite! In this case however, I had started watching the Rizzoli & Isles tv series last week and liked the first three episodes so much that I decided to try the book series out. And while they are castly different, I loved it just as much as the series.

Fo
Cara St.Hilaire
As a huge thriller buff, I cannot believe I just discovered this author. The novel starts in the voice of the beyond creepy killer and hooks you immediately. You will never sleep with your window open again.

We are introduced to Jane Rizzoli, smart, tough, and her own worst enemy. In fact, I did not love her in this debut but grew to adore her character in later books. Together, she and the very lovable Detective Moore hunt one of the scariest and disturbing criminals you have encountered in lit
Barbara
Wow! What an intense psychological thriller/mystery. This book is a bit grittier and more graphic than I prefer, but I was so caught up in the story, I just had to keep reading to see how this ended.

This is supposedly the first book in the Rizzoli and Isles series and I’m sure it is. If this was the author’s maiden effort, I can conceive that the original focus may have changed since characters and the author grow, evolve and develop. However, I became interested in this series after watching t
Simon Jenner
Catherine Cordell, raped and then about to be mutilated, manages to kill the serial murderer. She moves to Boston to start a new life as a surgeon, away from bad memories. When similar murders begin close to her new home and the killer makes a point of letting her know about it, a hunt for a copycat killer begins.

This story is not for the faint of heart. The tension builds steadily and the end is nail-biting stuff. I would recommend this to anyone who likes their fiction gruesome and their nerv
Mark
Sep 23, 2014 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: tv show
Sacha Alexander & Angie Harmon from the tv-series Rizzoli & Isles made me pick up this novel to begin with. It was actually a bargain price for the first 4 novels of this series in HC edition that made me buy on the premise of the tv-show. But quite early on in this book you discover the large difference between book and show. Now I get to read if miss Gerritsen can entertain me as much as the show does.

Well I do know that while this book is advertised as Rizzoli & Isles part 1 it is
Jordan
Obviously this book wasn't written for people who aren't okay with reading about adult subjects and violence... Just to clarify that. I will be discussing it, also.

I will temporarily stuff down my feelings about sexism and decency and morality and simply talk about the story and writing itself first. It was written well. The characters were well defined and developed. Despite some complaints about it, I didn't get bored. With my mood lately, that is something right there. Some moments were even
David
This is going to annoy people. What is it with women authors and their female protagonists? They all seem to either a - have an axe to grind, mostly against males, or b - think only they are right.

One thing did annoy me a lot, too much medical jargon without explanation of what it means. If you are using medical terminology at least tell the reader what it means, and does in the world.

The same goes for Rizzoli. She feels she has a point to prove. This gets annoying very quickly. The character is
Nathan Wilson
Very few authors have the ability to inspire me or grab my attention in the first 20 pages. Even as an aspiring author, I have difficulty opening a book and sticking to it. Tess Gerritsen changed that in recent years, skyrocketing to become my favorite author.

And so I pried open The Surgeon and embarked on a twisted journey following the investigations of Detective Jane Rizzoli.

The plot revolves around the grisly murders carried out by a serial killer dubbed “the Surgeon” for his use of scalpels
Christine Blachford
I read quite a lot of thriller/action/crime kind of books, but I didn’t really like this one. When it came down to it, the underlying story was quite good, but the beat of the story, the way it flowed didn’t resonate with me, and there were several things about it that I really didn’t like.

There was such an anti-male theme running through the whole book, which is somewhat understandable given the sort of crime that is dealt with, but isn’t very comfortable to read. I don’t always need to read pl
♥ Marlene♥
This was what I needed. As I said before not my normal genre. I read this genre a lot years ago. It is not mystery but more thriller type.
Really enjoyed it and I wish I'd had more books like this so i could pick another one..
One thing I was wondering about. You see that the book sometimes is called Jane Rizolli book number 1. but she doesn't really have the main lead in this book. I guess people were so interested by her, or the author? so that she decided to write more of her?
What I liked is th
rivka
Very intense read, and not recommended for those triggered by discussions of rape or related crimes. Crime scene and other descriptions are extremely graphic and vivid -- unnecessarily so. I could also have used less of the murderer's internal monologue. Yes, yes, he's evil and vicious and sees himself as the heir to the Incas and the Greeks. I get it already!

All that said, it was the kind of book you cannot put down, and some of the characters were especially well drawn. I will probably read mo
Longmire 3 42 Feb 23, 2014 01:56PM
Series books 22 249 Jan 13, 2014 01:54PM
The Women's Myste...: The Surgeon (#1) 5 55 May 14, 2013 12:53PM
Aussie Lovers of...: Rizzoli & Isles 4 31 Jul 28, 2012 08:14PM
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Bones to Ashes (Temperance Brennan, #10)
  • All The Pretty Girls
  • I'm Watching You (Romantic Suspense, #3)
  • The Calling of the Grave (David Hunter, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm #1)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller
More about Tess Gerritsen...
Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5) The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles #2) Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4) The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3) Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)

“Evil doesn't die. It never dies. It just takes on a new face, a new name. Just because we've been touched by it once, it doesn't mean we're immune to ever being hurt again. Lightning can strike twice.” 64 likes
“Where we go depends on what we know, and what we know depends on where we go.” 30 likes