Start by marking “Three Fingers” as Want to Read:
Three Fingers

Three Fingers

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Through a series of never-before-seen interviews and rare photos, documentary-maker Rich Koslowski reveals the horrifying true story behind the Cartoon industry--the story that Hollywood doesn't want you to see. Told in the same style as a Ken Burns documentary, with interviews of toon stars today as well as historical file footage of the early years, this work of fiction ...more
Published August 26th 2002 by Top Shelf Productions (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Three Fingers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Fingers

Ciara
May 29, 2014 Ciara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ciara by: Matt Hartzell
If you're fairly new to the world of graphic novels, and your knowledge of comics begins and ends with Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man; then Three Fingers will surprise and delight you.

If, on the other hand, you're an avid comic book reader, and you know that graphic novels can span a broad range of subject matter and artistic styles... Three Fingers will likely still surprise and delight you.

Rich Koslowski brings his considerable skill as an artist and writer to this quirky tale of 'Toon-dom
Darren Cormier
Perfect send-up of both the formulaic documentary-style structure of "True Hollywood Stories" type shows and the family-oriented image of Walt Disney. The manufactured conspiracies and drama of these shows is unveiled through its use of "eyewitness photographs", usually nothing more than a a blurry image with a vague reflection of the subject they are trying to cover.
I can't imagine this book would have been published in the 80s, when the Disney monolith was at is family-image zenith, and they
Chris
As I have said before, I'm not one to do graphic novels here mainly because it feels like cheating. I can put one of those away in an afternoon, so it's a good way of padding the list. For that reason, I'll only mention them here if they're something I really think y'all should read.

This is definitely one that you should all read.

We all grew up watching cartoons - Mickey, Donald, Bugs and all them - and we all loved them. Some cartoons made it big, and some did not. But they all had one thing in
Olga
Mar 24, 2012 Olga rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
This comic book makes you wonder why and if all cartoon characters you love have three fingers?
Written and drawn as a documentary this comic book introduces something new to the genre. This specific way of telling a story as short interviews, fragments of newspaper articles and 'real' pictures makes it really interesting and gives it a feel of a story based on true events.
It is a parody of animation and cartoon industry - even though all the names and titles are changed you can easily guess whic
Aaron Ishmael
Jan 19, 2012 Aaron Ishmael rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes satire of Famous Toons
Shelves: graphic-novels
The cover and overall plotline hooked me... "Did you ever wonder why cartoon stars only had 3 fingers?"
Definitely enjoyed Rich Koslowski's dark & twisted 'Hollywood Story to Success' parody. Pretty cool. Many people would get the Toons he's bringing the life, but carefully not infringing on copyrighted material...like 'Ricky Rat', 'Buggy Bunny', 'Dapper Duck'. Especially like how we intertwined the story with actual historical events / coverups like JFK, Martin Luther King Jr, Marilyn Monroe
Malcolm
A very quick read. Nice enough, but too simple to be anything other than a mild diversion.
Dave Riley
Great idea of course: what's behind the three fingers of animated cartoon characters? The story is bent to a historical chronology and mirrors the work of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse. But ultimately, it's all a bit shallow, although the delivery -- the layout, format, pitch -- is superb. It was one helluva surprize when the book ended... It ran out of puff and just stopped.

So I'm disappointed.

George Marshall
The central premise - that the characters in cartoon films are real (and exist in our own world in an oppressed underclass called 'Toons') is so clearly derived from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" that I find it hard to credit Koslowski for the three fingered theme which is genuinely original. It's a shame because it is beautifully drawn and could be a great comic. Oh well...
Amal El-Mohtar
Amazingly well done. I kind of wish the text boxes hadn't overlapped with the images as much as they did -- it seemed like a deliberate stylistic choice I couldn't figure out a reason for -- but elsewise it was just brilliant. Such intelligent slow-creeping horror spun out of childhood cartoons.

Keith Davis
I absolutely loved this funny and smart graphic novel. Koslowski's takes on the aging Warner Bros characters are excellent, particularly Bugs and Foghorn Leghorn. Finally we understand why all cartoon characters have only three fingers on each hand.
Christian Lipski
A 'real' documentary of the rise of movies starring 'Toons'. Rickey Rat goes from being a piano player in the Toon part of town to a famous movie star, but dark rumors haunt him and the Dizzy Walters studio. It's well done, and really affecting.
J.
It takes a particularly perverse writer to do a graphic novel documentary about the dark side of old cartoon characters. It has a nice, creepy feel and I really enjoyed it. But I don't think I would recommend it to many people.
Samra
this is like a Hollywood behind-the-scenes. it's very screwed up but great
Wes Young
Disney/Warner Bros. lore in a psuedo-history of what might have been. Think 'Roger Rabbit' meets 'Marvels'. It's more interesting than it is entertaining.
Matt Hartzell
Oct 19, 2014 Matt Hartzell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: ogn-indie
I thoroughly enjoyed this. My wife pretty much hit the nail on the head:

Jim
the perfect graphic novel. each word matters, each drawing is essential. each time i reread it there is something new.
Really interesting sort of alternate story of Disney and Mickey Mouse. Really liked it. Wanted it to go on longer.
Tim
Aug 10, 2011 Tim added it
Shelves: comic
Quick, dark, dirty and fun. A look at the history of cartoons in a new and twisted light.
9/28/09
Derek
A clever graphic novel meditation on fame and greed, using thinly disguised Disney characters.
Andrea
wonderful read.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Taylor Greil
Taylor Greil marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Rafael Doolittle
Rafael Doolittle marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Last Day in Vietnam
  • Chester 5000 XYV
  • Why Are You Doing This?
  • The Compleat Moonshadow
  • Pop Gun War Volume 1
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • No Straight Lines: Four Decades of Queer Comics
  • Strange Embrace
  • Gemma Bovery
  • Mail Order Bride
  • 5 is the Perfect Number
The King The 3 Geeks:The Collected "Going To The Con" Saga (Issues 1-3) Weapon Omega The List Piglet (Look and find)